Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-02 05:07:15

AllenCaspe9510
Website

I'm curious of EE Art

I always wondered how you guys managed to make good minimaps in EE worlds. I have complied some of my favorite ones all located in EEO. I always admire the colors, the creativity, the structures, the ideas built in these minimaps, especially how they also represent as fun challenge rooms. So I really wondered how did EE players actually did this. I really wanted to try it out in Everybody Edits Offline because I wanted to start improving in art. Although, I'm quite a noob in art but I like sharing my creativity and ideas.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

If your a beginner in EE arts, how does it feel likes to begin in doing art? I know that people get frustrated about plates? prattles? platelets? what was it called? But ehh, I feel like I'm used to it. As long I get to make something that helps me in art. I'm okay with it. Do you guys have tips in doing art in EE? Do you have art in EEO you like to share? Maybe I could get inspired.

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#2 2021-08-02 06:41:24

Minimania
Moderation Team

Re: I'm curious of EE Art

Heyo Allen! I sympathize with your struggles. I'm not a newb to EE, but making worlds look aesthetically pleasing like the examples you provided is something I myself am very new to. I only have one world to my name, and this is what it looks like.

unknown.png
(Yes, I typo'd my own name. No, it was not on purpose.)

I'll go ahead and give you my general plan for making this world.

First; build the minigames. In the worlds you've shown, the minigames build up the core of the structures. It's important that you develop the general shape of the "rooms" that the minigames take place in so that you can build the architecture around it later on.

For harder worlds, you will often see minis have multiple parts in order to test user skill, but it also serves a double purpose. Sometimes, it can be used as an aesthetic tool to make multiple buildings of the same shape, or to give singular buildings symmetry that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Make sure to build all of the minis separately. Mark in green where the minigame starts, and mark in red where the minigame ends. Use grey basic blocks to mark clearly the bounds of the "room" the minigame is in. Do not worry about cohesion, you're just building the minis. Don't worry about art.

Once you build a sufficient amount of minis that you are satisfied with, open up Paint.net, or some other art program that lets you easily manipulate screenshots of the minimap with the minis.

Make the canvas size the dimensions you plan for the world to have. For example, if you want a 200x200 world, make a 200x200 pixel canvas. Paste in images of the minigames as shown on the minimap in separate layers to make moving them easy.

This is a time where you want to start considering the general layout of your world. Some worlds have natural transitions between minigames, and some worlds use portals to lead players from one mini to the next. Try to place the minis in positions that look like they could make interesting architecture when fully built on the minimap. A couple of minigame "rooms" could make up a single building, or perhaps one large minigame makes up an entire building.

Next, determine what theme you want for your world. Do you want your world to be underwater? Is it a cliff dwelling world? Is it on the moon? You'll want to consider these things for the next stage of building.

After you've decided how you want the general layout of the minigames to be in your world, open up a new world in the dimensions of the work you made in the art program. Copy the minis into the exact locations as shown on your "minimap" from your art program. Then, with grey basic blocks, build up the general outline of the architecture or landscape.

From then on, it should be a matter of coloring in the lines like a coloring book. For shading, pick a direction for your light source, and make sure to stay consistent with it. For the sake of in-game art, use blocks that look similar so as to not distract the player. Try to avoid using backgrounds that look very similar to the blocks you use in the actual minis, as you don't want them to get confused. If it helps you, determine a color palette of similar blocks for different elements of the map, and try to use it as consistently as possible.

Afterwards, you can add in accessory elements. Make transitions between minis, add in decorations, fit in extra details, place coins, etc.

This general plan doesn't work for every level creator, but it's what helped me create my first map, so hopefully it'll help you. If you come up with something, let us know!

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#3 2021-08-02 12:17:17

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

image0.png

image0.png

image0.png

This is what I’ve made.
I mean this obviously isn’t similar to the art you’ve shown, it’s completely different. And it doesn’t look good as well.

But if you’re into weird stuff like this then uhh
Generally I think of the theme first, then I build the minis, then I try to make it look good.
Though my worlds often don’t really have a certain theme throughout the whole level (it’s more like different areas with different themes) because I just like making whatever the hell I want, lol

I guess you wanna consider the layout of the world too, just make the minis first then do the art. Ironically I literally never cared about the layout and just made minis in whatever direction I want (I guess the first image is an exception), but I think it’s still a good idea to do that.

This probably isn’t helpful, and Minimania probably already said everything I wanted to say but good luck

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#4 2021-08-02 19:22:45

Sensei1

When it comes to minimap art, I think the shape and placement of your minigames plays a really big role. Many EE worlds I liked (and all the pictures you sent) had kind of a "cave path" of minigames. Just having a path with interesting shapes can mean a lot.

I was always really interested in how people built their worlds. I asked many builders about it, but I don't really remember much of their answers anymore...
No one probably fully knew how they did what they did. Maybe they just had learned it by experimenting and having fun.

Something I liked to do a lot was sketching things on paper. It was a super fun way to plan worlds for me. Would look similar to this:

#5 2021-08-14 04:53:47

As I'm not good at English, Heres pictures of my progress
I renewed my acc only to post this reply so I can't post any links and can't use img tags
so yeah, there you go

Finish: im gur . c om /GMx5isw . pn g
1: i. im gur . c om /2HJUCTd . pn g
2: i. im gur . c om /HDpzORv . pn g
3: i. im gur . c om /3Q6vDrA . pn g
4: i. im gur . c om /3tVaCbS . pn g
5: i. im gur . c om /S3ebsfw . pn g

#6 2021-08-14 18:11:12

Gosha

hey 4649 nice to see you

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2021-08-14 18:58:24

Blackmask

4649 wrote:

3tVaCbS

yeah I remember the levels you 've made, they're all awesomes !

Wooted by:

#8 2021-08-15 04:27:05, last edited by Minisaurus (2021-08-15 14:10:03)

Minisaurus
Banned

Things that I consider important are:
1. Sketch and plan ahead, strong foundation for your art will make next steps easier.
2. Don´t be afraid to start over, if you find that you could done something better, start over and find out if your new idea is better than previous one, multiple maps for test is a good idea for that.
3. Organize and document. Don´t limit to a single map, mixing multiple maps (one for sketch, other for test, other for the actual map, etc) will  result in a more polished work.
4. Don´t be afraid to use mods, for example, EEditor (EEOditor)
5. Background knowledge, learn fundamentals on art is important to create art, not just in EE but everywhere.
6. Get references, working by mind is good as long is just for practice or you really know what you are doing, normally it is better to find references and seek for ideas and suggestions.
7. Use a good palette, color is a very important piece for your art, a good palette will make your art look even nicer.
8. Start simple, starting simple and then build details afterwards, that gives you a good idea of how things are looking.
9. Gather feedback, but don´t rely completely on it, you will get criticism and toxic reviews, you will have to determine which feedback will help you improve your art progress.
10. Build with friends!, it is a good way to encourage yourself and your partners to improve skills and build more often.
11. Healthy adversaries, find around the game players you want to learn from, and try to gather all their techniques for building maps, play their maps and find what you like what you don´t to create your own style afterwards.
12. Research all you can on how to do art (in EE and outside EE) will often enrich your art style.
13. Try new things and master other as well! You will eventually get very good on some art styles, you will want to lean next new art styles, don´t get stuck with a single style, but embrace what you have learnt so far and be critique about it.
14. Practice, if you don´t practice often you will get rust, and will have to learn "again" many things, to keep your art style improving, you have to practice.
15. Enjoy!, to build fantastic maps, it is better to enjoy what you are doing, have passion on it, if you are not too much happy on what you are building the results might be hindered by your will. Find out what passion you and why you want to do build such world, take your time and don´t rush things.
16. Prioritize, it is very likely some maps you make will never be finished, as you will start new maps you are more interested in doing, it is super common around players, you will need to prioritize what maps you want to build the most, and decide what maps you want to postpone or even delete.
17. "Five minutes build", in case you don´t find strengths to build, tell yourself to build for five minutes only, usually you will end up building for hours and hours after that.
18. Size matters, while building minigames, you have to think if you want to fit the minigame into the art OR to fit the art into the minigame, both procedures have their pros and cons, so you will need to see what you want. fitting the art into the minigame gives more flexibility on minigame, and fitting minigame on art gives more flexibility on art, you decide what process you want to use.
PS: I don´t suggest fitting minigames into art as for me it is super important to make good minigames, instead build the art on top of the minigame and tweak it if needed to merge better the both. (although sometimes fitting minigames into art gives some very interesting minigame results).

_

I find it hard to do in-game art, as it requires to balance minigames with artwork, usually ended up doing a mess, improved over the years, I always seek to learn and re-learn to continue improving.

Those are the final minis (and in-game art) I made in EE:

#9 2021-08-16 17:28:35

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

AllenCaspe9510 wrote:

I always wondered how you guys managed to make good minimaps in EE worlds. I have complied some of my favorite ones all located in EEO. I always admire the colors, the creativity, the structures, the ideas built in these minimaps, especially how they also represent as fun challenge rooms. So I really wondered how did EE players actually did this. I really wanted to try it out in Everybody Edits Offline because I wanted to start improving in art. Although, I'm quite a noob in art but I like sharing my creativity and ideas.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … nknown.png

If your a beginner in EE arts, how does it feel likes to begin in doing art? I know that people get frustrated about plates? prattles? platelets? what was it called? But ehh, I feel like I'm used to it. As long I get to make something that helps me in art. I'm okay with it. Do you guys have tips in doing art in EE? Do you have art in EEO you like to share? Maybe I could get inspired.

From what I learned while playing this game; ... Starting from when I only knew of trolling or building with single line blocks/shapes to playing levels continuing to get inspired and constantly creating, this was something EE was so amazing at ... It was the ability to draw out the creativity to make something out of nothing based on what your peers were making.

All in all I learned that there are really three components that are the backbone, mini-game/story-line/purpose, art/theme/colorways, and unique physics/system/concept; From those three you are on your way to creating something magnificent, and to make things even better be consistent in your style throughout your creation, this will allow you to create a pseudo-realistic view of game-play, as your level may just even become like/look like a whole different game... within a game... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

fun! best part is this can apply to real life... and vise versa ... !

peace.

Wooted by:
Kaleb1629131315791037

Board footer