Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-16 22:58:43

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Efects

Slowness effect that makes players go twice slower, color should be black.
There should als be passable effects, so if a player with passable speed effect touches a player without passable speed effect, then that playeer wil alss have passable speed effect.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#2 2018-07-17 00:46:19

LukeM
Website

Re: Efects

Just wondering, what do you want to use the slow effect for? I discussed this with the rest of the staff a few days ago, and although I think it would make sense to have it, we don't think it would really end up being used constructively...

#3 2018-07-17 00:50:09

Jersa
Banned

LukeM wrote:

Just wondering, what do you want to use the slow effect for? I discussed this with the rest of the staff a few days ago, and although I think it would make sense to have it, we don't think it would really end up being used constructively...

Oh man that's a simple answer, just give this effect to someone that has zombie effect and is passing through 30 layers of mud to kill himself //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile. Good enough?

#4 2018-07-17 00:57:10

Raphe9000

LukeM wrote:

Well, I find it strange how the Zombie effect is also a slow and low-jump effect. It's like squishing multiple non-existent effects into one, only making it useful in certain situations. I understand it automatically applies the effect, but I think it would make more sense if the Zombie effect was more of a spreading effect - the initial effects the first zombie has before getting it is spread universally, so a slow, low-jumping zombie will spread that to a high-jumping human, making it slow and normal jumping.) Then, we just have slow effects and low jumping effects, making it where these can be used separately, allowing different gameplay restrictions. It's like the no-jump effect. This allows customizable standard gameplay AND Humans vs Zombies maps.

What I'm saying may sound crazy, but I just wanted to get it out just in case anything I thought wasn't crazy.

Wooted by: (2)

#5 2018-07-17 01:59:31

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

I used a zombie effect (for both the low jump and slowdown) in one of my worlds to allow things to be placed closer together without you being able to rush past or jump over a section, and without adding invisible or ugly walls. I imagine if someone wants it for that purpose (they don't particularly need the low jump) it could work well.

suddenly random sig change

#6 2018-07-17 03:59:31

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Slowness efect = unspreadable zombie effect.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
#Joe Griffin
Signature

#7 2018-07-17 10:08:50

LukeM
Website

Jersa wrote:

Oh man that's a simple answer, just give this effect to someone that has zombie effect and is passing through 30 layers of mud to kill himself //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile. Good enough?

That's what I mean by not being used constructively XD

Raphe9000 wrote:

I think it would make more sense if the Zombie effect was more of a spreading effect - the initial effects the first zombie has before getting it is spread universally, so a slow, low-jumping zombie will spread that to a high-jumping human, making it slow and normal jumping.) Then, we just have slow effects and low jumping effects, making it where these can be used separately, allowing different gameplay restrictions.

I completely agree with you there. I've been thinking about it recently, and I think that would be a much better way of doing things (especially if the death effect was split off too), but it seems like a bit too big of a change for the current version of EE. I will definately suggest this to the rest of the staff for the rEEboot though when the time comes.

Slabdrill wrote:

I used a zombie effect (for both the low jump and slowdown) in one of my worlds to allow things to be placed closer together without you being able to rush past or jump over a section, and without adding invisible or ugly walls.

I guess that's probably the best use for it that I've heard so far, but it does still sound like a bit of a hacky use... I guess I'll discuss it with the rest of the staff to see what they think.

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

What would you use that for though? The slowness for zombies makes sense, as you would want them to be slightly slower than humans so they have to team up / surprise the player to infect them, but if the danger of infection isn't there then this isn't really needed.

Wooted by:

#8 2018-07-17 12:53:11

Raphe9000

LukeM wrote:

I completely agree with you there. I've been thinking about it recently, and I think that would be a much better way of doing things (especially if the death effect was split off too), but it seems like a bit too big of a change for the current version of EE. I will definately suggest this to the rest of the staff for the rEEboot though when the time comes.

I would agree implementation would be the hardest part, and it probably cannot be done in the current version of the game, at least not without breaking HvZ worlds. I feel there are certain quirks that would need to be worked out too. Like I said, I guess the easiest implementation would be to make it spread only the effects of the first person that touched the zombie effect at that time, so a world could give you slowness and zombie then high jumping, but you only spread slowness and zombie when you touch another player, and they only spread slowness and zombie no matter what effects they have. Another point I brought up in my first post was the collision of two opposite effects, in which I just suggested that they cancel each other out. That being said, another possibility (I don't necessarily like as much, but should still be brought up for discussion and consideration) is that the Zombie's effect is put as priority, cancelling the original effect and applying the opposite one.

You also brought up a point I was thinking of that I think would definitely benefit the game, even if it completely changes the zombie effect, when you mentioned if the death effect was also split off. I feel that this would make the zombie effect 100% customizable, actually singularly putting many different highly suggested items into the game. Mainly, a solitary death effect, a zombie effect that doesn't kill, every suggestion for slowness and low-jump effects, and all passable effects (presumably zombie that lasts for -1 seconds would make it last forever if it doesn't already, like with the multi-jump effect's jumps). It could also maybe mean spreadable teams or smiley effects, but I'm reluctant to believe that would make a positive change and would just overload players with options. The same applies for the gravity effect. I think it may work well if it was excluded. That being said, all of these could have their implementations.

All of this does bring up one issue I just thought of: The amount of customization will now make it where you don't ever know what you're getting when a zombie effects you. However, there is a very easy answer to that: Just make the effects hover over the player like the health effect does. I'd say a max of two or three would get the job done. Even a hierarchy would make a lot of sense, so you know the most important effects a zombie has. Maybe it would go: Curse -> Death -> Levitation -> Low Gravity -> Jumps -> Jump Height -> speed -> etc.

LukeM wrote:
ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

What would you use that for though? The slowness for zombies makes sense, as you would want them to be slightly slower than humans so they have to team up / surprise the player to infect them, but if the danger of infection isn't there then this isn't really needed.

I 100% agree with this. I will say though, an implementation would be if the zombie status is being used more in a singleplayer-oriented gameplay map than a multiplayer-oriented PVP map. You wouldn't need to segregate players to keep a player that has lifted their effects from getting them back. I would like to point out that while the jump height for EE is normal for platformer games, it can be pretty high in certain worlds depending on how they are created and what you do in them. A low-jump or slow effect could prevent the player from getting to strange places, and it removing the low-jump could be a sign of progression, unlocking more of the map without the player jumping extremely high. Then, a high jump could finally give them full access to the world. There are many more implementations too. Maybe for making new obstacles that take advantage of low-jumping, making an obstacle a player can only get past with a low-jump effect (like the ones done where you cannot get past if you have high-jump), making a map where you have a curse and are slowed down, but you can jump really high, you have to get somewhere in a time limit but you go slow, etc. Even with the zombie effect, maybe you start out with no (or bad) effects, and a ton of zombies have different assortments of effects. You try to get infected by the good ones whilst avoiding the bad ones to get their effects, then you cannot change your effects until you die because you can't get reinfected. Campaigns could also use the slowness and low-jump effects without worrying about players (or hackers) ruining the whole world for everyone.

#9 2018-07-17 22:00:58

KingN24

I would use the slowness effect in some games to give a challenge to players.
Also add a low-jump effect too for even more of a challenge.

Basically, these effects could be used for games that are meant to be frustrating. Whole new campaign ideas and game ideas could be made from these two new effects.

Heya.

banner.png

#10 2018-07-18 00:12:59, last edited by Xenonetix (2018-07-18 00:59:03)

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

Sometimes, you get a lot of feedback from people just by their reactions, or lack thereof in some cases, such as lack of woots of the original post in this instance. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

We have been considering the alternate effects for awhile, and are planning on adding some new effects soon.

We understand that there is definitely a worthwhile application for using low jump, so that may be implemented in future, as it can be used very creatively in gameplay.

As for slowness, KingN24 has basically hit the nail on the head, but not necessarily for the reasons he intended - Slowness could be too easily used for games that are meant to be frustrating, and little else. There are already many ways to become slow in Everybody Edits, whether it's with slow dots, mud, climbable objects, or zombies, but I don't believe there are many ways at all to implement any sort of low jump right now except for using zombies, which means it feels like low jump should be more accessible. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

There's one other effect I feel similar about, but I won't go into too much detail on that yet - Suffice to say, we have more effects planned. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Xenonetix-2.png

#11 2018-07-18 03:41:38, last edited by Slabdrill (2018-07-18 03:45:35)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Nice to see actual dev discussion about this //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

relevant:
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=42613
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … 00#p701400
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=37805
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=37175 (partially)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=36586
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=36145 (mainly the second post)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=34930
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=34929 (5th paragraph)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=33551 (partially)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=32532 (2nd paragraph)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=30585 (partially)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=29707 (first quote box)
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=27468 (partially)

I skipped the ones that ask for full effect customization. This only includes threads that looked like they might have it and appear when searching for "effect*" in the topic title in Game Suggestions.

I know some of the people who made these threads are still active, consider asking their uses for the effect? (I imagine it'd be used about as frequently as speed tbh; probably more because the default smiley speed is so high)

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by:

#12 2018-07-24 22:53:22

maytal

Interesting idea, maybe it would be useful? Like for example RPG-styled worlds

#13 2018-07-25 05:36:59

MWstudios

Color shouldn't be black, but cyan, like the fast speed effect. And the arrow on it can be reversed

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

Wooted by:

#14 2018-07-25 05:53:28

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

MWstudios wrote:

Color shouldn't be black, but cyan, like the fast speed effect. And the arrow on it can be reversed

It should combine with the speed effect

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#15 2018-07-25 05:54:57

Minimania
Moderation Team

Slowness effects can be used for players who make music worlds to allow people to listen to their music in slow motion, as there is no alternative to this aside from making people zombies (and that's not a good mix with music worlds)

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by: (3)

#16 2018-07-25 10:23:19

peace

LukeM wrote:

if we have slow effect we can recreat ean zombie wihtout actualy use the effect since maby we dont want kill effect or srpeak effect alo oh boy a zombie wiht slowness in mud what even will hapen? :d

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#17 2018-07-25 10:50:01

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

if we have slow effect we can recreat ean zombie wihtout actualy use the effect since maby we dont want kill effect or srpeak effect

What would you use that for though?

#18 2018-07-25 11:55:30

peace

LukeM wrote:
peace wrote:

if we have slow effect we can recreat ean zombie wihtout actualy use the effect since maby we dont want kill effect or srpeak effect

minigames where you have to act like a zombie but arent one

peace.png

#19 2018-07-25 12:13:41, last edited by azurepudding (2018-07-25 12:15:53)

azurepudding

Xenonetix wrote:

Sometimes, you get a lot of feedback from people just by their reactions, or lack thereof in some cases, such as lack of woots of the original post in this instance. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

We have been considering the alternate effects for awhile, and are planning on adding some new effects soon.

We understand that there is definitely a worthwhile application for using low jump, so that may be implemented in future, as it can be used very creatively in gameplay.

As for slowness, KingN24 has basically hit the nail on the head, but not necessarily for the reasons he intended - Slowness could be too easily used for games that are meant to be frustrating, and little else. There are already many ways to become slow in Everybody Edits, whether it's with slow dots, mud, climbable objects, or zombies, but I don't believe there are many ways at all to implement any sort of low jump right now except for using zombies, which means it feels like low jump should be more accessible. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

There's one other effect I feel similar about, but I won't go into too much detail on that yet - Suffice to say, we have more effects planned. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Just as a low jump effect could benefit gameplay, I think a slowness effect could as well.. I mean, we basically already have it in the form of zombies, so it's already there.  We'd just like it so it doesn't spread, so that multiple people can be in an area without worrying about contact ruining things for others.

Also, paired with low jump, this could allow some more compact platforming.  Could be useful if you have just a bit of your world to use, but I'm sure others can find other decent usage of it.  As said above, no jump seems like it'd only be a hindrance, but it has its uses, so I think slow effect would have uses too.  I mean.. we also have the option to give players 54 mid-air jumps, which seems to be a far less useful option than a slow effect.  I was about to say, it could be paired with levitation for a slower ascent, but it appears fast effect doesn't propel you faster, so I guess that could be a flight effect option, idk..

Azure2.png

#20 2018-07-25 12:17:22

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:
LukeM wrote:
peace wrote:

I mean what minigames would that be useful for? IMO the only reason it makes sense for a zombie to be slow is to give non-zombies a slight advantage, and if you can't infect people then theres no reason to have that.

#21 2018-07-25 19:47:27

shadowda

LukeM wrote:

so that when you have no gravity you move at the rate of slow dots.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#22 2018-07-25 21:30:15

peace

or what about give curse a zombie effect by gigving them slowness and low jump so the curse player acts like a zombie but isnt one

peace.png

#23 2018-07-25 23:02:47

Minimania
Moderation Team

LukeM wrote:
peace wrote:
LukeM wrote:
peace wrote:

I mean what minigames would that be useful for? IMO the only reason it makes sense for a zombie to be slow is to give non-zombies a slight advantage, and if you can't infect people then theres no reason to have that.

Imagine this, a human vs zombie world. Humans are given slowness and low jump effects, while zombies are given no other negative ailments. Humans will thus be the same speed and be able to jump as high as zombies, which evens the playing field and would make for some great gameplay.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#24 2018-07-30 23:38:51

Trytu

Why many peoples suggest slow effect??
I think reverse movement effect could be more interesting/usefull.

4puJMaQ.png
Thanks to Nikko99 for signature
https: //media.discordapp.net/attachments/402174325349941249/482121641745186816/KHiX2DEFewAAAABJRU5ErkJggg.png
https: //i.imgur.com/YFtzyXA.png

#25 2018-07-31 13:49:57

Andymakeer

Trytu wrote:

Why many peoples suggest slow effect??
I think reverse movement effect could be more interesting/usefull.

i disagree
i believe the purpose of effects is to create unique and creative gameplay types.
Reverse movement, aka "confusion effect", is not a creative gameplay. Why:

• Cannot be used as a new mechanic, as the player speed/jump/gravity remains the same.

• Its ALWAYS a debuff.

• Does not encourages new types of challenges, as its a non-changing premade mechanic

But i'd love to have a Slow Effect. It allows more speed-based parkours without having to place that spreading zombie bs

F

Wooted by:
Anatoly1533127734717391

Board footer