Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-12-26 07:22:26

Minimania
Moderation Team

Re: When did this become commonplace

N1KF wrote:
guardtown wrote:

I think all forms of sharing your religious beliefs deserve to be censored.

Woah, what's happening to this forum? This forum barely cared about religion at all and now people are openly calling for censorship of opinions. I'm kind of surprised at all of this.

All controversial opinions by definition create conflict. Should we censor all controversial opinions? No, that would be silly! The world is better off when we have people of all sorts of odd beliefs.

If everybody just keeps to themselves, no conflict will happen. For example, AK712's world spreads it's beliefs, and you know what conflict that has caused (this thread). That's why me, and so many other people are angry towards AK712, he broke the peace.

Why are you blaming AK712? AK712's world did not cause this topic—the people posting here did. People who read this topic will either stubbornly stick to their own opinions as always, or reconsider and become wiser. I know that responding to this topic has given me joy since I've been given the chance to think out and express my opinions.

I can't speak for everybody, but I think the community in general is better off with this topic.

He isn't referencing to AK712's world, he's referencing to some of the replies on this thread.

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

I'm not calling for the censorship of opinions, but the censorship of the expression of opinions such as religion and etc. that have been known to spark hatred between two people. Christianity is a religion of peace? What's going on with Westboro Baptist Church, then?

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#52 2017-12-26 08:38:53

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

minimania wrote:

I'm not calling for the censorship of opinions, but the censorship of the expression of opinions such as religion and etc. that have been known to spark hatred between two people.

Alright, that's fair. I was exaggerating a bit there. But it still is censorship on a level I've never seen accepted or even considered here.

Christianity is a religion of peace? What's going on with Westboro Baptist Church, then?

That church ignores the very basic Christian teachings, so it shouldn't be used to judge Christianity. That's like using a meat lover group to judge vegetarianism.

#53 2017-12-26 09:55:37

RavaTroll

N1KF wrote:

Modern morality is based on religion in many ways, and young children can't fully understand morality. Every single good parent has told their child what's right and what's wrong. And if children resist, the parents push it because deep inside, they know that obeying your parents is what's right. You can't avoid religious morals.

Sure, but when a religion advocates submission to rules that are dangerous for people (homophobia, sexism, submission to people based on nothing but "they're better believers than I am") I'm guessing the morality is wrong and you teaching dangerous morality to children is wrong. Maybe you've never read the bible (or the quran for that matter) but it is clear that some of these 2000+ yo rules are plain dangerous and stupid. Not all of them, but some of them - and you know that dismissing rules from the official bible makes you an heretic and heretics never were well treated in history.

I might add that faith is by definition irrational and teaching kids irrationality won't make them grow up and become logical and rational adults as they should be. No wonder why so many people do stupid things nowadays if nobody taught them how to be rational.

I also advocate not teaching kids what is right and what isn't, but teaching kids empathy and rationality, which should give them enough tools to have a decent morality - ie : "would you like people doing that to you ?"

Don't misunderstand me however, i'm not against faith, i just think people should be give the means to make their own mind about things, and if they choose to believe, good for them.

Let's assume for a moment that no deities exist. What exactly, is the problem with believing in something that doesn't exist? The only effects of religious belief are on the believer. If these effects are positive, is there anything wrong with that? I'm still waiting for somebody to explain here why Christianity in particular should be censored.

The problem is not about the belief itself, the problem is with what people's make out of that belief. Although from what i've read in the bible it is clear that christianity has a deep emphasis on love, what people did with this religion - and not the belief - is deeply wrong : holy wars, inquisition, and abusing people's trust to gain power and wealth. Faith is not wrong. Religion is.

I might add that if anyone's going to censor religions, it should be all of them, and not just one. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Where exactly do these users do this? I'm familiar with AK712's world, which doesn't seem to fall under your description, so I'm assuming it's the other. I can't run the game on this computer so I would appreciate an explanation.

When introducing someone to religion, you should introduce this person to ALL religions and all the controversies and what science has to say about it and what everyone thinks about it to help people make their own mind. Introducing something to someone without any critical thinking prove that you don't want to teach them something, you only want to persuade them, not convince them. It's subtle but the difference is important.
Critical thinking is one of the most important we have and it is one of the only thing that can keep us safe from fascism. Teach kids how to think by themselves, not what to think. Otherwise they will never be free.
You should also introduce people to facts and have them make their own mind about it. Reality is more important than anything else.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I do know what it means, and I do think that a vast majority of parents are abusing their children and don't even know what they're doing.
It's non-violent abuse, but using the trust someone has in you to force him to believe something irrational is abuse.

As for this world, I think that it is not that bad, but I don't think faith/religion teaching should be in any game. Talking about it is ok. Teaching it no.
If someone want to know about the bible, have them get one and read it as I have. The bible is so big it can't even fit inside an EE world so the author has handpicked some parts of it - and i don't know if you've ever talked about the bible with believers, but the bible is more than a few quotes and make sense only if you read everything, not if you cherrypick what pleases you and what doesn't.
Faith also has a deep social meaning and teaching it without the social bond is stupid - churches exist for a reason, believers communities too.

I don't know if I would censor the level tho. I would voice my concerns and have a talk about it with people and the creator of the level, reporting it to mods as well to tell them that this is "problematic" to see if the EE rules allow this, but not advocating to censor it per say.

Thanks for your answers tho I think it's important to have someone here do exactly what you're doing and that this talk is very important. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by:

#54 2017-12-26 10:23:02

LukeM
Website

minimania wrote:

I'm not calling for the censorship of opinions, but the censorship of the expression of opinions such as religion and etc. that have been known to spark hatred between two people.

You do know that that's what censorship means right? Preventing people from saying (expressing) things... Censoring swear words doesn't mean surgically removing them from people's minds...

#55 2017-12-26 10:48:05

XxAtillaxX

If religious themes are allowed to exist in worlds, as they should be, then so should worlds containing criticism of religion - simple as that.

I brought up the topic of drawing Prophet Muhammad for that very reason, and the point was entirely overlooked. It's quite a slippery slope, as anyone can make up an extremely bigoted religion promoting hatred and, when punished by a moderator, proceed to cry discrimination.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#56 2017-12-26 17:00:00

Firecrackericebreak

woah how did i miss off of this discussion this didnt show up in my new tab

anyways im ready to discuss now

#57 2017-12-26 18:57:56

guardtown

N1KF wrote:
guardtown wrote:

I think all forms of sharing your religious beliefs deserve to be censored.

Woah, what's happening to this forum? This forum barely cared about religion at all and now people are openly calling for censorship of opinions. I'm kind of surprised at all of this.

All controversial opinions by definition create conflict. Should we censor all controversial opinions? No, that would be silly! The world is better off when we have people of all sorts of odd beliefs.
Oh, sorry if you misunderstood me, I meant to say that sharing religious beliefs in general should be censored. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh to you. Yes, the world is better off with people that have weird beliefs, it's what innovation is. However, if someone shares their idea, it could cause conflict. I don't mean to say sharing your beliefs to other people is abuse, I think that the world is better off without sharing beliefs. Whether the world is better off with people who share, or people who don't share, is such a dilemma.

If everybody just keeps to themselves, no conflict will happen. For example, AK712's world spreads it's beliefs, and you know what conflict that has caused (this thread). That's why me, and so many other people are angry towards AK712, he broke the peace.

Why are you blaming AK712? AK712's world did not cause this topic—the people posting here did. People who read this topic will either stubbornly stick to their own opinions as always, or reconsider and become wiser. I know that responding to this topic has given me joy since I've been given the chance to think out and express my opinions.
And why is this thread here? Someone got upset over AK712's world, and made a post about this. That post caused conflict. Sure, you could say it was the poster's fault, but he was just trying to spread the news, even if it was news that shouldn't spread. People have opinions that they stick to because they think it's right, be it a bad or good opinion. You don't automatically become wiser when you reconsider. Does anyone become wiser by reconsidering their opinion on ISIS?

I can't speak for everybody, but I think the community in general is better off with this topic.
I wouldn't say so. This isn't a discuss/debate forum, it's a forum for EE (which is also not a debate/discussion game), so both of these sites should have no religious content on it, unless it's in the off-topic section in the forums.

He isn't referencing to AK712's world, he's referencing to some of the replies on this thread.

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

Seriously, buckle your pants.

Wooted by:

#58 2017-12-26 23:23:50

Minimania
Moderation Team

XxAtillaxX wrote:

If religious themes are allowed to exist in worlds, as they should be, then so should worlds containing criticism of religion - simple as that.

I brought up the topic of drawing Prophet Muhammad for that very reason, and the point was entirely overlooked. It's quite a slippery slope, as anyone can make up an extremely bigoted religion promoting hatred and, when punished by a moderator, proceed to cry discrimination.

That is a good point

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#59 2017-12-31 04:07:52

soniiiety

minimania wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

That is a good point

i don't that new religion should be made, they shoudl stay like thay are but they can have their own belifes and stuff and believe in what they want , also most people are too scared, hate and silly, and angry or something else to make a new religion, hardly anyone would do it for lots of reasons

soniiiety1514689672689105

Board footer