Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-06 21:59:57, last edited by epic1epic1 (2019-02-06 22:41:10)

epic1epic1

Most painless way to make a bot

Hi everyone,
I'm getting a bit of analysis paralysis trying to find how I would start making a bot. What is the easiest way you suggest?
I'm pretty well versed in Python but I tried the PyPlayerIO client and it doesn't seem to be working.

Error when running everybody_edits.py test project

Python would be my language of choice when making this, but I'm fine with using something else.
However, I'm not sure my computer could take downloading a 10GB program like Visual Studio community for C#. I'm also skeptical about JS, not sure how I would get that running, but maybe it's not that hard.
Any recommendations?
EDIT: I also mean to ask, what is your bot programming setup?

#2 2019-02-06 23:08:53

den3107

Re: Most painless way to make a bot

You can use Visual Studio Code. Both for C# as for Javascript. Having said that Visual Studio is still recommended imo.
Not sure how to start off with javascript, since I'm personaly more familiair with stuff like Node, which doesn't seem the intended method (since there's no official updated NPM package).

Eitherway, when you download the player.io SDK I think all languages provide you with a (simple) example. DotNet's example is super basic, with JS having an example chat and "FridgeMagnets" application you can take a loot at to get a hang of the syntax.

I'm going to assume you already know where to see EE's API.

If you can program fairly well, it's usually not that hard to switch language, mostly a hassle to switch syntax and figure out what the exact functions are for specific stuff.

Wooted by:

#3 2019-02-07 00:07:13

epic1epic1

Is EverybodyEditsProtocoll on GitHub the API or the protocol?
I feel like I'm missing something I need to download. If I am to make a bot, regardless of language or IDE, is there anything that is a must-download? i.e. SDKs?

#4 2019-02-07 00:35:25

LukeM
Website

EE currently uses something called PlayerIO (which handles all the APIs we use), you can find the download here: https://playerio.com/download/, and the documentation here: https://playerio.com/documentation/

This download includes a version of the library for each of the languages PlayerIO supports, you'll need to include this in any project you make

On top of that, we also define our own 'protocol' (PlayerIO communications work by sending a message type name and a list of arguments, the protocol includes the message and argument types we use), you can find a community managed documentation of it here: https://github.com/capasha/EverybodyEditsProtocoll

C# (full/core) and JS are probably the best ways to make bots (those are the ones officially supported by PlayerIO). I'd probably say that C# is probably a better language, but JS allows you to really easily host things on the web, so if you wanted to publish your bot JS is probably best, otherwise C#.

(as den3107 says, the examples are probably the best way to get used to the syntax, once you've picked a language you want to use I could probably send you some code from a previous bot I've made as an example of how to actually get connected to EE if you want)

#5 2019-02-07 10:09:58

epic1epic1

Thanks for the clarification, think I get it now //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
I got PlayerIO downloaded and C# seems like the way to go so I'll use that.
How would I set up my computer to use C#? I have a dotnet SDK ready to go to install if that needs installing, as well VSCommunity (though if there are other options that don't require too much CLI I'd rather go with those, I have VSCode currently)
(That code would be really great, thanks)

#6 2019-02-07 10:22:36

den3107

If you install VSCommunity, you're pretty much set up and ready to go. Create a project, write code, click on run and it'll run (unless errors, duh). The installer will take care of everything for you, given you've installed the correct things (likely you have).
VSCommunity also shouldn't require any CLI usage (at least I've never used it, unless I made a CLI program).

VSCode is a bit different, but haven't used that one for C# TOO much.
I could explain it for you, but I feel like this page will do it much better, so here you go:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/csharp

If you wish to make a GUI for your bot, again, I'd recommend VSCommunity since VSCode does not have designer tools for that (so you'd have to write your GUI in code).
In VSCommunity you can make a Winforms or UWF/WPF project. Here Winforms is the easiest to use, but looks terrible (perfectly fine for personal/limited use though).
I'd suggest just looking up a quick tutorial on the internet as for how to use any of these.

#7 2019-02-07 16:13:31

epic1epic1

So download VSCommunity and everything should work. Got it, that seems like the best option then.
Thanks a ton for the fast responses, it's always confusing when you first start doing something new.
Welp, off to learn C# and Winforms! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#8 2019-02-07 17:04:01

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Welcome!

Make sure to use the forum search feature to find similar "how to make a bot" threads. Some of them have useful info.

For learning C# and about WinForms, I'll make the same suggestion I always do.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2019-06-05 11:07:39

Benjamin90

following it out!

Benjamin901559729259751675

Board footer