Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-25 22:58:11, last edited by Swarth100 (2016-10-25 23:06:42)

Swarth100

Role of Universities when applying to jobs

Hello gentlemen and gentlemen,

Today I found myself thinking a lot about the role Universities play/can play when it comes to being employed.
How much does our background formation influece employability?
How much should it be put contrast to what we actually know?
With our tuition fees are we paying for knowledge or for the University's name on a piece of paper?

- - - - - -

Personally I believe that coming from a certain background does influence a company's first impression of you. When it comes to just comparing CVs it's those names that stand out most. I do feel guilty, but I do now realise, whilst applying for Summer internships, that I really want my Uni's name to stand out, hoping that in some way it might make a difference should I get compared to others with the same knowledge. I also feel like my Tuition Fees are being put forward towards a document saying that "So and So graduated from Such University which happens to be in the Top X of such List", pretty much regardless of what I might actually know in the end.

But please, please let me hear your opinions about such subject!

#2 2016-10-26 03:22:18

Koya
Fabulous Member

Re: Role of Universities when applying to jobs

It depends on the type of job - generally anything in the sciences you need to have a university degree in, creative fields you generally don't need to (a portfolio is more important than a degree, you can compile a portfolio while in university).

Going to uni is never a bad thing as far as getting a job-wise; but you shouldn't despair if you don't get in or can't do it.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Koya1477448538631519

Board footer