Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-11-30 01:59:33

Minimania
Moderation Team

Re: Dear Staff, get a lawyer

Minisaurus wrote:
John wrote:

The best way to keep the game safe is to not use knowingly stolen assets at all.

And who better to decide that than a law expert, the staff is completely unaware of what is and what is not "stolen assets"

I'm pretty sure we all know exactly which assets were stolen

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by: (2)

#27 2020-11-30 04:36:16, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-30 20:24:42)

Minisaurus
Banned

Minimania wrote:
Minisaurus wrote:
John wrote:

The best way to keep the game safe is to not use knowingly stolen assets at all.

And who better to decide that than a law expert, the staff is completely unaware of what is and what is not "stolen assets"

I'm pretty sure we all know exactly which assets were stolen

Again, just speculations, those assets perhaps are legally property of EE and don´t infrict any copyright law at all.
Only an expert lawyer of that area of law can provide us the correct answer to those uncertainties.

I wonder if ever anyone from the community or staff communicated with Facebook and Nintendo legal department, those company&corporation have lawyers buffet that attend all legal queries from customers.
I think those are the emails respectively:
[email protected]
[email protected]
That would actually solve once for all the fear we have about the legitimate ownership of EE assets.

A lawyer expert could guide the staff to approach those corporation/company safely.

It is quite intriguing how the staff avoid taking legal responsibility and prefer to keep the game hidden underneath a rock.
Closing existing loopholes & gaps is fundamental for the EE safety.

#28 2020-11-30 09:12:11

peace

btu the beta pack was alsso sotle yet its reused

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#29 2020-11-30 10:25:40

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

peace wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the beta pack wasn't sotle from any one source. The Beveled name it has in EEU seems to come from the basic technique in construction. This beveled mirror looks a lot like EE's Beveled blocks...

41xtlUCvnJL._SX300_.jpg

You can see the pattern in various video games like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Tetris. Simply searching for images of "video game block" will catch some examples of beveled blocks in video games.

512x512bb.jpg

Everybody Edits is Fred

#30 2020-11-30 17:11:10

peace

N1KF wrote:
peace wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the beta pack wasn't sotle from any one source. The Beveled name it has in EEU seems to come from the basic technique in construction. This beveled mirror looks a lot like EE's Beveled blocks...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com … SX300_.jpg

You can see the pattern in various video games like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Tetris. Simply searching for images of "video game block" will catch some examples of beveled blocks in video games.

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thum … x512bb.jpg

this concerns mei f f they ACTUALY sotle assets of nintendo

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#31 2020-11-30 17:27:39

Minimania
Moderation Team

peace wrote:
N1KF wrote:
peace wrote:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com … SX300_.jpg

https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thum … x512bb.jpg

this concerns mei f f they ACTUALY sotle assets of nintendo

You're about 10 years late to the news

21cZxBv.png

#32 2020-11-30 17:45:37

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

To be honest, regardless of if it’s legal and regardless of if we could get away with it, isn’t it just better that we don’t steal other people’s graphics?

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#33 2020-11-30 18:04:21, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-30 18:12:22)

Minisaurus
Banned

mutantdevle wrote:

we don’t steal other people’s graphics?

And what is steal in the first place?

There is a ton of ways to refute that it is not steal in any way.
Are we stealing smileys? No way.
Are we stealing assets? No way.

So EE as a whole is completely free of any legal issue, it is really dissapointing how the staff thinks they are stealing when they are not, making that minor changes in the graphics to add them to EEU is pointless as all graphics are from EE and EE haven´t infrict any law NEVER.

Only an expert lawyer in the matter can tell what is stolen, all staff and community thoughts are just biased asumptions without solid evidence.

The copyright law is very extensive and there is many ways you can be in the safe side of it and still get reference from other games/sources.
Every artist most of the time uses reference image and reimagine graphics for their own creations, and it is completely legal and incentivized.

For example: "fair use allows for limited use of copyrighted material without authorization from the author of the creative work"
There is one hundred ways all the graphics EE has presumably stolen are actually inside the fair use of content.

#34 2020-11-30 18:11:11, last edited by Different55 (2020-11-30 18:12:01)

Different55
Forum Admin

Minisaurus wrote:

plainly false

Minisaurus wrote:

plainly false

Minisaurus wrote:

So EE as a whole is completely free of any legal issue

plainly false, do not state this unless you are or have a lawyer. They're erring on the side of caution when there's potential radioactive material. That's not a bad choice. Lawyers are expensive, and morally, legally, this is not a bad move.

Minisaurus wrote:

Only an expert lawyer in the matter can tell what is stolen

Just straight up BullSnot™. We all know what was stolen. Whether or not the law sees it that way, *we* know.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (3)

#35 2020-11-30 18:13:25

Minimania
Moderation Team

Minisaurus wrote:

Only an expert lawyer in the matter can tell what is stolen, all staff and community thoughts are just biased asumptions without solid evidence.

So you're telling me if someone walks into my house and I see him take the coat off of my rack and they walk out, I can't legally claim that they stole my coat?

21cZxBv.png

#36 2020-11-30 18:13:51, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-30 18:27:50)

Minisaurus
Banned

Different55 wrote:
Minisaurus wrote:

plainly false

Minisaurus wrote:

plainly false

Minisaurus wrote:

So EE as a whole is completely free of any legal issue

plainly false, do not state this unless you are or have a lawyer. They're erring on the side of caution when there's potential radioactive material. That's not a bad choice. Lawyers are expensive, and morally, legally, this is not a bad move.

Minisaurus wrote:

Only an expert lawyer in the matter can tell what is stolen

Just straight up BullSnot™. We all know what was stolen. Whether or not the law sees it that way, *we* know.

plainly false
Can you prove that my assumptions are plainly false or you just like to say plainly false?

As you assume that, I can assume that the assumption that EE ever stolen anything is completely and plainly false.
(This can only be determined by a lawyer expert in the matter, so dont bother to do so).

Minimania wrote:

So you're telling me if someone walks into my house and I see him take the coat off of my rack and they walk out, I can't legally claim that they stole my coat?

That has nothing to do with intellectual property rights. (Intellectual rights are a lot more complex to analize).

_

As said, all the community and staff assumptions are not more than assumptions. We need lawyer advice to clarify those legal inquiries.
And even an expert lawyer can fail, not because this lawyer is wrong, but because both sides want to be right, so the staff need to know in what aspect EE is right, and in what aspect EE has done wrong, this is vital in case EE is sued eventually, don´t let someone catch EE unprepared.

#37 2020-11-30 18:30:26, last edited by Different55 (2020-11-30 18:31:48)

Different55
Forum Admin

Minisaurus wrote:

Can you prove that my assumptions are plainly false or you just like to say plainly false?

As you assume that, I can assume that the assumption that EE ever stolen anything is completely and plainly false.
(This can only be determined by a lawyer expert in the matter, so dont bother to do so).

Different55 wrote:

We all know what was stolen. Whether or not the law sees it that way, *we* know.

Enough with this pseudo-lawyer talk. Stop talking about what can be proven, that's what everyone hates about lawyers. This isn't a courtroom. We're in reality. Things were stolen. The smilies 100 pixels above the text I'm typing are Facebook smilies. The blocks embedded into the game are Nintendo graphics. These aren't assumptions, they're not allegations, because this isn't a courtroom and nobody here is a lawyer. These are facts, those still exist.

Different55 wrote:

They're erring on the side of caution when there's potential radioactive material. That's not a bad choice. Lawyers are expensive, and morally, legally, this is not a bad move.

They don't want stolen content in their game. Screw the lawyers, that's not a bad decision just for morality's sake.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#38 2020-11-30 18:39:14

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

oiYHtSw.png

I'd like to think this image speaks for itself.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (4)

#39 2020-11-30 18:40:00

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

mutantdevle wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/oiYHtSw.png

I'd like to think this image speaks for itself.

wow they made a facebook smiley after your profile pic
sue them!

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#40 2020-11-30 20:17:16, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-30 20:34:17)

Minisaurus
Banned

I am going to ask Nintendo and Facebook and see what they think, maybe they can provide a wiser and more efficient solution to this crossroad.
Go on and continue having the fear in your heart, but I am quite sure EE is free of all guilt and Facebook and Nintendo will confirm it probably this week.
I am not a staff member, but I am quite sure to know what the staff team want, and it is to keep this topic silent, and I am not obligated to their decisions.
They don´t want to ask any lawyer and they don´t want to comfront those companies, they want to live under a rock.
I won´t represent the staff, of course, but I will ask as a customer what is going on.

It is most likely they won´t answer me about this as I am indeed not a member of the staff, but I lose nothing trying to communicate with them.

#41 2020-11-30 20:19:46

some woman

When did this have anything to do with SEGA? The brick, basic block, and face block graphics are taken from New Super Mario Bros., and the grass on the grass block is taken from a remake of the original Super Mario Bros.

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#42 2020-11-30 20:47:47

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Minisaurus wrote:

I am quite sure to know what the staff team want, and it is to keep this topic silent

There is no reason we'd want to silence you lol. I think the points you have made in this topic are very flawed (N1KF made some valid points though). You just don't seem to understand that regardless of the legal aspect we simply do not want to use the stolen graphics (and yes, they are stolen, simply looking at their origins proves that). I don't understand why you are demanding we seek legal advice over something that doesn't really matter?

some man wrote:

When did this have anything to do with SEGA?

The music in this video uses music taken from a Sonic game - I'm unaware of any assets taken from SEGA though.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#43 2020-11-30 20:47:49

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Minisaurus wrote:

I am going to ask Nintendo and Facebook and see what they think, maybe they can provide a wiser and more efficient solution to this crossroad.
Go on and continue having the fear in your heart, but I am quite sure EE is free of all guilt and Facebook and Nintendo will confirm it probably this week.
I am not a staff member, but I am quite sure to know what the staff team want, and it is to keep this topic silent, and I am not obligated to their decisions.
They don´t want to ask any lawyer and they don´t want to comfront those companies, they want to live under a rock.
I won´t represent the staff, of course, but I will ask as a customer what is going on.

It is most likely they won´t answer me about this as I am indeed not a member of the staff, but I lose nothing trying to communicate with them.

"you guys should get a lawyer so that you dont get copyrighted"
"no lets just distance ourselves from stolen content before we get in trouble"
"im going to talk to facebook and nintendo and they WILL notice and then you WILL have to get a lawyer!"

i8SwC8p.png

#44 2020-11-30 20:59:18

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

Theory: Minisaurus has been trying to sabotage EEU for months.

His first method of attack was posting dozens of suggestions, breakdowns, reviews, questions, and bug reports to force the staff to pause working on the game in order to decipher his unique brand of wordiness and illegibility.

Now that closed beta 2 electric boogaloo has started, he is resorting to trying to convince them to reuse blatantly stolen EE graphics, and showing that he knows exactly who to contact in order to bring this to the attention of the assets' owners.  If he can delay this game no longer, he will invoke the wrath of Nintendo copyright lawyers.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

Wooted by:

#45 2020-11-30 21:14:27, last edited by N1KF (2020-11-30 21:15:11)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Different I think you're missing the point. Check this part out here:

Minisaurus wrote:

The copyright law is very extensive and there is many ways you can be in the safe side of it and still get reference from other games/sources.
Every artist most of the time uses reference image and reimagine graphics for their own creations, and it is completely legal and incentivized.

For example: "fair use allows for limited use of copyrighted material without authorization from the author of the creative work"
There is one hundred ways all the graphics EE has presumably stolen are actually inside the fair use of content.

The EE smiley is not a Facebook smiley. While the connections are pretty obvious, there are differences in color, saturation, and arguably EE smileys' most unique trait—the white outline.

iaL9p20.png V6BSbex.png5rMoeXv.png

Minisaurus is defending this as fair use (or fair dealing, since EE isn't based in the United States to my knowledge).

Everybody Edits is Fred

#46 2020-11-30 21:14:53

Minimania
Moderation Team

Dawg Mini I've been for replacing the stolen graphics for years. Over time, I've made completely original replacements for the brick, grass, and metal pack. You can find them by clicking my signature. Where'd you come to the idea that we absolutely want to keep using these graphics?

[Note that I'm speaking for myself here, but you can clearly see I'm not alone in these thoughts]

21cZxBv.png

#47 2020-11-30 22:11:01, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-30 22:21:53)

Minisaurus
Banned

Content of the email sent to the legal department of Nintendo and Facebook respectively asking about their thoughts about all of this:

TBH, those might not be every single supposedly "copied" block/smiley, perhaps I forgot about some of them, but the point is to see their thoughts as a general consideration.

Wooted by:

#48 2020-11-30 22:18:08, last edited by N1KF (2020-11-30 22:18:39)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

The mad lad actually did it. Now we wait. This could be one of the most important moments in Everybody Edits history.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#49 2020-11-30 22:28:29

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

As suspected, the nuclear option.  Minisaurus is 100% attempting to hit EE where it hurts, the empty wallet of ZendroForce.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#50 2020-11-30 22:32:53

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

32OrtonEdge32dh wrote:

empty wallet of ZendroForce

next update new patreon tier

i8SwC8p.png

Cola11607374010786785

Board footer