Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-04 04:46:04

Cola1

World Icons

Inspired by this post.

Just a simple option in World Settings that lets the owner of a world change an icon beside the level name in the lobby.

I mean something like this:
Iz6nfzy.png
Just an example, plus I needed an excuse to be productive.
eAIBY0R.png

Default icon would probably be dtJTcT7.png
Perhaps have an option to not display an icon.

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#2 2017-03-04 15:58:33

Pingohits
Banned

Re: World Icons

i feel as if the icons shouldn't represent emoticons, but what type of level it is

the block icon could mean a platforming level

a sword could represent an RPG, the key a boss or puzzle, etc.

that way they would at least have some sort of use besides being decorative

791mAP8.png

#3 2017-03-04 20:18:33, last edited by Xfrogman43 (2017-03-04 20:18:53)

Xfrogman43

Pingohits wrote:

i feel as if the icons shouldn't represent emoticons, but what type of level it is

Yeah but people could put fake icons (ex: a non-platforming level without a block icon) and people would get upset, neutral ones would be best

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#4 2017-03-04 20:44:10

Pingohits
Banned

Xfrogman43 wrote:
Pingohits wrote:

Yeah but people could put fake icons (ex: a non-platforming level without a block icon) and people would get upset, neutral ones would be best

i always hate these types of arguments, i.e. the "people can use it wrong!" argument

first of all, that's not even a big problem whether or not the icons don't match the type of level. we have minimap view for a reason. and if that is turned off, then wouldn't it be the same with or without the icon, for you wouldn't be sure what type of level it is in the first place?

second of all, people can put fake world titles, but is that much of a problem? should we get rid of world titles entirely, because people can abuse it?

your argument is invalid, since abusing world icons, in essence, shouldn't affect EE in any possible way whatsoever

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (5)

#5 2017-03-04 21:27:39

XxAtillaxX

There's already existing classifications of worlds that virtually nobody uses, like the open/closed/WIP world status.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#6 2017-03-04 21:50:56

Pingohits
Banned

XxAtillaxX wrote:

There's already existing classifications of worlds that virtually nobody uses, like the open/closed/WIP world status.

don't forget [BETA]

791mAP8.png

#7 2017-03-04 23:37:36, last edited by Cola1 (2017-03-05 00:09:05)

Cola1

Pingohits wrote:

It was just an example, if I had the time I'd have done more proper icons, but I did think about how it should be used to represent the kind of level.

EDIT: Although the smiley icons are generic enough to not be capable of being misleading, they're just icons. Like, if someone had a //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad icon for their world, it sounds silly to say something like "omg this world isn't like angry smily!!"

That given, all the icons should have some sense of genericism. Like the block icon, that's pretty much always going to be relevant to the level.

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

Wooted by:

#8 2017-03-05 01:11:47

Xfrogman43

Pingohits wrote:
Xfrogman43 wrote:
Pingohits wrote:

i always hate these types of arguments, i.e. the "people can use it wrong!" argument

first of all, that's not even a big problem whether or not the icons don't match the type of level. we have minimap view for a reason. and if that is turned off, then wouldn't it be the same with or without the icon, for you wouldn't be sure what type of level it is in the first place?

second of all, people can put fake world titles, but is that much of a problem? should we get rid of world titles entirely, because people can abuse it?

your argument is invalid, since abusing world icons, in essence, shouldn't affect EE in any possible way whatsoever

I was hoping someone would reply to this ^^
I knew somebody would say the same thing about titles
gg 10/10 post but who trolled who

Icons would be a nice little addition to the game just to be different from all of the other versions

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Xfrogman431488672707649488

Board footer