Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-12 20:24:22

John

What could be added to EE to make switch systems easier?

So I've been wondering about how switches can be improved. So, I'm looking to all you switch professionals and am wondering what could be added to make it much easier to create systems, or to create new systems?

I do remember Kirby's topic which is a really neat idea and I'm wondering what other ideas do you all have to improve the current system creation?

PW?scale=2

#2 2017-12-12 20:59:31

kreacher

Re: What could be added to EE to make switch systems easier?

Maybe have a switch reset block, however this would ruin the fun of trying to make interesting and fast switch resets.

MQneHSv.png

Est. December 2010

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-12-12 23:32:40, last edited by shadowda (2017-12-13 00:23:18)

shadowda

A button/switch type that would always turn the id off when it was hit. 
A button/switch type that would always turn the id on when it was hit.

i sincerely hope the next update adds some switch stuff or some contest blocks...

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

Wooted by: (3)

#4 2017-12-13 02:54:23, last edited by Slabdrill (2017-12-13 02:55:16)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

switch portals: portals that only exist when the switch is hit the right way.
this is in both ID and target - so you can have a portal that isnt the option of being the recipient is the switch is active, and/or you can have a portal that will only send if the switch is active.

This is an extremely versatile tool that would let me supercompact everything.

Rotation isn't needed for these portals - add them anyway i guess?

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by:

#5 2017-12-13 08:56:07, last edited by LukeM (2017-12-13 09:01:25)

LukeM
Website

Some sort of 'flag' thing, similar to crowns only one person would have it, and there would be flag doors / gates, but with multiple different colours (and probably a flag reset block)
This would basically make multiplayer switch machines possible, which would be great //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

I guess they could also be captured or given to other people or whatever to make them not just switch things (for capture the flag / tag / etc)

AnD fIx TeAm DoOrS!!!!!

#6 2017-12-13 09:31:03

Abelysk

Make a smart ai thing that does things that are smart

Wooted by:

#7 2017-12-13 18:17:50

John

kreacher wrote:

Maybe have a switch reset block, however this would ruin the fun of trying to make interesting and fast switch resets.

That's a really good idea!

shadowda wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding - can you elaborate further, please?

Slabdrill wrote:

this is in both ID and target - so you can have a portal that isnt the option of being the recipient is the switch is active, and/or you can have a portal that will only send if the switch is active.

I'm confused about this one too - please elaborate.

LukeM wrote:

Some sort of 'flag' thing, similar to crowns only one person would have it, and there would be flag doors / gates, but with multiple different colours (and probably a flag reset block)
This would basically make multiplayer switch machines possible, which would be great //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

That's a really good idea!!

LukeM wrote:

AnD fIx TeAm DoOrS!!!!!

What's wrong with team doors?

Abelysk wrote:

Make a smart ai thing that does things that are smart

?

PW?scale=2

#8 2017-12-13 18:22:34

LukeM
Website

Emalton wrote:
LukeM wrote:

AnD fIx TeAm DoOrS!!!!!

What's wrong with team doors?

If you switch teams twice quickly you get stuck in them sometimes, seemingly randomly

#9 2017-12-13 18:24:00

John

LukeM wrote:

If you switch teams twice quickly you get stuck in them sometimes, seemingly randomly

Interesting, how do you think that could be fixed?

PW?scale=2

#10 2017-12-13 18:27:07

LukeM
Website

AFAIK they handle team changes both when you first hit the team block, and after the team message is sent to the server and sent back, so I think just ignoring either of them, so it doesn't happen twice, would work

#11 2017-12-13 18:28:52

John

Oh I understand. The client moves faster than the server and that's why there are team issues.

PW?scale=2

#12 2017-12-13 18:45:14

LukeM
Website

Emalton wrote:

Oh I understand. The client moves faster than the server and that's why there are team issues.

Sort of, I think it's because of the short delay between when messages are sent, and when they are received, so it's not really that the server is running slower, it's because there's some time between when the client tells the server it hit a team block and when the client hears from the server that it has changed team

#13 2017-12-13 19:01:12

John

LukeM wrote:
Emalton wrote:

Sort of, I think it's because of the short delay between when messages are sent, and when they are received, so it's not really that the server is running slower, it's because there's some time between when the client tells the server it hit a team block and when the client hears from the server that it has changed team

Oh yeah that's what I mean the client is moving faster than the server can update the client on team changes.

PW?scale=2

Wooted by:

#14 2017-12-13 20:47:25

kreacher

I think shadowda is saying that there should be switches that only turn on the door/gate and ones that only turn off the door/gate.

MQneHSv.png

Est. December 2010

#15 2017-12-13 20:53:31

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

kreacher wrote:

I think shadowda is saying that there should be switches that only turn on the door/gate and ones that only turn off the door/gate.

That's not really something that I think is necessary since you can already create that by using a few blocks (mainly boosts). I'd rather they spent the time creating something that increases the functionality of switch machines. The only function those types of switches would have, other than saving a few blocks of space, is having them generally in a level where players have no risk of accidentally switching the switch to something else.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#16 2017-12-13 21:11:48, last edited by BobRove (2017-12-13 21:13:12)

BobRove

placeable player dummies that are affected by gravity, trigger keys and switches and collect coins
just so that you dont need an alt to run a world with "animated global doors/gates"

Wooted by:

#17 2017-12-13 21:38:55

shadowda

Devlin wrote:
kreacher wrote:

That's not really something that I think is necessary since you can already create that by using a few blocks (mainly boosts). I'd rather they spent the time creating something that increases the functionality of switch machines. The only function those types of switches would have, other than saving a few blocks of space, is having them generally in a level where players have no risk of accidentally switching the switch to something else.

indeed it could be done with a few blocks. the point was to reduce the amount of room and to make quicker resets.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#18 2017-12-14 04:08:11

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Emalton wrote:
Slabdrill wrote:

I'm confused about this one too - please elaborate.

Make a bot that does the following: If switch [] is pressed, the portal at this spot exists (with prespecified ID/target, ofc) - otherwise, it doesn't (and is replaced with air).

That's my block. With less lag ofc

suddenly random sig change

#19 2017-12-14 04:44:20

Minimania
Moderation Team

How about a switch block that when flipped, activates (or deactivates) all switches in the world?

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

rat

#20 2017-12-14 05:53:32

Joeyc

minimania wrote:

How about a switch block that when flipped, activates (or deactivates) all switches in the world?

So a 3rd variation for a switch? I like it.

#21 2017-12-14 06:07:58

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

BobRove wrote:

placeable player dummies that are affected by gravity, trigger keys and switches and collect coins
just so that you dont need an alt to run a world with "animated global doors/gates"

Relevant

minimania wrote:

Even better: a wildcard feature that lets you use an asterisk * in place of a digit for switch IDs. If you wanted, you could switch a hundred switches by typing 7** for example! That idea excites me.

Wooted by:

#22 2017-12-14 13:33:06, last edited by John (2017-12-14 13:35:13)

John

N1KF wrote:

Even better: a wildcard feature that lets you use an asterisk * in place of a digit for switch IDs. If you wanted, you could switch a hundred switches by typing 7** for example! That idea excites me.

I really like that idea!!

Slabdrill wrote:

If switch [] is pressed, the portal at this spot exists (with prespecified ID/target, ofc) - otherwise, it doesn't (and is replaced with air).

That's my block. With less lag ofc

That's a really good idea - would rotation be necessary?

EDIT:
Here is LukeM (destroyer123) stated earlier.

LukeM wrote:

I think this would be really awesome too!

PW?scale=2

#23 2017-12-17 11:41:17, last edited by LukeM (2017-12-17 11:49:50)

LukeM
Website

Slabdrill wrote:

This is an extremely versatile tool that would let me supercompact everything.

Rotation isn't needed for these portals - add them anyway i guess?

:O Just realised that this would allow for O(1) path switching (rather than O(log n)) - (this means that it takes a certain amount of time to select a path independant of how many paths there are, so whether there are 10 or 1000 it would take the same amount of time)

That means that you would be able to use them to switch between large numbers of pathways when timing is important, so would let you do things like making music machine type things that use switches to compress / generate the music :O

- This NEEDS to be added

Edit: I thought of this while waiting to finish todays advent world, before I saw this topic lol

#24 2017-12-18 16:49:11

Gosha

#25 2017-12-18 19:41:24

skullz17

In terms of improving current switch systems, I think a lot of the ideas mentioned in this thread just extend systems further, rather than make our current systems more efficient. But one thing we really need is shadowda's idea:

shadowda wrote:

i sincerely hope the next update adds some switch stuff or some contest blocks...

It's extremely useful to be able to set the state of a switch to what you want, rather than toggle its state. The obvious application of this is for resets, but what makes this idea better than just a reset block is its versatility and utility throughout switch systems. For example, it's very useful if you're going to represent some values with the switches, and you're going to be using and changing those values a lot. You might think that the same thing is possible with only a few blocks, but a switch system typically does not just contain one instance of this, so it all adds up over time. Even if you're compressing 4 blocks into 1, you're potentially making a system up to 4 times as small, which is a huge difference.

Slabdrill's switch portals are also really cool and helps make things very compact.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

skullz171513636203686717

Board footer