Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

Donate!

pls donate


#1 2019-11-04 14:26:33, last edited by Minisaurus (2019-11-05 15:47:43)

Minisaurus
Design Team
From: Under your bed
Joined: 2015-02-26
Posts: 546

I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Note: There are third parties who will have flash alive for a while until their contract ends, idk if that apply to shockwave, this topic is about when flash die completely for the web browsers

_________
Question 1: Can I play adobe flash games after it´s death using SFW files?

If I have the SFW file of the flash game, will I be able to play the game as long as I have the file? (using a SFW player or decompile software or so)

_________
Question 2: Can I still play shockwave games?
I would like to download and play shockwave games again, Is there a way to obtain access to shockwave games and download them (And play them using a software)?

For example: Rapunzel's Escape shockwave game


3hEn3Lh.png
Note for EE Staff: I allow the introduction of any of my worlds for any official campaign.

Offline

Wooted by:

#2 2019-11-04 14:57:26

Different55
Forum Admin
Joined: 2015-02-07
Posts: 16,082

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Minisaurus wrote:

Question 1: Can I play adobe flash games after it´s death using SFW files?

If I have the SFW file of the flash game, will I be able to play the game as long as I have the file? (using a SFW player or decompile software or so)

Yes, there are no self-destructs built into flash. If you have the swf and a standalone flash player, they will continue to work. They will not receive security updates so for safety you should run flash things inside a sandbox or VM.

Minisaurus wrote:

Question 2: Can I still play shockwave games?
I would like to download and play shockwave games again, Is there a way to obtain access to shockwave games and download them (And play them using a software)?

For example: Rapunzel's Escape shockwave game

If you inspect the source or the live page you should find the URL to the swf file that you should be able to feed into the standalone flash player.


"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Offline

Wooted by:

#3 2019-11-04 16:08:24, last edited by Minisaurus (2019-11-04 16:24:22)

Minisaurus
Design Team
From: Under your bed
Joined: 2015-02-26
Posts: 546

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Different55 wrote:

They will not receive security updates so for safety you should run flash things inside a sandbox or VM.

Like the SFW files comes with a door that hackers can use to introduce viruses to my computer later on, or do the viruses already  come inside within the SFW files?


Are SFW files like doors for hackers?


3hEn3Lh.png
Note for EE Staff: I allow the introduction of any of my worlds for any official campaign.

Offline

#4 2019-11-04 17:19:21

LukeM
Dev Team
From: England
Joined: 2016-06-03
Posts: 2,902
Website

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Minisaurus wrote:
Different55 wrote:

They will not receive security updates so for safety you should run flash things inside a sandbox or VM.

Like the SFW files comes with a door that hackers can use to introduce viruses to my computer later on, or do the viruses already come inside within the SFW files?


Are SFW files like doors for hackers?

Adobe currently try to fix any security vulnerabilities they find with Flash as soon as they can, they're basically making sure that people can't do any damage to your files or computer, or get access to anything you don't give them access to. Once they end support for Flash they'll no longer do this though, meaning that it's possible that there is some (currently unknown) exploit that will allow someone to do some (currently unknown) damage in some (currently unknown) way.

Offline

Wooted by:

#5 2019-11-04 17:39:05

peace
Member
From: admin land
Joined: 2015-08-10
Posts: 6,624

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

what will happen to flash games that are on the web on sies liek kong where the devs diddnt port it over?


peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better

Offline

#6 2019-11-04 18:05:01

Zumza
Member
From: root
Joined: 2015-02-17
Posts: 4,506

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

LukeM wrote:
Minisaurus wrote:
Different55 wrote:

They will not receive security updates so for safety you should run flash things inside a sandbox or VM.

Like the SFW files comes with a door that hackers can use to introduce viruses to my computer later on, or do the viruses already come inside within the SFW files?


Are SFW files like doors for hackers?

Adobe currently try to fix any security vulnerabilities they find with Flash as soon as they can, they're basically making sure that people can't do any damage to your files or computer, or get access to anything you don't give them access to. Once they end support for Flash they'll no longer do this though, meaning that it's possible that there is some (currently unknown) exploit that will allow someone to do some (currently unknown) damage in some (currently unknown) way.

TL;DR;
Very simply put: you should regard them like .EXE files.
An antivirus could give you a false positive, or a false negative.

So if you trust the source you should be okay. If not, well..


Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

Offline

#7 2019-11-04 22:04:58, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2019-11-04 22:05:46)

XxAtillaxX
Member
From: Canada
Joined: 2015-11-28
Posts: 4,005

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Adobe has thousands of vulnerabilities found in their software every year. I would highly advise people to disable Flash in their browser by default and optimally run it in a sandbox or virtual environment.
I have some limited but working experience with Flash vulnerabilities and there are a few that allow for arbitrary code execution still in circulation. A month ago I helped disinfect my brother's computer after he managed to get a bitcoin miner installed after using those 'free movie' streaming sites that rely on Flash.


signature.png

Offline

Wooted by:

#8 2019-11-05 03:22:05

sxrrealism
Formerly Arizona0117
From: europe
Joined: 2018-06-08
Posts: 408

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

it dies lol


I fricking hate Stuart Little. I know what you’re thinking, this is some kind of funny joke, but no. Stuart Little is a piece of crap. A damn rat got picked over actual children at an orphanage and he’s supposed to be a hero? And I can’t even tell you how many damn times I’ve seen a great parking space only to turn the corner and realise Stuart Little is already parked there in his stupid little fricking convertible. He took my wife and the kids and my house and my job. I swear to fricking god, I’m going to kill myself and take that goddarn rodent to heck with me. Stuart Little has ruined my family. Last summer, I approached the miserable mouse in the street, and asked him for his autograph, because my son is a huge fan. The fricking rat gave me the autograph and told me to burn in heck. Later, when I gave my son the autograph he started crying and said he hated me. Turns out the mousefricker didnt write his autograph, no, he wrote “you’re a piece of crap, and i fricked your mom”. I’m now divorced, and planning a huge class-action lawsuit against the white devil that ruined my life. Your time is almost over, Stuart. All the people you’ve wronged will rise against you.

Offline

Wooted by:

#9 2019-11-05 03:33:12

NoNK
Member
Joined: 2019-07-13
Posts: 543

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Will this have any effect on hospital software and medical systems that are currently running on flash? ie. pacemakers, critical life support equipment, MRI machines, etc.

Offline

#10 2019-11-05 04:21:57

Different55
Forum Admin
Joined: 2015-02-07
Posts: 16,082

Re: I have two questions about: Adobe Flash dies in 2020 & shockwave died

Anyone who has a pacemaker running Adobe Flash has most likely already died from it.


"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Offline

Wooted by: (2)
Different551572924117767442

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

[ Started around 1573682208.444 - Generated in 0.045 seconds, 13 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.42 MiB (Peak: 1.58 MiB) ]