Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#76 2018-03-05 23:15:02

XxAtillaxX

Re: Full Screen & Vision Blocker

Onjit wrote:

Has there been any confirmation from the staff on whether this will be added? It's very clear that the community wants it, and that it would be useful. I have a rather ambitious project I am working on at the moment and I'm not going to continue if this isn't added, because it will severely diminish the quality of the level.

---

I have and idea that could extend the functionality of the vision blockers - have them be able to be activated/deactivated via switches.

I started working on it a couple months ago, actually, but it's up to them whether to finish it now. I'd like to see it completed, would be neat.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by: (3)

#77 2018-03-06 13:12:02, last edited by Nebula (2018-03-06 13:12:30)

Nebula

Jet wrote:
Whirl wrote:
AndroidLayger wrote:

Worlds Creators need it, we need it. The Vision Block will become an essential block for the EE, i hope.

https://i.imgur.com/xfliCwv.png
https://i.imgur.com/R8mvff5.png
still waiting

whaaaaaaaat??? who's RUDIK3000???! aren't you WHIRL?

I'm called as RUDIK3000 in 2014-2016, you can see
M8LBLYr.png

#78 2018-03-06 13:42:32

Anatoly

Whirl wrote:
Jet wrote:
Whirl wrote:
AndroidLayger wrote:

Worlds Creators need it, we need it. The Vision Block will become an essential block for the EE, i hope.

still waiting

https://i.imgur.com/M8LBLYr.png

You don’t get it, do you?

You inserted here a dialog with a staff member who left, the “promise” is 2 years old. Stop, please.

#79 2018-03-06 17:09:32, last edited by Nebula (2018-03-06 17:10:04)

Nebula

AnatolyEE wrote:
Whirl wrote:
Jet wrote:
Whirl wrote:
AndroidLayger wrote:

still waiting

https://i.imgur.com/M8LBLYr.png

You don’t get it, do you?

You inserted here a dialog with a staff member who left, the “promise” is 2 years old. Stop, please.

ik is old

but what if new ee devs got on vision blocker thing :oooooooo

#80 2018-03-06 17:34:45

Gosha

please all stay on topic.

I don't think this will be ever implemented. There are too many other problems that need to be solved. There is no time for a huge block like this one

#81 2018-03-06 17:47:10

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

I don't think this will be ever implemented. There are too many other problems that need to be solved. There is no time for a huge block like this one

Something like this would itself solve a lot of those problems though :O

It would mean you dont need to have a huge amount of space between parts of worlds
It would let them display more of the world on the screen without requiring even bigger gaps between parts
It would mean that they could let the game window be resizable while still allowing worlds where you cant see the whole thing
It would let them finally centre the window on the player!!! (without breaking old worlds, although they might require some modification)
It would mean they could fix the problems with the scaling of the game when in fullscreen (minimap sizing being inconsistent)

#82 2018-03-06 18:20:37

Gosha

LukeM wrote:

LukeM wrote:

I was talking about the vision block //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I've created Full Screen clients before, even without source code. It's not that complicated, but requires to change some const values to flexible values responding to resize

#83 2018-03-06 20:28:01, last edited by LukeM (2018-03-06 20:42:43)

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

I was talking about the vision block //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

IK, I was too, there are a lot of problems that it would indirectly solve (heres my logic):

Currently, worlds often have parts that they dont want players to see between, so if the staff dont want to break old worlds, they cant change the view distance. If there was a block that limited your vision however, large gaps could be replaced by the vision blocker so they wouldnt be broken if the players view distance was larger.

It would mean you dont need to have a huge amount of space between parts of worlds:
Dont need a 15 or whatever block gap for people not to be able to see past it

It would let them display more of the world on the screen without requiring even bigger gaps between parts:
The bigger the screen, the larger the gap would need to be

It would mean that they could let the game window be resizable while still allowing worlds where you cant see the whole thing:
If its resizable, you wouldnt be able to have places players couldnt see, because theoretically you could have a screen size that could see the whole world

It would let them finally centre the window on the player!!! (without breaking old worlds, although they might require some modification):
All worlds that need a gap currently have a different distance on the left than the right, because the player is slightly to the right of the screen. If the player was moved to the centre then they might be able to see past some of them slightly (not a big deal, but it might be a bit annoying having to move everything to make old worlds look a bit better)

It would mean they could fix the problems with the scaling of the game when in fullscreen (minimap sizing being inconsistent):
If you can have a resizable view distance, then you can resize the game more cleverly, so its always scaled by an integer, just the window is slightly different sizes

tl;dr; Without vision blockers you cant change view distance without breaking old worlds, being able to change view distance fixed a lot of problems.

#84 2018-03-06 21:30:07

Abelysk

Gosha wrote:

please all stay on topic.

Lmao Gosha gets banned for trying to help by stunting people sliding way off-topic while THEY don't get banned? I get it's minimodding but his post wasn't just "please stay on topic" it also added a thought into why vision blockers are hard to implement and not worth the time at the moment.

This is literally police arresting people for super trivial reasons, like come on.

And Gosha didn't even force his minimodding, he just asked politely hence the "please"... minimodding would be pointing fingers and writing a paragraph on why whirl/jet should not be talking about that.

And yet he gets banned for saying a brief, concise, 5-worded IMPORTANT point to bring the off-topicness to a halt. And it worked.

At least warn him, or do nothing about it. Do you value reputation or do you value being a jerk? You don't even get money for banning people so I don't SEE why you would ban him for such a teeny tiny pick at an issue.

#85 2018-03-08 01:17:35

shadowda

this is the #1 thing ee needs. i dont care about normal blocks or smileys, or anything else.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#86 2018-03-08 01:29:55

Guest.

shadowda wrote:

this is the #1 thing ee needs

reboot? refined lobby? game-breaking exploits fixed? cpu usage fix? lag fix? bug fixes? improved profiles?

#87 2018-03-08 02:07:12

Yonanoke
Formerly Glaauber
Website

Jet wrote:

reboot?

Reboot is a bad idea only for me? Just make the best to fix the bugs and cpu usage, lol.

In-game arts

友達をまだ忘れていません。
Our memories will always belong to Everybody Edits

#88 2018-03-08 16:15:11

peace

reboot is bad for old players as they lose all their time spent in ee

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by: (2)

#89 2018-03-08 20:54:01

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

peace wrote:

reboot is bad for old players as they lose all their time spent in ee

I lost all my time spent on ee when I played EE because timee is not refundable.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#90 2018-03-09 03:40:33

shadowda

Jet wrote:
shadowda wrote:

this is the #1 thing ee needs

reboot? refined lobby? game-breaking exploits fixed? cpu usage fix? lag fix? bug fixes? improved profiles?

Nope. those can wait.

well, no reboot.
Why would profiles be better than this.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#91 2018-03-09 15:58:00

peace

hey gues since i like this idea im working on an effect side of this //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile will tell its property's onc eive done some ghrapics in my ee world //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#92 2018-03-27 12:52:45

Heavpoot
Brand New Member

please add vision blockers plsplspls
if youre concerned about lag dont calculate them every frame? xd
just use a space filling alog

This is my signature //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by:

#93 2018-03-27 13:28:54, last edited by LukeM (2018-03-27 13:29:03)

LukeM
Website

As its quite a big task, and they are currently working on making a reboot, I'm guessing they probably won't add it to flash, but they definately need to be added to the reboot if it is going to support changing view distance

I guess its more that its quite a difficult thing to do efficiently, as there are a lot of different ways it can be done, and each has its own fallbacks.
Probably the simplest way would be to add something like this: (from Latif's topic)

Hidden text

To do this, you would just have to fill one quad for each block, so this should both be very fast, and very easy to implement
The problem is that although this would work exactly the same as the other vision blocker ideas when in a convex area, you wouldnt be able to see around corners, which may be important.

The other way they could work is to just not show anything that isnt in your section of the map, which would be much harder to do well, as you would have to use some sort of flood fill algorithm, which would be very slow if it was acting on a large area.
A way to solve this would be to only perform the flood fill on your view area, but this could cause problems if there was, for example, a long U shape, so you couldnt see the connecting part, which would mean the other arm would go black, even though it is connected.

The 'don't do it every frame' method would also cause problems, as it would mean that every 5 frames or so, there would be one that took four times as long or whatever, which would definately be noticable, and would make the game quality look a lot worse.

Another method would be to keep an updated list of areas, and when you place a block, the area it is placed in is recalculated, possibly splitting it into 2 areas if needed. This should be faster as you dont need to recalculate the areas every time, but there would have to be some algorithm created that determines whether an area needs to be split (the best thing that comes to mind is a fairly fast pathfinding algorithm from one side to another), and actually splits the areas if needed (which would be very slow if it was done as simple lists of blocks)

#94 2018-03-27 14:16:49

Heavpoot
Brand New Member

LukeM wrote:

The 'don't do it every frame' method would also cause problems, as it would mean that every 5 frames or so

cringes

no, it would mean every spawn, ungod, portal, checkpoint respawn, /teleport, etc
you will never need to do it every n frames or when the player moves, as every spawn, ungod, portal, checkpoint respawn, /teleport, etc are the only times when you will be entering/exiting an enclosed space

#95 2018-03-27 14:28:05, last edited by LukeM (2018-03-27 14:28:43)

LukeM
Website

Heavpoot wrote:
LukeM wrote:

The 'don't do it every frame' method would also cause problems, as it would mean that every 5 frames or so

cringes

no, it would mean every spawn, ungod, portal, checkpoint respawn, /teleport, etc
you will never need to do it every n frames or when the player moves, as every spawn, ungod, portal, checkpoint respawn, /teleport, etc are the only times when you will be entering/exiting an enclosed space

Ok yes, for completed worlds I guess that could be the case, but you would still need to do it while building the world, and although that wouldnt be as much of a problem as it would be if you needed to do it all the time, it would make a big part of the game (the fact that it can be a sandbox and a platformer at the same time) a lot worse.

#96 2018-03-27 14:38:36, last edited by Heavpoot (2018-03-27 14:39:59)

Heavpoot
Brand New Member

and also on block place and delete (BUT NOT IN GODMODE OFCOURSE SO BUILDING WORLDS WOULD BE EASY)

Edit: oh and only for vision blockers

#97 2018-03-27 14:50:04

Onjit
Website

LukeM wrote:

As its quite a big task, and they are currently working on making a reboot, I'm guessing they probably won't add it to flash, but they definately need to be added to the reboot if it is going to support changing view distance

I guess its more that its quite a difficult thing to do efficiently, as there are a lot of different ways it can be done, and each has its own fallbacks.
Probably the simplest way would be to add something like this: (from Latif's topic)

To do this, you would just have to fill one quad for each block, so this should both be very fast, and very easy to implement
The problem is that although this would work exactly the same as the other vision blocker ideas when in a convex area, you wouldnt be able to see around corners, which may be important.

The other way they could work is to just not show anything that isnt in your section of the map, which would be much harder to do well, as you would have to use some sort of flood fill algorithm, which would be very slow if it was acting on a large area.
A way to solve this would be to only perform the flood fill on your view area, but this could cause problems if there was, for example, a long U shape, so you couldnt see the connecting part, which would mean the other arm would go black, even though it is connected.

The 'don't do it every frame' method would also cause problems, as it would mean that every 5 frames or so, there would be one that took four times as long or whatever, which would definately be noticable, and would make the game quality look a lot worse.

Another method would be to keep an updated list of areas, and when you place a block, the area it is placed in is recalculated, possibly splitting it into 2 areas if needed. This should be faster as you dont need to recalculate the areas every time, but there would have to be some algorithm created that determines whether an area needs to be split (the best thing that comes to mind is a fairly fast pathfinding algorithm from one side to another), and actually splits the areas if needed (which would be very slow if it was done as simple lists of blocks)

thats cool and all but itd be nice if the dev team werent so LAZY and just made it

jeez gosha youve been on the team for like a day and you havent even done anything

#demodgosha

:.|:;

Wooted by:

#98 2018-03-27 15:21:12

Heavpoot
Brand New Member

well gosha did do something

they told me i didnt understand how the implementation of a vision blocker works
which i do

and they also thought that it would be really fps intensive

#99 2018-03-27 15:36:12

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Merged Heavpoot’s topic here

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#100 2018-03-27 16:23:25

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

LukeM wrote:

i think this could be the best choice.
how about making some sort of "bake" function that makes all the flood fills at once and saves them instead of making them constantly in real time? bake could be triggered every time a vision blocker is placed or removed

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

SirJosh39171532608495716256

Board footer