Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-08-03 16:39:01

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Re: What are like the actual differences between EE and EEU?

600x400 max world size? i don't remember learning about this. I sure hope that's enough space for the big shameless game remakes worlds i wanna make.

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by: (2)

#27 2019-08-03 16:53:47

Sensei1

Xenonetix wrote:

Auto-Tiling - This won't apply to every block, but will hopefully apply to a few. For example, a brick wall could look more like a single brick wall rather than lots of wall 'squares'.

I think editing features like these are pretty important. Especially auto-tiling, since areas filled with blocks tend to look kinda messy on EE.

#28 2019-08-03 17:39:47

Snowester

3 currencies? Oh boi this is slowly turning into EA game... Perhaps EEAU

#29 2019-08-03 18:00:52, last edited by ZeldaXD (2019-08-03 18:02:39)

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

XENONETIX said to EE, “A man has unfolded to me a scheme, and has shown me the manner in which it can be carried out. And I assure you that it is in so many ways admirable and worthy of approval, that, if heaven blessed me with the success it promises, it would be much to my advantage; for so many things spring out of it, the one from the other, that in the end it would be a very great and noble achievement.” He then informed EE of all the particulars. After they had heard Xenonetix’s arguments, answered him thus: —

“My lord, I have always understood that it is wisest to adhere to the things which are certain, and not be ever running after shadows and vain things, lest it happen to you as it did to Truhana.”

Xenonetix desired them to relate this story, which EE did as follows: —

“A woman named Truhana, who was not very rich, went one day to market, carrying on her head a jar of honey. Along the road she was calculating how she could sell the honey and buy eggs, these eggs would produce chickens, and with the produce of the sale of these latter she would buy lambs; and in this way was calculating how she would become richer than her neighbours, and looked forward with anxiety to well marrying her sons and daughters, and how she would go through the streets, accompanied by her sons and daughters-in-law, and how the people would say what a fortunate woman she was to become so rich, having been so very poor. Under the influence of these pleasurable thoughts, she laughed heartily; when, suddenly striking the jar with her hand, it fell to the ground and was broken. Seeing this, she was in great grief at being so suddenly deprived of all her flattering anticipations; for, having fixed all her thoughts upon an illusion, she lost that which was real.

“And you, my lord, if you allow yourself to listen to everything that is proposed to you, so as to lose sight of the real and good, you can only blame yourself for your failure.”

Xenonetix was much pleased, and followed this good advice. And the author, liking the moral, wrote, and ordered to be put in this book the following lines: —

Confine your thoughts to what is real,
And cease to nurse a vain ideal.

gLjTZE1.png

#30 2019-08-03 18:04:55

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

I like it. Sounds very Bioshock Infinite.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#31 2019-08-03 18:07:35

mikelolsuperman
Website

Xenonetix wrote:
  • Vision Zones - Pretty much exactly what Vision Blockers would have done, but without the 'block' needing to be placed. Players whilst in these zones would only see the area within the Vision Zone!

Can we place vision zones smaller than the screen size that will black out the rest of the screen untill the zone's been left?

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#32 2019-08-03 18:20:38, last edited by LukeM (2019-08-03 18:22:27)

LukeM
Website

PiotrGrochowski wrote:

Sorry, but I don't think it would be a good idea to use something like that which really isn't designed for sprites, not to mention the fact that it wouldn't support any sort of blending for colours.

There are automated systems for 'hinting' in SVGs, but we've had limited success when using them, as it seems like it causes the blocks to look different in different browsers, and sometimes leads to strange artefacts. There's also the option of pre-rendering the SVGs server-side, then sending bitmaps to the client, which would help with the consistancy and possibly allow for better hinting, but would increase the bandwidth used, lead to a delay when resizing the game, and slightly decrease the quality of the images at non-exact multiples of 24x24 anyway. This is something we'll be looking into again later in development once the beta is out.

mikelolsuperman wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:
  • Vision Zones - Pretty much exactly what Vision Blockers would have done, but without the 'block' needing to be placed. Players whilst in these zones would only see the area within the Vision Zone!

Can we place vision zones smaller than the screen size that will black out the rest of the screen untill the zone's been left?

We haven't discussed this specifically, so don't take this as 100% fact, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#33 2019-08-03 19:20:29

PiotrGrochowski

LukeM wrote:
PiotrGrochowski wrote:

Sorry, but I don't think it would be a good idea to use something like that which really isn't designed for sprites, not to mention the fact that it wouldn't support any sort of blending for colours.

There are automated systems for 'hinting' in SVGs, but we've had limited success when using them, as it seems like it causes the blocks to look different in different browsers, and sometimes leads to strange artefacts. There's also the option of pre-rendering the SVGs server-side, then sending bitmaps to the client, which would help with the consistancy and possibly allow for better hinting, but would increase the bandwidth used, lead to a delay when resizing the game, and slightly decrease the quality of the images at non-exact multiples of 24x24 anyway. This is something we'll be looking into again later in development once the beta is out.

Stuff like SVG autohinting is not nearly as flexible as TrueType hinting. As I said, TrueType is literally a programming language. Even if it "isn't designed for sprites" it can always achieve the desired hinting effect with the right code, and therefore stuff like "and slightly decrease the quality of the images at non-exact multiples of 24x24 anyway" would not happen if hinting is done correctly.

"not to mention the fact that it wouldn't support any sort of blending for colours"
then you could instead render the font in a texture rather than a solid color.
Note that font rendering works by supersampling the hinted outline, then scaling it down with a box filter. So, when applying a texture, you would supersample the hinted outline, then replace the non-transparent pixels with the corresponding texture pixels. With a theoretical multi layer system, the layers would be merged before downsampling the result. When downsampling, make sure to apply the right gamma correction and to correctly handle the alpha channel.

Supersampling rates for different font rendering modes:
non-anti-aliased: 1×1
standard anti-aliasing: 4×4
ClearType: 6×1 (also shift red channel 2 samples right, shift blue channel 2 samples left)
ClearType with anti-aliasing: 6×6 (also shift red channel 2 samples right, shift blue channel 2 samples left)

Also note that ClearType, when hinting horizontally, snaps to samples rather than full pixels.

I'm known as "haslo" in EE. Also, I refuse to play EEU.

#34 2019-08-03 19:58:01

ASDruska

did someone say shameless game remakes? because i'd sure want to remake i wanna be the boshy as soon as eeu comes out!!!

cringe ^
based v

#35 2019-08-03 21:03:34

Weirdoverse
Website

can we NOT get tons of microtransactions and other overly premium stuff jesus christ PLEASE

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

#36 2019-08-04 01:04:35, last edited by LukeM (2019-08-04 01:04:53)

LukeM
Website

PiotrGrochowski wrote:

By colour blending I mean any sort of alpha, afaik you'd never be able to get a gradient from one colour to another, which is something pretty much every EEU graphic uses.

I agree that TrueType may be great for black and white vector images, but it's not really a replacement for SVG graphics.

#37 2019-08-04 04:56:50

PiotrGrochowski

LukeM wrote:
PiotrGrochowski wrote:

By colour blending I mean any sort of alpha, afaik you'd never be able to get a gradient from one colour to another, which is something pretty much every EEU graphic uses.

I agree that TrueType may be great for black and white vector images, but it's not really a replacement for SVG graphics.

This is how a rasterized outline looks like in ClearType, right before downsampling:

TNRlcm12pt576dpiX96dpiYSamplesHinted.png

You could apply any texture onto it. Take a rasterized outline like this, and combine it with a texture of "a gradient from one colour to another".

#38 2019-08-04 05:55:17

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Can we see screenshots of eeu?

Discord: jawp#5123

#39 2019-08-04 09:03:07

Kira

mrjawapa wrote:

Can we see screenshots of eeu?

Hey.... Psssst, you over there... Yes, yes... you......

I'll give you a special deal... $8 per picture..... you down right...? Right? Pssst...

#40 2019-08-04 09:56:38

LukeM
Website

PiotrGrochowski wrote:
LukeM wrote:

This is how a rasterized outline looks like in ClearType, right before downsampling:

http://rastertragedy.com/Illus/TNRlcm12 … Hinted.png

You could apply any texture onto it. Take a rasterized outline like this, and combine it with a texture of "a gradient from one colour to another".

Then we'd need potentially hundreds of fonts per block though, and it would just generally be a massive pain to work with //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#41 2019-08-04 10:37:28, last edited by PiotrGrochowski (2019-08-04 10:41:05)

PiotrGrochowski

LukeM wrote:
PiotrGrochowski wrote:
LukeM wrote:

http://rastertragedy.com/Illus/TNRlcm12 … Hinted.png

Then we'd need potentially hundreds of fonts per block though, and it would just generally be a massive pain to work with //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

For a truly professional scalable layout this is the way to go though, whether you like it or not. If this isn't performed, the graphics aren't truly scalable, having blur and/or aliasing at many sizes (even worse if the block dimensions end up with a fractional amount of pixels).

Instead of combining fonts, you could combine characters of the same font.

Re-texturing could be used to achieve all the colors for a single block pack.

#42 2019-08-04 11:19:55, last edited by peace (2019-08-04 11:23:39)

peace

Different55 wrote:

Like I know the technical differences, HTML5 vs Flash and all that, getting rid of the cruft that's been build up over the years. But like from game to game what are the differences going to be? I could have sworn there was a topic going into more detail about how EEU was going to work as a game but I can't find anything now.

1 world which oyou can resaize toany size wiht a limit not confirmed yet (cost energy per block or smthng) smiley accesoires instead of smileys zones for music editing ect and.. wait a sec

EDIT i think you mean this and this

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#43 2019-08-04 12:17:14, last edited by PiotrGrochowski (2019-08-05 18:05:57)

PiotrGrochowski

A scalable layout would be perfect for EEU. There might be gamers out there blasting EEU on their 4K screen fullscreen, and some other people with a 1366×768 resolution that want the game in a 640×480 window. With a truly scalable layout, zoom can be set arbitrarily and I mean it. If 100% zoom corresponded to a block size of 24 pixels, a 20% zoom would correspond to a block size of 4.8 pixels. Depending on the method of rendering hinted blocks, you would end up with overlapping 5×5 blocks, or 4×4 blocks leaving gaps in between, or there being 4×4, 4×5, 5×4 and 5×5 blocks. If ClearType is used, then horizontally the blocks can be placed at fractional pixels because horizontal hinting doesn't apply to full pixels, so this problem only occurs vertically. It is up to the graphical designers to choose the best method of handling this. Going down to a zoom of 4.166666666666667%, the block size would be 1 pixel, and the view would become a fake minimap (or a real one if the EEU designers chose to use this zoom level as the minimap), but with stuff like players and coins being still visible. At such small zoom levels, using rendering methods without anti-aliasing (such as the standard non-anti-aliased rendering with 1×1 oversampling rate, or ClearType with 6×1 oversampling rate) would lead to artifacts if a border or something happens to occupy the whole pixel; this could also occur with anti-aliasing if the hinting isn't designed to handle such cases. Going below 4.166666666666667%, the block size would go below 1 pixel, and anti-aliasing becomes necessary to show all the blocks on screen; it's also possible to use subpixel rendering. With the right hinting strategy and with the right rendering engine, all cases can be handled.

/s And while at it, also hint the fonts used for text in such a way that they can be rendered at any size including fractional point sizes with any rendering engine. It is possible. s/ I don't think users will notice the font size being rounded to integer anyway. The block size being integer can be noticeable though, especially when dealing with very small zoom levels.

Here are some pictures of what a scalable layout in EEU might look like: https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … 73#p757973 (note that in the post, the block sizes and the font sizes are rounded to an integer amount of pixels, which might or might not be the best solution?)

Obviously the block fonts shouldn't be rendered by the browser or by the operating system, but by EEU itself; this ensures that the characters can always be textured and layered correctly and that the rendering is consistent.

#44 2019-08-09 18:45:54

daneeko

lukem, how will ee currency transfer to eeu? i really want to know //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad

UzI5nBc.png

#45 2019-08-09 18:50:28

LukeM
Website

Daneeko wrote:

lukem, how will ee currency transfer to eeu? i really want to know //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad

Xeno wrote a fairly in-depth explanation here: https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=44649

#46 2019-08-11 09:45:24

Charlie59876EE

Will the friends carry over from EE to EEU? (the ones who play EEU ofc)

When your energy refills...
mfe5hE8.png

#47 2019-08-11 09:50:49

peace

Charlie59876EE wrote:

nope sorry you have tofind each other again but dont worry if EE is goig ng to be saved and there is an verlapping period you can just add them all back asumign they keep the same username so that hsouldnt be a big problem

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#48 2019-08-11 11:02:51

Charlie59876EE

peace wrote:
Charlie59876EE wrote:

nope sorry you have tofind each other again but dont worry if EE is goig ng to be saved and there is an verlapping period you can just add them all back asumign they keep the same username so that hsouldnt be a big problem

But how will i remember all the usernames. i mean i have alot of people on my friends list, and i know hardly any of their exact names on EE. and i can't even check now EE's down

When your energy refills...
mfe5hE8.png

Charlie59876EE1565517771758602

Board footer