Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-01 00:06:53

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Switching to Linux

Windows forced me to update one too many times. I wiped my hard drive and installed Linux Mint.

After a few days, I thought it was bugged and switched to Ubuntu. Then I realized I was just retarded and switched back to Mint.

I love how much control you have over nearly everything. It's also super easy to fix things when you break them, given that you can still get to the internet. Otherwise, fresh install. But even that isn't bad, since you don't have to deal with product keys.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Linux, but since I've switched my CPU hasn't been sitting at ~60%. With a few things open, it's only ~10%.

Discord: jawp#5123

#2 2017-06-01 00:26:51

LukeM
Website

Re: Switching to Linux

I don't see why so many people are against Windows updates... they are usually for really important things e.g. fixes for things like the wannaCryptor thing

About the CPU thing, I'm guessing it's at least partly because running a few things in Linux really is running a few things, not a load of other background things too, a lot of which are probably things you've installed and left 'run on startup' on

Also, from what I've heard, Linux is very good for special purpose things, like running servers etc, but not that good for your main, general purpose computer, as the GUI side of things isn't quite as good

#3 2017-06-01 00:43:47

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

How's the gaming?

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#4 2017-06-01 00:49:02

hummerz5

MrJaWapa wrote:

After a few days, I thought it was bugged and switched to Ubuntu. Then I realized I was just retarded and switched back to Mint.

hey, a fellow mint-ubuntu-mint switcher!

I, too, started with mint, opted for ubuntu. My second-ever system update for packages ended up disconnecting my drivers from my ... whatever connects to them... so my networking is basically shot because of an automated update. rip.

so what do you recommend? mint or ubuntu? :b
also pianobar ftw

#5 2017-06-01 01:19:40

Different55
Forum Admin

Tomahawk wrote:

How's the gaming?

Depends. If you're looking to game (and have a recent AMD card or any Nvidia card) it's fantastic. If you're looking for a specific game you're not going to have as good a time. Overall, Linux only has around 25% of Window's library on Steam. On average though, the games on Linux are a little better quality. 45% of the top 100 most played games on Steam are available on Linux. That's a lot of fantastic titles, you'll never be without a good game to play, but you'll be missing out on Windows exclusives like Overwatch or GTA V. Those are only just starting to become playable through WINE.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#6 2017-06-01 01:30:45, last edited by mrjawapa (2017-06-01 01:33:53)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

How's the gaming?

It's fine. I can't tell any difference.

hummerz5 wrote:

so what do you recommend? mint or ubuntu? :b

They seem to be almost the same. If I'm not mistaken, Mint is build on top of Ubuntu.

destroyer123 wrote:

they are usually for really important things e.g. fixes for things like the wannaCryptor thing

I'm not against security updates. I'm against the forceful installment of **** that I don't want.
EDIT: Oh, and the constant pop-ups more-or-less saying "DOWNLOAD THIS"

#7 2017-06-01 01:46:03

XxAtillaxX

I've never had a good experience with using Linux as a desktop OS, despite having quite a bit of experience with it for server use, and other fairly technical stuff.

I heavily dislike the UI experience, the vast majority of WMs are horrendously ugly from what I've observed, there's nothing decent out of the box.
The only remotely usable experience is with i3wm or similar, because the majority of the applications with a GUI are buggy and terribly slow.

It's not just hardware either, I've attempted the migration with a handful of systems, along with distros, over the years, most recently a month ago.
t isn't happening, it's not to the point of replacing the user-friendly and stable non-buggy experience you get from Windows operating systems.
This is why the Windows operating system is still heavily successful, not just because most decent software is available for it. If it were usable, it'd see a larger market share.

For now, I'm sticking to Windows 8.1 with updates disabled. I have absolutely no issues.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#8 2017-06-01 02:41:57

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Huh, so I started a python script for visualizing music to some LEDs...

On windows, the script would always say there was something playing, even if there wasn't. It would pick up a high pitched noise from somewhere (on two different computers also). On Linux, that doesn't happen.

#9 2017-06-01 03:28:43

Different55
Forum Admin

XxAtillaxX wrote:

The only remotely usable experience is with i3wm

of course you'd pick the biggest meme of a tiling wm that's so disgustingly minimal it doesn't actually look like hardly anything at all. For reference, he's saying that that desktop is better than any other default desktop available for Linux.
opinion = discarded

XxAtillaxX wrote:

the majority of the applications with a GUI are buggy and terribly slow.

[citation needed]
[opinion discarded]

XxAtillaxX wrote:

the user-friendly and stable non-buggy experience you get from Windows operating systems.

Yeah, you never have bugs in Windows. Not a single, solitary bug. Ever. Nope, nothing but high quality, bug-free software coming out of Microsoft.
opinion discarded

XxAtillaxX wrote:

sticking to Windows 8.1 with updates disabled

OPINION DISCARDED

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (3)

#10 2017-06-01 04:14:24

HeyNK

XxAtillaxX wrote:

For now, I'm sticking to Windows 8.1 with updates disabled.

I am so disappointed... EE's resident pro h4cker uses the most boring operating system... I was hoping you'd at least say win 7 or win XP if you were going even going to go with windows.

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2017-06-01 04:29:15

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

I think you broke diff

#12 2017-06-01 04:41:57

Different55
Forum Admin

MrJaWapa wrote:

I think you broke diff

Diff's just a little triggered he'll be fine

- ShinsukeIto

#13 2017-06-01 05:12:16

XxAtillaxX

Different55 wrote:
MrJaWapa wrote:

I think you broke diff

Diff's just a little triggered he'll be fine

I have nothing against Linux and I advocate for the core philosophy of it.

I'm merely stating that Windows is much more satisfactory as a desktop OS than every distro I've tried.
The only remotely usable thing is the terminal - which seems to be the only thing developed competently.

Don't take it so personally, there's a reason why so many people dislike Linux as their primary OS.
>REEEEEEEEEeeee >>wine<< >>>>RUNNING GAMES IN WINE<<<< OPINION DISCARDED.

In addition, I'm very well aware of the exploit and it was patched before the malware even spread.
I hope you haven't forgotten the impact of heartbleed and OpenSSL.

I'd very much like to move away from a proprietary OS however the current state of mainstream Linux distros is unusable outside development.
And you know what the saddest part of it all is? Microsoft Visual Studio is quite literally and objectively the best IDE that exists, by far. Seriously. Pathetic on the part of the open-source community.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#14 2017-06-01 05:42:57, last edited by Different55 (2017-06-01 05:53:20)

Different55
Forum Admin

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I hope you haven't forgotten the impact of heartbleed and OpenSSL.

Which was fixed in a timely manner, not left with workable exploits running in the wild for months without a word, and didn't impact desktop users at all.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Don't take it so personally

But it's more fun that way.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I'd very much like to move away from a proprietary OS however the current state of mainstream Linux distros is unusable outside development.

Maybe if you only tried Arch Linux. There are other distros out there that work just fine for humans. Honestly your choice of i3 (a WM targeted specifically at advanced users and developers) as the most attractive and usable WM OOTB on Linux speaks volumes. I think you might have screwed yourself over trying linux out if you somehow came to that conclusion.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

And you know what the saddest part of it all is? Microsoft Visual Studio is quite literally and objectively the best IDE that exists, by far. Seriously. Pathetic on the part of the open-source community.

Microsoft Visual Studio doesn't make you cool. Using emacs in a TTY with a 1337 green/black color scheme makes you cool. And also gets you kicked out of a lot of internet cafes.

- ShinsukeIto

#15 2017-06-01 06:24:02

XxAtillaxX

Different55 wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

Maybe if you only tried Arch Linux. There are other distros out there that work just fine for humans. Honestly your choice of i3 (a WM targeted specifically at advanced users and developers) as the most attractive and usable WM OOTB on Linux speaks volumes. I think you might have screwed yourself over trying linux out if you somehow came to that conclusion.

I didn't only try Arch Linux, I tried a large variety of distros and window managers.

I've never found anything remotely close to the responsiveness and aesthetics.
Why is it that the majority of distros uses **** options like MATE and cinnamon and on top of that, GTK.

I wish the desktop environment was as fluid and seamless as Android, but it isn't there, and isn't even remotely close.
It's almost as if every distro clings to the 1970s mainframe Linux aspires to be and doesn't give a **** about a users experience.

Different55 wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

Microsoft Visual Studio doesn't make you cool. Using emacs in a TTY with a 1337 green/black color scheme makes you cool. And also gets you kicked out of a lot of internet cafes.

I don't really have anything against the terminal, but I'm incredibly disappointed at the lack of a IDE with quality comparable to Visual Studio - for an open-source community that seems like a complete and total failure.
I would have sacrificed my UI experience with Windows, if only Linux had a good IDE. I've tried them all.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#16 2017-06-01 06:45:53

Different55
Forum Admin

XxAtillaxX wrote:

It's almost as if every distro clings to the 1970s mainframe Linux aspires to be and doesn't give a **** about a users experience.

Never tried Pantheon (elementary OS) or Budgie (Solus)? Solus in particular has been making big progress as far as desktop usability.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#17 2017-06-01 07:52:04

Priddle

The thing I love about linux is that you can update without having to look at a stupid monotone-colored background with a windows-like fidget spinner derping around all the time.
In linux you can actually keep working on your stuff and you decide when the machine restarts to finish the update.

I myself are very used to windows, that's why I'm still using it. Some applications I use aren't even available on linux, so
I'd be happy to see software developers focusing more on linux-based software in the future.

I am using windows 7 right now, switching to windows 10 or linux depending on software compatibility.

#18 2017-06-01 11:40:34

LukeM
Website

IMO Windows and Linux both are very good at what they do, but are for slightly different things, Windows is made for ease of use, so comes with a lot of other software you might need, and forces updates on you because otherwise nobody would actually bother with updating, while Linux was made for low end computers, so is very efficient at what it does, even if the ease of use of an inbuilt GUI is sacrificed so that it can be used for a much wider range of things, from £5 Raspberry Pis to £10000 servers and still run just as well
Maybe in a few years when the Linux gui is as easy to use as the Windows gui then I might move to Linux, but right now, the Windows gui has been developed for longer, every update bringing slight improvements, so is just easier to use

#19 2017-06-01 13:22:57

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

NVD wrote:

windows-like fidget spinner derping around all the time.

it bothers me that the dots do not disappear/reappear in the very center.

Hidden text

Wooted by: (3)

#20 2017-06-07 00:11:19

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

bump

I've ran into a problem. I can't use photoshop //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad(((

I don't know how to use GIMP, and gave up after 5 mins of trying.

Guess I'm shelling out $200 to get windows 10 back.

Wooted by:

#21 2017-06-07 03:59:49

Different55
Forum Admin

GIMP is garbage, Krita is new king.

Also when I needed photoshop and couldn't stand windows anymore I just ran windows in a VM. Made it a lot more tolerable, although it still loved to restart every time I took a 15 minute break. At least the whole computer didn't become unusable during those times though.

- ShinsukeIto

#22 2017-06-07 22:41:54

Mieaz

I prefer anything but win 10, I have it installed on comp just in case it gets over-mainstream in future

MrJaWapa wrote:

I heard there's a way to get legal win 10, maybe if you crack win 7 you can "upgrade" for free but idk I'm not into that stuff, and I heard about that last year around this date so..

also I agree gimp is dysfunctional, and, if you do different kinds of art/editing it'd be good to use multiple programs (like: one time you draw realistic graphics, and other time you draw pixelated ee blocks)

ee & eeforums gibs me depression

#23 2017-06-07 23:10:03, last edited by LukeM (2017-06-07 23:10:59)

LukeM
Website

Mieaz wrote:

I heard there's a way to get legal win 10, maybe if you crack win 7 you can "upgrade" for free but idk I'm not into that stuff, and I heard about that last year around this date so..

There will never be a way to legally get a new paid for operating system for free. With that sort of thing, it's more of a question of whether they can catch you. There was a limited time offer (idk if it's still running) where you could upgrade a previously installed version of Windows 7/8 but if you are going to Windows from Linux, you wouldn't be able to do this without illegally installing a copy of Windows 7/8 first

#24 2017-06-08 20:16:16, last edited by AlphaJon (2017-06-08 20:19:03)

AlphaJon

MrJaWapa wrote:

You can still get windows 10 for free. It is intended for people using assistive technologies, but you can still get it because they don't actually check. Once installed it is just a regular windows 10.

EDIT: it looks like this is just an upgrade from win7/win8.1.
If your computer had win7/8/10 pre-installed, you should be able to reinstall it using the product key that came with the computer.

Wooted by:

#25 2017-06-08 23:06:53, last edited by mrjawapa (2017-06-09 04:48:54)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

It was a joke.

If I wanted to get windows back I'd just restore my computer to factory.
nvm I'm an idiot. I cleared my HDD,

mrjawapa1496959613663353

Board footer