Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

BadFurDay

[Hard!] Speedjumps challenge

I've been perfecting this level for two straight days, and feel that the challenge is just right and ready to share, as of now.
The concept of this level is that of a rather hard jumping challenge, made of 13 major jumps. Each of these jumps require pure speed: as in, you must never ever stop moving during a jump, and timing being the key to success.

There are a couple small practice jumps aswell, each time a new "concept" is introduced on the map, so that the players can get to know these before facing them in an actual jump.
No stairs here, no E jumps, no annoying dot stuff, or challenges that are more tediously annoying than hard. It's all about keeping your speed and having fun! And don't worry if you ragequit, you're not alone! About 90% players do that before they even beat the first jump //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Be warned though, some people are simply unable to try the challenge. Many computers experience lag on EE. You can tell you have some if the jumping actually happens a slight moment after you press the space key, and not just on time. Those who experience this shouldn't bother playing my level, as it'll get more frustrating than fun. For example, I can finish it in about 40 minutes on my laptop, but I can't go past jump 3 on my desktop computer, as hard as I try.

Here's the level link: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWygAAAA

I should keep it online for about a month, I guess.

I won't be hosting it much, if at all. So thanks to whoever plays it as it'll put it on the map list for that long.

Minimap:

wJu3u.jpg

The general look/feel/theme of the level:

vTkX9.jpg

Part of jump 7:

7xTUt.jpg

Jump 11's platform crossing:

fHaY9.jpg

Final jump's speedy gravity switch - it's one of those things you just HAVE to experience, seriously.

dbNLg.jpg

Enjoy!

Any feedback is welcome, I take criticism and am ready to do changes to the level if needed. And remember, don't stop moving, the key to this level is SPEED!

#2 Before February 2015

ThArGos

Re: [Hard!] Speedjumps challenge

I just want to say that it's an overall well adjusted map with many nice jumps and the jump #13 is really a thrilling experience! The gravity is exploited to its best.

I agree that some skill/stubbornness is required but it worths it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile.

Cheers!

#3 Before February 2015

Alex

Superb level, friend.

The first challenge is well balanced between challenging and easy.
I also think it's amazing that you created a challenge based level that wasn't minigames, as each puzzle has a similar theme, it's one game with increasing difficulty, well done.

#4 Before February 2015

Cola1

Man I like those gravity switch jumps!

Great, awesome, omega, super, (all positive things) i.e Great Job

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#5 Before February 2015

BadFurDay

Thanks to all three of you //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
Out of curiosity, how far in did you manage to go?

#6 Before February 2015

mustang

I got booted from your map twice so I was not able to finish it, however I will comment on what I was able to play.

You have a great concept, and for those without lag I'm sure it's incredibly enjoyable to play. However, many of the players in EE do have some amount of lag, and lag as you know causes the edges of blocks to act "rounded", making edge jumps inconsistent and extremely precise for such players. I am one of those laggy players, and while I know how to play through the lag unfortunately many others cannot do so.

So by adding in numerous edge jumps, you ensured that a large portion of EE players (novices and experts alike) would not have the same experience on this map as those with little to no lag. IMO a far better design would have only used a few edge jumps but have maintained proper platform spacing to still force the player to keep running. That way you wouldn't have this fairly significant problem as even you admitted you have in the original post.

Again, I want to stress I enjoy the concept greatly, it's far superior to most of the minigames/stairs maps that overpopulate the worlds list, but I just feel there was much wasted potential by needlessly using too many edge jumps and thereby alienating those with lag. Hopefully one day this desync issue caused by the lag is fixed, but until then all creators should try to build around it as much as possible.

#7 Before February 2015

BadFurDay

Sadly, rounding out the jumps makes it possible to stop on each platform and reach the next one. Most are just one or two tiles away from being reachable, adding tiles would ruin the difficulty level / concept of the level.
I had to do this level keeping in mind that a lot of people wouldn't be able to enjoy it - me on my home computer included. Hopefully it provides a great enough experience to those who do, and that lag problem gets looked on seriously someday.

#8 Before February 2015

mustang

^ That's not true. If you shortened the platforms to say only 3 or so blocks each, then you could set the distance between platforms just right so that only a full speed jump will work without needing it to be an edge jump, and since the platforms are small it wouldn't be possible to stop and go.

You could alternatively extend the platforms to 4 or 5 blocks total (using whatever size was needed based on the situation) and place a dot on the last one while making the ceiling only 5 blocks high (just enough to fit a standard jump). This would effectively give the players extra room to jump from but not give them too much due to the dot. The low ceiling stops the plays from cheating by stopping on the platform and holding up to get an extra boost from the dot.

I have personally experimented with both of those setups and developed jumps that were not as precise but still prevented the players from stopping.

So my point is it's possible, it just takes times to develop it correctly but IMO that's something you should consider for the future to build a truly successful map that most players can enjoy.

#9 Before February 2015

BadFurDay

Hm, that's indeed an idea to follow.
It'd require a totally different setup though, I'll consider that for my next map(s) //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

BadFurDay 1423775940185492

Board footer