Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-18 17:47:21

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Re: ByteArray's weekly development vlogs!

This might sound a bit weird but the default smiley we are shown in that picture reminds me EXACTLY of how the smiley pancakes from the teletubbies show looked like.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#27 2019-06-18 17:47:46

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

1x1 hooks being impossible is nice, it means I don't have to look out for exploits everywhere //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

suddenly random sig change

#28 2019-06-18 18:07:12

Gosha

Nothing is impossible until proven otherwise. Maybe time will show..

#29 2019-06-18 19:21:55

peace

ByteArray wrote:

like sticky and bouncy blocks!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

This might sound a bit weird but the default smiley we are shown in that picture reminds me EXACTLY of how the smiley pancakes from the teletubbies show looked like.

to be far im not into him i lie the //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile we have now bette rthough and th emisley yellow we use for almost all smileys in EE

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#30 2019-06-18 20:49:45

Minimania
Moderation Team

This might not be a popular opinion, but I've actually taken quite a liking to the smiley. My nickname for it is death stare pancake

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

#31 2019-06-18 23:29:09

HeyNK

Slabdrill wrote:

1x1 hooks being impossible is nice, it means I don't have to look out for exploits everywhere //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Oh, this is actually fantastic. Now make it so invisible blocks and gravity and portals are NEVER added to the game, and suddenly this is a direct upgrade from EE.

#32 2019-06-19 02:37:02

Wizard2002

You've done a good job at restoring my hopes for EEU, it isn't just dead silent out there anymore <3

The Derpiest Wizard there ever was //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Wooted by: (3)

#33 2019-06-19 10:16:35

AllenCaspe9510
Website

HeyNK wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:

Oh, this is actually fantastic. Now make it so invisible blocks and gravity and portals are NEVER added to the game, and suddenly this is a direct upgrade from EE.

Wait...
No No No, invisible portals is a must! Together with the arrows

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#34 2019-06-19 15:19:54

peace

byte you should post more pictures with you using new blocks so we can see more

peace.png

#35 2019-06-19 23:37:10

HeyNK

AllenCaspe9510 wrote:
HeyNK wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:

Wait...
No No No, invisible portals is a must! Together with the arrows

No. Wrong. Bad. Incorrect.

The design philosophy for EEU, and any other multiplayer game with young persons making up the majority of the audience should not solely be "What good can this feature bring about at the intended use", but also "How would it detract from the game if this feature was abused".

Pros and cons basically. Don't just look at the positive.

Pros of invis portals: You can make some cool stuff

Cons of invis portals: People who know nothing about designing levels (majority of EE) will clog up the lobby with terrible unplayable levels using invis portals that are only fun to play if you are the owner of the world and you have the otherworldly esoteric knowledge required to know what the hell is even going on in the world

Wooted by:

#36 2019-06-20 07:26:03

ASDruska

HeyNK wrote:
Koto wrote:

"Please give me less tools to build with"

maybe don't play bad levels then. should we remove coins because some of the community like to spam coins which may or may not lag people?

cringe ^
based v

#37 2019-06-20 07:53:59

peace

shoudl we remove bolcks because some poeple dont know there is a blcok in their way

peace.png

#38 2019-06-20 09:19:29

Kirby

Kirby wrote:

The argument that "if someone abuses (x), it's just bad level design, therefore this feature/suggestion should stay/shouldn't be overlooked" makes sense, but for invisible arrows I do think there's another factor that should be taken into account.

Invis things aren't useful intuitively. Unless someone has a really good idea or is really good at level design, invis things are extremely difficult to not "abuse". When coins were introduced to the game, people definitely could've just flooded worlds with them if they wanted to, but if someone wanted to create a decent level it wouldn't be hard for them to figure out how to use coins to benefit their world.

With invis things, it's REALLY hard to make them work, as it's easy for the owner to falsely assume that their locations are obvious. This is an inherent issue with anything invisible, and unless the level builder really knows what they're doing, it's inevitable.

Wooted by: (5)

#39 2019-06-20 09:23:26

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

ByteArray where is the double block layer that Xeno said

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#40 2019-06-20 10:05:53

Minimania
Moderation Team

Well we obviously won't see that yet considering the only released packs we've seen are going to be on the same layer, unless gravity arrows are going on a different layer or something

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#41 2019-06-20 11:06:11, last edited by Aoitenshi (2019-06-21 15:42:36)

Aoitenshi

Kirby wrote:

The argument that "if someone abuses (x), it's just bad level design, therefore this feature/suggestion should stay/shouldn't be overlooked" makes sense, but for invisible arrows I do think there's another factor that should be taken into account.

Invis things aren't useful intuitively. Unless someone has a really good idea or is really good at level design, invis things are extremely difficult to not "abuse". When coins were introduced to the game, people definitely could've just flooded worlds with them if they wanted to, but if someone wanted to create a decent level it wouldn't be hard for them to figure out how to use coins to benefit their world.

With invis things, it's REALLY hard to make them work, as it's easy for the owner to falsely assume that their locations are obvious. This is an inherent issue with anything invisible, and unless the level builder really knows what they're doing, it's inevitable.

As I actually extensively use these invisible gravities and portals, I would be pretty opposed to having them removed. Though they have less use case than coins, they are still a level designing tool as much as the former are, and how good they are depends on how you design the gameplay around it. If one comes across invisible gravities that makes no sense, or just adds to the frustration, that is not a good level design.

Invisible things in itself are not inherently bad, but they are certainly not a tool you want to abuse as much as visible gravity arrows. Running into invisible arrows takes control away from the players and may add to the frustration because by itself, there is no way to figure out where exactly they are until they stumble across it the first time and memorize it. Players hate losing control in any case and this also applies to the game, and this is probably why so many shunned upon any usage of invisible gravity.

Done right though, invisible gravity can also contribute to the experience. What the level creators could have done with the invisible gravity was to take advantage of what they are good at, and minimize possible frustration and/or loss of control as much as humanly possible. What are they good at? Being hidden and therefore not detracting from the background/in-game art. How do you minimize frustration? Make them predictable. How do you make them predictable? Make it a recurring pattern, over and over. How do you make sure they realize the recurring pattern? Make a controlled environment where it's required for them to take advantage of the recurring pattern.

This is essentially what I've implemented with the concept of ledge climb in my third Station (which utilizes invisible dot). I dedicated the entire six first mini games to have them familiarize themselves with how ledge climbing works, and commonly implemented dozens of these ledge climbs throughout the level consistently on every single corners. Ledge climbing ended up adding more to the players' repertoire of possible actions, which I believe ultimately added to the experience, not detract.

#42 2019-06-20 11:21:40

skullz17

They should just make a better lobby system or find other ways to promote worlds with good level design, then even if the bad worlds exist, doesn't matter because we don't have to play them.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#43 2019-06-20 13:00:15

ASDruska

so can we get diagonal arrows so we can make wall jumps and conveyors better?

cringe ^
based v

#44 2019-06-20 14:47:39

Snowester

the real question is, is smiley customiser added? yk accessories and stuff like that.

#45 2019-06-20 23:32:19

HeyNK

ASDruska wrote:

maybe don't play bad levels then.

Yeah. That basically translates into "Don't play EE, period" because there are no good levels in the lobby because they all have bad invis stuff all over them.

Trust me. I don't play bad levels. That's why it's so hard to play EE.

#46 2019-06-21 02:37:24

azurepudding

HeyNK wrote:
ASDruska wrote:

maybe don't play bad levels then.

Yeah. That basically translates into "Don't play EE, period" because there are no good levels in the lobby because they all have bad invis stuff all over them.

Trust me. I don't play bad levels. That's why it's so hard to play EE.

When people don't play bad worlds, they don't get increasing attention.  Because something can be abused doesn't mean it should be removed.  Imagine if there was some in-game system that detects anything that remotely follows the shape of a hook jump, but the game deleted those blocks for you, forcing you to design your world differently- even if it wasn't intended as a hook jump.  Or any formation of blocks that might be detected as hovers, or heck, even stairs.  Any diagonal line of bricks wouldn't be allowed.  Any line of dots- not allowed.  I could go on with examples, but see how it can harm a game if you purposely remove a feature due to the potential of poor use of it?  Literally any tile in the game can be poorly used, but this is up to the level designer.  Those who abuse will have their levels sink down on the list, those who make cool worlds will ascend.  To purposely take away tools from skilled builders and designers is not something we should want if EE/EEU is to grow bigger than it is. 

EE is dwindling down in popularity and doesn't have enough players to consistently put out new, fun levels on a regular basis.  Knowing that the game is going to shut down is also likely discouraging any large projects for now.  Whatever invisible stuff you find now cannot fairly be criticized.

Azure2.png

#47 2019-06-22 01:43:58

HeyNK

Bad argument, invisible portals decrease quality.

#48 2019-06-22 02:29:13, last edited by AllenCaspe9510 (2019-06-22 03:06:20)

AllenCaspe9510
Website

HeyNK wrote:

Bad argument, invisible portals decrease quality.

Dude, how can we even make any jumpscares? Unique Techniques? Miracle changes?
Removing Invisible portals is a huge flaw in the game, so if you see someone whose abusing it, then get out that world, no one wants to see a world that is unfair.

Edit,
    Everybodyedits was popular back then because of all the bad to worst levels that the noob people have made, and then even improve themselves because of the best worlds that the best people have built, and people often try to learn from them by copying their style, the techniques. and opportunities. Who would abuse invisible garbage because people won't even play it! Every player has their own Interest by a creator, so if a player is like this there's always time to make that player improve himself because player attraction makes the game go around as it gets popular every day! And there is a GOOD DANM REASON FOR IT!

I WAS one of the idiot noob players and this is how my endless ideas became SUPERIOR!

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#49 2019-06-22 03:26:22

HeyNK

It's bad design to have things you can't see, especially in learning worlds.

#50 2019-06-22 04:13:09

AllenCaspe9510
Website

HeyNK wrote:

It's bad design to have things you can't see, especially in learning worlds.

You don't get it, Having visible portals just makes the game lag. Visible portals ruins visual appearance

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Wooted by:
peace1591597617782319

Board footer