Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-30 08:24:20

Kira

Easter and Halloween Contest

This subject has always been taboo, and for a reason. The owners of these smileys wants to remain special and unique in the eyes of the community, moreover, Xenotenix possess every former contest smileys which lower the chance of bringing them back.
Most of the newest generation did not have the chance to participate in these old contests, myself included. I've always been a fan of those smileys, but we never had any chance to compete for them.

Why do they have to stay exclusive to past-winners? Most of them already left Everybody Edits permanently, the chance of seeing one of them are really low.

It's been several years since the community asked to bring these contests back, it would give some intensive to build, and for once, having a good prize for a contest. I'm sure the community will be in favor of this.

And hey look! Easter is really close. Timing's perfect isn't it?

#2 2018-03-30 09:50:20, last edited by Luka504 (2018-03-30 09:56:41)

Luka504

Re: Easter and Halloween Contest

Sorry for going against you on this one, I know you wanted me to support you, but I cannot, because you are simply wrong.

Kira wrote:

Most of them already left Everybody Edits permanently

See, this is the flaw with your argument. Most have left. But not all.
As long as there's one person who has the smiley(s) and is also active in the game, we shouldn't take away their uniqueness. It's a symbol that you have been a long time fan of everybody edits and are still active in the community. If a bunch of newbies who joined in like 2014 also had it, it ruins something that is really valuable.
I'd much rather just have new smiley's and blocks rather than old ones.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2018-03-30 10:54:05

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

??

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

PTU

#4 2018-03-30 12:30:49, last edited by Mait (2018-03-30 12:31:16)

Mait

Luka504 wrote:

Sorry for going against you on this one, I know you wanted me to support you, but I cannot, because you are simply wrong.

Kira wrote:

Most of them already left Everybody Edits permanently

See, this is the flaw with your argument. Most have left. But not all.
As long as there's one person who has the smiley(s) and is also active in the game, we shouldn't take away their uniqueness. It's a symbol that you have been a long time fan of everybody edits and are still active in the community. If a bunch of newbies who joined in like 2014 also had it, it ruins something that is really valuable.
I'd much rather just have new smiley's and blocks rather than old ones.

But contest smileys shouldn't be unique besides the fact showing that you won the contest. It shouldn't be time uniqueness, maybe a new trophy but not the smiley

EDIT: I agree, fanboy and fanboy II should be time exclusive items, because they still are for fans who stay with the game long enough. But contest prizes should keep on being the prizes we hunt for. (Added the old post i posted)

Mait.jpg
Let's get to 5000.

Wooted by: (5)

#5 2018-03-30 12:56:29

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I think John was considering making them seasonal magic smileys. Eg. bird and bunny are magic smileys during Easter and pumpkin smileys are rewarded through magic during the Halloween season, but I doubt this is going to happen now.

I, personally, hate limited time content. It's a stupid idea that too many games have and abuse. I don't care for the 'specialness' of owning something that no one else has, I call that selfishness. I'm not above anyone else for owning something they don't and time should not be a divider between us.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (4)

#6 2018-03-30 14:01:37

Onjit
Website

I think that contest smileys should be recycled for similar contests every few years, like the artist smiley has been given as a reward a few times.

However, I think that these smileys should only be available to those that actually won the contests (and not members of the staff)

:.|:;

#7 2018-03-30 14:51:02

peace

i like this idea we should do it but youre a bit late for easter contest as easter is this sunday already but yes i do want all these cotnesst items im an ee collector have almost everything (am GM) exept for diamond/bigspender wich i really want too :C

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#8 2018-04-01 10:28:42

Minimania
Moderation Team

As cool as it would be to have the bunny right now, the current people who hold the bunny are a lot more active than you think they are.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#9 2018-04-01 11:12:55

Koto

I own one of the pumpkin smileys, and was a former mod.  Imo, I'd be okay if they brought them back.  It's been an appropriate amount of time, imo.

#10 2018-04-01 15:16:50

Guest.

i feel like artist was brought back a bit too fast, but yeah. as a contest smiley owner id definitely be up for smth like this (maybe a recurring loadscreen contest instead of design contest for the artist; design contest should never happen again)

#11 2018-04-01 19:38:55, last edited by Joeyc (2018-04-01 19:44:43)

Joeyc

Jet wrote:

i feel like artist was brought back a bit too fast, but yeah. as a contest smiley owner id definitely be up for smth like this (maybe a recurring loadscreen contest instead of design contest for the artist; design contest should never happen again)

exactly.  I'd like to see them bring back the bird or bunny this month for a contest. especially both pumpkins. I agree that's it unfair that you can not earn this anymore, since it's been locked off for 7 years
don't care about the people who have these smileys and will cry about it. Just cause they have a smiley and found out about the game way before you, is especially selfish

Wooted by: (3)

#12 2018-04-01 20:03:55

Anak

Why not just have another contest for like a second Easter/Halloween campaign or smth? (Or you could have a contest each year and replace the levels in 1 campaign, keep them on their toes)

#13 2018-04-01 20:09:49

Guest.

Anak wrote:

Why not just have another contest for like a second Easter/Halloween campaign or smth? (Or you could have a contest each year and replace the levels in 1 campaign, keep them on their toes)

theres already 2 halloween campaigns (neither of them fun imo) and no easter campaigns

Wooted by:

#14 2018-04-01 20:43:39

Kira

Lots of positive answers! Can we have an answer from the staff now?

#15 2018-04-01 20:51:08

Anak

Jet wrote:
Anak wrote:

theres already 2 halloween campaigns (neither of them fun imo) and no easter campaigns

Oh right! When did the second one get added? I wasn't aware of it. Also I suppose that's a fix for an Easter campaign lol (I guess I got mixed up w the Spring one, although it's kinda Easter themed as well)

#16 2018-04-01 22:20:29

Slushie

Sorry, as a 2011 contest winner, I disagree.

First of all, if your primary argument is that the smileys shouldn’t be exclusive because the winners “just want to seem special”, then you’ve already lost, because what reason do you have for wanting these smileys if not to seem special too? You can’t criticize contest winners for being selfish, when your reason for wanting the smileys returned and their reason for wanting the smileys to remain exclusive are exactly the same.

Second, you have to realize that when these smileys were released, it was guaranteed that they would remain exclusive to the contest winners. Not contest winners in general (which most people here seem to believe or want to be true), but to the Easter 2011 and Halloween 2011 contest winners specifically. Many players put their heart and soul into creating their contest levels, myself included, because we were told it would not be possible to obtain these smileys again. Whether you agree with the concept of veteran-exclusive items or not isn’t relevant, because it was promised they would remain exclusive, and it’s a slap in the face to reverse that promise years later just because some new players don’t want to feel left out.

Finally, as I’m sure everyone is aware, it was much more difficult to create a level worthy of winning contests in 2011 than it is today. Obviously there was a much smaller block palette to work with, but practically everyone at the time was also new to level building, as EE was still a new game. The levels that a single player could churn out in one day in 2018 would take several days of work by an entire crew of players in 2011, because no one back then had the experience that players today have. You can’t replicate the conditions of the 2011 contests today, which is another reason it’s not fair to give the same prizes.

TL;DR no pls

ok

#17 2018-04-01 22:41:08

Kentiya
Website

I agree with Slushie, they should remain exclusive as promised. I don't like that they were made that way, but Chris wasn't really planning for the long-term future with things like the contest smileys and classic items. But it's not a big deal anyway, because the reboot is coming next year, and we'll make sure to plan farther into the future.

kentiya-cartoony-120.png
Kentiya / Atikyne — EE & EEU lead artist 2018-2020

Wooted by: (3)

#18 2018-04-02 00:05:01, last edited by Luka504 (2018-04-02 00:07:56)

Luka504

Since there's some momentum going I might as well contribute too.

Devlin wrote:

I don't care for the 'specialness' of owning something that no one else has, I call that selfishness.

It's really incredible how much of a hypocrite you are for saying this, since you also wish to own the same items that make one special, or in your words, selfish. If you're gonna point fingers you should try pointing them at a mirror first, Devlin.
But hypocrisy aside, you can't possibly tell me that someone who worked hard for a prize that they could use to stand out are selfish for using said item to stand out. They've earned that item and they deserve to wear it proudly, not share it with a bunch of dorks who joined in like 2015 who didn't pour in as much work or effort.

Mait wrote:

I agree, fanboy and fanboy II should be time exclusive items, because they still are for fans who stay with the game long enough.

Haha the irony is unreal. So the fanboy smileys get a free pass and should be exclusive but 2011 contest smileys , which do a much better job of representing how much time you spent on the game, must be shared otherwise you are a selfish jerk? It's very obvious how you have the fanboy smiley and you want it to be exclusive.

Onjit wrote:

I think that contest smileys should be recycled for similar contests every few years, like the artist smiley has been given as a reward a few times.

Oh yes since doing one contest wasn't enough, let's give out rare unique smiley's to 20 people every few years and watch as the value plummets.

JoeyC wrote:

I agree that's it unfair that you can not earn this anymore, since it's been locked off for 7 years
don't care about the people who have these smileys and will cry about it

Honestly if this doesn't just destroy the case to bring back contest smiley's I don't know what does. This perfectly depicts how selfish you guys are by arguing that you deserve smiley's that are purposefully designed to be exclusive to people who joined in 2011. And let's be honest here, you guys are only complaining because you don't have those smiley's. If you had those smileys and you saw people asking for them to become obtainable again, I absolutely **** guarantee you would be fighting as much as you could to protect them. You can say differently, but your actions thus far have already showed the truth that would have never escaped your lips.

tl;dr - Your arguments are pretty ****. You do not deserve the contest prizes.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#19 2018-04-02 00:28:25

Master1

I'm pretty sure the majority of the people who want these only want them because they're rare, if they get released to the public most would only wear them for like a week before never using it again.

Keep the value, don't release for everyone

thanks

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#20 2018-04-02 00:33:35

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

dont have a single contest reward smiley but who cares, i still agree with slushie
cant blame owners of these smileys for wanting to feel special by having them when that was the very initial purpose of adding these smileys as contest rewards
not to mention that it is purely aesthetic and does not put the players that do not own them at a loss.

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#21 2018-04-02 00:41:39

Schlog

i agree with them being kept by those who won contest but if the staff, for whatever unjust reasons, decide to give them out, it should be in the form of contest prizes to retain at least some of their value

Wooted by:

#22 2018-04-02 00:51:21

Raphe9000

Just take the Fanboy 2 method. Make a slight yet noticeable redesign to the smiley and release it as a new one that is still limited.

Wooted by:

#23 2018-04-02 01:09:41

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Luka504 wrote:

It's really incredible how much of a hypocrite you are for saying this, since you also wish to own the same items that make one special, or in your words, selfish. If you're gonna point fingers you should try pointing them at a mirror first, Devlin.
But hypocrisy aside, you can't possibly tell me that someone who worked hard for a prize that they could use to stand out are selfish for using said item to stand out. They've earned that item and they deserve to wear it proudly, not share it with a bunch of dorks who joined in like 2015 who didn't pour in as much work or effort.

Lol what... how am I selfish for wanting EVERYONE to be able to have a smiley? I don't want to join your gang of "look at me I'm so special for owning this smiley" I want to just own said smiley. I don't want to own it to be special as well. The bunny, chick and jack 'o' lanten smileys are 3 of my favourite smileys in the game and it sucks that the main reason that I don't have them is simply because I wasn't around at the time. Sure, I doubt I would have won the competitions for them anyway, but I would have liked to have at least been able to try. That said, if I had been around for the competitons, then regardless of whether or not I obtained the smileys I'd still be for everyone being able to have them (or at the very least, having them re-obtainable - even in a difficult way such as winning another competition).

I've also rarely ever seen people use these smileys. And even when they do, it's often only to brag about them. The only person I've ever seen use any of these smileys in a genuine way is doh. I'd love to bounce through levels as a little bunny and chill in some water as a chicken, I can also see myself regularly using the pumpkin smileys around Halloween either in general or whilst pretending to hide.

Tbh, surely the main attraction to winning a competition is the satisfaction of winning said competition? If you're in it for what you have to gain, then you're in it for the wrong reasons imo. Someone else having a competition smiley only 'devalues' the smiley itself. It does not devalue your achievement. You still won that contest, nothing is ever going to change that. You don't need a smiley to validate that. And so what if they hold another competition with the same prize? If they win the competition, then surely they deserve it right? After all, you seem to deserve the smiley for winning your competition.

I am fundamentally against unique prizes in all walks of life. Everyone should have equal opportunity to be the same as everybody else. It encourages selfishness, entitlement and greed which, fyi, are bad traits that can often be destructive. I can understand not wanting people to get things for free that you worked hard to get - our solution to that is have them as contest smileys. But when you say things like you don't want others to even have the chance to earn it themselves through their own hard work and determination that they are prepared to go through, that's when we know the your motives in this debate are selfish ones.

If you are going to say that others shouldn't have these smileys because you worked hard to get them, then you shouldn't be against allowing others the chance to work equally as hard to get them themselves.

I hope that the reboot either offers these smileys for free or as repeatably obtainable content because the current administration is under no obligation to keep promises made by different people several years ago. Those promises were broken the second those who made them left the game.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#24 2018-04-02 02:22:34

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

mutantdevle wrote:

the current administration is under no obligation to keep promises made by different people several years ago.

I think it's just respectful to keep going in the spirit of that original promise.

I like the idea of contest smileys be recurring, but not at the cost of misleading hardworking contest winners.

Wooted by: (4)

#25 2018-04-02 06:17:24

Enurp
Formerly ThuggishPrune

can i hav pumpkeen plz

dcomet1523665406703047

Board footer