Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-01 22:37:44

LukeM
Website

Some news from ByteArray about the reboot

If you don't already know about this, ByteArray has a youtube channel where they sometimes do updates on what they are currently working on. Currently this is the best place I can find to get information about whats happening with EE development.

Usually this is more casual information, such as small bugfixes or whatever, but this time he included some pretty big news so I thought I would create a forum topic to discuss it.

(Disclaimier: They didn't say any of this was final, so theres no guarantee that it will happen, its just what they thought was likely to be going on)

The important information starts around 5:20

Heres a quick summary:

• They are working on a complete reboot :O

• The reboot is likely to be using the engine they are developing (named frost2D)

• They are likely to be moving away from PlayerIO as well

This means that the reboot will likely be written directly using javascript, rather than being transpiled like UnitEE or other similar game engines, and will make use of WebGL to decrease the load on the processor, which hopefully means that the game will be much more efficient (no more 5 fps in the lobby XD) if the frost engine is programmed well.

Moving away from PlayerIO is also a huge thing, as currently they provide the services for the game to run (at a huge discount as it was developed by Benjaminsen), which is something that may be very difficult to get right. Moving away also means that EE will have a lot more freedom, as its no longer restricted by what PlayerIO supports, and if theres a problem (such as the recent lobby spamming, or the world saving problems) they actually have access to the core server code to solve it, rather than needing to rely on hacky fixes to get around PlayerIO's limitations.

This has the potential to be an incredibly good move as long as they do it well, but as they are starting from scratch, it also has the potential to go incredibly badly if it is rushed, or poorly coded, or whatever, so fingers crossed I guess //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue.

#2 2018-04-01 22:45:37

Yonanoke
Formerly Glaauber
Website

Re: Some news from ByteArray about the reboot

A questions for admins, you are working in a COMPLETE REBOOT OF ACCOUNTS TOO? Or you are will try transfer the database?

In-game arts

友達をまだ忘れていません。
Our memories will always belong to Everybody Edits

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2018-04-01 22:46:58, last edited by Joeyc (2018-04-01 22:55:45)

Joeyc

This is extremely exciting, not that we're getting a reboot for everybody edits after so long. That the game will run so much more smooth, alot more players. Much more worlds will be created. More gameplay
MORE CONTENT

I wish ee future the best

a9835c3a6759543ba134c3bf75802e5c.jpg I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but i'm jumping up and down ;p

#4 2018-04-01 23:16:20

Minimania
Moderation Team

They may be moving forward, but I'm interested in knowing what they're leaving behind.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#5 2018-04-01 23:19:18

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Let's hope that doesn't kill bots - assuming that the game gets popular enough again for maintaining bots to be worth the effort.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (4)

#6 2018-04-01 23:21:19

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I'm really glad that they took the web route. I've always considered HTML5 web games a lot better option than stand-alone Unity apps, in term of compatibility. This easily allows people to play the game in almost every platform, with the single requirement of an internet browser.

This, along with the use of Electron, can also allow stand-alone, possibly faster desktop apps, for those who don't want to play in browsers.

Web games offer the huge advantage that they can be edited by anyone to improve their game experience, such as tuning the game's appearance and interfaces to their taste. This might bring the possibility of cheating, but that should be properly handled in the server.

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2018-04-02 00:58:04

ByteArray

Glaauber wrote:

A questions for admins, you are working in a COMPLETE REBOOT OF ACCOUNTS TOO? Or you are will try transfer the database?

Currently we're not sure. But it seems like the best way forward would be to treat it as a new, separate game. Of course we want to make the transition as smooth as possible, and there are a lot of factors to weigh in to these decisions. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

#8 2018-04-02 02:12:22

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

If worlds and owned items are not copied over, then I have many many proposals to make the game better this time.

#9 2018-04-02 03:21:24, last edited by Yonanoke (2018-04-02 03:44:38)

Yonanoke
Formerly Glaauber
Website

ByteArray wrote:

Currently we're not sure. But it seems like the best way forward would be to treat it as a new, separate game. Of course we want to make the transition as smooth as possible, and there are a lot of factors to weigh in to these decisions. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Rip, those 8 years and the next 3-5 years and rip the progress of everyone but the administrators and moderators of course no.

In-game arts

友達をまだ忘れていません。

#10 2018-04-02 03:21:50

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Why haven't we gotten an announcement topic about this?

#11 2018-04-02 03:32:27

Guest.

N1KF wrote:

because its not important rn

nothing is final and i dont think they would announce that they are looking for alternatives

Wooted by:

#12 2018-04-02 04:25:52

ByteArray

Glaauber wrote:
ByteArray wrote:

Rip, those 8 years and the next 3-5 years and rip the progress of everyone but the administrators and moderators of course no.

I'd definitely like if there was a good way to carry over people's work from Flash EE, but there are a few reasons why it would be difficult.

Basically, we need the ability to prune the set of blocks and related functionality in the game. Without that ability, it's difficult to revitalize the game and make it seem less messy and overwhelming to new players (and we hope to have very many new players). Of course in doing so, we lose the ability to carry over peoples worlds without breaking them. It's also likely that various things will behave differently (such as one-way platforms), and the player physics will likely be implemented at least a little differently.

It's clearly a difficult decision, and we still have plenty of time to consider the possibilities. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

former lead-dev on EE/EEU, 2018—2020
(aka Criobite, Joshua Stone, TechnoWolf99, & LightWolf)

Wooted by: (5)

#13 2018-04-02 05:06:24

Different55
Forum Admin

ByteArray wrote:

the player physics will likely be implemented at least a little differently.

portal cannons again?

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (5)

#14 2018-04-02 05:09:02

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

N1KF wrote:

https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=41928

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#15 2018-04-02 08:47:00

Kira

Unacceptable.

The community agreed to a reboot only if our hard work was transferred. Thousands of hours into dust? The impact would be greater than you think.

#16 2018-04-02 09:23:44

cpcrabs

Kira wrote:

Unacceptable.

The community agreed to a reboot only if our hard work was transferred. Thousands of hours into dust? The impact would be greater than you think.

Getting an EE remake and all our progress being forgotten is still better than getting no EE remake and EE getting forgotten.

17 i think

Wooted by:

#17 2018-04-02 09:25:02, last edited by Joeyc (2018-04-02 09:29:07)

Joeyc

cpcrabs wrote:
Kira wrote:

Unacceptable.

Getting an EE remake and all our progress being forgotten is still better than getting no EE remake and EE getting forgotten.

are you crazy, i would care much more for my data rather a reboot. I Spent like a few hundo alone on this

#18 2018-04-02 09:25:54

Michele
Formerly AntonioS300

Really?!? I hope this brings backs players!

We also need adversitments for this game!!

Idler.jpg
XOsS4ha.gif

#19 2018-04-02 09:47:18

den3107

ByteArray wrote:
Glaauber wrote:
ByteArray wrote:

I'd definitely like if there was a good way to carry over people's work from Flash EE, but there are a few reasons why it would be difficult.

Basically, we need the ability to prune the set of blocks and related functionality in the game. Without that ability, it's difficult to revitalize the game and make it seem less messy and overwhelming to new players (and we hope to have very many new players). Of course in doing so, we lose the ability to carry over peoples worlds without breaking them. It's also likely that various things will behave differently (such as one-way platforms), and the player physics will likely be implemented at least a little differently.

It's clearly a difficult decision, and we still have plenty of time to consider the possibilities. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Might I suggest (as said in the OP) to have bot support? So that even if you guys can't copy it over (since you know it wouldn't work 1on1), players can still decide to do it themselves (potentially in a barebone method) through a fan made bot.
This barebone method could then just consist out of the essentials: Blocks are blocks (all basic blocks since minimap color wouldn't be the same anyway), gravity is gravity, etc. etc.
That was people can just copy their worlds over and then fix their worlds. It would probably be better than having to remake their entire worlds (I hope).

#20 2018-04-02 09:50:13, last edited by LukeM (2018-04-02 09:55:10)

LukeM
Website

If all else fails, I guess it would be possible to make a bot that converts old worlds to new worlds (I guess allowing to user to select which blocks turn into which other blocks), although as ByteArray said, physics may be different so it's likely that a good portion of worlds may break.

Edit: ninja'd ^
And it will almost definatly still be possible to make bots as if the code is in JavaScript, you can just copy over the connection code and build new things around it. I'm sure that within a few weeks someone will have made an easy to use JavaScript not library, even if the devs don't (I will if nobody else does), then Atilla or someone will probably find a way to convert that to C# so we can continue to develop bots as we used to (and maybe even copy old bots over :O)

#21 2018-04-02 09:51:37, last edited by Luka504 (2018-04-02 09:52:23)

Luka504

I don't want to drag the mood down, but if I lose all of my work and memories on EE and get no sort of compensation on the reboot, I would just quit making worlds. Why should I continue to make them?
At the very least offer EE players some sort of reward for having to start out with as many items as someone who has never played EE. Offer a special smiley or block or abilities, literally anything substantial will do. Just don't let our work go to waste.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#22 2018-04-02 09:54:05

peace

ByteArray wrote:
Glaauber wrote:
ByteArray wrote:

that doesnt matter as long ads they get caried over people can edit them by them selves wiht the new pysics

also i would like to know will thi ssolve many bugs ee have such as data limit? will we get more data limit? can we have bigger wolds? like 500x500 and full of signs portals ect and still load/save perfe cctly? can we also just playt it normaly on this ee site withour thhigns like nothing happened only that the gam emoveds to another sever hosting thing and got an update? an we just play it with flash?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#23 2018-04-02 10:00:34, last edited by LukeM (2018-04-02 10:04:14)

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

also i would like to know will thi ssolve many bugs ee have such as data limit? will we get more data limit? can we have bigger wolds? like 500x500 and full of signs portals ect and still load/save perfe cctly? can we also just playt it normaly on this ee site withour thhigns like nothing happened only that the gam emoveds to another sever hosting thing and got an update? an we just play it with flash?

I'm fairly sure they'll either remove the limit or make it high enough that it doesn't matter in normal use, as there's no real reason for them to keep it anymore, as long as they have servers with enough space

And yes, I'm guessing it will still be on the EE website as there's no reason for it not to be //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Also HTML5 is a replacement for flash, so you won't need flash to play anymore, just a modern browser (maybe one with WebGL if they don't have a JavaScript fallback, but ByteArray said they would likely be making one, so anyone that could play before will still be able to play)

#24 2018-04-02 10:49:01, last edited by Gosha (2018-04-02 10:49:25)

Gosha

Do you understand that the reboot is complete overhaul of the game? This won't be the same thing as UnitEE where they just copied all the code from the current ee to a new one.
Reboot will be entirely different game. different physics, different features. We won't just import all the stuff from the previous game to the new one.

Kira wrote:

The community agreed to a reboot only if our hard work was transferred.

This might be not even possible to do. If most of the blocks are gone and physics are different - worlds would be broken.

The Reboot won't replace current EE. It will be a different game with it's own rules. EE will stay the same (but, probably, without updates).

#25 2018-04-02 11:00:50, last edited by Yonanoke (2018-04-02 11:02:10)

Yonanoke
Formerly Glaauber
Website

They will abandon us and focus on another game (a little different) thus forgetting those fans who stayed those 8 years together with you and maybe the next 3-5 years. For me, this is not only unacceptable but bad for everyone.

And other questions to all admins, what if your plans fail? What if this new game is not a burst and dies in less than a year? Because when EE arrived it was a new idea, a new mechanic, but this game, we know it's not going to be a new idea, just one remake of another that's dying.

In-game arts

友達をまだ忘れていません。

den31071522853666701610

Board footer