Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-02 06:23:20, last edited by Joeyjoey65 (2020-09-02 06:24:57)

Joeyjoey65

open worlds

Bring back single clicking and no godmode to open worlds. I don't understand why this was changed at all to begin with, made it feel nostalgic in some way imo.

arrow wars used to be so good
unknown.png?width=960&height=565

#2 2020-09-02 08:33:10

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Re: open worlds

Can we take a moment to remember the weirdness of open worlds? People talk about playing and editing worlds separately as if there's an unspoken split between the two, a good example being the split between the Worlds an World Creation forums. Updates over the years have reinforced this split, yet the original open worlds didn't do this.

Although I joined in late 2011 think there is a lot of forgotten appeal in open worlds, not just nostalgia. Open worlds can have lots of interesting interactions that can't happen when just playing or editing worlds, some of which so dynamic and unpredictable that nearly no other game could compete in this niche. Combine that with gravity bending system and EE is an incredibly unique game.

Arrow wars seems like one of those EE phenomena most old-time players know about, but nobody ever really talks about. I've been here for seven years and this is the first time I've seen it described or talked about in any way outside the implied context of those open worlds. Its like we don't need to explain it; you see it and understand it without any formal rules. Arrow wars, combined with EE's advanced physics system could allow for a minigame with potential for deep metagaming. It would be like a small platform fighting game, but not quite describable with traditional video game terms, and could probably even the basis for a competitive game on its own.

Open worlds is another example of the huge, overlooked potential of EE. I could write another giant forum topic about EE's potential and I probably will.

-

That said I don't think I want the single-clicking to return. It feels pretty bad to control, makes it harder to draw lines, and doesnt even prevent mass trolling as it gives speedy clickers and hackers an unnecessary advantage.

In my opinion a better solution would be to allow drag editing, but limit the amount of blocks in a small time period (like five blocks a second). If you edit more than that, they'll be added to a queue and appear as transparent "ghost blocks" only you can see, and they'll properly appear once one of the recent block timers is up. (It's simpler in my head than how I'm describing it.) This could also work well as a customizable world setting to prevent trolling.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#3 2020-09-02 09:13:24

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

I say bring back trolling.
Nothing was more fun and EE niche than gaining the trust of an owner, having him give you the code. And then troll behind his back and pretend you didn’t know anything about it.
There were so many good moments such as trolling a boss to code level while owner was looking away, coming back with a sadface while looking at the troll. "Helping him clean it up" and then trolling again right in front of his face while bringing out the ":P" smiley.
Ah, nostalgia.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2020-09-02 09:15:39

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Also you could trap players without code in blocks and they’d be forcibly ejected out of the level.
Really gave that proper satisfactory feeling of "destroying" a world.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#5 2020-09-02 14:15:24

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Create an open world without a code and you'll have single-clicking and no god mode. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by: (5)

#6 2020-09-02 14:21:03, last edited by Priddle (2020-09-02 14:22:01)

Priddle

Sandbox worlds that are protected with a Super Secret Edit Key™ allows players with edit to enter God Mode and there's no single-click editing. Worlds without edit key still use single-click editing and don't allow players to enter God Mode.

Edit: Sniped by HG //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2020-09-02 15:48:28

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Priddle wrote:

Sandbox worlds that are protected with a Super Secret Edit Key™ allows players with edit to enter God Mode and there's no single-click editing. Worlds without edit key still use single-click editing and don't allow players to enter God Mode.

ay, I suppose I wasn't even paying that much attention to the current situation of open worlds. Can we have boost arrows blocked in open worlds though? They're pretty OP for trolling, I'd say worse than music blocks yet those are forbidden. Maybe there could be world settings such as this when creating an open world.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#8 2020-09-02 23:20:27

Minimania
Moderation Team

N1KF wrote:
Priddle wrote:

ay, I suppose I wasn't even paying that much attention to the current situation of open worlds. Can we have boost arrows blocked in open worlds though? They're pretty OP for trolling, I'd say worse than music blocks yet those are forbidden. Maybe there could be world settings such as this when creating an open world.

Parry this meta you filthy casual                         I'm joking please don't destroy me

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

#9 2020-09-03 00:29:20

Cola1

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

Also you could trap players without code in blocks and they’d be forcibly ejected out of the level.
Really gave that proper satisfactory feeling of "destroying" a world.

I remember that, the players in open worlds were actual threats, especially the ones using WPE Pro to simulate being able to click and drag to place blocks fast. They were up the top of EE powerlevels until trap-and-eject was patched out.
Admittedly it was funny watching the struggle-esque choppy movements as players were cemented in blocks and promptly deleted from the level. Bonus points if they survive long enough to switch to //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad or //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

Cola11599089360784587

Board footer