Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-06 15:17:15

Anatoly

Recolorizon of the existing Blocks

Before
After

Before people even start crying "NOBODY CARES OF YOU!", "YOU GO GIRL!" or anything else, please listen!

New Players usually leave because they don't find EE interesting, if that's the problem we can't do anything, but some of them leave because they think EE has too less resources and.... Leave...

More Minimap colors are required for new players. More Graphics, more colors, more colorful the level! That's how we can start.

#2 2017-07-06 15:25:26

SoapFish

Re: Recolorizon of the existing Blocks

This idea is great, not only since it could help in the beautification of worlds, but also in creating a more inviting place for others. Though some would think this would just be a waste of space, I, on the other hand, do think that it has a use, just like any other block.

Hey there. Wanna know a secret? Send me "Souffezhi" through PM to find out!

GE87uYz.gif

Wooted by:

#3 2017-07-06 15:29:44

Anatoly

SoapFish wrote:

This idea is great, not only since it could help in the beautification of worlds, but also in creating a more inviting place for others. Though some would think this would just be a waste of space, I, on the other hand, do think that it has a use, just like any other block.

Thank you for your reply! I am very glad that this topic started with a happy aura!

Wooted by:

#4 2017-07-06 15:30:33

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

just because a block has a few different colored versions of it doesnt mean it needs to have a full rainbow colors pack + white & black & gray
i find most of these redundant: round shields, marble, jungle, summer wood blocks, wild west wood platforms and BGs, sci-fi laser beams and blocks, old metal blocks
however the canvas, cave and bright bg packs could be expanded indeed
teams, keydoors and windows maybe too

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#5 2017-07-06 15:34:08

Anatoly

maxi123 wrote:

just because a block has a few different colored versions of it doesnt mean it needs to have a full rainbow colors pack + white & black & gray
i find most of these redundant: round shields, marble, jungle, summer wood blocks, wild west wood platforms and BGs, sci-fi laser beams and blocks, old metal blocks
however the canvas, cave and bright bg packs could be expanded indeed
teams, keydoors and windows maybe too

For the team blocks I had a better idea. If i'm not wrong the doors are global id's of its "team". Like red is 1, green is 2, ...

I would suggest giving key blocks, doors and gates a id selector like in portals. So you could chose any key door working parallel (Red with Id "45" isn't Red with Id "46", but is opened with Blue, Id "45"). I think this is the way it would be better, how to call it? "Class"?

#6 2017-07-06 17:23:12

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Here's the problem

Everybody Edits is super unintuitive. Packages are unintuitive, physics areunintuitive, the shop is unintuitive, the lobby is unintuitive and everything but the kitchen sink is unintuitive. Sadly there's not really a way to fix all of that without just completely restarting the mess we've gotten into. Why did this happen?

Back in the early days, we had very few blocks. Like six basic blocks, and maybe four brick blocks. Each of the colors were somewhat different in some way. Then we got metal, then we got glass, then we got mineral, then we got Christmas 2011, then we got checkers, etc.

On the package list, if you have tabs disabled and have all the packs, you have like eight rows, a huge amount of the blocks just being recolors form each other. To make matters worse, decoration colors are inconsistent between morphable and non-morphable. So all we're left with is a pile of rainbow vomit that's constantly growing and growing.

Here's the solution

Have a color selector. It's that simple. Each block can have multiple color variations. This could completely remove many of the technical limitations packs have. Want black glass? Check! Want green, blue, and purple pipes! Check! Of course, we'd have to solve the pirate/cowboy wood conflict somehow.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2017-07-06 18:04:00, last edited by LukeM (2017-07-06 18:05:50)

LukeM
Website

N1KF wrote:

Have a color selector. It's that simple. Each block can have multiple color variations. This could completely remove many of the technical limitations packs have. Want black glass? Check! Want green, blue, and purple pipes! Check! Of course, we'd have to solve the pirate/cowboy wood conflict somehow.

I guess maybe remapping all of the IDs and extra values would make both the menu and the IDs much more intuitive, for example things like arrows / boosts could just be one morphable block each, and as you said, all of the colored blocks could just be one too, although I dont think this would fit every block, maybe just the specifically colour themed blocks.

There would have to be some sort of symbol in the block menus though, as with that many morphable blocks it would be hard to remember whats morphable / coloured and what isnt (maybe a seperate symbol for each to make it more intuitive)

I guess also to make it easier to use the blocks, you could put one specific morph of the block onto your hotbar, which would both mean the hotbar would be more useful, and it would be easier to place things like spikes and portals

Wooted by:

#8 2017-07-06 18:18:17, last edited by N1KF (2017-07-06 18:19:13)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

destroyer123 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

I guess maybe remapping all of the IDs and extra values would make both the menu and the IDs much more intuitive, for example things like arrows / boosts could just be one morphable block each, and as you said, all of the colored blocks could just be one too, although I dont think this would fit every block, maybe just the specifically colour themed blocks.

There would have to be some sort of symbol in the block menus though, as with that many morphable blocks it would be hard to remember whats morphable / coloured and what isnt (maybe a seperate symbol for each to make it more intuitive)

I guess also to make it easier to use the blocks, you could put one specific morph of the block onto your hotbar, which would both mean the hotbar would be more useful, and it would be easier to place things like spikes and portals

I was thinking that every single block that's in the first or fourth tab (I'm not sure how decorations would work with this) would be colorable with each existing color. However, in my ideal version of the game, there would be a lot fewer redundant blocks, so taking that idea and implementing it with the current block list would take a lot of work.

Here's an idea: Instead of creating multiple graphics for each block, what about having a basic monochrome block sprite, then having the game automatically recolor it when rendering it? While I'm sure it would reduce a lot of the work and file-space, it might make the game laggier.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#9 2017-07-06 19:19:08

LukeM
Website

N1KF wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

I was thinking that every single block that's in the first or fourth tab (I'm not sure how decorations would work with this) would be colorable with each existing color. However, in my ideal version of the game, there would be a lot fewer redundant blocks, so taking that idea and implementing it with the current block list would take a lot of work.

Here's an idea: Instead of creating multiple graphics for each block, what about having a basic monochrome block sprite, then having the game automatically recolor it when rendering it? While I'm sure it would reduce a lot of the work and file-space, it might make the game laggier.

I guess that could work, and it probably would make things a lot simpler, but then the colours might not look as good as they do currently, especially the more 'extreme' colours like black and white, which could seem a bit off.

Wooted by: (2)

#10 2017-07-10 13:08:41

Anatoly

staff members, why you didnt answered yet 8also i type without shift, one hand9

please answer q-staff

#11 2017-07-10 20:50:39

ParadoxInTheVoid

on-topic: I like the idea, but, it would clutter everything up; I suppose if a viable solution to the clutter could arise, then implementing the idea wouldn't be a big deal.

off-topic:

AnatolyEE wrote:

8also i type without shift, one hand9

CONTENT WARNING
CONTENT WARNING

signature.png

#12 2017-07-27 18:26:39

Anatoly

Hello! I remember somebody had the idea already. Here anyway:

hK84735.png

#13 2017-07-27 18:34:33

John

These are pretty cool!

PW?scale=2

#14 2017-07-27 18:37:16

Anatoly

Emalton wrote:

These are pretty cool!

Remember Effect choser? Like chose team color. Would be great to have like this `selector` one for here, so it won't require many ids

#15 2017-07-27 18:39:01

John

Yeah that was another good idea, I would woot this one but I've had enough today it seems.

PW?scale=2

#16 2017-07-28 14:31:29

peace

AnatolyEE wrote:

Hello! I remember somebody had the idea already. Here anyway:

http://i.imgur.com/hK84735.png

edit the cyan a lil bbit and u have real ice on it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#17 2017-07-28 17:00:13

Firecrackericebreak
Website

inb4 50 block menu tabs

#18 2017-08-11 11:45:59

Anatoly

Firecrackericebreak wrote:

inb4 50 block menu tabs

If EE would use from start a white/gray/black toned format for every block and a color pallete it would be much simplier, and now not 50, there would be 1 more blocks tab only.

#19 2017-08-11 17:25:29

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

AnatolyEE wrote:
Firecrackericebreak wrote:

inb4 50 block menu tabs

If EE would use from start a white/gray/black toned format for every block and a color pallete it would be much simplier, and now not 50, there would be 1 more blocks tab only.

As a sidenote, one of the RGB colors would work better than gray. That way, contrast can be measured which you can't do with monochrome.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#20 2017-08-11 18:44:58

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Block list before:

gkEijp7.png

Block list after (55% length):

rsq1iyK.png

Background list before:

36KnJiQ.png

Background list after (47% length):

110lD2X.png

That's not even including the ambiguous cases like the magic and gold blocks, as well as any decorations or morphable blocks.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#21 2017-08-12 08:28:22

medeia
Banned

Let's just add a color variation to everything in this game now.

g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif

#22 2017-08-12 10:29:47

Weirdoverse
Website

medeia wrote:

your signature reads my mind right now

A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign. It's up to you! In your signature you can use BBCode if it is allowed in this particular forum. You can see the features that are allowed/enabled listed below whenever you edit your signature.

Wooted by: (2)

#23 2017-08-15 02:56:10

medeia
Banned

Weirdoverse wrote:
medeia wrote:

your signature reads my mind right now

Do I think it would be a great addition, probably not. I usually would just prefer the current blocks to force creativity, also same.

g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif

medeia1502762170673184

Board footer