Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-10 22:21:57

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

Can we at least give trollers a slap on the wrist?

Can we at least give trollers a slap on the wrist?

We don't need to ban them or junk because, y'know, trolling isn't against the rules,
but can we at least give them a slap on the wrist?

You and I can both make a level, give edit to trustworthy people, and make sure to save frequently, and to go one extra step farther, save backups of our level.

And we have something in common that EE's target age group doesn't.

Experience.

You see, a kid 7/8/9 doesn't have enough experience, and will throw a code is 1111 world, maybe be afk, and not even bother to do anything, and when a troll comes, they'd whine and complain about how the troll ruined everything, and they'd have no saves. Then all the users on the would would get upset and some might leave because remember, we're targeting a young age group.

We all would say "no trolling shouldn't be on the rules because you (blah blah blah, safe steps here" against to trolls, but have we ever considered the age group we're targeting?

If you seriously don't want to give trolls a slap on the wrist, and seemingly "enforce justice" even though it's not against the rules, that's quite sad of you.

tl;dr trolling should be a tiny slap on the wrist because EE's target age group can't handle trolls.

-

But wait! Alas, you can see it already:
Millions and billions of reports coming your way, with "waah dude trolled" and no evidence to even verify!

Here's your solution(s):

1) In the tutorial, remember to mention "blah blah safety of worlds if u host 1111 then don't blah blah e.t.c"

2) Make a separate BigDb for trolling reports to go into, and save the world and all the blocks placed by the different people to verify they trolled, and /tempban them for an hour

3) Do the same as #2, but instead of tempbanning them, ban them from the world they were just on, which leads us to number 4:

4) Add a /ban command to let the user ban certain players from a world. If you're worried about too many banned players which leads to a crowded BigDb in the Worlds table, just separate the BigDb from worlds and banned players on worlds.

5) If you don't like #4 taking up BigDb with either of those options, add a /universalban which will ban a user from all of that user's worlds.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

1) The user will already be informed about the safetys of code is 1111 worlds

2) It's a "slap on the wrist"

3) It's a "lesser slap on the wrist"

4) Adds a whole new command, gets people excited about it, and makes bot bans less needed.
And for the BigDb separation, this makes it so a single world doesn't get too crowded.

5) Makes life for the player much easier, and does the same thing as #4.

Cons:

1) The user won't bother reading the tutorial

2) Another whole BigDb for mods to check, maybe leading to a new rank which will do trolling reports and that will be their permanent job.

3) Same thing as #2, but gives the new found rank even more work

4) Adding a new BigDb table would perhaps take up too much space, or adding an array to a World that is already big because of it's blocks in it will ifll it up

5) Adding a new BigDb table

-= If you have more pros or cons, say if its a con/pro, say the number it belongs to, and your reason =-

Wooted by:

#2 2016-09-10 22:42:07

Koya
Fabulous Member

Re: Can we at least give trollers a slap on the wrist?

Trollers know what they are doing is bad.

Prevention is best (AKA, don't host an open edit world and not expect trolling)

Give code to friends who need the code, otherwise give god.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#3 2016-09-10 22:44:50

Freckleface

Koya wrote:

Did you even read the topic? He said that because younger players do not know better, they give out code. He is saying trollers need to be warned for doing it, and possibly temp banned if they do not stop.

F

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2016-09-10 22:47:34

Koya
Fabulous Member

Freckleface wrote:
Koya wrote:

Did you even read the topic? He said that because younger players do not know better, they give out code. He is saying trollers need to be warned for doing it, and possibly temp banned if they do not stop.

Trollers are editing because they have been granted access to edit. Save often, kick trollers and don't give edit to them again.

Trolling is in every sandbox multiplayer, people don't need to be warned.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#5 2016-09-10 22:55:57

SmittyW

*slaps ninjasupeatsninja*

#6 2016-09-10 22:57:58

Priddle

• Trolling is allowed.

• Trying to stop them encourages them even more to do it.

• Don't give them edit if you don't want them to troll- it's simple!

#7 2016-09-10 23:19:09

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

or maybe just add a little warning label under the "Code" text field of world settings
"Remember! Giving code and edit powers to people that you don't trust may have negative consequences on your world!"

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#8 2016-09-10 23:49:25

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Both Koya and NVD seem to have ignored many of the points for a simple "it's your fault if you get trolled". Some of the suggestions here would allow level creators to more easily deal with trolls, which sounds good in theory. Why not discuss that?

#9 2016-09-11 00:39:50

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

You can't stop trolls without rules against trolling.

If you're gonna host an open-code world, find an anti-troll bot that can revert individual players' edits.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#10 2016-09-11 00:47:13

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

You can't stop trolls without rules against trolling.

Um, yeah, you kind of can. Saving, kicking, and edit permissions have all reduced trolling.

Wooted by:

#11 2016-09-11 01:06:06

imgood9

I want to address this idea a little bit because I think this is probably the most feasible solution.

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

4) Add a /ban command to let the user ban certain players from a world. If you're worried about too many banned players which leads to a crowded BigDb in the Worlds table, just separate the BigDb from worlds and banned players on worlds.

It would be nice to expand the power of

/kick [username] [reason]

to

/kick [time (minutes)] [username] [reason]

where [time (minutes)] defaults to 5 minutes and can go up to 1440 minutes (a full day).

Though other than that I feel like there's already plenty of preventative measures people can take to avoid trolling (that don't require gameplay experience--just common sense) such as not letting strangers edit your world and to save before you give someone edit.

#12 2016-09-11 01:25:13, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2016-09-11 01:26:17)

SirJosh3917

Koya wrote:

Koya wrote:
Freckleface wrote:
Koya wrote:

Trollers are editing because they have been granted access to edit. Save often, kick trollers and don't give edit to them again.

Trolling is in every sandbox multiplayer, people don't need to be warned.

First off, please, at least read the topic and it's contents before posting.

Now back to your post -

people don't need to be warned.

People, what age group though?
And where did you learn that trolling is in every sandbox multiplayer game, oh perhaps you've played a lot of them. Which means you have Experience, and if I recall:

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

You and I can both make a level, give edit to trustworthy people, and make sure to save frequently, and to go one extra step farther, save backups of our level.

And we have something in common that EE's target age group doesn't.

Experience.

You see, a kid 7/8/9 doesn't have enough experience { ... }

You and I are human beings, with more experience then the average kid, correct?

This means that we both have more experience then an average kid, and since we have more, we know what kind of trollers there are, what they'll do, how they'll act, and if they'd care.

The average kid however, has never encountered one of these trolls, and most likely, is not expecting, or ready for this troll.

They need warning, advice, and tools to help them.

In the end, they should get justice, and continue to play this game.

This is why I created this topic in the first place. Otherwise they'll rage and quit (read my reply to NVD)

NVD wrote:
  • Trolling is allowed.

• Trying to stop them encourages them even more to do it.

• Don't give them edit if you don't want them to troll- it's simple!

Ok, let's read through this one by one.

NVD wrote:

Trolling is allowed.

By this being allowed with no punishment, or even a slap on the wrist, this allows kid's worlds to get destroyed and goto oblivion without them even knowing what happened, make them cry and perhaps even quit the game. If you gave them a simple slap on the wrist, or the tools they needed to get justice served, they'd feel better, and if they were pre-warned, they'd be ready for battle.

And lets say the game stays the way you have with your limited mind set about trolling. Their world gets trolled, they learn about /report, and decide to report them for trolling. And after all the damage is done, the relationships with the game ruined, the majestic art they and their other random people have built, their world of creativity, excitement, peace has just been ruined by the vicious troll, ruining all their work. After all that damage is done to their world, and they haven't saved at a close enough date to when the troll happened, after all that has happened, they learn they can't do anything about that.

maxi123 wrote:

or maybe just add a little warning label under the "Code" text field of world settings
"Remember! Giving code and edit powers to people that you don't trust may have negative consequences on your world!"

This is your best bet NVD. Except make it kid friendly words:

"Remember! Letting people edit your world that you dont trust could be very bad!" or something.

rant about how this isn't a kids game

#13 2016-09-11 02:18:51

SmittyW

*sniff* Ah yes, trolling. For some it's about laughs but others it's abuse.

You mean "Trolling" like spamming blocks right? Not raping my mother or making death threats? K cool. And a "slap on the wrist" means being tempbanned by mods? Seems pretty severe.

The reason this kind of "trolling" isn't a rule is because it's not consistent. Some worlds allow people to troll or it could be an accident but you are talking about the unwarranted. Even so, it's easily preventable with the commands we have now (choosing kick length would be a nice addition). To go this length to prevent kids experiencing betrayal for the first time in their life isn't rational. Deal with it B)

I don't know what your idea of the "average kid" is but you treat them all as retards. I remember I got upset by a troll once but since I'm a human I learned from it and only give cod to people I trust. The blood thing is silly too. I played mortal kombat as a kid and wasn't scarred. I know it's not supposed to be a kid's game either but I'm still fine today.

Wooted by:

#14 2016-09-11 02:26:14, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2016-09-11 02:38:49)

SirJosh3917

SmittyW wrote:

I don't know what your idea of the "average kid" is but you treat them all as retards.

Well, pretty... much. Where I live, people have a little trouble understanding common core, which is why they went to a "red yellow green blue" grading scale system. AMAZING!

That's why I switched to home school. Now I can get a week at least ahead in the time it takes me to do public school.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Also, I phrased it wrong: anybody would have trouble understanding common core, but:

They struggle in the regular a lot, and common core a little less.

I don't even common core.

#15 2016-09-11 09:36:55

Napakeun
Formerly goodsmile

I mean, unless the kid has some mental issues, I don't see why would he give away code over and over again if he sees that his world is being trolled. The kid's gonna learn from his mistakes and move on...

But, I do think we need to infrom the players somehow that it's their fault, if their world get's trolled.

We could do this by implanting the idea of tips to loadscreen! I mentioned this on some other topic, regarding the issue of fake gem codes worlds.
Here is the topic: https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=33669
My post: https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … 93#p583693

Napakeun wrote:

Wait, how about this:

Add the idea of tips to loadscreen!

Add Tips to loadscreen idea by Brain
Tips and tricks thread by Tako

All kinds of tips could be added, even the more simple ones, from the Help page because not many people would actually take time and read all that. But when simple stuff like this is casually displayed when players enter new worlds every time, new players would slowly get to know EE better and better.

In this case, the tip would be something like: "Don't always trust the worlds that say they will give you code or gems!"

Example 1
Example 2

So yeah, in this case the tip would be something like: "Be careful who you give code or edit to. Some players might want to destroy your world!"

#16 2016-09-11 09:42:02

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

OKAY HERE IS A SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

->DON'T
->GIVE
->OUT
->THE
->EDIT
->CODE
->AT ALL.

#17 2016-09-11 10:26:55, last edited by Norwee (2016-09-11 10:34:50)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

I don't like your suggestions Ninja. There are already enough limitations. There's quite a difference from now compared to when worlds could not be saved, code could not be changed and users could not be kicked from levels. There was not even a username system before, so users could troll anonymously. I actually miss those times, it made the game so much more exciting.

Also i'm pretty sure your safety regulations would cause more harm than good. Children will not learn how to be careful online if their worlds don't get trolled once in a while. They would grow up and not learn anything about safe behavior. It reminds of a new rule in Sweden that proposed making bike helmets mandatory for children in kindergarten. Their children will grow up as weaklings if they never fall once in a while and experience some pain.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#18 2016-09-11 12:25:45

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

look, kids are not helpless spineless brainless retarded creatures, sooner or later they will learn that:
giving code -> world is trolled

your blood/gore argument is silly. kids are not little fragile creatures scared of everything. my sister (10) plays skyrim (PEGI 18+) and you can behead people in that game, so what. not to mention that EE graphics are cartoonish and not realistic like skyrim, MK or witcher

i8SwC8p.png

#19 2016-09-11 12:30:51

Gosha

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I'm surprised this even is a kids game, no wait, it's not.
Blood?

Check.
Gore?

kids must not know what blood is?
Hello, halloween is kid's holiday with a lot of blood and creepy things.

#20 2016-09-11 15:57:57

SirJosh3917

Points taken.

Given that most 10 year olds play COD, could we make EE 10+? Most of code worlds are trolled or thingies are drawn rapidly, so I'm sure 10 year olds wouldn't mind..

Also I propose /ban and perhaps some tips saying "dont let ppl have code or they'll troll"

#21 2016-09-11 16:16:46

Evilbunny

Trolling? You mean WORLD RAPE?

Trolling should me more than just against the rules, it should be ILLEGAL! Trolling is the insertion of unwanted blocks into an unwilling world. Sound familiar?????
A slap on the wrist isn't enough for THESE PIECES OF SCUM who VIOLATE innocent worlds!

and don't even try TO VICTIM BLAME the world owner! Telling them shouldn't have given out the code is like telling a girl she was ASKING FOR IT!!!

We need heightened security in all worlds and more SEVERE PUNISHMENTS! I propose we have security guards in EVERY WORLD at ALL TIMES who will stop trollers world rapists! Then when they catch them, they report them to their local authorities and get them IN JAIL!

I'm TIRED of living in WORLDS where trolling has become ACCEPTED by the majority of the population, it is DISGUSTING. Think of all the people who are TRIGGERED by people trolling (it's real), how do you think they feel? Living in constant fear that they might HAVE FLASHBACKS and LOSE CONTROL of themselves because you all have become so ACCEPTING of these CRIMINALS that they are EVERYWHERE!

So yes please punish these MONSTERS for their terrible crimes against innocent worlds and world owners.

oh and by the way

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#22 2016-09-11 16:27:18

hummerz5

So, what's the volume of reports that come through from people upset about trolling? Noticeable? Perhaps then educating folks a little bit more would help?

I mean we get these "ban trolling" threads pretty regularly IIRC. Can we put more effort into making a more obvious display of the systems that defeat trolling? (not giving code, being smart about the code, etc)

Someone mentioned putting little reminders ingame, e.g.

#23 2016-09-11 18:07:06

Schlog

can we stop whining about worlds getting trolled because of the owner's own ignorance?

#24 2016-09-11 19:23:15

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Ninja wrote:

can we stop whining about worlds getting trolled because of the owner's own ignorance?

no
its a tradition
you cant simply give up traditions like that

i8SwC8p.png

#25 2016-09-11 20:22:34

skullz17

Solution #1 is enough. People will always troll, so it's better to just be prepared for it.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Lictor7771473701277622796

Board footer