Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-17 09:46:14, last edited by Kira (2015-10-17 09:54:37)

Kira

Can we stop being so strict...?

1 Month ago I got banned because I did an "offensive" meme. (It was sarcasm)
Today I got banned because I did a false report.

It's a flash game, and you guys are taking this too seriously. The ban option shouldn't be implemented in EE tbh.

Also, despite what you think I don't really care being banned, just saying that *cough* some guardians *cough* are being way too strict for a 2D sandbox flash game.

I already have experience with this kind of stuff. In Platform racing 2 for exemple. You get banned 1 year just by a "bad word"

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2015-10-17 09:52:07

Nebula

Re: Can we stop being so strict...?

I never got been banned...

#3 2015-10-17 10:03:59

Minimania
Moderation Team

Kira wrote:

I already have experience with this kind of stuff. In Platform racing 2 for exemple. You get banned 1 year just by a "bad word"

Platform Racing 2 is dead, so of course it isn't strict.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#4 2015-10-17 10:23:08

Thomas

You can also think a little more before you do something. Will it get me banned? if yes, don't do it. if no, you can do it. Remember that this is a game played by all ages, something not offensive for you can be very offenive for someone else.

Please, call me Thomas.

eggplant

#5 2015-10-17 10:24:27, last edited by Br0k3n (2015-10-17 10:26:31)

Br0k3n

Kira wrote:

In Platform racing 2 for example. You get banned 1 year just by a "bad word"

I never got banned for saying a bad word in pr2 and i say bad words a lot. You just get warnings and you're banned from the chat for at least 30 seconds.

?type=online&name=br0k3n ?type=lastlogin&name=br0k3n ?type=loginstreak&name=br0k3n

76561198080960604.png

#6 2015-10-17 10:34:01

Kira

Br0k3n wrote:
Kira wrote:

In Platform racing 2 for example. You get banned 1 year just by a "bad word"

I never got banned for saying a bad word in pr2 and i say bad words a lot. You just get warnings and you're banned from the chat for at least 30 seconds.

I got banned 1 year for saying I was going to ****

Thomas wrote:

You can also think a little more before you do something. Will it get me banned? if yes, don't do it. if no, you can do it. Remember that this is a game played by all ages, something not offensive for you can be very offenive for someone else.

How is a false report bannable? The staff just has to look over it and delete the report, they wasted 5 seconds of their life doing that, woah..

minimania wrote:

Platform Racing 2 is dead, so of course it isn't strict.

I was talking about the old generation..

#7 2015-10-17 11:38:37

Thomas

Kira wrote:

How is a false report bannable? The staff just has to look over it and delete the report, they wasted 5 seconds of their life doing that, woah..

http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=30633

5669143.png

I don't know what your report was about, but if it was an obvious spam you should've known you would be banned.

Please, call me Thomas.

eggplant

Wooted by:

#8 2015-10-17 11:45:15, last edited by rgl32 (2015-10-17 11:48:17)

rgl32

Kira wrote:

What thomas said, that forum post was a blog post too right here. So it wasn't just something on the forums
Edit: Dang it thomas, we said the same things.

#9 2015-10-17 11:48:00

Kira

Doesn't mean you should ban.
There's already usefull commands for harassment / spam which is mute, doesn't solve anything.

Banning is meaningless

Wooted by:

#10 2015-10-17 11:54:42, last edited by Different55 (2015-10-17 12:08:15)

Different55
Forum Admin

Kira wrote:

Nope nope nope nope. What I'm hearing here is that you don't value the time and energy that the mods put into cleaning up the constant mess that is EE. They aren't getting paid to do it, they're doing it totally for free. And as Thomas showed, if everyone shares your attitude on false reports then the mods will suddenly find themselves fighting against a flood of spam reports. And they do. False reports should totally be a warnable offense. Sooner or later these nubs are going to get it through their heads that it's not nice to waste the time of the people trying to make the game a better place. Even worse if you KNOW you shouldn't spam report. It's not unreasonable.

Kira wrote:

There's already usefull commands for harassment / spam which is mute, doesn't solve anything.

Banning is meaningless

No, it's pretty clearly doing its job. Here you are, complaining about being banned. You've lost access to your account now. I'm assuming you don't like that very much. I'm assuming you want it back, and don't want to lose it again. I'm also assuming most people are like that when they get banned. FORTUNATELY IVE GOT JUST THE THING FOR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE ACROSS THE  INTERNET WHEREVER BANS ARE USED AND IT'S CALLED following the rules. Negative reinforcement works. It won't stop people whose sole purpose in life is to break rules. Those people can create a constant stream of new accounts until they're IP banned or whatever. But it'll stop the people like us who have invested time into their accounts. People like us can't just create a new account. I mean, isn't that why you're here? Because you don't like being banned? If so I'd say the bans system is working pretty well. It's job is to make you hate it.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#11 2015-10-17 12:16:18

Kira

Different55 wrote:
Kira wrote:

Nope nope nope nope. What I'm hearing here is that you don't value the time and energy that the mods put into cleaning up the constant mess that is EE. They aren't getting paid to do it, they're doing it totally for free. And as Thomas showed, if everyone shares your attitude on false reports then the mods will suddenly find themselves fighting against a flood of spam reports. And they do. False reports should totally be a warnable offense. Sooner or later these nubs are going to get it through their heads that it's not nice to waste the time of the people trying to make the game a better place. Even worse if you KNOW you shouldn't spam report. It's not unreasonable.

Kira wrote:

Banning is meaningless

No, it's pretty clearly doing its job. Here you are, complaining about being banned. You've lost access to your account now. I'm assuming you don't like that very much. I'm assuming you want it back, and don't want to lose it again. I'm also assuming most people are like that when they get banned. FORTUNATELY IVE GOT JUST THE THING FOR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE ACROSS THE  INTERNET WHEREVER BANS ARE USED AND IT'S CALLED following the rules. Negative reinforcement works. It won't stop people whose sole purpose in life is to break rules. Those people can create a constant stream of new accounts until they're IP banned or whatever. But it'll stop the people like us who have invested time into their accounts. People like us can't just create a new account. I mean, isn't that why you're here? Because you don't like being banned? If so I'd say the bans system is working pretty well. It's job is to make you hate it.

"Also, despite what you think I don't really care being banned"

That's not called complaining though. I'm just talking about the banning system. To be honest even the forums bans are totally bs. I remember when I got banned by saying "dope".
Following the rules? I'm totally following the rules, i'm just talking about how bad the rules are actually. Being banned for doing a false report is total non-sense, also, being banned for saying 2, 3 bad words is also non-sense.

#12 2015-10-17 12:39:02, last edited by Different55 (2015-10-17 12:43:10)

Different55
Forum Admin

Kira wrote:
Different55 wrote:
Kira wrote:

Kira wrote:

Banning is meaningless

"Also, despite what you think I don't really care being banned"

That's not called complaining though. I'm just talking about the banning system. To be honest even the forums bans are totally bs. I remember when I got banned by saying "dope".

Well obviously the word dope is so horrible we have to ban everyone for even daring to think of it. pls. You were banned because that post said dope and nothing more. That was your whole post right there. Posts like that were like half the reason woots were invented, so the forums didn't have tons of posts that merely agreed with another one without contributing to the discussion itself. The fail forums are going through a bit of a problem with that now, actually. A few nubs joined with the idea in their head that it was a spam forum and now its flooded with mindless posts like " dope" and its just pretty bad. Don't tell anyone else but I may have cried myself to sleep a few times over the spamhole it was for a while.

no not really but it did suck

Following the rules? I'm totally following the rules,

I mean you kind of aren't but okay :P

i'm just talking about how bad the rules are actually. Being banned for doing a false report is total non-sense, also, being banned for saying 2, 3 bad words is also non-sense.

Noooooo. Holy crap go back and read my post. Then go back and look at Thomas's post and tell me with a straight face that false reports aren't a problem. False reports aren't just 5 seconds of the mod's time. It's the majority of their time. And all you're doing is adding on to the pile. It's not a nice thing to do to treat the people who are trying to make the game a better place like that. If you're going to waste their time you totally deserve a ban. The same goes on the forums. Even though for us it's not a huge problem, it's disrespectful in a huge way. It's disrespectful of the time we put into our respective areas. Suggesting changes to rules is great. Awesome. Things can't improve if they stay the same as they are forever. But saying false reports shouldn't be warnable is absolute crap. Same goes for the ban system.

And I have a question about that last part, "also, being banned for saying 2, 3 bad words is also non-sense."
Was that recent? and was it like a censor evasion thing or did you have the censors off and it wasnt evading the censors but you still got banned for it? Because I'm going to agree with you there. If the censors can be disabled you should only be warned for that if you're evading the censor for other people who have it turned on for some reason.

- ShinsukeIto

#13 2015-10-17 12:47:57

Kira

I understand what you're trying to say. But obviously, like I said before the rules need some changes. My report was a joke toward Master1, and I get banned by Jawapa. That's mainly the reason why I said the guardians has to be less strict.
But you're totally right on most parts, and I agree with you.

I wasn't trying to waste their times, more like the contrary. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

#14 2015-10-17 13:01:34

Different55
Forum Admin

Kira wrote:

I understand what you're trying to say. But obviously, like I said before the rules need some changes. My report was a joke toward Master1, and I get banned by Jawapa. That's mainly the reason why I said the guardians has to be less strict.

Oh. Hm. Well I mean I do love a good modmessage report now and then but usually only when it's with an actual report too.
See, now we're in that weird hazy gray area. Well, I am at least. I guess you've been hanging out here the whole time. I don't really like it too much. When you hang out here a lot what happens to you really depends more on chance than anything else and that's not too great.

- ShinsukeIto

#15 2015-10-17 13:15:06

Arber

rudik3000 wrote:

I never got been banned...

rudik3000 wrote:

I never got been banned in a 1 year.

afp.gif

Wooted by: (5)

#16 2015-10-17 13:37:34

Aoitenshi

You don't **** with the report button.

#17 2015-10-17 13:46:39

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Spam reports are not taken kindly.  I don't care if they are a joke or not.  Strict?  I don't think so.  It's not a hard rule to follow, really.

Discord: jawp#5123

#18 2015-10-17 14:29:04

Creature

Yay! Let's take off ban system and make EE anarchy!

This is a false statement.

Wooted by: (4)

#19 2015-10-17 14:31:04

Anak

Reporting isn't for having a conversation with the staff, it's for reporting people

#20 2015-10-17 14:47:50

hummerz5

I can understand how spam reports could be an issue. But if they truly take five seconds to resolve, what is the problem?

If duplicates are filtered out already, good deal. Then consider reports by the same person in a short period of time. Group those as an incident.  Suddenly, time!

Now those spam ones. If they take 5-10 seconds to click "open" and "spam" (that's pretty slow m8)... you're not out too much. Sure, it'll add up. I imagine it's not fun. But in the grand scheme of things, if you really are reviewing legitimate reports extensively, these 5-10 seconds are pennies to a valid report with reasonable time/work input.

How about give users a behind-the-scenes report rating? If they're marked for spam 10 times, maybe they have slightly less priority. (Sure, you could argue that's an invalid system, but I'd consider it on the same level as banning someone for using the report function. Tbh, I would be tempted to spam it a few times, but I'm not playing EE like I used to.)

#21 2015-10-17 15:09:11, last edited by Master1 (2015-10-17 15:13:26)

Master1

Yes, a spam report takes 5 seconds to deal with, but when you start including ALL the spam reports that time adds up like crazy. 90% of the reports we receive are spam. Each day I waste like 20 minutes marking stupid stuff as spam.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

Wooted by:

#22 2015-10-17 15:14:29

Evilbunny

Oh good, we needed some drama, it's been quiet lately.
There are very few rules that you are in danger of breaking, and if you can't even follow those then you deserve to be banned.
Don't harass random people and you will be fine, it's really not that difficult.
As for the report tool, only use it when you are being harassed. Not when jimbob04 called you a noob and said you are bad at his minis.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#23 2015-10-17 17:26:32

hummerz5

Master1 wrote:

Yes, a spam report takes 5 seconds to deal with, but when you start including ALL the spam reports that time adds up like crazy. 90% of the reports we receive are spam. Each day I waste like 20 minutes marking stupid stuff as spam.

Alright, how about a response PM (since apparently we now have that system) outlining what is considered proper reporting? If you ban someone out of the blue, will they even understand what they did wrong?

Wooted by:

#24 2015-10-17 20:02:34

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Warnings were tossed when they proved to be pointless.

Everyone was given a warning when we made the forum post, the blog post, and the news pop up.

Discord: jawp#5123

#25 2015-10-17 20:11:20

Prodigy

OH finally we get some more attention with this topic

h0qIF0q.png

Hostage1445162686550860

Board footer