Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-31 19:53:50, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-07-31 23:40:11)

Minisaurus
Banned

Has EE got pwned (Breach) again? Is it safe to continue playing EE?

Is it safe to play EE or it might be dangerous?
Are our accounts hacked? How do people got tons of gems and colored usernames?
Can someone in the staff confidently say answers to those questions please?
Can the staff ensure that this will not happen again?
What measurements has been taken by the staff?

#2 2020-07-31 19:57:41

Minimania
Moderation Team

Re: Has EE got pwned (Breach) again? Is it safe to continue playing EE?

There's no informarion leak. The hacker simply renamed a bunch of people's usernames to have some string of periods, then gave a **** ton of people gems and admin powers, which some used to buy Big Spender and Diamonds. Lastly, they gave some people colored usernames. This is all the damage they caused, and I am 100% confident in this.

Everybody Edits is... well, unplayable, though, so, definitely not "safe to play".

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2020-07-31 20:33:18

theoldinese

it is very safe, safest time in all of history in fact!

#4 2020-07-31 20:51:00

Nebula

Luridmetal35 wrote:

I understand the situation approximately, so I can answer your easy questions.
Atilla is responsible for hacking. He took offense at the staff, because we were categorically opposed unbanning his accounts.
Therefore, according to his logic: if he can't play, then others won't play either.

No information of players was leaked, and if this happens, then I think, by law Atilla should face administrative (if not criminal) responsibility.
Apparently Atilla has control over the game. He unbanned his account yesterday without any problems, effort.
https://i.imgur.com/k0sV4yx.png
I don't know if it can be prevented. Atilla's conditions were to unban his account, then he would stop harming the game.
His conditions were refused, nobody wants to dance to his tune. I don't think such a person can be trusted at all.
https://i.imgur.com/QMTWlXX.png
John is trying to fix the game.
But now we can draw conclusions about who was previously responsible for 2019 data breach //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I'm telling her on another thing, when I was been blocked on Discord and didn't got the reason why.

#5 2020-07-31 21:03:04, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-07-31 21:42:09)

Minisaurus
Banned

Not sure why, but your response does not make me feel any safer Luridmetal35

It tell me that we can have a new leak whenever the hacker (Can be whoever, not necessarily Atilla) want to do it, and can be much worse
John fixing the game means that it was trashed? It sounds to me like a very serious issue and security vulneravilities evidence

In concluson, we can be hacked eventually again, EE is not safe to play and we can be sure that the problem won´t fade anytime soon, latent waiting to strike again

Wooted by:

#6 2020-07-31 21:14:31

Minisaurus
Banned

Luridmetal35 wrote:

It's up to you whether you want to play this game or not.

And that is why I have not been using my main account in EE, it looks to me very unstable to trust or play with my main account

#7 2020-07-31 21:30:38

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Luridmetal35 wrote:

Therefore, according to his logic: if he can't play, then others won't play either

what was going on did not interrupt other people playing
i, for one, wouldnt have played yesterday at all if it wasnt for this event

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (3)

#8 2020-07-31 21:33:54

theoldinese

TaskManager wrote:
Luridmetal35 wrote:

Therefore, according to his logic: if he can't play, then others won't play either

what was going on did not interrupt other people playing
i, for one, wouldnt have played yesterday at all if it wasnt for this event

we need more of this

#9 2020-07-31 21:48:37, last edited by Zumza (2020-07-31 21:49:11)

Zumza

Disclosure:
I am quite clueless on what's going on.
From my limited information EE got hacked after Atilla's request for an unban was declined.

I am also completely unfamiliar with the reason of Atilla's ban.

----

It would seem that keeping Atilla banned is more destructive to the community rather than having him unbanned.

I don't understand how exactly the mod team is protecting the community by keeping him banned.

Atilla would probably receive a form of cancelation from the rest of the players if he would be unbanned, anyways.

This is a vanity war and I don't see any wise reason on preserving the ban.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#10 2020-07-31 21:56:48

XxAtillaxX

Luridmetal35 wrote:

I don't know if it can be prevented. Atilla's conditions were to unban his account, then he would stop harming the game.
His conditions were refused, nobody wants to dance to his tune. I don't think such a person can be trusted at all.

harming the game by... people having rainbow usernames and items in a game that is supposedly getting shut down soon because the mythical Everybody Edits Universe is on its way!!!!!

Zumza wrote:

a form of cancelation

almost as powerful as the constitution itself

signature.png
*u stinky*

#11 2020-07-31 22:01:48, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-07-31 22:08:11)

Minisaurus
Banned

How I see things, if Atilla truly is the hacker behind the attack then I don´t see a reason to unban him, but there is no proof to show that he is indeed the hacker

Imagine if everyone who get banned start to hack the game and make everyone unable to play the game (The staff will of course close the game if everyone get random stuff going on that does not suppose to happen)
In this case we can do two things, one is to give everyone impunity to get banned and other option is to keep the ban and continue having attacks going on
Making someone immune to be banned means a lot legally, it would imply to allow them to do all kind of harm to other players and get away with it

In other hand, if we don´t unban, we get constant attacks to the game, I think that in this situation the things go out of control for the staff, currently unable to improve the game security
In result we have an unplayable game full of angry hackers and a staff that can´t handle the situation (Is LITERALLY out of their control to solve this vulnerability, as they themselves stated many times before)

#12 2020-07-31 22:10:23

Kira

"It's up to you whether you want to play this game or not."

This is the most unprofessional statement I've ever seen. No it's not up to the community. It's up to the staff to start living up to their promises.

#13 2020-07-31 23:05:44

Minimania
Moderation Team

Luridmetal35 wrote:

I understand the situation approximately, so I can answer your easy questions.
Atilla is responsible for hacking. He took offense at the staff, because we were categorically opposed unbanning his accounts.
Therefore, according to his logic: if he can't play, then others won't play either.

No information of players was leaked, and if this happens, then I think, by law Atilla should face administrative (if not criminal) responsibility.
Apparently Atilla has control over the game. He unbanned his account yesterday without any problems, effort.
https://i.imgur.com/k0sV4yx.png
https://i.imgur.com/QMTWlXX.png
John is trying to fix the game.
But now we can draw conclusions about who was previously responsible for 2019 data breach //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

This honestly comes off as so misled.

For starters, Atilla was not the only suspect for who might have leaked the information from the game back then. Xeno's prime suspect was actually Gosha, though I do not believe this. Atilla claimed they played no part in the information leak. At some point, two unknown people known as bobthehacker and elonmusk claimed to be responsible for the leaks (there were two leaks). It's very clear they had some sort of motive in doing it, as they made it very abundantly clear that the database was not safe, and that EE was taking what should be private information from players, such as Private Messages, IP Addresses, and their names, too, for those playing on Facebook, among other things. It was after these two data breaches that ugotpwned was finally notified, and the game was updated to no longer hold such information.

So, even if Atilla really wanted this information, there is no way they could gain it, from my understanding.

Also, you misunderstand Atilla's character. Their motive for taking control of the game and... giving people thousands of gems, some admin powers, and colored usernames, is as a petty sort of revenge for not unbanning them. Sure, not the right thing to do, but if Atilla were angry at the mod team, why would they punish the community for it? It's not even that Atilla is angry at the whole staff team. If they were, then they would not have been helping John fix the game yesterday in the Voice Chat for the discord server.

I at first could not understand how you could be so uneducated on these matters as a mod, but then I remembered that you weren't always so active or familiar in this community, and you got your position because you could translate. That's not really any of my business, but you should do your research before making assumptions.

21cZxBv.png

Wooted by: (2)

#14 2020-07-31 23:14:59

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

I think players learned already to use a unique password and dummy email, and not send any sensitive/personal information in chat/PMs/mail. Beyond maybe not spending real money in the shop in case that’s insecure, what other dangers are there?

Someone uploads a custom game client with a Flash exploit that Adobe themselves haven’t patched? A hacker gets edit access to the webpage and inserts something malicious that browser/OS security can’t handle? I could be completely wrong but I feel there’s not much real harm that could be done to players who aren’t fooled by things like in-game phishing or other social engineering trickery.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#15 2020-08-01 00:43:39

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

LuridMetal35's views do not reflect those of the staff overall. He does not represent staff in his statements.

Minisaurus wrote:

Is it safe to play EE or it might be dangerous?

Currently completely safe. There is no evidence whatsoever of any further data breach occurring in this event.

Minisaurus wrote:

Are our accounts hacked? How do people got tons of gems and colored usernames?

Although we are still investigating, in a nutshell, PlayerObjects and PayVault were compromised, seemingly through an external server designed to hack into the backend.

Minisaurus wrote:

Can someone in the staff confidently say answers to those questions please?

Yes

Minisaurus wrote:

Can the staff ensure that this will not happen again?

No

Minisaurus wrote:

What measurements has been taken by the staff?

We already took the necessary security precautions last year, such as no longer storing IP addresses, migrating the site and client away from PlayerIO, making it impossible to export personal data such as emails, and hardcoding all members of staff. We've contacted PlayerIO to take the necessary steps to block out all incoming connections again, but we cannot guarantee there won't be a further attack of some variety.

Xenonetix_2.png

#16 2020-08-01 01:21:46

Minimania
Moderation Team

Thank you

21cZxBv.png

#17 2020-08-01 01:41:22, last edited by LukeM (2020-08-01 01:42:13)

LukeM
Website

I should probably point out that the vulnerability I found with PlayerIO last year wouldn’t apply in this case so this is probably not the same thing, a similar attack would have needed access to Xenonetix’s passwords, in which case all bets are off on which parts of the site are compromised and whether another major breach might happen.

#18 2020-08-01 10:16:48

peace

callthe polcie for antilla? i mean shes not allowe to do these sort of things eventough its only 'minor'

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#19 2020-08-01 11:31:54

Filip2005
Website

this is a bruh moment

I am Filip and I like women.

Wooted by:

#20 2020-08-01 12:09:16

Gosha

peace wrote:

callthe polcie for antilla? i mean shes not allowe to do these sort of things eventough its only 'minor'

SQO3nm6.png

#21 2020-08-01 15:26:55

Pqwerty

YOU KNOW WHAT? I'M GONNA TELL YOU RIGHT NOW! THIS IS FROM HER FATHER! YOU BUNCH OF LYIN' NO GOOD PUNKS! AND I KNOW WHO IT'S COMING FROM BECAUSE I BACKTRACED IT! AND I KNOW WHO'S EMAILING AND WHO'S DOING IT! AND YOU'VE BEEN REPORTED TO THE CYBERPOLICE AND THE STATE POLICE! IF YOU BETTER TRY ONE MORE THING OR SCREW WITH MY COMPUTER AGAIN, YOU'LL BE ARRESTED! END OF CONVERSATION! FROM. HER. FATHER! AND IF YOU COME NEAR MY DAUGHTER, GUESS WHAT! CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! YA LYIN' BUNCH OF PRICKS!

Wooted by:

#22 2020-08-01 17:03:19, last edited by XXTHEOREOFAIRYXX EE (2020-08-02 09:21:26)

XXTHEOREOFAIRYXX EE

I think it's fixed! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#23 2020-08-01 17:26:08

Gosha

btw if atilla was the hacker back then, showed power, you "fixed" the game and called it completely safe
and now the moment he gets banned he again shows that he has control

This is very likely means that he had control all this time but decided not to use it

How can you call it "Currently completely safe." this is false.

#24 2020-08-01 17:58:19, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-08-01 18:23:20)

Minisaurus
Banned

Xenonetix said that attacks can be expected, so I wonder how bad can the next attacks be (EE is exposed to whatever hacker, not necessarily known ones)
The staff said that all user data is secured, but I am certainly worried of what the staff consider "safe"
How much damage can the hacker do to the player (About Privacy & Security) theoretically?

#25 2020-08-01 18:42:29

Andymakeer

why would someone hack EE?
that person may be a really sad person...

F

peace1596436779783786

Board footer