Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-08 02:07:13

oxidizer

Rounded blocks

for a smooth look to worlds..

SFkP8Cy.png

(graphic by AnatolyEE)

#2 2018-01-08 02:19:59

soniiiety

Re: Rounded blocks

oxidizer wrote:

for a smooth look to worlds..

https://i.imgur.com/SFkP8Cy.png

(graphic by AnatolyEE)

why did anattoly not post it on his thread then? if its his also looks cool but i think that it might neeed more blocks or less and needs more shapes or patterns etc

#3 2018-01-08 02:32:22

soniiiety

oxidizer wrote:

I had him make it for me, he said in his thread that I had this..

well idk why he says that because i checked the whole thread and its not there

#4 2018-01-08 03:12:07

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

before they add round blocks they should probably add ramps so slow down with them graphics

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#5 2018-01-08 03:32:52, last edited by oxidizer (2018-01-08 03:36:17)

oxidizer

They already confirmed they ain't adding ramps..

And if that's true we need another suggestion..

#6 2018-01-08 06:12:33

soniiiety

oxidizer wrote:

They already confirmed they ain't adding ramps..

And if that's true we need another suggestion..

ok i am talking about page 1 , he should of added it with the rest of his stuff not let it float into big million pages

#7 2018-01-10 06:40:35

Kkay
Formerly Kaydog99

HzXdojd.png

no

#8 2018-01-11 01:52:37

oxidizer

People want ramps and that work basically the same..

#9 2018-01-11 02:23:32

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

oxidizer wrote:

i highlighted the problems with ramps regarding physics in one of the ramps topics
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … 84#p655284
also do not speak on behalf of "people"

i8SwC8p.png

#10 2018-01-11 02:53:43

Guest.

maxi123 wrote:
oxidizer wrote:

i highlighted the problems with ramps regarding physics in one of the ramps topics

i dont think ramps should have special physics, but should work as slanted flat ground

unknown.png

#11 2018-01-11 09:21:37

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

zyhrllos wrote:
maxi123 wrote:
oxidizer wrote:

i dont think ramps should have special physics, but should work as slanted flat ground

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … nknown.png

That would be so retarded, unrealistic and unintuitive

i8SwC8p.png

#12 2018-01-11 15:40:15

Guest.

maxi123 wrote:
zyhrllos wrote:
maxi123 wrote:
oxidizer wrote:

thanks for the constructive criticism maxi i appreciate it

#13 2018-01-13 05:28:58

oxidizer

I think both ideas can be approved and implemented into the game just need work, and if it does work don't use them..

#14 2018-01-13 15:09:07

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

zyhrllos wrote:
maxi123 wrote:
zyhrllos wrote:
maxi123 wrote:
oxidizer wrote:

thanks for the constructive criticism maxi i appreciate it

If you need constructive criticism to understand why giving 45° tilted surfaces a flat physics behavior is a bad idea then I'm worried about your knowledge of physics.
Perhaps you shouldn't say that every time you find it troublesome to understand why some things don't work?

i8SwC8p.png

#15 2018-01-13 15:40:34, last edited by LukeM (2018-01-13 15:54:21)

LukeM
Website

Well there are two main options with how these would work:

One is that they should work the same as stair blocks would in minecraft (but with 16 tiny steps), so when you fall vertically down none of that is converted to horizontal velocity, and when you move up them you move like you would on flat ground but moving upwards as well as sideways (with no extra vertical velocity). This would probably be the simplest to understand, but would still have a few problems as you stated in your post in the other topic (I dont think it would be as bad as you are making it sound though).

Another option would be to go all out on the realism, so they would work exactly the same as a ball would with a slope (but without elasticity). I think this would be the best option, and it wouldnt really break too much (as there wouldnt need to be many special cases like the other option would need), although it would still require a fair bit of effort and a good knowledge of physics to implement it.

Edit: If the second option were to be chosen, there would be the question of whether you should be able to stand still on a slope, or whether you should slide down. With the current physics engine there is no 'stiction', as drag is always proportional to speed (wheras in real life friction is constant), so something would need to change if you didnt want to slide.

As for the round blocks, you would just extend how sloped blocks would work to curved shapes, which would require some more sophisticated collision detection, and if you did option 2 then also gradient calculation, but overall I do think it would be possible (whether or not is should be added is another question though)

#16 2018-01-13 22:31:58

oxidizer

LukeM wrote:

One is that they should work the same as stair blocks would in minecraft (but with 16 tiny steps), so when you fall vertically down none of that is converted to horizontal velocity, and when you move up them you move like you would on flat ground but moving upwards as well as sideways (with no extra vertical velocity). This would probably be the simplest to understand, but would still have a few problems as you stated in your post in the other topic (I dont think it would be as bad as you are making it sound though).

Another option would be to go all out on the realism, so they would work exactly the same as a ball would with a slope (but without elasticity). I think this would be the best option, and it wouldnt really break too much (as there wouldnt need to be many special cases like the other option would need), although it would still require a fair bit of effort and a good knowledge of physics to implement it.

Edit: If the second option were to be chosen, there would be the question of whether you should be able to stand still on a slope, or whether you should slide down. With the current physics engine there is no 'stiction', as drag is always proportional to speed (wheras in real life friction is constant), so something would need to change if you didnt want to slide.

As for the round blocks, you would just extend how sloped blocks would work to curved shapes, which would require some more sophisticated collision detection, and if you did option 2 then also gradient calculation, but overall I do think it would be possible (whether or not is should be added is another question though)

Exaclty, its not a horrible idea just needs work.

#17 2018-01-19 01:45:11

soniiiety

oxidizer wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Exaclty, its not a horrible idea just needs work.

i agree i also got an idea from anatoly you should check my threads out oxi

#18 2018-01-19 09:07:28, last edited by Offensive Ray (2018-01-19 09:09:00)

Offensive Ray
Formerly omarabdulhaq

According to physics, the speed of the player on the ramp will change, the player would be (Time X Distance X cos 45) times faster,
if the player would go on the same movement's velocity it would make no sense tho.

However I kinda like the circle blocks idea, but also the movements would be different on each section of the circle, And the jump will be different according to the player's position in the circle.

#19 2018-01-19 09:10:26

soniiiety

they would might go faster and then stay that speed when going down or idk i think will be cool if this was added like a bot or client or hacky thingy

#20 2018-01-19 09:14:45

LukeM
Website

Oray wrote:

if the player would go on the same movement's velocity it would make no sense tho.

Why's that? Surely you should expect to go at the same speed?

#21 2018-01-19 09:19:35

soniiiety

LukeM wrote:
Oray wrote:

wait i actually understand why they still havent added it because of speed problems it would be boring to go the same speed on the ramps maybe, they could add a boulder or a ball action block that can bounce roll and kill players , like indiana jones

#22 2018-01-19 09:42:51

Offensive Ray
Formerly omarabdulhaq

LukeM wrote:
Oray wrote:

Try moving a ball on some straight way, it'll have some acceleration till it stops.
Try moving that ball on a ramp, It'll move faster then at the end it'll have a really high velocity at the down part of the ramp.

Or imagine yourself running on a straight way, you'll have some speed, till you feel tired.
Imagine yourself after running on a ramp (without falling //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue) , a really big ramp, the gravity acceleration will grab your body down so you'll have more speed, If you want to stop at some point of the ramp you'll keep running slowly and slowly till you stop, so that's what normally happens with a person.

The same thing happens with all bodies, I'm just talking the scientific way of real physics only //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue, if they want it based on imagination physics or their own physics they could do something else (Staff).

Wooted by:

#23 2018-01-19 09:49:13

soniiiety

you could even add a grenage of bomb shape circle and it can roll and explode when it after rolls down the ramp etc

#24 2018-01-19 10:01:55

azurepudding

If you press up and right when on dots/ladders or in godmode, don't you move faster than if only moving up or right?  It doesn't really make sense, but it's already part of EE physics, so I imagine ramps would probably work the same, to be consistent.  But it may be worth testing out to see how it works.

Also, I don't know on these rounded blocks, as if you arranged them in a diagonal fashion to create a hill, it'll still look chunky.  Ramps and half blocks would better work as multi-purpose world shaping, I think.

Azure2.png

#25 2018-01-19 10:53:14, last edited by Latif (2018-01-19 13:01:11)

Latif

I know Oray's physics idea makes more sense, but you can really make better game play if the speed keeps the same:
v0-wGIb5TzefJ6K0fy4xiQ.png
(not my best curve)

I'm wondering what should happen if you're doing nothing on a slope. Maybe move the smiley down? So when holding left it would increase the "resultant force", which makes you go down faster:
3izfPgvNSi6L1xvBl3ZPGA.png

Wooted by: (2)
soniiiety1516839992693716

Board footer