Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-01 23:19:26

peace

time being OFF what tim do i have to belive when beating?

quite big

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#2 2019-01-02 00:12:50, last edited by LukeM (2019-01-02 00:14:21)

LukeM
Website

Re: time being OFF what tim do i have to belive when beating?

If you have a large enough lag spike the server will report a different time to what the client says, sadly theres nothing we can do to prevent this as someone playing legit but with connection problems is indistinguishable from someone trying to cheat. Luckily it happens very rarely, your times suggest it took more than half a second longer than usual to contact the server, which is almost unheard of (usually it fluctuates by a couple hundredths of a second at most).

#3 2019-01-02 01:29:54

KirbyKareem

LukeM wrote:

If you have a large enough lag spike the server will report a different time to what the client says, sadly theres nothing we can do to prevent this as someone playing legit but with connection problems is indistinguishable from someone trying to cheat. Luckily it happens very rarely, your times suggest it took more than half a second longer than usual to contact the server, which is almost unheard of (usually it fluctuates by a couple hundredths of a second at most).

Then whihc do we believe if they're different, the green text or the big ones

VOKXwvt.png

#4 2019-01-02 10:42:54

LukeM
Website

If you know you haven't cheated then the one in the bottom right will be correct, just not trusted by the server

#5 2019-01-02 11:14:55

peace

so the clien time thata is on bottom right (the oen that is runnign when doign th elvel) is the correct one?

peace.png

#6 2019-01-02 12:49:23

LukeM
Website

The bottom right one will be correct, yes, but the popup one is the time that was recorded (as theres no way for the server to know that you were playing legit but just had connection problems)

#7 2019-01-02 13:23:12

Minimania
Moderation Team

LukeM wrote:

your times suggest it took more than half a second longer than usual to contact the server, which is almost unheard of

wdym "unheard of"

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#8 2019-01-02 13:35:55

LukeM
Website

Crybaby wrote:
LukeM wrote:

your times suggest it took more than half a second longer than usual to contact the server, which is almost unheard of

wdym "unheard of"

"unheard of" means never happens, "almost unheard of" means almost never happens

Usually messages over the internet take a fairly consistant amount of time to get to where they're going, for peace's screenshot to happen, the "completed level" message would have to take more than 500 ms longer than the rest of the messages, when usually (at least for me) the time they take (half the RTT in /info) fluctuates between 50 and 80 ms, almost never going outside that range

#9 2019-01-02 13:55:31

Anatoly

LukeM wrote:

If you lag thousand times by a millisecond than you’re lagging in total by one second

#10 2019-01-02 14:14:32, last edited by LukeM (2019-01-02 14:15:00)

LukeM
Website

Anatoly wrote:
LukeM wrote:

If you lag thousand times by a millisecond than you’re lagging in total by one second

That would be the case if it was tied to framerate, but its not.

Its based on both the server time and your computer time, so it makes no difference what happens before that, only the delay in the final message matters (between when its sent by your client and when its received by the server).

#11 2019-01-02 14:14:39

Minimania
Moderation Team

LukeM wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
LukeM wrote:

wdym "unheard of"

"unheard of" means never happens, "almost unheard of" means almost never happens

Usually messages over the internet take a fairly consistant amount of time to get to where they're going, for peace's screenshot to happen, the "completed level" message would have to take more than 500 ms longer than the rest of the messages, when usually (at least for me) the time they take (half the RTT in /info) fluctuates between 50 and 80 ms, almost never going outside that range

In that case, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know a single person who hasn't experienced the craptastic lag EE has.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#12 2019-01-02 14:17:07, last edited by LukeM (2019-01-02 14:17:39)

LukeM
Website

Crybaby wrote:
LukeM

In that case, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know a single person who hasn't experienced the craptastic lag EE has.

(see above)

In game lag makes no difference to the timer, only the time between the client sending and the server receiving the message matter (which has nothing to do with EE, only your internet connection)

#13 2019-01-02 15:55:21

Anatoly

If a is the server time, and b the client time, do = ( a +b ) / 2 and you get the fair time.

#14 2019-01-02 16:15:18, last edited by LukeM (2019-01-02 16:18:05)

LukeM
Website

Anatoly wrote:

If a is the server time, and b the client time, do = ( a +b ) / 2 and you get the fair time.

That makes things worse though...

The goal is to prevent people from getting lower times by cheating, but still have a tick-accurate timer to prevent things like latency and lag from making runs faster / slower. The current system completely prevents cheating by submitting an incorrect time (by checking it against the server measured time), but is still tick-accurate apart from the very rare situation where you have a lag spike just as you hit the trophy. Just averaging them would do neither of these things, you could halve your times by submitting time 0, and it would never be tick accurate as theres still uncertainty in the server time //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I believe what we're doing currently is the best we can do, theres no way of preventing the "lag spike increases time" thing without making it incredibly easy to cheat.

#15 2019-01-02 18:17:20

peace

doesnt time always be being OFF by a few miliseconds unoticebale beauce of sever in/ouput

peace.png

#16 2019-01-02 19:05:10

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

doesnt time always be being OFF by a few miliseconds unoticebale beauce of sever in/ouput

It wouldn't be noticable after a single run, but if you kept repeating a run you would get slightly different times even if you took the exact same amount of time to complete the world. This would mean that a big part of beating a target time would just be luck, you could be consistantly missing the goal by a second, but if you retried enough times you'd eventually beat it by chance //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Anyway, the current system is pretty good, probably less than 1% of runs have incorrect times, everything else is perfectly accurate (to the tick), I don't think we're going to change it.

LukeM1546452310737005

Board footer