Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-22 04:22:12, last edited by N1KF (2022-03-26 09:14:08)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Will we be able to preserve all EEU worlds?

This thread was named "eeu offline when" but I changed it since it distracted from the reason I made this thread.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#2 2021-08-22 05:04:47

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Re: Will we be able to preserve all EEU worlds?

If you want to play EEU with no one else around, you could always do that.  If you wanna play it fully offline, probably never.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#3 2021-08-22 05:22:04

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

wow rude

I can understand why the staff wouldn't want to make EEU Offline. But if we don't, it makes me wonder if we'll get a world dump the same way we did with EE. This one would probably be much easier to work with because it's smaller, probably 10,000 worlds at the very most (including blank worlds).

Everybody Edits is Fred

#4 2021-08-27 00:20:56

NoNK

10,000 blank worlds, just what i need on my hard drive

#5 2021-10-23 06:08:15

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Seriously though, what are the plans with EEU's worlds? Are they going to be saved like EE's were? The new staff team have owned EEU for nearly a year so why is there so little info about this?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#6 2021-10-23 12:50:07

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

N1KF wrote:

Seriously though, what are the plans with EEU's worlds? Are they going to be saved like EE's were? The new staff team have owned EEU for nearly a year so why is there so little info about this?

We've said from the start that there will be a way to transfer EEU, EE and EEO worlds into EE!. Though we do not yet know in what form that will take. We have no plans to create EEUO.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#7 2021-10-23 23:08:08

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

That's not very reassuring. The process of getting to know EE worlds were being preserved took nearly a year of prodding, and the development of EEO itself dragged out as well. Even then, we have a broken final product. World portals in the ArchivEE don't work correctly, thousands of world URLs are broken, and music notes are supposedly broken in ArchivEE (though I haven't confirmed this). To this day, the archives are still incomplete. Since ArchiveEE, LukeM's still been too busy to include significant metadata in ArchivEE.

If the world transfer process is going to broken like with EEO, we at least need the original contents of the EEU worlds. We don't know how close EE! will be to EEU, or if it will even be suitable for playing EEU levels. Your post doesn't mention if there's going to be an archive of them, so how can we be sure they're being handled well?

I'll end this off by recognizing that ArchivEE came from the previous staff team (if I recall correctly) and was probably harder than an EEU archive would be. Here's hoping this is handled well and the resources are available to save all EEU worlds in perfect condition.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#8 2021-10-24 12:06:39

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I'm gonna preface this post by saying it's just my current understanding and that our plans may change. I'll also be including my opinion and I'll do my best to signify that, but basically what I'm about to say may not be a true reflection of what actually ends up happening.

As far as I know, there are no plans to create an archive of EEU worlds. My understanding is that there will be a period of time in which you'll be able to import EEU worlds into EE!, but after that anything from EEU not saved will be lost.

EEU worlds would definitely be broken in EE! and require adjustments - especially if the world requires precise jumps based on the EEU physics. We have confirmed that edit and vision zones will be returning, but the physics will be much closer to EE's physics than EEU's. Naturally, the different textures of blocks used between versions will also cause some issues, but I don't see that being too problematic for EEU since it only had very basic blocks.

I believe strongly that whatever is made to transfer worlds into EE! will be made with little or no faults as the team that would be working on it are paid professionals. So I'm confident that metadata will be fine, subject to the fact that not all EE action blocks will be in EE! at launch. I'm also not certain whether the tool will receive updates as and when those blocks do get added.

In honesty, I think there will be a far greater focus on EE and EEO worlds, especially as their physics will be compatible with EE!. There just isn't the same amount of passion for EEU. Time isn't really much of a factor but the financial aspect is. Even as someone who has no real stake in what money is spent I'd probably not consider it worth it to preserve EEU. Sure there were some nice worlds made, but they were all very basic and can easily be remade in EE!. I think a simple copy-paste of the layout of the blocks and then an adjustment of the art would fix most worlds. And considering how hated the EEU physics were, I don't think the physics and the graphics of the game are anything worth preserving in their own right.

If you want a physical preservation of EEU in the form of EEUO I'd recommend it be community-made. Alternatively, if you rallied together those who are passionate about EEU to show us how loved that version of the game actually is, I'm sure we'd consider creating an EEUO if it is something the community really wants. But right now I personally do not see that passion for it and I never really have - and I don't think anyone else on the EE! staff team sees a passion for EEU either.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2021-10-24 18:38:24

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I agree with the sentiment that EE Flash is much more significant and worth preserving than EEU's, and I'm glad the new EE is following EE Flash's footsteps with its physics. This eases some of the worries I had and I hope to see users being able to play old EE levels in the new EE.

Now that we know EEUO probably won't be made by the staff, my curiosity about that detail is laid to rest. Admittedly the name of this topic is a bit distracting from what I actually wanted to know. What I want to talk about is this in particular:

mutantdevle wrote:

As far as I know, there are no plans to create an archive of EEU worlds. My understanding is that there will be a period of time in which you'll be able to import EEU worlds into EE!, but after that anything from EEU not saved will be lost.

Why not? It's likely not everybody who played EEU will transfer their worlds to EE!, so some decent levels could be left behind. It's also good to have a historical record, particularly in cases like EEU where info is very limited. Even a list of public worlds would suffice, as somebody could just go through them all and save the world data somehow.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#10 2021-10-25 02:16:54

HydraK90

when it be do

|         hi, i'm anne!        |
    i do some silly things

#11 2021-11-19 09:07:33

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

N1KF wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

Why not? It's likely not everybody who played EEU will transfer their worlds to EE!, so some decent levels could be left behind. It's also good to have a historical record, particularly in cases like EEU where info is very limited. Even a list of public worlds would suffice, as somebody could just go through them all and save the world data somehow.

Are the staff planning to at least give us a list of worlds so we can save them?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#12 2021-11-21 00:17:39

Abiqi
Formerly Excoluss

As EEU wasn't a complete game to begin with, it's obvious they won't make EEU Offline.

Regarding the world archive: There aren't even many good worlds on EEU, the ones which are though had their IDs posted here. Most worlds aren't really too complicated, don't have too many types of blocks scattered around. So from a point allowing us to import worlds from EEU to EE! is the best solution here honestly.

Not today...

#13 2021-11-24 02:12:22

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Excoluss wrote:

There aren't even many good worlds on EEU, the ones which are though had their IDs posted here.

It doesn't matter whether they're "good" or not; they're still worth preserving. That aside, I can think of at least one "good" world which isn't on the list. I don't want to take the gamble of assuming ever single world worth saving is on the list. All I'm asking for is a list of worlds, which should not be a difficult to do as it be a few thousand at the very most.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#14 2021-11-24 06:48:52

chzandham

I don't think Everybody Edits Universe was really ever popular, and it certainly wasn't popular enough to be continued as the developers have given up on the idea after several years and are now working on Everybody Edits! apparently.

This a good example of development limbo, and I always wonder if we'll ever get anywhere.

tptD29P.png

Credits to Stubby For Making me this Signature!

#15 2022-03-26 09:12:44

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Are we getting a list of EEU worlds? I'll take a "maybe later", because I just want the chance for all the worlds to be archived.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#16 2022-03-30 18:20:49

soniiiety

It really depends, if you ask it might be done. It's good to have  ideas and be creative.

#17 2022-03-30 21:40:38

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

soniiiety wrote:

It really depends, if you ask it might be done. It's good to have  ideas and be creative.

Well, I've already asked three times over four months and have gotten no response. That should be more than enough time for the staff to decide if they are willing to give out a simple list of world IDs.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#18 2022-03-31 16:28:26

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

mutantdevle wrote:

To my knowledge, this has not changed. This includes no release of a world list.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#19 2022-03-31 22:42:28

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Why is that the case?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#20 2022-04-01 18:41:28

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

It's just a case of the demand not justifying the effort. I've not seen anyone asking about this besides you. I'm not aware of the technical details that would be involved in doing this, so I don't really know how much time it would take to acquire and sort through them. But most of the worlds in that list would probably be empty, incomplete, or just worlds where people have been testing things. So it would kinda feel like just preserving things for the sake of preserving them rather than for any significant value. It is likely that Fixel is the person who would need to create the list and he is understandably quite busy. But besides time there is also the issue of consent - while we do technically have the rights to publish anything created in EEU/EE!, I don't think it would be fair to assume that all EEU players would want their worlds shared. It certainly isn't worth the effort of asking people and an opt-out system of consent wouldn't be fair either; I think the people most likely to object to their worlds being shared are probably also some of the less active.

We do already have your thread listing EEU worlds: https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=47648. The creator of that Google Doc seems active enough since they did approve my edit suggestion to add one of my worlds and have now added their discord details. So people should be able to freely add to it. Admittedly it isn't comprehensive, but it's good enough. Any world worth preserving is either already in that list - or if the owners of any worlds not listed there do care enough to preserve something they've created, they should have plenty of time to preserve it before EEU is shut down. I am sure that there would be a handful of worlds that you or I would choose to preserve if we found them in a list. But ultimately the responsibility of preserving worlds falls on the world owners.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#21 2022-04-01 19:15:54

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Thanks for responding. This is far from urgent, since EEU will probably be open for a while longer. I also wasn't aware there was only one person suited to making the list, so that helps me understand why it wouldn't be as easy as I assumed it would be.

Regarding consent, I assumed this would be even more easily dealt with than EE's older worlds. EEU already has its own "opt-out" system for worlds with the public access setting. I don't actually remember if this it was available at the time of EEU's beta being opened up, but if it was, it could be considered somewhat of a privacy measure.

In addition, EEU has world titles and play counts. If you combined the three you could find worlds that were popular, can be accessed in the lobby, and don't have a name that says "don't join" that became popular but aren't on the EEU worlds list. At that point it should be fairly straightforward to list those, but understandably it could be complex to actually reach that point.

I suppose a more effective way at gauging popular or historically "significant" worlds would be the lobby logging suggestion I made back in 2019, but if there are no related logs then it would already be too late.

People probably don't have many memories with EEU, but I'm hoping EE! has better record keeping so that the memories people make can be revisited.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:
N1KF1648836954792707

Board footer