Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-28 23:45:58

Minimania
Moderation Team

Re: Make EE Forums Great Again

Hidden text
Creature wrote:

I feel a lot better quoting one part of your post, replying to it, then quoting another part of your post into a separate post.

Then just do what I'm doing with you right now.

Creature wrote:

It doesn't hinder the discussion

It takes up more space than one wallpost does.

Creature wrote:

and sometimes it's even easier to read for the people that are more likely to read multiple short posts than one giant wallpost.

If you're reading multiple short posts, all by the same person, it's secretly one giant wall-post in disguise.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#27 2019-01-28 23:46:08

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Creature wrote:

I actually prefer to doublepost sometimes. I feel a lot better quoting one part of your post, replying to it, then quoting another part of your post into a separate post.

It doesn't hinder the discussion and sometimes it's even easier to read for the people that are more likely to read multiple short posts than one giant wallpost. I myself am one of these people.

I can vouch for this. When I first started playing on mafiascum everyone would complain at me for making massive single posts replying to everything I felt necessary to. But when I did the same things except using a different post for each point nobody mentioned it.

That said, there isn't often occasion to make a post that's a wall of text on these forums. But when there is, most people definitely seem to skip over the posts.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#28 2019-01-28 23:46:18

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Lulz, I couldn't tell if the original post was serious.

Sounds like you wanna turn the forums into Discord.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (2)

#29 2019-01-28 23:48:43

Minimania
Moderation Team

mutantdevle wrote:

When I first started playing on mafiascum everyone would complain at me for making massive single posts replying to everything I felt necessary to. But when I did the same things except using a different post for each point nobody mentioned it.

The backwards is true for this forum. Nobody's going to give you crap for making a long post. If they don't care to read it, they won't have to, but if you're actually discussing something with someone, they'll read it.

mutantdevle wrote:

But when there is, most people definitely seem to skip over the posts.

That happens mostly in drama topics, or in suggestion topics, and understandably people don't have to care about either.

21cZxBv.png

#30 2019-01-28 23:52:25

Creature

Tomahawk wrote:

Lulz, I couldn't tell if the original post was serious.

Why not?

Still, I use the forums over Discord because I want to keep track of the conversation and I want to somewhat focus upon something rather than saying "hey let's discuss about X" just to it eventually be diverged and completely drowned out.

So what if I want to post the way I want and troll a little along the way?

This is a false statement.

#31 2019-01-28 23:55:01

Minimania
Moderation Team

Creature wrote:

So what if I want to post the way I want and troll a little along the way?

So nothing. Go ahead and do this. Pingohits does this **** all the time. Just don't be a nub and/or break the rules. They are not that hard to follow.

Creature wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Why not?

Probably because the title is really similar to the campaign slogan used by the current president of the USA, which is a prime way to get people to think you're meming.

21cZxBv.png

#32 2019-01-28 23:58:06, last edited by Different55 (2019-01-28 23:59:34)

Different55
Forum Admin

Creature wrote:

Remove the "No off-topic" rule

Typically people are asked to get on-topic first, only when the off-topic branch is derailing the discussion.

Creature wrote:

Remove the "No doubleposting" rule

There's no such rule. But if you post 4 times in a row just having a sentence each, all part of the same single thought, you're probably going to get warned for spam or at least smacked over the head.

Creature wrote:

Remove the "No minor spam" rule

My current goal as far as moderation is to allow conversations to happen naturally, even if they drift a little bit, as long as the conversation continues and doesn't get consumed by lel funny meme. So for example making a quick joke is fine while creating a quote pyramid out of it is not.

Creature wrote:

Remove the "No cussing" rule

Then turn off the censors in your profile. Just don't purposefully try to evade them and make sure to wrap content that the censors can't block, like images.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#33 2019-01-29 00:00:23

Minimania
Moderation Team

Different55 wrote:

Creature wrote:

There's no such rule. But if you post 4 times in a row jut having a sentence each, all part of the same single thought, you're probably going to get warned for spam or at least smacked over the head.

Before I get called out for this, I admit here that I was wrong in what I said and recognize that this rule is far more lenient than I first thought.

21cZxBv.png

#34 2019-01-29 00:01:42

Creature

Different55 wrote:

Just don't purposefully try to evade them and make sure to wrap content that the censors can't block, like images.

I suppose that I should use a spoiler with NSFW for images, right?

#35 2019-01-29 00:02:16, last edited by Minimania (2019-01-29 00:02:37)

Minimania
Moderation Team

Creature wrote:
Different55 wrote:

Just don't purposefully try to evade them and make sure to wrap content that the censors can't block, like images.

No NSFW allowed.

EDIT: I'm assuming we're talking about the birds and the bees here, and also gore.

21cZxBv.png

#36 2019-01-29 00:09:15

Creature

Crybaby wrote:
Creature wrote:
Different55 wrote:

No NSFW allowed.

EDIT: I'm assuming we're talking about the birds and the bees here, and also gore.

Well, I'm talking about swears in images.

#37 2019-01-29 00:11:35

Minimania
Moderation Team

Creature wrote:

I don't think that's "NSFW" but yes use spoilers

21cZxBv.png

#38 2019-01-29 00:18:30

Different55
Forum Admin

Creature wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Creature wrote:
Different55 wrote:

No NSFW allowed.

Right, either spoilers or the "CW" tag which is just a spoiler that obeys the censor setting in your profile.

- ShinsukeIto

#39 2019-01-29 00:19:27

Victoria
Formerly Koya556
Website

I guess you, it's a NSFW that just banned.

Yan Joshua knows as Nightmore, 7kudmath, Ygor Matheus, Kogor, Koya and RQ aka ~
I'm a professional artist, talented in various art forms, and also a programmer.
I had been playing Everybody Edits for four years ago. ~
Learning English and Japanese, Portugal ~
Native Portuguese speaker, fluent ~
20 years old, April 5, 2003. ~
He/Him ~

Contact information:
Discord: Kenny 💀#0578
In-game: 7KUDMATH
Xbox: YanJoshuaRQ
Steam: YanJoshuaRQ

#40 2019-01-29 00:22:46

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Night More, why are your communicative skills so bad?

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#41 2019-01-29 00:23:34

Creature

Crybaby wrote:
Creature wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Why not?

Probably because the title is really similar to the campaign slogan used by the current president of the USA, which is a prime way to get people to think you're meming.

Yeah, I like the slogan, it reflects the good old times something interesting happened in this forums rather than it being an inactive junk. I intend to make the forums great again.

Wooted by:

#42 2019-01-29 01:39:54

Onjit
Website

I think the best way to make EE (both forums and game) more vivid is to add another 3000 active users at all times. Just like back in the old days. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

:.|:;

Wooted by:

#43 2019-01-29 10:47:03, last edited by JadElClemens (2019-01-29 10:47:54)

JadElClemens

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't been active on the forums for years and years, so I'm not really in touch with its modern culture.

----

Creature wrote:

How many interesting discussions did we miss due the fear of going offtopic? Starting a somewhat different discussion in a thread isn't that bad and someone can always return to the OP discussion.

I don't think this is necessary. If your post is even tangentially related to the topic then it shouldn't be considered off-topic in the first place.
If you have a thought to share that's actually off-topic, just have that interesting discussion in a new thread.

Different55 wrote:

[...] only when the off-topic branch is derailing the discussion.

I don't see this as an issue, actually.  If the thread evolves to discuss the new issue (given that, again, it's related to the original topic), that's what the thread becomes about. If the OP is dissatisfied with how the conversation is going, they should have the right to request a new thread be made and warnings issued if the discussion continues.

----

Creature wrote:

Creature wrote:

Yeah, I want to post my content like this.

Creature wrote:

It doesn't hinder the discussion at all if you don't mind a few extra pages.

Creature wrote:

Actually it even helps. By making people more comfortable posting, for example.

Creature wrote:

You can't force me to shove everything I have in mind into one single post.

Agree. Well, the example you posted is just obnoxious, but doubleposting with distinct thoughts (that are both related to the thread) is not an issue.
Also (evidently):

Different55 wrote:

There's no such rule.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#44 2019-01-29 12:35:26

peace

Creature wrote:

I can make the EE Forums (or atleast the off-topic part) vivid again. Though, I'll need more leniency in the rules. (I may not be really updated into the rules)

How many interesting discussions did we miss due the fear of going offtopic? Starting a somewhat different discussion in a thread isn't that bad and someone can always return to the OP discussion.

Creature wrote:

Yeah, I want to post my content like this.

Creature wrote:

It doesn't hinder the discussion at all if you don't mind a few extra pages.

Creature wrote:

Actually it even helps. By making people more comfortable posting, for example.

Creature wrote:

You can't force me to shove everything I have in mind into one single post.

Remove the "No minor spam" rule

It's not even spam actually. So what if I want to meme occasionally? Sometimes light-hearted trolling is good to break the ice.

Remove the "No cussing" rule

Kids cuss all the time nowadays. Why don't you let we adults potmouth a little sometimes? There's a censor and it's not like we're going to traumatize a child anyway.

Keep the "No flooding" rule

I believe any 5-year old would distinguish whether someone has gone "asrffdfglkadnja" or is trying to contribute with something. Even if it is unclear, just have someone politely request to stop and it should be over.

forums will be a mess wiht no double posting rule and why you want to go offopic? if you want make a new topic cussing is bad spam minor rule is kidna meh

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#45 2019-01-29 12:49:47, last edited by JadElClemens (2019-01-29 12:55:56)

JadElClemens

peace wrote:

[literally the whole OP]
forums will be a mess wiht no double posting rule and why you want to go offopic? if you want make a new topic cussing is bad spam minor rule is kidna meh

Speaking of making the forums great again, can we introduce a rule against quoting the entire OP in your reply (without segmenting it to discuss different points)? I already read the OP, I don't need literally the entire thing quoted to know what it's about.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

Wooted by: (2)

#46 2019-01-29 13:49:34, last edited by Tomahawk (2019-01-29 13:51:08)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

The forum "rules" seem to have been explicitly superseded by the warning descriptions... for the most part:

• ...follow subforum rules.

• Avoid gravedigging, double posting, and quoting the first post.

Most of the current users probably haven't read the stickied subforum instructions, and "avoid" is impossible to moderate objectively and a bit vague. Quoting the entire OP is unnecessary - and annoying when it's long - but permanently stopping people from doing it would require a policy change from Diff and maybe some 0-point reminders for repeat offenders.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#47 2019-01-29 16:53:49

Different55
Forum Admin

Yeah those are just "avoid" instead of "don't" because none of them are a problem inherently. But if you go around reviving ancient topics that really have "expired" and can't be discussed anymore, or you're making many posts each with one word in them, or you're quoting a massive OP like the one BBCode style guide, then they become problems.

- ShinsukeIto

#48 2019-01-29 17:13:59, last edited by JadElClemens (2019-01-29 17:14:07)

JadElClemens

Tomahawk wrote:

[...] Quoting the entire OP is unnecessary - and annoying when it's long - but permanently stopping people from doing it would require a policy change from Diff [...]

Different55 wrote:

Yeah those are just "avoid" instead of "don't" because none of them are a problem inherently. [...]

Speaking specifically about quoting the OP: It's not a problem in general - breaking up the post to respond to different parts (see: this entire thread) is very useful. Even quoting just a single (perhaps long) section of the OP can communicate that your reply only refers to that particular part of the post (though some post-quote editing should be used to make a succinct, high-quality post). On the flipside, I can't think of a single legitimate use for quoting the entire OP. Perhaps it's not worth warning points, but

Tomahawk wrote:

maybe some 0-point reminders

would be nice.

Not that it's necessarily an issue around here, I've only noticed it in this topic.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#49 2019-01-29 17:37:38

Anatoly

Is it a EE version of trump?

Anatoly1548779858739988

Board footer