Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-22 04:07:31, last edited by eggtart (2020-04-22 04:08:03)

eggtart

EE in the in the old days

I'm  relatively new to everybody edits, and I am wondering what EE was a while ago. Now there are only like 15 players? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral So can someone tell me what it was like?

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2020-04-22 05:34:28

Pqwerty

Re: EE in the in the old days

lots of players online. lots of stairs levels. lots of boss levels. lots of bosses.

there was a point where the only worlds were open worlds.

#3 2020-04-22 07:41:30

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

it was fun

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (5)

#4 2020-04-22 07:47:00

Kira

2010>2012 paradise
2012>2016 degenerate era
2016>present hell

#5 2020-04-22 09:15:29

XxAtillaxX

the game was so good back in 2010-2012 that we still have emotions attached to it 8 years later.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#6 2020-04-22 17:12:38

bunglybongle

anytime before xeno was good

#7 2020-04-22 18:07:02

Lictor666

despite all of the things hapenning i think everybody is secretly hoping to see the game reborn from his ashes to be one of the best true veterant ever existed

Wooted by:

#8 2020-04-22 19:37:46, last edited by N1KF (2020-04-22 19:44:52)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I recall seeing over 2,000 players online. The top worlds in the lobby would always have 10 or more players, usually with a few over 30. Fairly often worlds would get over 40 players, being "full" and sent to the bottom of the lobby. The game client could only process specific characters when renaming worlds (alphanumeric, spaces, maybe dashes?) so worlds with special characters in the title usually meant they were edited with a bot. Without the in-game crew system, there were lots and lots of crews on the forums. EX Crew, MG Crew, KO Crew...let's just say there were a lot with the Two-Letter Crew naming pattern.

Without /giveedit commands, /removeedit commands, or even private messages, users had to be careful how they give code. Usually they would do this by drawing the code out in invisible blocks (so they couldn't be seen on the minimap), or through external chat services such as Tinychat or an IRC. This is why old crew levels such as EX Crew's "Are You a God" often have references to their chat rooms. Without the ability to directly control world access users could type swear words in their world titles, which would then be censored and not appear in the lobby.

Chat costed $0.01 (later increased to $0.50 then $3.00 if I recall correctly) as a "parental lock", preventing users without credit card use to read or use chat. We had to use quickchat, those ten buttons you see on the chat tab nobody ever uses except to meme. (Hi. Goodbye. Thank you. etc.) In 2012 though the friends system was added, allowing friends to talk with each other, before chat was eventually made free.

Without switches or boost arrows, level systems were much more limited and had to use a combination of arrows, keys, and coin doors. With no signs, world owners would have to spell text out in blocks or pray that a staff member comes to their world and places a text label block.

Rather than blocks like cakes or world portals, many important action blocks were limited. A single portal costed 625 energy, before the purchase and owned amount was multiplied by 5. Blocks such as coin doors, switch doors, and hazards came in batches of 10, costing about 1000 each. Even spawn points costed energy. It was quite impressive to see levels with lots of these blocks...until a bug was discovered, allowing players to place infinite amounts of any block. Win trophies were exclusive to 1 per world, and you couldn't buy more than that.

In around the 2012-2014 era many experimental features were added. These include Builders Club, which gave you infinite of nearly every block, every classic smiley, plus special doors and gates before being entirely replaced with Gold Membership. A leveling system gave players higher max energy, a badge, and a rank, which could go up to Level 12 by getting magic coins. Magic coins were different in this period, being far more common (you could get around 10 a day if you play enough) and adding to the levels rather than having direct rewards. Potions briefly gave players effects such as jump boost or different aura/minimap colors, but they were later replaced with effect blocks and the ability to customize auras. Potions were often used to troll levels by starting a curse or zombie invasion. Potions, as well as many smileys were locked behind the leveling system. Finally, there were woots, which players had 5 (later 10) a day and could give them to a level to temporarily boost their place in the lobby. Those were replaced with the like and favorite feature.

On Kongregate the main EE chat room usually had around 100 users in it. There were 5 total chat rooms. Now there are like 5-10 users there with a single chat room wow. The Kongregate EE board was a spicy cesspool of crime and villainy, filled with false rumors, arguments, and weird fanfics and smiley comics. And yes I was part of the problem.

Meanwhile the cool kids visited the EE forums, which are still around and you're reading them right now. Alongside the wiki they were hosted by Cyclone, former staff member on his forum hosting service, Forumify. The domain name was ee.forumify.com. They went down late 2013, before Atilla and Meredith1999 unofficially cloned them at eeforumify.com. After some struggling they then moved to eeforums.com, and now they're back at forums.everybodyedits.com with a default design blander than ever, currently maintained by classic forum moderator Different55 since 2015.

As for the websites themselves, the Wayback Machine comes very helpful here. Here's the EE website in early 2010 May, late 2010 May, 2010 September, 2012 May, 2012 December, and 2015 February. Here's what the forums looked like in 2010, 2011, 2014 2015. Here's the EE Wiki in 2013.

IcXj3zL.png
G0WWD.png
KexmpkR.png
CrQXLRm.png
edit: Various menu designs from 2010 and 2011
te6Fgl5.gif

For more screenshots, you can find quite a few 2014 screenshots here, and more here

There are various videos of old EE you can find on YouTube. To end it off, here's a classic:

#9 2020-04-22 21:06:33

Kira

N1KF wrote:

TaRadb6xSDKtU6eYSLoANw.png

Wooted by: (3)

#10 2020-04-23 01:19:13

Cola1

I recently found my crusty weebly website for an old deleted RPG level, I was not prepared for the sort of nostalgia deluge in this topic //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Off the top of my head:

• People relied on the smiley's expressions to communicate

• //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue and //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad often indicated a potential troller

• Big Spender was a free ticket to getting the code a lot of the time

• "Hackers" still existed, but were mostly people using cheat engine or WEP pro

• Tinychat urls often plastered onto the minimaps

• "Troll meters." I'd see people make them and fill them in whenever someone annoyed them. When it got full, they'd destroy their own world

• Linus21 AKA he whose name shall not be spoken

• That one time they messed up the physics engine and you could jump on < and > gravity arrows

• More level variety, more creativity imo.

• The cruelest players back then were simply key spammers who blocked everyone from passing. (Along with trolls, but they're pretty timeless)

• All your friends were there...

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#11 2020-04-23 07:02:26

Kkay
Formerly Kaydog99

This made me depressed since we're never gonna experience that again.

#12 2020-04-23 08:44:21

peace

troll box in free edit worl who was filled already wiht trolls before yoou coudl troll in it

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:
peace1587627861779836

Board footer