Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-09 21:39:29, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-13 03:59:11)

Minisaurus
Banned

EE potential - What is actually EE

EE in difference to other popular (much more popular) platform games, it does not has any kind of representative character.
For example, SMB having mario, SMB having meat boy, IWBTG having the "Guy", Megaman having Megaman, Minecraft having Steve, etc. I can´t remember a single successful platform game that does not have a main character.

There are games that are role-playing that does not have main characters, such as dauntless, Dragonfable, runescape, etc. You choose and customize your own character, and switch it whenever you want, those characters usually has a behind-scene story to tell, called quests, you develop your character doing those missions. Those games have iconic NPC characters that do the job to give recognizable characters for the game.

Other games that do have recognizable main characters, such as Dota, Fornite, team fortress, those don´t have "quest" and develops simply as character you can choose to fight without quests or missions, but even so, those characters has behind scene stories the developers placed in youtube, social media or in-game.

But there is also games that does not have a recognizable main character, and does not have quests either, For example for this you have many crappy mobile games, those are a good example of this, even without having story or a representative character, the many characters those games has are used to represent the game, for example angry birds, there is no a "main character" but we understand the red bird as the main character of the game; Crossy Road does not has a main character or quests, but the chicken is used to represent the game. Etc.

EE game fits in a category where there is no quests, (Discard campaigns, those are just collections of maps), It does not has a story mode, the characters in-game do not have any behind-scene story to tell, there is no iconic NPCs to represent the game either, just you and the world with other players in it. The game is based on building on your own creative way, using the available NPC or using signs to tell a story and create your own "quests", and you can equip whatever available smiley you have, you chat, and all start with the tutorial map, etc.
The games I can recall that fits in EE category is Habbo Hotel, Second Life, club penguin, etc.
Those games does not have any recognizable main character, and does not have either a true story to tell, is just you and a bunch of missions (if any) that are not connected to anywhere with your character. There is currency to spend in your character and buy new stuff in a shop (or many shops) and you most of the time chat with other players or simply play alone.
Lets call those games "Chat room Games"
But in differnce to second life and habbo hotel and any other chat room game, EE has something those other games don´t, it is a platform game specialized in building worlds, nothing else, it does not has tons of alternative ways to enjoy the game, it is a single focused use for the game, to build worlds and play them, that is the purpose of the game, no quests as you create your own quests for you, your friends and other players.
As I see it, there won´t be any recognizable main character for EE, there won´t be quests for EE, and there won´t be recognizable NPCs in EE, never. That is how Chat room games work.

But that does not stop EE from introducing new modes of game-play, to potency even more the building worlds, for example, battle systems (Enemy NPC, attack mechanics, health mechanics, etc) or even specialized "zones" can introduce new ways to play the game.

In conclusion, I consider EE a non-ending game without a story to tell, it allow to tell your own stories, and be whatever character you want. A chat-room game with room to a lot of improvements and new mechanics.
Having such freedom might be a bless or a curse for EE, or both.

Other kind of kid-industry that is in a similar situation than EE, we have as example Lego, barbie (Barbie is mostly a name of a "race" of dolls builded with similar facial features rather than a single specific doll), those brands made films and games that shows the true potential of this freedom, these are most famous for their ability to shape-morph, to be whatever they want to be, barbie for example can be a princess, a warrior or even a mermaid whenever wanted, and in other example Lego can be spiderman, lord of the rings or be in whatever other movie it want to be. Those can be extended to differend mediums, movies, games, table games, toys, even furniture or cosmetics, etc.

And as so is EE, as other games has multiple tags, EE do have multiple tags too, EE is a "Chat-room", a "Platform-game" and at the same time it is a "Story-teller" game, it can be used to tell whatever story you want, such as barbie and lego, it has the ability to shape-morph it´s style to whatever it want to be.
Barbie uses stylish dolls, Lego uses building toys, and EE uses Smileys, those are three mediums that allow the kid to be creative and create their own stories, smileys are the most recent concept and has been used by the major internet community, so it is a very popular concept.

EE potential is in that direction of full control of morph-shaping, to be a successful chat-room game and at the same time to be a successful platform game, EE has truly reimagined the way platform games can be played online.
It has been going under the radar and is most the staff fault, for being too conservative, or being not creative enough, or not being fast enough, or not having the resources.
I don´t expect the staff to start to exploit EE´s true potential, the staff is small and they have limited resources to do so.
But they can still use part of its potential to make EE a very successful game and I look forward for it.

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2020-09-09 21:44:26, last edited by icepegasus (2020-09-09 21:45:16)

icepegasus

Re: EE potential - What is actually EE

**** are you talking about?
"Steve" is the main character of minecraft the same way as "Smiley" is the main character of EE.
Now you have different skins in MC like "Alex" and custom user-made skins. The same way in EE where you have different skins such as "Devil", "Bee", etc..

user.php?id=icepegasus

#3 2020-09-09 21:49:04, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-09 22:26:12)

Minisaurus
Banned

icepegasus wrote:

"Smiley" is the main character of EE.

Good guess, I like that smiley too, but it is not in any way the main character of EE, you started in 2009-2010 with many (Facebook) smileys to select, you can customize from those starting with default "smiley" as you do in every existant game in the internet, you can´t start with literally no character, so default character does not mean main character.

There is no main character for EE.

Wooted by:

#4 2020-09-09 22:05:38

Kkay
Formerly Kaydog99

Minisaurus is like the EE version of a Greek philosopher

#5 2020-09-09 22:06:01

icepegasus

Actually no, I don't recall having a smiley selection in the first version of EE (or EE offline if you prefer, before playerIO came in the picture)

user.php?id=icepegasus

#6 2020-09-09 22:37:24, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-09 22:53:14)

Minisaurus
Banned

icepegasus wrote:

I don't recall having a smiley selection in the first version of EE

Even when EE wasn´t even EE (It was actually called Flixel Walker to then be called Multiplayer Platformworld and finally be called EveryBody Edits) there was other smileys in the game

This was the smiley that Benjaminsen used as thumbnail for the game: W8pZ9bw.png

Previous versions wasn´t EE, Platformworld and Flixel Walker were only tests
So giving a good guess I can ensure that there was multiple smileys to select when EE born as we know it today.

#7 2020-09-09 23:07:27

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

n8apr2B.png

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#8 2020-09-10 05:38:45

AllenCaspe9510
Website

Minisaurus for EE lawyer

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#9 2020-09-10 11:36:32

Edilights
Website

Minisaurus wrote:

EE in difference to other popular (much more popular) platform games, it does not has any kind of representative character. I can´t remember a single successful platform game that does not have a main character.

In fact , you can remember some games or platforms without a main character and were popular . For those examples are : Inkagames , there are many games but without a self character except Jigsaw and Mr. Pig .
Bonk.io 2 has a large community , it began to grow as popularity without a character . Realm of the Mad God(Exalt) haven't the main protagonists and it have a antagonist (Oryx the Mad God ) .   
Animation Throwdown is the only game which doesn't have a own ego character .
In the Aftermath : Everybody Edits (/Universe/) can be successful without a own character but we have the representative thing .
The EE smiley!!! "" //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile ""

#10 2020-09-10 13:14:24

Andymakeer

i agree with minisaurus tho

even if you consider "smiley" as EE icon, things like silhouette, color pallete and uniqueness are definitely lacking

F

#11 2020-09-10 13:15:10, last edited by mutantdevle (2020-09-10 13:21:05)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I don't think EE really needs a main character/mascot. It just helps in marketing if your game/whatever has something recognisable and iconic to represent it. EE already has that in the form of smileys.

If you take Among Us for example, it has no main character. But the sprites you use to play as are still recognisable. This example is not a platformer, but I really don't think platformers are somehow different from other games in terms of what is required from the marketing to make them popular. If you want a successful platforming game without a main character, Platform Racing 2 was once a good example of that. In fact, in a similar vein, I'd argue that EE itself was very successful back in its prime and it never needed a main character to achieve that.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#12 2020-09-10 16:00:09

Grilyon2

Minisaurus wrote:

and there won´t be recognizable NPCs in EE, never.

cWyNkED.png

#13 2020-09-10 20:57:13, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-10 21:03:33)

Minisaurus
Banned

Grilyon2 wrote:
Minisaurus wrote:

and there won´t be recognizable NPCs in EE, never.

https://i.imgur.com/cWyNkED.png

I catch the irony there,
The most representative NPC of EE (used in many worlds instead of actual NPCs because of the charm it has) is actually recognizable because it was from Mario franchise
Still I see potential to have blocks with faces, gives the player an alternative way to interact with the world
I think Mario didn´t had the need to use faces in their blocks as actual NPCs, those were for Mario just other graphic for blocks, nothing else, so EE could explore the use of them in that new direction rather than the actual block (the concept of a morphable face placed in a block to represent a NPC)

#14 2020-09-10 21:29:17

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

The "NPC" that’s superior to all of the actual npc’s. The sign block.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#15 2020-09-10 23:24:21

Lictor666

"But they can still use part of its potential to make EE a very successful game"

hey mini
still a little hope from what i see
nice
but i was thinking of something else while reading
is telling dolls have races racism ?
i don't want to make some weird dark humor of this
but like
it's a bit borderline
we could transpose that into ee with color emojis
if it worked for barbie it should for ee

#16 2020-09-11 03:02:34, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-11 03:59:31)

Minisaurus
Banned

We won´t be having ethnicities or races in EE, the base skin color for human smileys will be always yellow, it has been discussed in the community and the private staff channel.

Ethnicity: I won´t call names, but someone in the staff considered that for example black skin in EE would make people go racist against the group of players using that skin color, so we decided to keep away from adding additional skin colors for smileys for that reason.

Cultures: And also we won´t be having different races either, culture of races like native americans won´t be introduced in EE. Either, as someone in the staff (Won´t say name) considered that having indian smileys or cosmetics would make people go racist against the group of players using that cosmetics or skins related to that culture.

As far as I understand there will be exceptions, as there are cultures/races/ethnicities that are not in that category of "vulnerability" and might get into EEU, for example the french hat (beret)  (I don´t think it as a vulnerability but that is how these restrictions works basically)
Also, people from that cultures or ethnicities could get offended considering the graphics are made saritically of their races or cultures, so it is for that reason good to keep away from that, to avoid to disrespect or offend anyone accidentally

Conclusion:
Cultures might be problematic but have chances to be added to EEU (Cultural graphics, not for smileys)
So far ethnicities are the most likely to be forbidden in all cases to be added to EEU/EE for smileys because the staff considers it a risk to trigger racism.

I am afraid color for human smileys might also be restricted to only yellow even if the purpose of other color is to represent something, for example red for angry, blue for cold, green for sick, etc, those skin colors might also be restricted for EEU something I don´t agree with as I consider those changes of colors completely respectful and won´t offend anyone´s culture or ethnicity, still I am not sure if this is correct as in the staff this wasn´t really added to the discussion too much, maybe the staff still unsure about this last point.

#17 2020-09-11 05:08:44, last edited by N1KF (2020-09-11 05:43:58)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Minisaurus wrote:

We won´t be having ethnicities or races in EE, all will be always yellow, it has been discussed in the community and the private staff channel
Ethnicity: I won´t call names, but someone in the staff considered that for example black skin in EE would make people go racist against the group of players using that skin color, so we decided to keep away from adding additional skin colors for smileys for that reason.
Cultures: And also we won´t be having different races either, culture of races like native americans won´t be introduced in EE. Either cosmetics related to that cultures, as someone in the staff (Won´t say name) considered that having indian smileys or cosmetics would make people go racist against the group of players using that cosmetics or skins related to that culture.

As far as I understand there will be exceptions, as there are cultures/races/ethnicities that are not in that category of "vulnerability" and might get into EEU, for example the french hat (beret)  (I don´t think it as a vulnerability but that is how these restrictions works basically)
Also, people from that cultures or ethnicities could get offended considering the graphics are made saritically of their races or cultures, so it is for that reason good to keep away from that, to avoid to disrespect or offend anyone accidentally

So the argument is that people would "go racist" against players just because of smiley color? If the staff arent even giving players the option for different smiley colors for this reason, that means we're just surrendering to racism. There are several arguments that could be made for keeping raceless smiley colors, but this a poor one imo. The "smileys have no race" thing also doesn't hold up with the older smileys. https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/58/043_indian has a redder skin tone than generic yellow smileys, and https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/9/9b/037_angel has a lighter skin tone than normal.

What counts as a "vulnerable" race, culture, or ethnicity by this standard? Apparently Indian and Native-Americans cultures are off-limits, despite India having a higher GDP and population than France (which isn't off-limits). By intentionally excluding Indian culture we are excluding the culture of 100,000,000+ English speakers, which must include a few EE players.

EEU seems to be moving smileys to a more customizable personal avatar than stereotypical characters. So now we can have things like chef hats and sombreros without even having to attach facial expressions to them.

edit: I cut down a few assumptions and wordy parts.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#18 2020-09-11 05:51:45, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-09-11 06:26:13)

Minisaurus
Banned

There are three things when we talking about culture to be represented in a smiley:

Facial expression depiction: This is most likely to offend a culture (For example typical depictions of chinese people with small eyes or using big lips for black people, or jews with big noses, you can see many of those drawings in old posters or animations). Those are most likely to never be added to the game.

Skin color: I consider skin colors to be just ok. having smileys of whatever skin color is not (In my opinion) related to human species, I would keep quality as priority always tho, skin colors should look aesthetically good, credible, that is all what matters to me in this case.
I am not sure the staff would like to have this as a feature, is sorta redundant. (To have a skin color picker)
I think this is more appropriate and likely to be used for specific cases that are not actually related to skin color but to express/show something rather than just being a skin color. (Something: Emotions, Sensations, Reactions (Physically and/or emotionally), Artistic or Worker purpose, humanoids (Such as aliens, monsters, elves and other human-like creatures), etc)

Cosmetics added directly to the smiley base: Tattoos, haircuts, jewelry (Stones, bones, gold, wood, etc) and scars are safe in my opinion to be added, as those are more generic and are not related to specific cultures

Not about smileys:
There is few cosmetics that would not be added because of religion and culture respect. Pope and Turban for example.
There is few decorative items and blocks that would not be added because of religion and culture respect.
There is few decorative items and blocks that would not be added because of age rating of the game, Blood-items and Guns for example. (I disagree with this, only adult content should be forbidden for that reason (+18))

_

EE is pretty much in a gray situation, there are exceptions everywhere, ethnicities, cultures and religions has been added with respect and without trying to offend anyone as you mention N1KF.
I am quite sure EEU will be more restrictive (cautious) about these. Still I would like EEU to stay in that gray area as EE did.
P.S: It is for me as well very weird the way the staff decides what is racist or offensive and what is not, Xenonetix is the one with the last word as he is the owner of the game and need to keep it safe from drama, he is sorta restrictive, that has pros and cons.

#19 2020-09-11 11:15:48

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I’d 100% like to see different skin colours in EEU. If anyone is racist about it then I’ll bop them on the head with my good ole ban hammer.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#20 2020-09-11 11:51:14

Edilights
Website

Minisaurus wrote:

Xenonetix is the one with the last word as he is the owner of the game and need to keep it safe from drama, he is sorta restrictive, that has pros and cons.

That's right , but we can't stop toxic players to talking about defections on EE . EE it's actually a multiplayer game without any harmful cons or promotional pros . Skin colors don't matter at all , we need to respect each other , indifferent of etnic type , race or religion ... Xenonetix is the guard of EEU or even a well-rounded owner in each matters .

Lictor666 wrote:

is telling dolls have races racism ?

Does dolls have any nervous what you want to judge it ? Dolls aren't life tools except voodoos .

Wooted by:

#21 2020-09-11 12:15:56

Minimania
Moderation Team

mutantdevle wrote:

I’d 100% like to see different skin colours in EEU. If anyone is racist about it then I’ll bop them on the head with my good ole ban hammer.

I'm not against seeing different skin colors in EE, that'd be cool, though I'd prefer not to see in color. Though, if skin tones must come, I'd love to see some colors like green and blue and red to account for angry, cold, and space alien smileys.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#22 2020-09-11 12:33:18

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

ok but do we get different buffs depending on skin color

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#23 2020-09-11 13:20:56, last edited by mutantdevle (2020-09-11 13:27:32)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Minimania wrote:

though I'd prefer not to see in color.

To me, 'not seeing colour' isn't pretending colour doesn't exist, but rather not using skin colour to make any sorts of judgement or assumptions of who a person is or what they are like. The problem we have is that yellow inherently suggests white skin. When yellow gets chosen to represent skin, it comes from the perspective of a white person designing a stylised character for white people. Similar to how you wouldn't think plasters/band-aids are a problem until you consider their pink/pale colour is designed to blend in on white skin and hence sticks out on darker skin tones. If we truly wanted to avoid denoting any sort of race or ethnicity with the smileys then they would have to be distinctly non-human colours like blue or green.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#24 2020-09-11 13:27:48

rat
Formerly eleizibeth

TaskManager wrote:

ok but do we get different buffs depending on skin color

I'd like this

#25 2020-09-11 13:30:44, last edited by Minimania (2020-09-11 13:32:16)

Minimania
Moderation Team

mutantdevle wrote:

The problem we have is that yellow inherently suggests white skin.

I can't say I've ever thought yellow "skin tone neutral" smileys seemed "white" to me. The idea of them being yellow to me suggests that they were meant to not be any race

EDIT: Just for clarity, I was planning on actually making a lighter skin toned smiley in respinse to my "African American Smuley" topic a while ago, but decided against it for various reasons

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:
32OrtonEdge32dh1600457678784818

Board footer