Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-19 18:10:18

BasicNet
Banned

easy tutorial for beginers

can someone write how to code bots, where do it.

Wooted by:
Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-11-19 21:27:27

Zumza

Re: easy tutorial for beginers

May I ask you why would you like to write bots?

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

Wooted by:

#4 2017-11-19 22:10:39

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I like bots, so I'd like to see what you can come up with .

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#5 2017-11-19 23:05:39

Latif

You need a lot of motivation and some time to learn how to program, if you want to be self-taught. I don't recommend starting with an EE bot immediately. Just begin with the basics. Ask your questions to google, he's your best friend.

Wooted by: (3)

#6 2017-11-19 23:25:36

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Latif wrote:

Ask your questions to google, he's your best friend.

Don’t assume Google’s gender.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#7 2017-11-19 23:27:00

LukeM
Website

Latif wrote:

You need a lot of motivation and some time to learn how to program, if you want to be self-taught. I don't recommend starting with an EE bot immediately. Just begin with the basics. Ask your questions to google, he's your best friend.

I started programming with end goals that were waaaay out of my reach, and although I never really met them, I think it was a fairly good way to learn as it provides the motivation you need to learn the things you need to.

I agree with the google bit though

#8 2017-11-20 00:01:02

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I started programming by pure trial and error. Krock has been guiding me about efficient method implementations.

#9 2017-11-20 01:31:05

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

I can't say I've seen a great bot tutorial yet. The first problem with all of them is that they don't emphasise enough the difference between C# knowledge and bot-coding knowledge, where the first is equally as important as the second.

A good tutorial should start by assuming that the reader is already competent in programming (ideally in a C-language or similar). If not, it should force a number of "Learn C#" links down the reader's throat (whether they like it or not) and say "come back when u less nub", and preferably enforce this by assuming a minimum level of competence throughout the tutorial. I spent a good month learning C# before I touched SimpleConnect, and it's crucial to learn the concepts of generic programming along with the language-specific syntax and semantics.

Once our reader is somewhat enlightened, and after hours of fiddling with syntax errors have knocked the stars out of their eyes and convinced them that coding a decent bot is a good hard grind, the tutorial must begin with theory. In the same way that you learn the concept of a loop before coding loops, you have to be able to answer fundamental questions about bots before coding bots;

What is PlayerIO? What is the PlayerIOClient library and why do I need it? What is a PlayerIO Message and what happens when my bot joins a world? What is the EE Protocol and how do I apply it? Which message types are the most important, what do they contain and when/how does the bot receive them?

Then - and only then - should we start with PlayerIO-specific code. The second mistake that many tutorials make is by handing the reader some amount of code without properly explaining its parts. In theory the reader should be able to read through the documentation and find out for themselves, but that wouldn't make it a great tutorial. For example, here's a bad start:

Tutorial: Connecting your bot to a world

This is a better start:

The basics

It takes ages to write a really in-depth bot tutorial, and even this fraction of a fraction above took me a while to write. I can't really blame anyone for not having done it.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#10 2017-11-20 18:20:17

capasha

Tomahawk wrote:

I can't say I've seen a great bot tutorial yet. The first problem with all of them is that they don't emphasise enough the difference between C# knowledge and bot-coding knowledge, where the first is equally as important as the second.

A good tutorial should start by assuming that the reader is already competent in programming (ideally in a C-language or similar). If not, it should force a number of "Learn C#" links down the reader's throat (whether they like it or not) and say "come back when u less nub", and preferably enforce this by assuming a minimum level of competence throughout the tutorial. I spent a good month learning C# before I touched SimpleConnect, and it's crucial to learn the concepts of generic programming along with the language-specific syntax and semantics.

Once our reader is somewhat enlightened, and after hours of fiddling with syntax errors have knocked the stars out of their eyes and convinced them that coding a decent bot is a good hard grind, the tutorial must begin with theory. In the same way that you learn the concept of a loop before coding loops, you have to be able to answer fundamental questions about bots before coding bots;

What is PlayerIO? What is the PlayerIOClient library and why do I need it? What is a PlayerIO Message and what happens when my bot joins a world? What is the EE Protocol and how do I apply it? Which message types are the most important, what do they contain and when/how does the bot receive them?

Then - and only then - should we start with PlayerIO-specific code. The second mistake that many tutorials make is by handing the reader some amount of code without properly explaining its parts. In theory the reader should be able to read through the documentation and find out for themselves, but that wouldn't make it a great tutorial. For example, here's a bad start:

It feels like you have so much of motivation. Maybe you should make your own tutorial instead. I don't have the motivation to make anything to a dying game.

#11 2017-11-20 20:39:24, last edited by drunkbnu (2017-11-20 20:40:32)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

The real problem has absolutely nothing to do with language structures or libraries.

The real problem is that everybody here thinks of programming as program writing and compiling, an horribly wrong concept. I'm sure almost (to not say just all) all here don't even know about pseudo-code or algorithms.

#12 2017-11-20 21:00:00

MartenM
Website

*cough* *cough*
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=36612

They show you the very basics of connecting n stuff.
These videos expect you to know some basic stuff about programming in general tho :/
Can't say they are anywhere near perfect but the videos of Jabatheblob1 really helped me to start.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#13 2017-11-21 01:32:20

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

capasha wrote:

It feels like you have so much of motivation. Maybe you should make your own tutorial instead.

Bah. The day I wake up with that much motivation is the day I'll spend doing the things I should be doing, like coursework.

Having said that, I may decide to write a tutorial bit by bit and release a chapter per week. If there's enough interest, I'll consider it.

1 woot = 1 interest ^^

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#14 2017-11-21 10:34:48

den3107

Tomahawk wrote:

1 woot = 1 interest ^^

Inb4 people woot it to make you waste your time (since they're not actually interested).
jk, we'll see how it turns out.

#15 2017-11-21 11:02:17

Latif

Devlin wrote:
Latif wrote:

It* //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#16 2017-11-21 11:47:04

Vinyl Melody
Formerly BananaMilkShake

Latif wrote:
Devlin wrote:
Latif wrote:

They*

cb0de83627.png
Thanks to: Ernesdo (Current Avatar), Zoey2070 (Signature)

Very inactive, maybe in the future, idk.

#17 2017-11-21 11:55:58

Offensive Ray
Formerly omarabdulhaq

Vinyl Melody wrote:
Latif wrote:
Devlin wrote:
Latif wrote:

They*

It*

Wooted by:

#18 2017-11-21 13:38:16

Latif

Vinyl Melody wrote:
Latif wrote:
Devlin wrote:
Latif wrote:

They*

You know I mean the search engine and not the people who work in the company..

#19 2017-11-21 16:44:25

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

Or consider using JavaScript instead of C# since web development can get you much farther in life as well as cross platform abilities of running a bot on a website

Wooted by:
SirJosh39171511279065684033

Board footer