Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#101 2019-07-04 10:33:24, last edited by Aoitenshi (2019-07-04 10:41:06)

Aoitenshi

Re: ByteArray's weekly development vlogs!

RavaTroll wrote:

HEY GUYS ANOTHER WEEK ANOTHER GAME DEV LOG! is my favorite sentence now.

It's his trademark at this point.

#102 2019-07-07 15:50:57

Spongelito

peace wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/lDKoMEh.png
https://i.imgur.com/Exaovvp.png

here better comparing

EDIT more contrast does make it look mroe liek dirt while wiht les contrast it looks mor eliek an brown stone so btoh could work but i dont like th bottom row ofpixels wiht extr ctonrast (he darker parts) it makes it mor elooking liek a tile whihc coudlnt really be happnening

Is there going to be a quality setting where you can make it look like EE Classic?

Hits that yeet all day and all night
1a8d1a0b38ed2d870651225a3daa431fa1f10b3ar1-455-528v2_128.jpg

#103 2019-07-08 03:38:37, last edited by ByteArray (2019-07-08 03:40:15)

ByteArray

Okay, well, today's vlog was again primarily focused on other things, namely my recent upgrade to a new camera I've been working towards getting for a couple years now. I also briefly discuss some changes I've been working on in EEU, mostly in optimizing the way messages are sent between the game client and the server.

They now use integers for ID's (using 7-bit encoding for the 32-bit integers), instead of strings of text. It should now consume less bandwidth, and it's not even all that much more difficult to work with. Other than that I didn't end up getting much done since there were various distractions I had to deal with, but I think this week should be better and I plan on jumping right back into things tomorrow.

I want to have a lot more progress to report next week! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Spongelito wrote:

Is there going to be a quality setting where you can make it look like EE Classic?

There won't be since that wouldn't really make much sense in the context of it being a completely different game, plus they wouldn't scale well to larger sizes. And while I understand the concern some of you have about the style of the graphics, we have to focus on making the best experience possible for new players rather than catering to the nostalgic elements from the old game. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

Wooted by: (3)

#104 2019-07-08 06:18:15, last edited by Gosha (2019-07-08 06:18:56)

Gosha

ByteArray wrote:

They now use integers for ID's (using 7-bit encoding for the 32-bit integers), instead of strings of text. It should now consume less bandwidth, and it's not even all that much more difficult to work with. Other than that I didn't end up getting much done since there were various distractions I had to deal with, but I think this week should be better and I plan on jumping right back into things tomorrow.

So what you are saying is that last week you only replaced string ids with integers. Something that could be done (considering all complications that might occur) in several hours at maximum and less that an hour at minimum?

Good luck with eeu progress y'all

#105 2019-07-08 09:55:46

peace

Gosha wrote:
ByteArray wrote:

So what you are saying is that last week you only replaced string ids with integers. Something that could be done (considering all complications that might occur) in several hours at maximum and less that an hour at minimum?

Good luck with eeu progress y'all

he has a life too and makes othe rgames aswell it snot hes doign Ee(u) 24/7

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#106 2019-07-08 13:20:00

ByteArray

That did indeed only take an hour or two, but as I said there were many distractions, and that's not something I'm happy about. I'll do better this week, just watch. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#107 2019-07-08 13:50:40

Processor

I'm so glad the "huge overhead" of strings was removed. The noticably improved performance will bring massive amounts of new players to EEU. I know progress is slow but adding important features like these is definitely worth delaying the release by a week. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#108 2019-07-09 08:55:58

LukeM
Website

Processor wrote:

I'm so glad the "huge overhead" of strings was removed. The noticably improved performance will bring massive amounts of new players to EEU. I know progress is slow but adding important features like these is definitely worth delaying the release by a week. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

At this point it's unlikely that I'll have finished my stuff before Byte, so it doesn't really delay EEU if he strays off the critical path for a bit. This sort of thing isn't that important but it might as well be done if it's not going to push EEU back.

#109 2019-07-11 00:26:38

Processor

So when will the open beta be?

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#110 2019-07-11 00:27:24

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Processor wrote:

So when will the open beta be?

Early 2019

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by:

#111 2019-07-11 00:35:41

Kira

So when will the open charlie be?

#112 2019-07-11 00:43:09

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

LORD MASTER KING wrote:

So when will the open charlie be?

right before the open delta

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#113 2019-07-11 00:59:36

Victoria
Formerly Koya556
Website

ByteArray, Soon a universe is love.. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Yan Joshua knows as Nightmore, 7kudmath, Ygor Matheus, Kogor, Koya and RQ aka ~
I'm a professional artist, talented in various art forms, and also a programmer.
I had been playing Everybody Edits for four years ago. ~
Learning English and Japanese, Portugal ~
Native Portuguese speaker, fluent ~
20 years old, April 5, 2003. ~
He/Him ~

Contact information:
Discord: Kenny 💀#0578
In-game: 7KUDMATH
Xbox: YanJoshuaRQ
Steam: YanJoshuaRQ

#114 2019-07-15 05:14:43

ByteArray

This week I feel like I've gotten back to making good progress on EEU! I still have a lot of room for improvement in the way that I schedule work and other things, but I'll continue to improve with time. Anyway, the biggest things that I worked on were to do with giving and removing edit permissions, making coins collectable, helping the graphics team with improving the smiley and starting to create some new ones. There were also some smaller things I worked on like helping Xenonetix with some minor stuff for the recent update, and some things to do with my other ongoing projects. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Here's the video, including a short gameplay clip to show a useful little feature to do with edit permissions:

#115 2019-07-15 10:17:34

AllenCaspe9510
Website

ByteArray wrote:

This week I feel like I've gotten back to making good progress on EEU! I still have a lot of room for improvement in the way that I schedule work and other things, but I'll continue to improve with time. Anyway, the biggest things that I worked on were to do with giving and removing edit permissions, making coins collectable, helping the graphics team with improving the smiley and starting to create some new ones. There were also some smaller things I worked on like helping Xenonetix with some minor stuff for the recent update, and some things to do with my other ongoing projects. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Here's the video, including a short gameplay clip to show a useful little feature to do with edit permissions:
https://youtu.be/DREx_w37iL0

Hey!!
You got the 755000th Post

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Wooted by: (2)

#116 2019-07-22 15:01:57

Latif

New EEU smileys:
qsgCPOH.png
They look pretty good.

Hidden text

#117 2019-07-23 05:07:39, last edited by ByteArray (2019-07-23 05:08:38)

ByteArray

Alright, well I meant to post this earlier but with everything going on it didn't really make sense to bring it up then. But anyway, my latest video was a fairly short one that primarily focused on the progress I've been making on the smileys for EE Universe! The downscaled versions Latif posted are fairly accurate, but when actually rendered at that size they look a little more "clean" and crisp.

I'd embed a preview, but I'm on my laptop right now and the smiley SVG's are currently just on my PC. But I suppose I might just wait to show them in more detail until next week once I've done a few further adjustments as I make some more new expressions. Sometimes it's best to not get too much feedback along the way since it can end up slowing down the process. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

I did work on other things last week, but as I said in the video, there's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that doesn't really make sense to talk about. But there should be some good stuff to talk about next week, as we continue to wrap up the necessary work to get EEU into closed beta. With everything that's going on with EE, it really can't come soon enough.

#118 2019-07-23 15:01:47

mikelolsuperman
Website

Hey guys, another month another data breach

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#119 2019-07-23 16:39:17

Mariomaster

When's the new EEU beta? With EE down aside from Kongregate, we need new EE more than ever.

#120 2019-07-24 01:58:24

ByteArray

Mariomaster wrote:

When's the new EEU beta? With EE down aside from Kongregate, we need new EE more than ever.

I feel like it really isn't too far out. The pieces are coming together, and it's closer than ever to being ready. We can't guarantee any specific date right now simply because there are so many variables at play, but I understand the urgency of the current state of things. We really do need EEU to the enter closed-beta stage as soon as possible.

Wooted by:

#121 2019-07-24 02:08:52

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

I think the new smileys look great, congratulations to the graphics designers.

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by:

#122 2019-07-24 02:26:41

bunglybongle

honestly i love joshua's facial hair.

keep the beard plox

Wooted by:

#123 2019-07-24 12:12:12

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

ByteArray wrote:
Mariomaster wrote:

I feel like it really isn't too far out. The pieces are coming together, and it's closer than ever to being ready. We can't guarantee any specific date right now simply because there are so many variables at play, but I understand the urgency of the current state of things. We really do need EEU to the enter closed-beta stage as soon as possible.

From what I've seen of your videos (all of them), I wouldn't have made this assessment. Is it that there are other things that others (Luke) have been working on that just need to be combined with what you're working on or am I overestimating the amount of content that's going to be in the beta version? (Maybe a mix of both?).

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#124 2019-07-24 13:28:48

ByteArray

mutantdevle wrote:

From what I've seen of your videos (all of them), I wouldn't have made this assessment. Is it that there are other things that others (Luke) have been working on that just need to be combined with what you're working on or am I overestimating the amount of content that's going to be in the beta version? (Maybe a mix of both?).

I agree that I can definitely be a bit over-optimistic at times, and for all I know this could just be yet another of those times. But from what I've read on here, I do get the impression that many people are expecting a bit more from the closed-beta than will actually be there right at the start.

There will be no shop or payments, but you will see your balance of Jewels & Stardust as calculated by Xenonetix. There will probably be no decorative blocks or backgrounds as they're so simple to add afterward that I wouldn't want them to hold back the release. There won't be very many smiley expressions or accessories, since they're not super important to gameplay. The number of interactive blocks will probably be very limited since we need time to plan how we need the systems to integrate with eachother.

Essentially, we need to focus on the core things that are needed to make it at least playable. Accounts, a few saved worlds per player, physics bugfixes, a new lobby to see your saved worlds and currency, the ability to change your world title, and other smaller things. And I do understand how ridiculous it is that we're still barely at this point even this far into the year. It's absolutely insane.

There's always so much that I hope to accomplish, but I'm always held back by my emotions or whatever. My mind's always so scattered and I have a hard time focusing on the things that need done. I always feeling the looming weight of the future—what if EEU is a complete train-wreck? What if people are disappointed with what we've done after all the support financially? How quickly is it going to be torn to shreds by hackers, ruining it for everybody?

But I push forward against what feels like an impossible obstacle. We can't give up now, not after everything that's happened. Even if some people will be disappointed by how simplistic the initial closed-beta version will be, there will be updates. And eventually we'll be ready to enter the next stage—the public release. That's when we'll have a full gameplay experience, with the shop, more blocks & interactive systems, more smileys, etc.

We can only take this one step at a time, and no matter how slow progress might be, we'll get there eventually.

We will release EE Universe.

#125 2019-07-24 13:39:32

Kira

ByteArray wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

I agree that I can definitely be a bit over-optimistic at times, and for all I know this could just be yet another of those times. But from what I've read on here, I do get the impression that many people are expecting a bit more from the closed-beta than will actually be there right at the start.

There will be no shop or payments, but you will see your balance of Jewels & Stardust as calculated by Xenonetix. There will probably be no decorative blocks or backgrounds as they're so simple to add afterward that I wouldn't want them to hold back the release. There won't be very many smiley expressions or accessories, since they're not super important to gameplay. The number of interactive blocks will probably be very limited since we need time to plan how we need the systems to integrate with eachother.

Essentially, we need to focus on the core things that are needed to make it at least playable. Accounts, a few saved worlds per player, physics bugfixes, a new lobby to see your saved worlds and currency, the ability to change your world title, and other smaller things. And I do understand how ridiculous it is that we're still barely at this point even this far into the year. It's absolutely insane.

There's always so much that I hope to accomplish, but I'm always held back by my emotions or whatever. My mind's always so scattered and I have a hard time focusing on the things that need done. I always feeling the looming weight of the future—what if EEU is a complete train-wreck? What if people are disappointed with what we've done after all the support financially? How quickly is it going to be torn to shreds by hackers, ruining it for everybody?

But I push forward against what feels like an impossible obstacle. We can't give up now, not after everything that's happened. Even if some people will be disappointed by how simplistic the initial closed-beta version will be, there will be updates. And eventually we'll be ready to enter the next stage—the public release. That's when we'll have a full gameplay experience, with the shop, more blocks & interactive systems, more smileys, etc.

We can only take this one step at a time, and no matter how slow progress might be, we'll get there eventually.

We will release EE Universe.

jesus-vision-encounters.jpg

Wooted by:
peace1591597617782319

Board footer