Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-20 11:31:54

ExFabian

EEU File Storage - Use EE Universe for free file storage!

Everyone remembers Everybody Edits Universe, the precursor of EE! that was ultimately scrapped. If you didn't know already, the EEU servers are somehow still up and running after 3 WHOLE YEARS of the game being discontinued. The game is obviously dead, and with the new EE remakes that were created this year we can officially say EEU is useless.

Well, I am here to provide a new use to this rotting corpse by introducing EEU File Storage!

eeufs.png

This is a bot for EE Universe that allows you to store and read files right into and from your unused EEU worlds!, reusing this game for free cloud storage! This is done by writing the bytes of a file into signs in the world. If you still are able to login into EEU through Google (since Facebook login stopped working a while ago), feel free to give this a go!

There is a caveat to this though, that being this is not very useful storage. A sign can store up to 120 characters, and a byte is formed of 2 characters, so we can store up to 60 bytes in a sign. The biggest world ever given in this game is a 600x400 iirc, so by doing some math we can see that the max number of bytes you can store in a world is 600 * 400 * 60 which is 14,400,000 bytes, or 14,4 megabytes, which is... not alot. I guess it's good enough for storing some images or a small executable, or 5 copies of DOOM (1993).

If you want to try this out, you can find the downloads and a tutorial on how to use it here: https://github.com/ExFabian/EEU-File-Storage

Shoutouts to EEJesse who made the EEU Library for C# and luciferx for writing the EEU Protocol (which I had to search on archive.org since the website doesn't exist anymore as of today)

since 2012

Wooted by: (5)

#2 2024-07-24 22:03:55

Zumza

Re: EEU File Storage - Use EE Universe for free file storage!

2 chars per byte means you're encoding every 4 bits as a character.
You should be able to safely use base64 encoding, which encodes every 6 bits as a character, which translates into a 50% improvement.
Nice work!

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 2024-08-06 14:48:35

NoNK

Re: EEU File Storage - Use EE Universe for free file storage!

finally, a good use for EEU worlds!

NoNK1722952115799423

Board footer