Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-13 16:13:19, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-09-13 16:15:46)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

People are too sensitive part 2

I think that Failgirls topic got cut off too soon, and I think the discussion was headed in a good direction. However, I'm not gonna bring forumers into this (even though ya'll are WAY too sensitive. C'mon guys). I'm just gonna talk about the real world. Specifically America.

Before I say anything- let me just put this video out there. Watch this. Ironically, the only place I could find this  was on tumblr (a site that this sketch describes perfectly), but regardless, it still makes my point better than I could ever articulate.

http://jeffdwoodward.tumblr.com/post/83 … -boss-this

Now I realize that this I am walking on thin ice. I've bad mouthed tumblr before and gotten BRUTALLY attacked for it. Damn. So much anger. But I'm not going to get into why I think tumblr is terrible..........This time.

*cough*

tumblr_ljvqldgNvw1qc858io1_500.jpg

*HACK*

tumblr%20lolol.jpg

*VIOLENT CLEARING OF THROAT*

Typicaltumblrcontentocdontbebutthurt_ab2409_4565430.png

Wow excuse me! I dont know what came over me. Ahem.

So where AM I going with this? I just wanted to reopen the valid discussion that was going on in failgirls old thread.

People are too sensitive. I know that the video above is a joke, an exaggeration, but its honestly not far off. People really take offense to everything and anything nowadays. Everyone just needs to chill, honestly. I'm not going to even get started on specifics, because i would get ripped into by the SJW's on this site. And they scare me a little bit. But the direction we are headed is not a good one. Honestly this has been a train wreck of a post, but I hope you get the idea. People today just need to stop worrying so much about being "politically correct", and actually DO something about the issues they care about! Its one thing to "get offended" and whine all day, but its another thing to get up and try to actually CHANGE the thing that offended you.

#2 2015-09-13 16:15:35, last edited by Anak (2015-09-13 16:16:16)

Anak

Re: People are too sensitive part 2

I go on tumblr and I can confirm all of this.
Also imo there's a difference between PC and sensitive but I get what you mean

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2015-09-13 16:15:37

Nebula

Damn it that topic is great but 5/10 ign.

#4 2015-09-13 16:18:15, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-09-13 16:18:44)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Anak wrote:

There definitely is. But there is also a difference between being PC and having to completely second guess everything that comes out of your mouth. Or there should be, at least.

#5 2015-09-13 16:31:27

Onjit
Website

What's even more sad is when people apologise for things they haven't even done/said yet, for fear that they may have, hypothetically, offended someone.

:.|:;

#6 2015-09-13 16:51:52

Minimania
Moderation Team

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#7 2015-09-13 17:08:28

Bobithan

...what's wrong with trying not to offend people though? There are people, like me and most of the Internet dwellers out there, who don't care enough to actually go out and make a difference, so the least you can do is try to be a decent person, right? It really doesn't take that much effort.

aka towwl

#8 2015-09-13 17:15:50

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

.....Well first of all, not caring enough but still complaining about everything is exactly what I think is wrong with "internet dwellers".

Secondly- being a decent person isn't what I was talking about. You can try all you want not to offend people, but people WILL be offended. Thats the problem here. Did you not watch the very funny video that I took the time to share with you?

Wooted by:

Nou

#9 2015-09-13 17:17:39, last edited by Different55 (2015-09-13 17:18:54)

Different55
Forum Admin

Bobithan wrote:

...what's wrong with trying not to offend people though? There are people, like me and most of the Internet dwellers out there, who don't care enough to actually go out and make a difference, so the least you can do is try to be a decent person, right? It really doesn't take that much effort.

There's a big difference between the trying to offend type of offense and the offended at nothing type of offense. I think Pyro's talking about the type of people who get offended at anything and everything. Trying not to offend one of those people is an effort in futility. It's like they WANT to be offended.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (4)

#10 2015-09-13 17:30:56

Bobithan

And why do we take those people seriously? Of course there are people that will get offended by a pomegranate, but most of those people are trolls anyways. They are such a vast minority that's only glorified by this whole "anti-SJW" movement and they don't deserve any sort of real attention.

aka towwl

#11 2015-09-13 17:40:59

Nou

Bobithan wrote:

And why do we take those people seriously? Of course there are people that will get offended by a pomegranate, but most of those people are trolls anyways. They are such a vast minority that's only glorified by this whole "anti-SJW" movement and they don't deserve any sort of real attention.

You often have to because it appears that those people are becoming the majority. I say appears because they're the loudest and most people who are annoyed by these people either ignore them or don't speak out because they're scared they'll get slammed for not agreeing.  In The Netherlands a large portion of the leading politicians are like that and it's affecting the most basic of stuff.

A good example, albeit not a politician but a guy who keeps getting the spotlight is Quinsy Gario; he finds pretty much everything racist. Last week he was on TV saying a commercial for a cooking show was racist because it said "own cake first!", which he considered reminiscent of the Nazi regime in the WWII where they said "own people first". And there are more of people like him. Politicians don't want to drop in their ratings so they give in to his ridiculous point of view and thus affects everyone.

No u.

#12 2015-09-13 18:01:03, last edited by hummerz5 (2015-09-13 18:02:48)

hummerz5

You're right, sensitivity.
I don't really consider myself a troll, but whenever I blow up in a fit of "omg you bleep", I'm not serious at all. Really, I couldn't care less about things you say regarding my opinions, and I expect the same from others. It's nothing but information; if someone disagrees, get over it.

Edit: nice video, is buffering nonstop
edit2: video just finished, what... a... punchline. so true, though. "let's stereotype everyone else, but don't dare throw me in the mix" - everyone who takes offense to stereotypes

#13 2015-09-13 18:03:53, last edited by Bobithan (2015-09-13 18:04:07)

Bobithan

Nou wrote:
Bobithan wrote:

You often have to because it appears that those people are becoming the majority. I say appears because they're the loudest and most people who are annoyed by these people either ignore them or don't speak out because they're scared they'll get slammed for not agreeing.  In The Netherlands a large portion of the leading politicians are like that and it's affecting the most basic of stuff.

A good example, albeit not a politician but a guy who keeps getting the spotlight is Quinsy Gario; he finds pretty much everything racist. Last week he was on TV saying a commercial for a cooking show was racist because it said "own cake first!", which he considered reminiscent of the Nazi regime in the WWII where they said "own people first". And there are more of people like him. Politicians don't want to drop in their ratings so they give in to his ridiculous point of view and thus affects everyone.

Fair enough, thanks for using an actual example rather than just a bunch of silly strawmen.

I'm still under the belief that common sense in these situations will always overtake the crazy ideologies of these people. There are always going to be idiots in the media, that's just a constant. You never really see them rise to such power that they can be a horrible detriment to society though because the majority that follows common sense, no matter how silent, will always come out ahead.

But sure, I'll admit I am wrong to advocate apathy towards these nutcases. If nobody cared but the crazy people, then the crazy people would be in charge. I realize that. But this is still a case of "feeding the trolls", and internet trolls have never mattered as much as the token media airheads.

aka towwl

#14 2015-09-13 18:23:44, last edited by 0176 (2015-09-13 18:33:13)

You might be exaggerating in this whole SJW thing. Yes, people that sensitive might exist, but as Bobithan said they're 90% people just trolling in the internet. You're probably just spending too much time on the internet to really care that much about these virtual things, but then.. we're all spending too much time on the internet.

That isn't the problem though, my problem with it that people are starting to use them to justify blatant hate speech. If you browse Reddit's default subs (tip: never. go. to. reddit. for. default. subs. or just don't use reddit either way), half the comments there are basement dwellers delusioning themselves and posting extremely racist crap. If you even try to call them on their bs, you'll be instantly lynched - if you don't agree with ideas like "everyone born outside of Europe is a filthy animal and should be sent to concentration camps" you're obviously a triggered SJW and downvotes will be rained upon you.
Either way I hail from a country where racism is an extreme taboo (although some are too sensitive over it, to be honest) and you can be sent to jail for it, so even though I'm pale white that stuff makes me wince. Cultural diffs, fellas.

And of course people saying they get PSTD from fruits or random images are just pathetic, but some communities are starting to tag you in the same group if you don't agree with their antisocial behavior.

Wooted by: (3)

#15 2015-09-13 19:22:49, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-09-13 19:35:40)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

0176 wrote:

ou might be exaggerating in this whole SJW thing. Yes, people that sensitive might exist, but as Bobithan said they're 90% people just trolling in the internet. You're probably just spending too much time on the internet to really care that much about these virtual things, but then.. we're all spending too much time on the internet.

Ok but I wasn't exclusively talking about the internet. I dont know where the little dig about spending too much time on the internet came from, but shade acknowledged.

Anyway, I was  also talking (before I got sidetracked by tumblr hate), about people in real life who act like this. I dont know where you guys live that you have avoided these people, but consider yourself lucky. In my old friend group of about five or six, there were at least 3 real life social justice warriors. They literally quoted tumblr at me nonstop, telling me how I offended them for being male and some horse kisses :^). They were so obviously quoting some badly written text post/biased buzzfeed article that it HURT me. I wish I could have avoided them, but trust me, they are real. (These people were also really into Indie music and said the word "aesthetic" out loud if that gives you any indication of what their personalities were like.)

As for the people who use it as an excuse to be racist, obviously I'm not saying its ok to be racist. Clearly. I'm pretty sure I've articulated myself fairly well so I'm not going to repeat my point.

Also- I dont know what group you guys think I belong to but I'm not advocating any "anti SJW movement". Why? Because thats dumb and nobody has time for that.

EDIT 2: just for giggles heres another picture.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-13%20at%202.30.21%20PM.png

Yes, i've known people who talk like this.

#16 2015-09-13 19:40:26

@Pyro Sorry, this post just reminded me of these people who spent half their day whining about SJWs or whatever a wee bit too much. I've barely read many gaming forums or Steam discussions but from the few I've seen of them these people do exist there. And that dig was more aimed at myself anyway :>

Since I never really met anyone who acts like that in real life I really did assume you were talking exclusively about the internet. I mean, there are these Protestant girls and (old) women who consider even girls wearing jeans heresy, but that's something else.

#17 2015-09-13 20:15:52

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Oh tumblr~ the worst place in the internet

gLjTZE1.png

#18 2015-09-13 22:43:13, last edited by Zoey2070 (2015-09-13 23:53:17)

ewoke

ZeldaXD wrote:

Oh tumblr~ the worst place in the internet

<snip>
yup

if you can read this....good for you

#19 2015-09-14 05:17:10

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

what a surprise! this topic is also getting derailed, except this time hating on tumblr and SJWs.

the thing is, 90% of all these loltumblr posts are hyperbolic. you can't take one person or several people and call it the entire website. here, i've made a breakdown of the images:

Hidden text

tumblr is mostly a gullible, vitrolic hivemind. i know, i've had an account since 2011. i have a ton of posts. does this mean i'm going to attack everyone here for being mostly cis, straight, white males? no, because that is dumb.

well, i actually left this post sitting for about six hours but i think the point i WAS going to make was that like... there's some extreme people no matter where you go, but not everyone in x site is like that, obviously.

also like, if someone asks you not to say something then... maybe be nice and don't say it around them? it's really not that hard to do. if you have to think, "man, is what i'm going to say going to offend people?" then either you may have a few problems or you should hang around different people, simple as that.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by: (3)

#20 2015-09-14 14:41:44, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-09-14 14:47:50)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

This topic was derailed from the very first post. I'll be honest, the tumblr portion of my post was irrelevant. I only put that in there because its fun to see everyone get riled up over me attacking a website. Was this a nice thing to do? Probably not. Oh well.

The "not all tumblr" argument is wearing kind of thin. My point is that there is enough people that act like  buzzword bloated, keyboard armed airheads that it warranted discussion.

Obviously being a decent person and not saying something you know will offend someone is a good thing to do. I mean hey, its not like I posted anti tumblr pictures knowing that people would get riled up and offended about something that doesn't matter but end up proving my point for me in the end......right? (although I will admit, you guys didn't deliver as much as I expected)

But in all 'seriousness', like D55 said,

Different55 wrote:

There's a big difference between the trying to offend type of offense and the offended at nothing type of offense. I think Pyro's talking about the type of people who get offended at anything and everything. Trying not to offend one of those people is an effort in futility. It's like they WANT to be offended.

Yes, there are extremes. But that extreme is what I'm talking about. The extreme is becoming more and more normal. At least in my experience. The digs at tumblr were just for my own personal enjoyment. Does this make me obnoxious? Probably, but what else is new?

EDIT: I will say though, that I see your point. I know that "not all tumblr" is bad. I know, at least subconsciously, that there are some SJW's somewhere out there ...hiding very well...that actually want to make a change for the better. And by the way, I did find new friends. They were my "old" friend group for a reason.

#21 2015-09-15 15:49:24, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-09-15 15:52:40)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Yes this is a double post and I realize nobody cares anymore but these two articles are super relevant.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc … nd/399356/

"The press has typically described these developments as a resurgence of political correctness. That’s partly right, although there are important differences between what’s happening now and what happened in the 1980s and ’90s. That movement sought to restrict speech (specifically hate speech aimed at marginalized groups), but it also challenged the literary, philosophical, and historical canon, seeking to widen it by including more-diverse perspectives. The current movement is largely about emotional well-being. More than the last, it presumes an extraordinary fragility of the collegiate psyche, and therefore elevates the goal of protecting students from psychological harm. The ultimate aim, it seems, is to turn campuses into “safe spaces” where young adults are shielded from words and ideas that make some uncomfortable. And more than the last, this movement seeks to punish anyone who interferes with that aim, even accidentally. You might call this impulse vindictive protectiveness. It is creating a culture in which everyone must think twice before speaking up, lest they face charges of insensitivity, aggression, or worse."

I would suggest reading this whole article if you have the time, but this is a part I thought was important.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/ob … orrectness

"It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either."

Obama said it better than I could have. I dont love him, but we agree on this.

EDIT: The first article gives many examples of what I'm talking about. I would HATE to be accused of only supplying strawmen.

Wooted by:

#22 2015-09-16 01:36:10

Evilbunny

Onjit wrote:

What's even more sad is when people apologise for things they haven't even done/said yet, for fear that they may have, hypothetically, offended someone.

Oh, sorry. I think You might be talking about me...

And if you think tumblr is the worst place on the internet, then you must be living underneath a cyber rock.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#23 2015-09-16 01:37:51

iPwner
Website

There's a difference between being "too sensitive" and defending yourself. Walking up and shooting someone in the face and then saying "haha just kidding man it's a joke", burning them alive and as they scream in agony saying "take a joke swjzzz" - would you consider the victim a swj?

Also, in response  to the "part 1" oversensitive topic, note the hypocrisy; the fact that you made that topic shows that you are the true oversensitive one; because your failed insult was disregarded and counter-attacked successfully in the going home results topic, you're sensitive enough you feel the need to cry about how everyones a swj and has no fun and don't acknowledge your "jokes" and gain woots from the public in order to regain your sense of security and repair your shattered self-esteem for {what you know you are but I don't feel teh need to point it out here ;3}. Also, if you think that quote you quoted was a "joke" (as quoted in that topic but im too lazy to requote), you might as well just say the word "Joke" and expect people to laugh. That "joke" was not cleverly funny or so bad it was funny, just blatant hating, unfunny disbliss.

P.S. 2 lazy to correct bad grammar... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

#24 2015-09-16 18:25:22

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Ipwner, that argument has been stated, noted, and answered MULTIPLE times.

Ahem-

Pyromaniac wrote:

Secondly- being a decent person isn't what I was talking about. You can try all you want not to offend people, but people WILL be offended. Thats the problem here. Did you not watch the very funny video that I took the time to share with you?

Pyromaniac wrote:
Anak wrote:

There definitely is. But there is also a difference between being PC and having to completely second guess everything that comes out of your mouth. Or there should be, at least.

Different55 wrote:
Bobithan wrote:

Pyromaniac wrote:

But in all 'seriousness', like D55 said,

Different55 wrote:

And nobody cares about the other part of ur post tbh

Pyromaniac1442424322542157

Board footer