Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-05 21:23:37

kubapolish
Banned
Website

So, uh, how to make a bot?

this tutorial doesnt help
and on what application i should write it? vb.net?? i dont know anything about programming bots >.<

pls help me

#2 2016-04-05 21:56:50

Jabatheblob1

Re: So, uh, how to make a bot?

If you don't have any coding experience i would recommend learning the basics first. The application is c# 2010(at least in my tutorials, that's the year i used). Thenewboston's youtube channel has over 200 videos on c# basics. You of course don't need all of those, just learning the basics and structure of coding should help.

If you would like me to make a bot for you, go here.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2016-04-05 22:44:32

SmittyW

I've always like this post:

Tako wrote:

You need a piece of software called an IDE. Integrated Development Environment. That's what you write and compile code in. Each IDE supports a variety of languages so make sure it supports the one you want to use. I use Visual Studio but it's not the best. I'm just used to it because it's what we're required to use in my classes.

That's where you should start. The only other thing you need is the PlayerIOClient library and knowledge of how to use it/the language.

I would recommend getting someone relatively intelligent in bot development to give you code snippets and build off of those. That's the best way to overcome the learning curve in my opinion. Just remember to not take advantage of the code snippets. Try to understand what you're pasting, or else you won't get very far.

I'm pretty sure my guide is floating around somewhere. It gives you a decently straightforward guide in C#.

source

Wooted by:

#4 2016-04-05 23:11:59

den3107

As most say: Start with some C# knowledge, usually you write this in Visual Studio, do mind that this IDE (see above post) is rather heavy, so if you have a slow pc it might take 15 minutes just to start up.

After that you could goto Jaba's tutorials or maybe search some in the internet.

Wooted by:

#5 2016-04-06 14:39:22, last edited by Tomahawk (2016-04-06 19:01:18)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Here's an awesome tutorial I first began learning C# from, and the parts I've recommended many people who want to get into bots to do:

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/csharp/csharp.html

• Getting Started with C# - All; don't start making console bots.

• Variables - All, but the projects aren't necessary to do.

• Conditional Logic - All.

• Loops - All, not the project.

• Menus - Part 12. and whatever else is interesting.

• Debugging - Read all.

• Methods - All.

• Understanding Arrays - All.

• String Manipulation - Read. String splitting is used in chat commands.

• Events - Up to and including Part 5.

• Classes and Objects - All.

• Manipulating Files - I prefer this over streamreader for file reading, and the equivalent for writing.

• Multiple Forms - If you want to.

Useful websites:
-Dot Net Perls: explains pretty much any inbuilt method, object or programming construct.
-Stack Overflow (SO): has an answer to any C# question you'll ever have.

If you're serious about this, you'll learn the basics of C# before starting with bots. Having learned C#, you can then find tutorials on here, by users, or find someone to teach you bot coding. FTR, I'm already teaching a guy and won't be that special someone.

- Don't be one of those many nubs who start botting without knowing much C#, and then ask lots of nubby questions on here and need to be spoonfed code to get anywhere.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (3)

#6 2016-04-06 15:08:58

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Tomahawk wrote:

Don't be one of those many nubs who start botting without knowing much C#, and then ask lots of nubby questions on here and need to be spoonfed code to get anywhere.

This. It is incredibly painful to see those sort of people. It does take time, skill and patience to learn how to program, but if you do, you'll be much better off in your personal programming pursuits. Just knowing a basic set of techniques and algorithms will make you many times more efficient than you otherwise would be.

Wooted by:

#7 2016-04-06 16:51:53, last edited by Zumza (2016-04-06 16:52:07)

Zumza

Can somebody actually learn how to do programming starting with EE Bots directly? I mean a person that doesn't even know whats an algorithm?
Even so I doubt that person will truly understand what is doing.

I actually learned C# by creating EE Bots but I already knew C

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#8 2016-04-06 22:07:59, last edited by den3107 (2016-04-06 22:09:28)

den3107

Zumza wrote:

Can somebody actually learn how to do programming starting with EE Bots directly? I mean a person that doesn't even know whats an algorithm?
Even so I doubt that person will truly understand what is doing.

I actually learned C# by creating EE Bots but I already knew C

You already knowing C (or any language for that matter) is what makes you different from the rest.
The people won't know what an event handler is and how to bind one, they won't know how to work with threads (which you most likely will need to), they won't know, indeed, what an algorithm is, and all that makes them try to code and utterly fail.

The result?
• They come to the forums because they haven't even learned how to properly google a problem (which would give them a solution in 5 minutes instead of 5 hours and annoyed programmers).
• They only use code that is fed to them, using it literally and not even checking if it fits the exact context and then coming complaining again because the literal code doesn't work.

"But learning how to code can be quite hard!"
And so it should be.
If they don't want to do trouble to learn, they'll never make something worth mentioning, full of bugs and generally incomplete.

"So basically f*** them?"
Nope. Just try and at least get a bit of a basis in programming and mostly learn how to google your problems. Any language basis gives you a huge advantage as all languages are somewhat the same, the biggest difference is syntax.

I have been thinking about making a C# tutorial learning them through making a bot (giving them a template and showing how to fill up little snippets, slowly growing into learning them how to make the entire code themselves).
Sadly I'm a tad busy with school and I generally don't know where to start and at what speed to go, for that I'd need other people to help me guide a bit before I would make those videos.

Long story short: Learn a programming language you think is fun or interesting, learn how to google your problems, THEN learn C# (or already learn it at the first two steps) and THEN you can get to jabatheblob's tutorials.

Edit: Yet another way too long post which everybody's going to ignore I guess (I would too).

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2016-04-07 11:50:56

Zumza

reference

I agree if they do actually learn something we can be proud to be teachers. But if they don't, they will kill their source of food and look for the next one(no offence its just a real life example).
There are people who finish college and don't know to make a simple FizzBuzz program.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

Wooted by:

#10 2016-04-07 13:05:12

capasha

Maybe something like this would help you, http://wiki.everybodyedits.com/Guide:Bot_Programming

Wooted by:

#11 2016-04-07 19:11:28

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Zumza wrote:

There are people who finish college and don't know to make a simple FizzBuzz program.

A number of applicants to my company have failed the fizzbuzz test... Even with college degrees in compsci... :/

Wooted by:

#12 2016-04-07 20:57:36

Different55
Forum Admin

Kaslai wrote:
Zumza wrote:

A number of applicants to my company have failed the fizzbuzz test... Even with college degrees in compsci... :/

I blame stackoverflow.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#13 2016-04-07 22:34:42

den3107

I should note that (at least in the Netherlands), being a professor and all that actually doesn't mean that much... Because in college you do pretty much only practical work, while in University you mostly learn and don't as much actually program... So of course the Uni people are invited, but simply haven't programmed enough.

#14 2016-04-08 00:41:02

Kaslai
Official Caroler

And to clarify, when 'Murricans talk about "college", they're talking about what most of the world refers to as "University". We also call them University, but to us, the terms are interchangeable. When we say "Community College," we refer to what many other cultures refer to as "College." To confuse the matters further, we refer to the individual subsets of a University as colleges, e.g. you go to the University of Washington, but you're in the University of Washington's College of Computer Science. Hooray for confusing terminology!

#15 2016-04-08 16:14:11

den3107

We basically use 3 terms after high-school: MBO, HBO and WO
WO = university, HBO = college (sorta), MBO = Lowest (easiest, whatever) that you could do after high school

#16 2016-04-09 17:19:19

kubapolish
Banned
Website

halp
im getting "The name 'ClientReference' does not exist in the current context" error

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            PlayerIO.QuickConnect.SimpleConnect("everybody-edits-su9rn58o40itdbnw69plyw", textBox1.Text, textBox2.Text, null);
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(100);
            ClientReference.Multiplayer.CreateJoinRoom(textBox3.Text, "Everybodyedits209", true, null, null);
        }

#17 2016-04-09 20:37:39, last edited by Tomahawk (2016-04-09 20:39:03)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Kubapolish wrote:

halp
im getting "The name 'ClientReference' does not exist in the current context" error

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            PlayerIO.QuickConnect.SimpleConnect("everybody-edits-su9rn58o40itdbnw69plyw", textBox1.Text, textBox2.Text, null);
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(100);
            ClientReference.Multiplayer.CreateJoinRoom(textBox3.Text, "Everybodyedits209", true, null, null);
        }

SimpleConnect() returns a Client instance when a connection is established with the specified game. You have to assign this returned Client to a value. For instance:

Client c = PlayerIO.QuickConnect.SimpleConnect("everybody-edits-su9rn58o40itdbnw69plyw", textBox1.Text, textBox2.Text, null);

Similarly, CreateJoinRoom() returns a connection object used to do pretty much anything, so you need to assign the return value:

//If "con" is a public variable of type 'Connection':
con = c.Multiplayer.CreateJoinRoom(textBox3.Text, "Everybodyedits209", true, null, null);

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:
Tomahawk1460230659594614

Board footer