Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#876 2019-01-25 18:15:46

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Off-Topic chat thread

Renamed to off-topic chat thread because I think it fits better.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#877 2019-01-25 20:34:22

Minimania
Moderation Team

So, I wonder who else here might like Melanie Martinez?

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#878 2019-01-25 20:37:01

mikelolsuperman
Website

Different55 wrote:

Renamed to off-topic chat thread because I think it fits better.

What was it named before?

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#879 2019-01-27 15:26:34, last edited by JadElClemens (2019-01-27 15:30:13)

JadElClemens

I just made a big ol' gooferino, my friends //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

So I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on an old Thinkpad of mine, as one does. I decided to run a quick test before wiping my drive just to see what kind of a night I was in for, so I quickly (read: slowly) grabbed the Linux source from Github and attempted to benchmark the compilation. Actually I manually paged through every file in the source tree and typed it out by hand but that's beside the point.

Three hours in I decided I wasn't gonna sit around for that. It was sure to be a long night if I didn't speed things up a bit, so I installed and started distcc on every computer I could get my hands on, hoping it would turn a multi-hour process into... still a multi-hour process in most likelihood, but hopefully less so. I ran through the Gentoo install, and got to the very exciting

emerge @world

About three hours later, I notice that although jobs are being dispatched to my other machines (occasionally), they eventually fail and are built by the laptop anyways. Oh no!

After about a half hour of googling and trying different things out, I realized that my slave machines were running a different55 major version of gcc than the host, which is of course why my jobs were failing. Damn. I had to halt the updates (it was compiling Linux at the time so it wouldn't be done for a few hours at least if my test was any indication) and install the proper version of gcc (which is testing in portage. Like, what the hell Gentoo, I thought you were supposed to be ~bleeding-edge~ /s).

Once that compiles I'll be on my merry way, and hopefully in not too long. I'm hongry and tired and my wife left me because I stopped paying attention to her.

Who can relate?

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

Wooted by:

#880 2019-01-27 15:40:11

Different55
Forum Admin

JadElClemens wrote:

I just made a big ol' gooferino, my friends //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

So I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on an old Thinkpad of mine, as one does. I decided to run a quick test before wiping my drive just to see what kind of a night I was in for, so I quickly (read: slowly) grabbed the Linux source from Github and attempted to benchmark the compilation.

Three hours in I decided I wasn't gonna sit around for that. It was sure to be a long night if I didn't speed things up a bit, so I installed and started distcc on every computer I could get my hands on, hoping it would turn a multi-hour process into... still a multi-hour process in most likelihood, but hopefully less so. I ran through the Gentoo install, and got to the very exciting

emerge @world

About three hours later, I notice that although jobs are being dispatched to my other machines (occasionally), they eventually fail and are built by the laptop anyways. Oh no!

After about a half hour of googling and trying different things out, I realized that my slave machines were running a different55 major version of gcc than the host, which is of course why my jobs were failing. Damn. I had to halt the updates (it was compiling Linux at the time so it wouldn't be done for a few hours at least if my test was any indication) and install the proper version of gcc (which is testing in portage. Like, what the hell Gentoo, I thought you were supposed to be ~bleeding-edge~ /s).

Once that compiles I'll be on my merry way, and hopefully in not too long. I'm hongry and tired and my wife left me because I stopped paying attention to her.

Who can relate?

Might just go for a binary kernel when you're installing, once you're up and running you can always compile that stuff in the background later. Also hours seems like a really long time for kernel compilation. This dude at least can compile a kernel in 20 minutes on what he calls "old hardware." Never done vanilla Gentoo but I've installed Funtoo a few times, and by default it sets you up with a Debian-style binary kernel. If you ever just want to try a source-based distro and don't want to worry about installing it (which for Gentoo is about as easy to install as Arch, just with more waiting), you could also check out Bentoo which goes beyond the kernel to set you up with a pre-compiled userland.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#881 2019-01-27 16:53:31, last edited by JadElClemens (2019-01-28 11:09:05)

JadElClemens

Different55 wrote:

[...]
Might just go for a binary kernel when you're installing, once you're up and running you can always compile that stuff in the background later.

Could, but you don't get internet clout unless you compile your own kernel, like a man. I'm not really waiting super intently on the install anyways, this is just a """""fun""""" weekend project.

Different55 wrote:

Also hours seems like a really long time for kernel compilation. This dude at least can compile a kernel in 20 minutes on what he calls "old hardware."

Weird, we have comparable hardware (both Penryn c2ds, his is just clocked a lil faster than mine). The only major difference I can think of is he might have an SSD whereas I'm still running the stock 5400RPM HDD, but I can't imagine that's a huge bottleneck.

It seems like most other sources also mention times in the 10-30 minute range even for older hardware, but a few people say that it takes them hours. I wonder what the deal is with that.
------

The journey continues!

I got through (most of) my gentoo install without a hitch. For some reason 'emerge @world' wasn't compiling linux like it did during the initial run, so I decided I'd need to do that manually. However, I kept running into weird issues. Either it would error out halfway through the make or just fail to even start due to some missing files (turns out I was running 'make' instead of 'make all', whoops.)

After consulting the folks on the Gentoo IRC I found out that, as is mentioned in some distcc resources, compilers on different distros can produce unexpected results even if the major version is the same. Oh, well. Now I have a gentoo chroot set up on my desktop and main laptop with the thinkpad (host) only handling preprocessing. Probably could use pump mode, but I've read it can be buggy and I don't want to halt compilation now.

It's running on 2 hours and I've just finished compiling the drivers, and this is with three computers working in tandem. Still seems a little strange, but I'm not gonna worry about it. To be fair my kernel isn't incredibly optimized (mainly becasue I was afraid I'd break something if I disabled stuff all willy-nilly). Once the system is up and running I'll try trimming the kernel down even more. Or maybe I'll just wait until the next update.

----

Edit the third:

Just as I finished typing up that last edit the compilation finished. Total runtime: 2 hours 1 minute. Probably slightly more, I started the timer a little late. Nice! Can't wait to finally boot my install and proceed to do absolutely nothing with it!

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

Wooted by:

#882 2019-01-29 13:24:23

Creature

This is a false statement.

Wooted by: (2)

#883 2019-01-29 15:39:22

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

i think "Lenin" was the only word guessed right
thats at least something

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#884 2019-01-29 17:05:16

Creature

TaskManager wrote:

i think "Lenin" was the only word guessed right
thats at least something

I used to think "America" was also guessed right.

This is a false statement.

#885 2019-03-08 04:26:36

RileyC6O3

All Star
Smash Mouth
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow
Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold
It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now, wait till you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The water's getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire, how about yours?
That's the way I like it and I never get bored
All that glitters is gold
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show, on get paid
Only shooting stars
Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas?
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change
Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go (go!)
You'll never shine if you don't glow

my name is **** riley

Wooted by:

#886 2019-03-16 04:41:19

soniiiety

peace and nightmore are my children...

how???

time travelers?

#887 2019-03-16 04:48:17

Jorc

Ask them by yourself, you will get an answer from them. Probably.

#888 2019-03-16 11:14:06

peace

what in F... sakes im not your child lol unless were in another time and im stuck in the old 2019 time

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#889 2019-03-16 12:32:17

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Merged Sobriety’s topic with the chat thread.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#890 2019-03-17 22:01:10

peace

At least 20 seconds have to pass between posts. Please wait 1 seconds and try posting again.
OK its good yeah it is...

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#891 2019-03-18 00:13:18

PTU
Formerly Pipec

peace wrote:

At least 20 seconds have to pass between posts. Please wait 1 seconds and try posting again.
OK its good yeah it is...

No.

It should be a whole minute.

M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png M2my8OF.png

UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png UUCFFj2.png

#892 2019-03-20 11:01:46

Shy

Peace's Screenshot

I had to put in my 5 cents, but Anatoly closed the topic.

#893 2019-03-20 12:42:33

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

^ Merged with OT chat because threads with “Anatoly” in the title seem to bring out the worst in people.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#894 2019-03-20 16:27:28

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

Please everyone don’t bring out the Anatoly topic again ITS OVER ALREADY

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#895 2019-03-21 14:56:23, last edited by Shy (2019-03-21 14:59:46)

Shy

Can you please continue the building of your snagsanga quest instead of writing **** on forums
RcgjG0Z.png

Wooted by: (4)

#896 2019-03-23 01:33:44

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Entertain me you freaks.
That’s all you’re good for!

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#897 2019-03-23 07:36:49

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

No I won’t.

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#898 2019-03-25 17:55:09

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

OHAYO Hummerz-kun ( ˘ ³˘)❤

❤ Let me tell you about this really spichy event (≧◡≦) onniiii-chwaaaaan~~~!

After putting on my pantsu (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), I quickly grabbed 4 takoyakis from the fridge! SPICHY TAKONIIII!!! ಥ_ಥ ಥ_ಥ, and went outside from some fresh air (◦'ںˉ◦)!!
I plugged in my music (安田瑞 - 完整中文字幕版) (KIZUGA TSUUU YO SAAAAAA BOKURE TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (≧◡≦)( ˘ ³˘)❤ ) and started making my way to the store for my kawaiiiii waifuuuuuu Hummerz-chwaaan (∩`-´)⊃━━☆゚.*・。゚

(╥﹏╥)They were out of stock even though I made sureee ಠ_ಠ to arrive 1 hour earlier (╥﹏╥), anyways... That's where I met my oniiiiiiiiiii-sama Hummerzz-kyuunnnnn (≧◡≦)웃+유=❤, He was standing there, talking to the cashier ヽ(ヅ)ノ, SOOOO I WENT OUTTA my way and grabbed his grey sweaterrrr, my pweshious HUMMERZ-KYUNN, ONII SAMA IS MINE (╥﹏╥)(╥﹏╥), QUICKLY pulled him out of this, I introduced myself...:

"KONICHIWA Onniiiii-samaa... Umare wa Soniety-kun HAJIMEMACHITE (≧◡≦)( ˘ ³˘)❤" I was very flustered at the sight of this beautiful and handsome onii-sama, my heart never pounded so hard before (❣◡❣) PLEASANT feeling I MUST tell you (╥﹏╥)( ˘ ³˘)❤ HUMMERZ-CHWAAAAN UMARE WA DAISUKIIIII 乂❤‿❤乂!!!!

(≧◡≦) He was a handsome 6'8 inches man, with long brown hairrrrrrrrrr, he was fit and thicc, had beautiful blue eyes straight from an anime (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥, He smelleddddddddddd heavenly <(☉_☉)><(☉_☉)> so much that I want to grabbbbbbbbbb! grabb him and newaaaa let him goooo NEVA!! IKIMASU YOOOOOOO!! ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)

I TOOK him out of this boooooriishe and blend store and invited him to take a coffee (≧◡≦)(≧◡≦).. HE AGREED TO FOLLOW ME!§!!!!! ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ

AYY AYY PUT YO ARMS IN THE AIR ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY ITS HAPPENING ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ WE MAKING OUR DEBUT ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY KAMISAMA SAYETE ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY

THIS thread is to showwwww you all!! PEOPLE OF THE COMMUNITY that if you truly desire something,(≧◡≦) YOU SHOULD GRAB IT! I KNEW I wouldn't be able to invite this handsome young man at my house, BUT I SUCCEEDED, THE WILL OF MY NAKAMA ALLOWED ME TO OVERCOME THE IMPOSSIBLE OMAWE ITE SHAI KAIZOKU!!!! ┏(‘▀_▀’)ノ♬♪

I MUST FLEEEEE TO THE LAND OF happiness (≧◡≦)(∩`-´)⊃━━☆゚.*・。゚AND Good luck on your ENDEAVOR! Love!

From HummerZ-Chwaaaan & Sniper Sonietyyy ( ˘ ³˘)❤( -_・) ︻デ═一' * (/❛o❛)/

#899 2019-03-25 18:15:25

Minimania
Moderation Team

HG wrote:

OHAYO Hummerz-kun ( ˘ ³˘)❤

❤ Let me tell you about this really spichy event (≧◡≦) onniiii-chwaaaaan~~~!

After putting on my pantsu (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), I quickly grabbed 4 takoyakis from the fridge! SPICHY TAKONIIII!!! ಥ_ಥ ಥ_ಥ, and went outside from some fresh air (◦'ںˉ◦)!!
I plugged in my music (安田瑞 - 完整中文字幕版) (KIZUGA TSUUU YO SAAAAAA BOKURE TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (≧◡≦)( ˘ ³˘)❤ ) and started making my way to the store for my kawaiiiii waifuuuuuu Hummerz-chwaaan (∩`-´)⊃━━☆゚.*・。゚

(╥﹏╥)They were out of stock even though I made sureee ಠ_ಠ to arrive 1 hour earlier (╥﹏╥), anyways... That's where I met my oniiiiiiiiiii-sama Hummerzz-kyuunnnnn (≧◡≦)웃+유=❤, He was standing there, talking to the cashier ヽ(ヅ)ノ, SOOOO I WENT OUTTA my way and grabbed his grey sweaterrrr, my pweshious HUMMERZ-KYUNN, ONII SAMA IS MINE (╥﹏╥)(╥﹏╥), QUICKLY pulled him out of this, I introduced myself...:

"KONICHIWA Onniiiii-samaa... Umare wa Soniety-kun HAJIMEMACHITE (≧◡≦)( ˘ ³˘)❤" I was very flustered at the sight of this beautiful and handsome onii-sama, my heart never pounded so hard before (❣◡❣) PLEASANT feeling I MUST tell you (╥﹏╥)( ˘ ³˘)❤ HUMMERZ-CHWAAAAN UMARE WA DAISUKIIIII 乂❤‿❤乂!!!!

(≧◡≦) He was a handsome 6'8 inches man, with long brown hairrrrrrrrrr, he was fit and thicc, had beautiful blue eyes straight from an anime (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥, He smelleddddddddddd heavenly <(☉_☉)><(☉_☉)> so much that I want to grabbbbbbbbbb! grabb him and newaaaa let him goooo NEVA!! IKIMASU YOOOOOOO!! ( ͡ʘ ͜ʖ ͡ʘ)

I TOOK him out of this boooooriishe and blend store and invited him to take a coffee (≧◡≦)(≧◡≦).. HE AGREED TO FOLLOW ME!§!!!!! ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ

AYY AYY PUT YO ARMS IN THE AIR ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY ITS HAPPENING ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ WE MAKING OUR DEBUT ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY KAMISAMA SAYETE ƪ(˘⌣˘)┐ ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ ┌(˘⌣˘)ʃ AY AY

THIS thread is to showwwww you all!! PEOPLE OF THE COMMUNITY that if you truly desire something,(≧◡≦) YOU SHOULD GRAB IT! I KNEW I wouldn't be able to invite this handsome young man at my house, BUT I SUCCEEDED, THE WILL OF MY NAKAMA ALLOWED ME TO OVERCOME THE IMPOSSIBLE OMAWE ITE SHAI KAIZOKU!!!! ┏(‘▀_▀’)ノ♬♪

I MUST FLEEEEE TO THE LAND OF happiness (≧◡≦)(∩`-´)⊃━━☆゚.*・。゚AND Good luck on your ENDEAVOR! Love!

From HummerZ-Chwaaaan & Sniper Sonietyyy ( ˘ ³˘)❤( -_・) ︻デ═一' * (/❛o❛)/

Why would Ipwner hack into HG's account?

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#900 2019-03-29 14:53:44

Awesomenessgood

buy my music on bandcamp thanks

lunchbox

N1KF1703547747798269

Board footer