Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-04-03 03:34:44

Enurp
Formerly ThuggishPrune

Re: Easter and Halloween Contest

I want the Borbinzi smiley and the Pumpklin smiley. I didn't earn them but I'm an entitled little boy that wants them!!!!!

Wooted by:

#52 2018-04-03 07:53:28

TundrumMax
Formerly Memomemo

Tomahawk wrote:

Imagine taking part in a competition where everyone gets the same prize in the end, regardless of whether they won.

that's not what we are saying.
YES: We have to work hard and win.
NO: Losers also get the smileys.
We are saying that the contests need to be done at least one more time
We are NOT saying that the smileys should be allowed for everyone
We are saying that everyone RIGHT NOW should have the opportunity to get that amazing smiley that is part of the contest
You are all trying to turn US into the selfish people, thinking that WE THINK "Oh wow that guy has an awesome smiley why don't I have that smiley I want that smiley gimme gimme"
But we are actually thinking "Oh wow that guy has an awesome smiley... why does no one else have it? Don't contests give them out?"
In conclusion, saying that we are selfish for wanting that smiley to be available to everyone makes no sense, as you have to think about the context.
We want the smiley to be available to everyone WHO WORKS FOR IT.

Goodbye.

I can speak by breathing in but it sounds like a dying horse

TundrumMax.png

Signature by HG

#53 2018-04-03 08:04:52

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

There's no point in these smileys being released for everyone. Just because you want a smiley that you can't have is not reason enough to have newer players get them. Just have new contest smileys for future contests, and if you win, you'll get new unique smileys too. Wow

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#54 2018-04-03 08:26:00

cpcrabs

Why can't we just make new competitions that have new smileys?

17 i think

Wooted by: (2)

#55 2018-04-03 08:37:24

Onjit
Website

I think epicstonemason was right - all of these options and variety causes too much drama

we should remove all smileys and replace them with the default //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

and also remove all blocks except the basic grey block while we're at it

:.|:;

Wooted by: (3)

#56 2018-04-03 13:26:45

John

cpcrabs wrote:

This seems like a good idea, but eventually we'll be up to like 10 santas and 10 pumkins... Honestly badges should be contest winners (imo)

PW?scale=2

#57 2018-04-03 13:44:37

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Tbh though, it is true that this whole argument is a pointless theoretical. The most likely case scenario is that everyone starts afresh after the reboot; that includes losing contest prizes.

And even if a reboot doesn't happen, this argument is still about a theoretical, because that would mean the game is basically dead.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#58 2018-04-03 13:50:21

LukeM
Website

John wrote:
cpcrabs wrote:

This seems like a good idea, but eventually we'll be up to like 10 santas and 10 pumkins... Honestly badges should be contest winners (imo)

I guess the problem comes from the fact that they originally said that those rewards were exclusive, so if they give them away again then the staff are breaking their promise.

A possible solution would be to make one set of new smileys, saying from the start that they won't be exclusive to one contest, then nobody can complain when they are reused, and those that were promised they would have a smiley nobody but them has would still have that.

Wooted by: (4)

#59 2018-04-03 13:53:18

John

LukeM wrote:

A possible solution would be to make one set of new smileys, saying from the start that they won't be exclusive to one contest, then nobody can complain when they are reused, and those that were promised they would have a smiley nobody but them has would still have that.

This is a good idea, but what if someone "wins" twice? What do you think about badges as rewards instead of smilies?

PW?scale=2

Wooted by: (2)

#60 2018-04-03 13:57:22, last edited by LukeM (2018-04-03 14:09:33)

LukeM
Website

John wrote:
LukeM wrote:

This is a good idea, but what if someone "wins" twice? What do you think about badges as rewards instead of smilies?

I guess thats a good point, maybe a badge specific to the contest, then a smiley shared by all of them. I do like the idea of badges, but I still think there should be something more visible, I dont really look at badges personally (although I'm fairly sure I'm never going to win a contest, so my opinion doesn't really matter XD)

Wooted by:

#61 2018-04-03 14:01:54

John

LukeM wrote:

there should be something more visible

Oh, that makes sense. Currently people don't really look at profiles. Hmm...

PW?scale=2

#62 2018-04-03 15:23:50

peace

give contest winners a badge or something to show they won and release the smilesy oh and give these people who won them 10 gems each

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#63 2018-04-03 16:24:31, last edited by skullz17 (2018-04-03 16:25:46)

skullz17

John wrote:
LukeM wrote:

there should be something more visible

Oh, that makes sense. Currently people don't really look at profiles. Hmm...

Maybe you could choose to display a mini version of one badge of your choice next to your username in the user list when you're in a world.

edit: oh wait thats already sort of a thing if you click on their name

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#64 2018-04-03 18:50:44, last edited by Enurp (2018-04-03 22:17:35)

Enurp
Formerly ThuggishPrune

Or, and get this. We ignore entitled people/12 year olds begging for **** and we still do contest smileys. The system isn't flawed. Don't fix what ain't broke.

EDIT: I shouldn't even have to say this ****, especially to the former owner of the game. Giving in to people begging is **** sad.

Wooted by: (5)

#65 2018-04-03 23:12:04

BEE

As a winner of multiple contests, I honestly don't care much about the smilies. I DID care because I was always bird smiley, but then they came out with Bee smiley, so I'm just that now It's nice to have exclusive smilies, but I'm not a collector-type person in terms of smilies (but am in terms of blocks).

If you want to keep having contests and give a tangible reward to show I'm fine with having a "won a contest smiley" and then if you already got that to just give gems (or change the color of the contest smiley to a different color depending on how many you've won!). Otherwise non-tangible rewards like gems are fine after the initial reward (though this would be less motivation to participate in contests for the people who won in the past, which isn't necessarily a bad thing....)

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#66 2018-04-04 10:02:40, last edited by azurepudding (2018-04-04 10:36:03)

azurepudding

Luka504 wrote:

I absolutely agree with this, but there's an issue with what you are saying. That being that you can never truly work as hard as the contestants did back in 2011. Back then your block choices were so limited and you had almost no experience in building a quality world, so you essentially had to learn as you went if you wanted to win. Now, in 2018, when there's hundreds of items for your world to choose from and since a majority of players now have experience on how to make a good level, they can never possibly work as hard as the contestants did.

This argument would hold if it were a 2011 world pitted up against a 2018 world which is not the case.  Yes, there were more limitations back then, but those limitations applied to every competitor.  Just as now that there are more options to choose from, those options are available to every competitor.  Given everyone has the same tools in a competition, it should be just as hard to win now than it was then, as both times competitors had to win with the given available options.  I'm not getting the "easier to make worlds" and "it took a whole crew to build what one could build all alone now" arguments as we can still only place blocks block by block, but anyway.. you do not have an upperhand over a competitor with the features of today as they have the same features to take advantage of.  So no, it is not easier to win now than it was then.  Every disadvantage back then was a disadvantage every competitor shared.

Buuuut, I think we can all agree that with so few members, it does make a prize too common.  So I think if contests were to award these old smileys again, we should wait until we reach a good number of players.. how much is debatable, but for example we could wait until we have 100 online at peak.

Also I own one of the few Designer smileys, one of only like 10 in existence, and I think it should also return once we have enough members again. 

Also also.. I can understand the special feeling of these smileys, so what if all existing, and future winners, would receive a small medal on their profile or something?  As either a unique badge or a new graphic in the profile.  Nothing TOO flashy as people would want those as well, but for example if there was a Halloween contest this year, the badge could be of a pumpkin with the year 2018 on it, just to show that you specifically won that year, whereas someone who won the ones years back would have one that said 2011/2012 or.. whenever it was.  This way, it would be possible for more players to win these smilies while giving past winners something that can't be taken away.  This would also allow an old winner to win again and always have a prize to obtain, as they already have the smiley.

There could be like 1-2 contests per year, so we wouldn't have dozens of pumpkins and such being won every year.  Contest smileys would remain rare as there could be a 2-3 year gap before it could be won again.  One year could be designer and pumpkin, the next easter and christmas, the next valentine's day and then some unique star smiley or something.  New contest smileys along with the old sprinkled in here and there.  Dedicated fans of the game would have another chance to win without the extreme disappointment of losing with absolutely NO opportunity to win it later.  Also winners wouldn't feel like they were obligated to wear their smiley all the time... like I kinda feel like now.  If I don't wear my Designer, it feels like I'm taking it away from someone else who may have enjoyed it.. but if it returned and little badges/medals were given, I'd swap out smilies now and then depending on my mood.

Anyway.. how does that sound?  Sounds like a win-win to me, and more competitions could increase the player count, as it's fun to win stuff and if another contest is down the road, maybe people will stick around and try again?

EDIT: Posted this after reading half the thread.. some ideas also listed above.

Azure2.png

#67 2018-04-04 11:13:09

Luka504

azurepudding wrote:

This argument would hold if it were a 2011 world pitted up against a 2018 world which is not the case.  Yes, there were more limitations back then, but those limitations applied to every competitor.  Just as now that there are more options to choose from, those options are available to every competitor.  Given everyone has the same tools in a competition, it should be just as hard to win now than it was then, as both times competitors had to win with the given available options.  I'm not getting the "easier to make worlds" and "it took a whole crew to build what one could build all alone now" arguments as we can still only place blocks block by block, but anyway.. you do not have an upperhand over a competitor with the features of today as they have the same features to take advantage of.  So no, it is not easier to win now than it was then.  Every disadvantage back then was a disadvantage every competitor shared.

True, everyone has to deal with the same disadvantages in one time period, so if one can't have many blocks then neither can anyone else. However, it's not what items you have, it's how you use them. Imagine a person in 2011 who is just, really creative and has many grand ideas and gimmicks to add to his EE worlds, however he cannot make any of those ideas a reality since back then EE had no action blocks, and in turn his creativity is really constrained. That put him at the same level as someone who isn't as creative as him. But if you look at 2018, with so many items to choose from, the possibilities are endless. Now people can create those grand ideas since things like switches and effects open up so many cool gimmicks for your levels. There is a very clear difference from a creative to an uncreative person today than back in 2011.

azurepudding wrote:

Also also.. I can understand the special feeling of these smileys, so what if all existing, and future winners, would receive a small medal on their profile or something?

Yeah except badges are complete and utter garbage. Very rarely do people check out other people's profiles, and even when they do they pretty much never care about what badges people have. Unlike with smiley's, which you can see on a player immediately and know that they won a contest and got a cool prize for it. You can't possibly compare smiley's and badges. If I saw an official contest that offered nothing but a measly little badge I would never even think of participating.

azurepudding wrote:

it would be possible for more players to win these smilies while giving past winners something that can't be taken away.

I don't know if I understood what you said, so correct me if I'm wrong.
So you're suggesting for us to take 2011 contest smiley's from the winners, give them to like 20 more people and give the actual winners nothing but a dinky little badge as some form of compensation? Yeah no.

azurepudding wrote:

Also winners wouldn't feel like they were obligated to wear their smiley all the time.

I am pretty sure that they don't feel obligated to wear a smiley that they've won through a contest. I mean I have a bronze summer trophy yet I don't feel like I need to slap it in every world I can.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#68 2018-04-04 11:51:25, last edited by azurepudding (2018-04-04 12:23:01)

azurepudding

Luka504 wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

True, everyone has to deal with the same disadvantages in one time period, so if one can't have many blocks then neither can anyone else. However, it's not what items you have, it's how you use them. Imagine a person in 2011 who is just, really creative and has many grand ideas and gimmicks to add to his EE worlds, however he cannot make any of those ideas a reality since back then EE had no action blocks, and in turn his creativity is really constrained. That put him at the same level as someone who isn't as creative as him. But if you look at 2018, with so many items to choose from, the possibilities are endless. Now people can create those grand ideas since things like switches and effects open up so many cool gimmicks for your levels. There is a very clear difference from a creative to an uncreative person today than back in 2011.

Yes, except the contest back then and a future contest aren't two team contests of Creative Team vs Uncreative Team.. but many.  Many creative teams and some uncreative teams.  And the best of the best of the creative teams win the contest.  I do not think a creative and uncreative player were of the same creative level back then.  They just had the same options, but HOW they utilized their options is the determining factor of if they were deserving to win or not.  Even with literally only using a single block type like the brown brick, a creative user could create a beautiful world-sized tree or mountain or mansion whereas an uncreative type might just build a square box of a house.  There has always been ways to stand out.

Luka504 wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Also also.. I can understand the special feeling of these smileys, so what if all existing, and future winners, would receive a small medal on their profile or something?

Yeah except badges are complete and utter garbage. Very rarely do people check out other people's profiles, and even when they do they pretty much never care about what badges people have. Unlike with smiley's, which you can see on a player immediately and know that they won a contest and got a cool prize for it. You can't possibly compare smiley's and badges. If I saw an official contest that offered nothing but a measly little badge I would never even think of participating.

They could add a little icon next to your name in the userlist along with the profile badge/medal.  There could even be a hall of fame page in the lobby, or maybe even a special world with a line up of all winners to commemorate them.

Luka504 wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

it would be possible for more players to win these smilies while giving past winners something that can't be taken away.

I don't know if I understood what you said, so correct me if I'm wrong.
So you're suggesting for us to take 2011 contest smiley's from the winners, give them to like 20 more people and give the actual winners nothing but a dinky little badge as some form of compensation? Yeah no.

The "actual" winners would include those 20 new winners, though.  But if you mean the first time winners, see above response. 

Luka504 wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

Also winners wouldn't feel like they were obligated to wear their smiley all the time.

I am pretty sure that they don't feel obligated to wear a smiley that they've won through a contest. I mean I have a bronze summer trophy yet I don't feel like I need to slap it in every world I can.

I guess that's just me then.  But it does seem kind of a waste if someone wins a smiley but never uses it.  But it would seem those who never use the smiley should have no problem with more being able to win it.  Those who do actively use, I can understand more.  But badges and a hall of fame could help compensate for that.  There's a lot of room to be used beside usernames, so for a Halloween winner there could be a small pumpkin icon, that if you click on would show a gold pumpkin badge with the year on it.  If second place, silver.  If you won two Halloween contests, the pumpkin icon could have a x2 on it, to show you've won twice without clicking, and clicking would list both badges/medals with it.  There are a few things that can be done besides a smiley to show recognition.

EDIT: It could be a little something like this:

tiZ1viD.png

But of course, much more polished out.

Azure2.png

#69 2018-04-04 14:53:56, last edited by Koto (2018-04-04 19:42:56)

Koto

Well, if those smileys were used as prizes again, it'd be different staff, so they wouldn't be breaking any promises that they had made, however, it would still look good to keep those old promises, even if they weren't the ones to make it.  It has been 6 years, though, which seems loke a long enough period of time.  In all honesty, this wouldn't be a problem if there had been more exclusive smileys between then and now.

I don't think that the people that have these smileys that don't want them available again are being selfish at all.  If you do think that they are, then you really need to take a good look at how immature you're being, honestly.  I don't care too much, to me, it's just a smiley in an obscure game.  Those are my 2 cents.

Edit: I think I'll actually make my own post related to this at some point later.  There's a lot that could be said about this, and I'd like to have some time to articulate it, and post it so ot can receive tue proper amount of attention that it deserves.

#70 2018-04-04 21:12:40, last edited by azurepudding (2018-04-04 21:14:37)

azurepudding

Koto wrote:

Well, if those smileys were used as prizes again, it'd be different staff, so they wouldn't be breaking any promises that they had made, however, it would still look good to keep those old promises, even if they weren't the ones to make it.  It has been 6 years, though, which seems loke a long enough period of time.  In all honesty, this wouldn't be a problem if there had been more exclusive smileys between then and now.

I don't think that the people that have these smileys that don't want them available again are being selfish at all.  If you do think that they are, then you really need to take a good look at how immature you're being, honestly.  I don't care too much, to me, it's just a smiley in an obscure game.  Those are my 2 cents.

Edit: I think I'll actually make my own post related to this at some point later.  There's a lot that could be said about this, and I'd like to have some time to articulate it, and post it so ot can receive tue proper amount of attention that it deserves.

"It's just a smiley" is an argument that goes both ways tho.. if it's just a smiley, those who own it also shouldn't be so protective about it.

I've played EE since its first year and I think I have only seen the unlit pumpkin only once ever, and it was requested for the person to put it on.  I do not think I've ever seen lit pumpkin in-game.  I think it could spark up activity in the game if we had more competitions, but if we have a unique smiley for every year, eventually ideas will run out and ideas for shop smilies would need to be saved for future contests.. I'd rather just have the same contest smilies return and give players medals and icons as I posted above.  This way, you can show off that you won the contest without always needing the smiley on too.  Who knows how many times I've come across a player with the pumpkin smiley but didn't use it, so I had no idea?  With the icon and medal sheet, that isn't too flashy and in your face, but is noticeable enough, people can get their special feeling while also allowing others to get these limited smilies.

If there was a Halloween contest every other year, or once every 3 years, that would only be like 3 new pumpkins per year average.  And if we can get the player count to rise sufficiently, like 15 total of a thousand+ is still fairly rare.  Just not "you see it once every 8 years" rare, but maybe once every 3 months or so.

Azure2.png

#71 2018-04-04 21:25:16

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

azurepudding wrote:

If there was a Halloween contest every other year, or once every 3 years, that would only be like 3 new pumpkins per year average.  And if we can get the player count to rise sufficiently, like 15 total of a thousand+ is still fairly rare.  Just not "you see it once every 8 years" rare, but maybe once every 3 months or so..

Or we could just introduce new contest smileys, then bring them back whenever needed.

#72 2018-04-04 21:39:57

azurepudding

N1KF wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

If there was a Halloween contest every other year, or once every 3 years, that would only be like 3 new pumpkins per year average.  And if we can get the player count to rise sufficiently, like 15 total of a thousand+ is still fairly rare.  Just not "you see it once every 8 years" rare, but maybe once every 3 months or so..

Or we could just introduce new contest smileys, then bring them back whenever needed.

That could be done but again, that does take away from ideas for future shop smilies, though I suppose we have enough holiday ones as-is.  If we have one or two contests per year, and if holiday-themed, could rotate them out, pumpkin and lit pumpkin could be all that's needed for whenever the contest is Halloween-themed, though if another one was added I suppose contests could be more frequent.

Azure2.png

#73 2018-04-04 22:42:40

Koto

azurepudding wrote:

"It's just a smiley" is an argument that goes both ways tho.. if it's just a smiley, those who own it also shouldn't be so protective about it.

It actually doesn't, simply due to the fact that those who won it were promised that they wouldn't be given out again.  Because staff promised that, to go back on that and give them oit again would be seen as a betrayal of trust by the community, and would affect the game negatively.  This game doesn't need that negative reputation, and certainly cannot afford to lose any more players at this moment in time.

It's really a terrible situation for the current staff to be in, but it is what it is.  I understand both points of view.  Unfortunately, the only way that anything can be done about ot, is when an EE reboot occurs, of which I have a potential solution, becaise I do NOT think that badges that are only visible on one's profile is enough of a prize for a building competition in a sandbox game.  The root problem lies in the fact that the contest smileys were too generic.  I will address this fully in a seperate topic later.

Wooted by:

#74 2018-04-05 11:11:28

azurepudding

Koto wrote:
azurepudding wrote:

It actually doesn't, simply due to the fact that those who won it were promised that they wouldn't be given out again.  Because staff promised that, to go back on that and give them oit again would be seen as a betrayal of trust by the community, and would affect the game negatively.  This game doesn't need that negative reputation, and certainly cannot afford to lose any more players at this moment in time.

It's really a terrible situation for the current staff to be in, but it is what it is.  I understand both points of view.  Unfortunately, the only way that anything can be done about ot, is when an EE reboot occurs, of which I have a potential solution, becaise I do NOT think that badges that are only visible on one's profile is enough of a prize for a building competition in a sandbox game.  The root problem lies in the fact that the contest smileys were too generic.  I will address this fully in a seperate topic later.

Where was this promise made?  I'd like to see the actual wording of it.  But either way, I feel that the game shouldn't have restrictions on what is best for it, I mean I don't think this negative effect would be as big as you think it would be.  If people are OK with a fresh start on reboot, then I dunno why there is opposition to this on current EE. People are just making it way more of a big deal than it really is.  I don't recall anyone getting so upset over Artist smiley returning.  And even if someone did, the game didn't collapse on itself.

Also as I posted before, there could be a little icon next to your name and there could be a hall of fame of some sort, with the former not requiring needing to peek into profiles to see.  It is something always there, whether you have your contest smiley on or not, vs how it is now, where no one knows you won if you aren't using it.  And even if that is not enough, then I think people are wanting to feel a little too special.

Azure2.png

#75 2018-04-05 11:42:38, last edited by Koto (2018-04-05 11:58:26)

Koto

https://everybodyedits.wordpress.com/20 … tion-2011/

https://everybodyedits.wordpress.com/20 … 1-contest/

You will have to go into the comments to see where it was said only the winners that will gdt them.  It was also promised ingame several times by RPGMaster2000.  I don't have pictures of those, but I was there, and am familiar woth what happened.

I cannot find it at the moment, as I have to leave for work, but it was specfically stated that the artist smiley would be used as a prize for more than just that contest.

Edit: If anybody has any additional proof of these, please, send it my way!  I can totally ise it for the post I'm going to male (I should hopefully have the time to make that post Saturday)

dcomet1523665406703047

Board footer