Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-21 15:37:45

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

How to survive a heat wave?

This might be a surprise to some people, but i was born and raised in the kingdom of Norway, ergo i am rather confident in my survival when it comes to freezing temperatures.
However i find myself in a rather hot and humid place at the moment due to reasons, (It’s Japan) which is experiencing record temperatures. I notice that i sweat amounts i once thought impossible, as well as constantly remaining on the brink of heatstroke. Does anyone from perhaps more southern hot-ish countries have any tips on how to survive when air-conditioners are unavailable and liters of water are not that easily obtainable?

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#2 2018-07-21 16:41:28

Onjit
Website

Re: How to survive a heat wave?

I've been through 45+C heatwave for a little over a week (and many 40+ days) so i've got some experience unfortunately. Mostly in Melbourne it's usually a dry heat, which has it's own problems (imo the humidity is the real killer) so take this with a grain of salt

this advice depends on whether you want to hide away in your room during the heatwave or if you want to risk it and go outside

keeping your room liveable/hiding inside:
- make sure all of the windows are closed/curtains are drawn during the day
- if AC isn't available, have fans running 24/7 to keep the air circulating
- keep hydrated: water is obviously #1, but ice tea etc could work (i'd avoid dairy though)
- in the evening, check to see if there is (hopefully) a cool breeze, and if so, open the windows
- lie down on a cool smooth surface (tiles, linoleum, concrete - not carpet etc) and dream of fjords

if you want to go outside:
- be prepared, bring sunscreen and extra fluids
- try to keep in the shade
- go in the early morning/evening - avoid the hottest part of the day if you can (12-4 usually)
- wear a hat and sunglasses
- avoid crowds if you can

most of this is pretty basic, and like i said before, mostly combats the dry heat - i have no idea what to do about the humidity

tl;dr good luck and try not to die

:.|:;

#3 2018-07-21 16:42:30, last edited by hummerz5 (2018-07-22 01:19:25)

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Get something and fan yourself. Or sit in under some shade. Standing in the sun at the tempeture of 40*C can really exhaust you.
--

Heat+Humidity is tropical weather. You'll just have to get used to the humidity. Really dry days at temp. of 40 C can evaporate the water inside your body and you could exhaust too much that you wont be able to stand. 40 C with humidity is better than 40 C without humidity.

don't double post -hz5

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#4 2018-07-21 16:48:41, last edited by s1mple (2018-07-22 07:55:29)

s1mple

Okay, um...

• Wear light-colored clothing, wear cotton.

• Seek shade, bring an umbrella.

• Fan yourself.

• Whenever possible, visit public places with air conditioning.

• Turn the lights off and any appliances that can be stopped, unless it's an electric fan.

• Soak your feet in water, wear wet towels around your shoulders or over your head... stuff like that.

I'd like to ask why water and air conditioning aren't easily accessible/obtainable, though. Also, I'm not the best source, since I don't go out that much.

?type=energy&name=o0ps ?type=online&name=o0ps ?type=lastlogin&name=o0ps ?type=registered&name=o0ps
I'm o0ps in-game... I don't use my alts that much anymore.
And yes, I make a lot of mistakes. Sorry about that.

#5 2018-07-21 17:00:24

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

I think 30 C is perfect tempeture to wear jacket+shirt. I live on the edge of the tropical area and it doen't commonly get to 40 C. Winter will make ^^ shiver thoigh, because it can have a tempeture of 15 C, which is when I wear heavier clothes. If Norwegian wants to als survive humidity, southeast asia is probably one of then best choices since its not so far away from Japan.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
#Joe Griffin
Signature

#6 2018-07-21 17:12:27, last edited by ZeldaXD (2018-07-21 17:17:13)

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Onjit wrote:

I've been through 45+C heatwave for a little over a week (and many 40+ days) so i've got some experience unfortunately. Mostly in Melbourne it's usually a dry heat, which has it's own problems (imo the humidity is the real killer) so take this with a grain of salt

this advice depends on whether you want to hide away in your room during the heatwave or if you want to risk it and go outside

keeping your room liveable/hiding inside:
- make sure all of the windows are closed/curtains are drawn during the day
- if AC isn't available, have fans running 24/7 to keep the air circulating
- keep hydrated: water is obviously #1, but ice tea etc could work (i'd avoid dairy though)
- in the evening, check to see if there is (hopefully) a cool breeze, and if so, open the windows
- lie down on a cool smooth surface (tiles, linoleum, concrete - not carpet etc) and dream of fjords

if you want to go outside:
- be prepared, bring sunscreen and extra fluids
- try to keep in the shade
- go in the early morning/evening - avoid the hottest part of the day if you can (12-4 usually)
- wear a hat and sunglasses
- avoid crowds if you can

most of this is pretty basic, and like i said before, mostly combats the dry heat - i have no idea what to do about the humidity

tl;dr good luck and try not to die

tiempo-sevilla-calor-kdNB--620x349@abc.jpg
As a Sevillian I confirm this.
Don't lie down on concrete though.
Whether you go out or stay home, wear light clothes (shorts, sleeveless shirts... avoid wool) and don't wear clothes with dark colours.
You should search for (preferably private) pools nearby, and also buy/make a hand fan:

Hidden text

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2018-07-21 17:21:16

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Totally agree. In southeast Asia hand fans are really common. I dont understand this though, why would Norwegian ask this in Japan? I thought jpan was like 0 C in winter and 30 C in Summer. Huh, maybe I was wrong.

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#8 2018-07-21 18:16:41

Anatoly

don't stop time

#9 2018-07-21 19:25:34

Raphe9000

I'm almost sure all if this has been mentioned by now, but I guess I'll mention what I know just in case anything hasn't or to at least reaffirm it if it has:

Do your best to stay out of the sun. It's best to stay indoors or in the shade. The best time to go out is when it is overcast or raining. Of course, going out at night helps a lot. That being said, I kinda have a description for all times to go out:
11 p.m. to 5 a.m. - Coolest part of the day. Most comfortable yet least practical time to go out.
5-8 a.m. - The sun still hasn't had time to scorch the earth yet, so it is still really comfortable outside.
8 a.m. to 12 p.m. - Everything is starting to heat up a good amount, but it is still an okay time to be outside.
12 to 5 p.m. - It is deathly hot outside, so it is best to just avoid going out in the sun.
5 to 8 p.m. - It is starting to cool down, but the sun still being out along with the fact it's been out for the whole day still makes it hot outside.
8-11 p.m. - It is finally cool again, but you will most likely feel remaining heat as, though the sun has set, its heat has not yet completely faded.

I have sensory issues, so I know what it is like to feel like you're going to burn to death. I live in a subtropical climate, so even the winters can be pretty warm. It is best to drink A LOT. Plain water is of course the best thing to drink, but it is in no way a requirement to stay hydrated. Without an AC, you will learn fans and breezes are your best friend. If you find yourself low on stuff to drink, don't necessarily save your last few drops. If you need to drink something, your body is saying it needs water. If you try to save your water for when you desperately need it, there's a good chance you will cause and fail to recognize said desperation. It's like living on a budget, where you make sure you have everything you need but don't waste money on stuff you want. It's the balance here. Don't drink a bottle when you need a sip, but also don't drink a sip when you need a bottle.

Wooted by:

#10 2018-07-21 22:48:58

Minimania
Moderation Team

If you have some bottles of water, it's a very good way to get rid of body heat by pouring some of it over yourself and letting the breeze swipe some of that heat away.

It's a good idea to go to the pool (making sure that it's sanitary before you do of course) as an easy way of getting cool, or to the beach and get in the water.

Cold showers can do it, or getting your drinks ordered with ice.

Finally, if this hasn't been said before, start wearing short sleeved shirts and short slacks. Make sure to remember sunscreen so you don't get a really bad sunburn.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#11 2018-07-22 01:24:21

hummerz5

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

Get something and fan yourself.

I see two folks suggest this. Isn't that more work?

minimania wrote:

getting your drinks ordered with ice.

hehe

minimania wrote:

pouring some of it over yourself

IIRC, the wrists and neck are some good spots for "feeling" cooler. Whether or not it's a good idea to try and trick yourself into feeling cooler than you are is not my area of expertise.

I wonder at the utility of sunscreen since the assumption is probably that folks avoid being out and doing things when it's hot. That said, please don't be out doing things when it's hot. Probably obvious, but that makes the heat.

#12 2018-07-22 01:37:23

Minimania
Moderation Team

hummerz5 wrote:
ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

minimania wrote:

getting your drinks ordered with ice.

hehe

minimania wrote:

pouring some of it over yourself

IIRC, the wrists and neck are some good spots for "feeling" cooler. Whether or not it's a good idea to try and trick yourself into feeling cooler than you are is not my area of expertise.

I wonder at the utility of sunscreen since the assumption is probably that folks avoid being out and doing things when it's hot. That said, please don't be out doing things when it's hot. Probably obvious, but that makes the heat.

It's not tricking yourself into feeling cooler. Your neck is a place where a very active, close to the heart artery pumps blood, and naturally where a lot of the heat can escape.

21cZxBv.png

Wooted by:

#13 2018-07-22 01:46:09

hummerz5

minimania wrote:

It's not tricking yourself into feeling cooler. Your neck is a place where a very active, close to the heart artery pumps blood, and naturally where a lot of the heat can escape.

I did not know that. Figured it was sensitivity, not actual ... conductivity? Thanks for the explanation. more here

#14 2018-07-22 03:25:47

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Question: Is it even hot in Japan?

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#15 2018-07-22 03:45:44

Joeyc

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

YES, very hot

#16 2018-07-22 04:28:07

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Joeyc wrote:
ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

YES, very hot

How hot?

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#17 2018-07-22 05:08:48

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:
Joeyc wrote:
ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

YES, very hot

How hot?

My weather app says: 36° and "feels like 47°", including the humidity it always feels so much worse than what it says. It’s like stepping into an sauna when opening the door. Also thanks for the tips so far, i’m stuck between the dilemma of going sightseeing or trying to stay cool inside so it’s quite sad.
The reason i said no airconditioning is because i’m staying in an capsule hotel without it.

Wooted by: (3)

#18 2018-07-22 05:49:21

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

I really dont think 36 C is that hot. You just hav to get used to it overtime..

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#19 2018-07-22 07:06:32

Minimania
Moderation Team

Where I live it says 47° and feels 58°

21cZxBv.png

#20 2018-07-22 07:55:08

s1mple

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

Same here, I guess. But we are giving tips to someone who isn't used to it--maybe they're staying temporarily?--so we're giving them some tips to, ah, deal with it. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool
Some faint at 25°C, others shiver below 20°C, others think that -9°C isn't cold enough... yeah, it's all a matter of getting used to it. What was my point, anyway? I'm so lost right now.

hummerz5 wrote:
ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

Well... yes, but I suppose that it's better to direct air towards oneself/ventilate or fan yourself *shakes head at word choices* than doing nothing at all. At least fanning gives you a... how do I say this... personalized breeze.

?type=energy&name=o0ps ?type=online&name=o0ps ?type=lastlogin&name=o0ps ?type=registered&name=o0ps

#21 2018-07-22 08:14:55

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

http://www.asahi.com/sp/ajw/articles/AJ … 20023.html

Wooted by:

#22 2018-07-22 11:32:46

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

whatever... dont kill yourself and youll be alive. But I really think that 36 C isnt actually that hot. Maybe its only for people who are borned in some tropical zone. Tip to survive:  Do not use up your energy and drink water //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile I need s1mple to reply

#Joe Griffin
Signature

#23 2018-07-22 11:55:02

s1mple

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:

whatever... dont kill yourself and youll be alive. But I really think that 36 C isnt actually that hot. Maybe its only for people who are borned in some tropical zone. Tip to survive:  Do not use up your energy and drink water //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile I need s1mple to reply

Um, hello again. Why would you like me to reply?

Personally, 36°C isn't too bad for me, but again I say that it all comes down to what people are used to. And yeah, part that needs to be emphasized: "do not use up your energy and drink water" (except if you'd like to fan yourself... yeah).

tangent?

Oh and stay safe. You and all the people affected by those high pressure areas. Just looked up a capsule hotel and I finally get it.

#24 2018-07-22 14:53:31

Freckleface

Luckily I live in canada where the temperature ranges from -40C to 40C so I can help. Along with the other tips mentioned, if possible, buy many instant cool packs. If you start feeling very overheated pop one and cool yourself down. Another useful thing to have is a very well insulated water bottle. I have a double layered bottle which stays ice cold even when left in the sun for many hours. I see people suggesting to wear short tshirts but sometimes a very thin light longsleeved shirt protects you better.

Other than that, just stay in the shade (an umbrella would be a good investment) and try to find breezy areas.

F

#25 2018-07-22 16:55:17

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

I survived 45 C outside when its really sunny out for one hour without collapsing

#Joe Griffin
Signature

Wehrmacht1532436218715786

Board footer