Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-25 21:54:18, last edited by skullz17 (2016-08-25 21:55:02)

skullz17

Can we change the rule for tagged explicit content?

It really sucks that we can't share music with each other in What are you listening to? just because the song has a couple swearwords. Also, I don't like that that topic for funny chats gets a special rule. Why do those images deserve to be allowed when other tagged explicit content isn't?

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#2 2016-08-25 21:54:49

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Re: Can we change the rule for tagged explicit content?

moved to forum discussion

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#3 2016-08-25 22:01:54

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

skullz17 wrote:

Also, I don't like that that topic for funny chats gets a special rule. Why do those images deserve to be allowed when other tagged explicit content isn't?

//forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.p … 65#p594865

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2016-08-25 22:44:10, last edited by Koya (2016-08-25 22:46:14)

Koya
Fabulous Member

This forum should be explicit content free - everywhere, including Imgs of chats on ee/forums; all or nothing when it comes to explicit content and swearing, there are kids here who shouldn't have to see that.

Hope I don't get banned for reporting posts on page 1/5 on that thread (edit: actually nothing in the rules permitting explicit content under new conditions @ http://forums.everybodyedits.com/misc.php?action=rules)

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#5 2016-08-25 23:14:02, last edited by Bobithan (2016-08-25 23:20:15)

Bobithan

Koya wrote:

(edit: actually nothing in the rules permitting explicit content under new conditions @ http://forums.everybodyedits.com/misc.php?action=rules )

That's incredibly pedantic. It says right in the thread that swears are ok in spoilers in only that topic. The main page for rules is not going to go over every single exception for every subforum and thread.

The chat thread is an exception because banning swears there would basically kill the thread due to the differences in rules regarding swearing here and in the game, and that difference especially applies in that specific thread so that's why we permit it.

If anybody has been warned for posting a majorly inoffensive song with swears in the lyrics tell me and I'll remove that warning because I think that's ridiculous. There's a difference between swears in art and swears elsewhere just like the difference between nudity in art and nudity elsewhere. I wouldn't ban somebody for posting a contextually relevant picture of Liberty Leading the People or The Creation of Adam, and similarly I won't ban somebody for posting a youtube link to Kendrick Lamar's Alright.

(to be clear, this is NOT an invitation to intentionally post art with nudity in it to be a pain. there is a lot of art that exists that is mainly focused on sexuality that I would not be ok with to be posted here, but when it is clearly not the focus that's fine)

#6 2016-08-25 23:14:14

Different55
Forum Admin

Personally I'd be okay with allowing swearing in images and videos in tagged spoilers across the forums. On the old forums the same thing was allowed with text-y links. Kids are not fragile little creatures who will have their minds permanently scarred by bad words, especially not when they explicitly choose to view them by clicking on a named spoiler. I mean tons of the time they're the ones doing the swearing in the first place.

Tl;dr: I don't have a problem with this but my opinion doesn't really matter beyond "sure why not." It's still up to you guys to say "yes, we want this."

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#7 2016-08-25 23:15:00

Bobithan

^woot that post to say 'yes, we want this'

Woot this post to say 'please no'

go

Wooted by: (3)

#8 2016-08-25 23:26:53, last edited by Koya (2016-08-25 23:29:38)

Koya
Fabulous Member

Bobithan wrote:
Koya wrote:

(edit: actually nothing in the rules permitting explicit content under new conditions @ http://forums.everybodyedits.com/misc.php?action=rules )

That's incredibly pedantic. It says right in the thread that swears are ok in spoilers in only that topic. The main page for rules is not going to go over every single exception for every subforum and thread.

The chat thread is an exception because banning swears there would basically kill the thread due to the differences in rules regarding swearing here and in the game, and that difference especially applies in that specific thread so that's why we permit it.

If anybody has been warned for posting a majorly inoffensive song with swears in the lyrics tell me and I'll remove that warning because I think that's ridiculous. There's a difference between swears in art and swears elsewhere just like the difference between nudity in art and nudity elsewhere. I wouldn't ban somebody for posting a contextually relevant picture of Liberty Leading the People or The Creation of Adam, and similarly I won't ban somebody for posting a youtube link to Kendrick Lamar's Alright.

It would be nice to see it explicitly stated, rather than blurry ghostly rules and guidelines that cannot decide if something is alright or not.

When I reported the threads I was initially linked a few posts down on page 1 (so I didn't read the OP) and there was an untitled spoiler with swearing in it so I reported it, scrolled down and saw more; I didn't come across the OP so I didn't realise that thread was on higher ground.
Permitting breaking the rules for the longevity of the thread doesn't seem like a good move on the official forums of a game who many of the players are kids.

Different55 wrote:

Personally I'd be okay with allowing swearing in images and videos in tagged spoilers across the forums. On the old forums the same thing was allowed with text-y links. Kids are not fragile little creatures who will have their minds permanently scarred by bad words, especially not when they explicitly choose to view them by clicking on a named spoiler. I mean tons of the time they're the ones doing the swearing in the first place.

Tl;dr: I don't have a problem with this but my opinion doesn't really matter beyond "sure why not." It's still up to you guys to say "yes, we want this."

Ok, not all spoilers were tagged in that thread and personally I don't care about swearing when I come across it but with the assumed ages of those here I don't think it should be allowed. If indirect swearing is permitted, the "****" when annoyed or the "****" when something sucks then I think the rules should state it and some of the untagged spoilers would be ok to me but there is still direct swearing in untagged spoilers which most people here I believe would prefer to not have it because it is also bullying (from an outsider POV).

tl;dr - I have an issue with this because the rules say one thing and one thread has exceptions which are only known if you read the OP (I didn't); just want clear rules to that the majority of the staff agree on when it comes to content like this.

Edit: I don't care what the outcome is, I just want to know thought has been put in and there is agreement on the issue by the staff.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#9 2016-08-25 23:30:24

Hexagon

If we're allowing swearing, it should be taken off from the TOS on the everybodyedits.com website.

Wooted by:

#10 2016-08-25 23:34:34, last edited by Different55 (2016-08-25 23:35:21)

Different55
Forum Admin

Hexagon wrote:

If we're allowing swearing, it should be taken off from the TOS on the everybodyedits.com website.

Literally why? They're separately run and if this idea happened obviously forum rules and exceptions override anything the EE ToS has to say.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#11 2016-08-25 23:36:54

Xfrogman43

Swearing should be only in spoilers LABELED "swear" or something of that nature, else = warning.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#12 2016-08-25 23:38:00

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Different55 wrote:
Hexagon wrote:

Literally why? They're separately run and if this idea happened obviously forum rules and exceptions override anything the EE ToS has to say.

If something violates the Everybody Edits Terms of Service, it also violates forum rules.

That language seems rather direct to me. You could add something like "unless otherwise specified", but I'm predicting that that won't happen because most of my criticisms of the rules are considered pedantic.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#13 2016-08-25 23:42:37

hummerz5

^Perhaps you're being pedantic, but I agree. A statement that blankets the ToS should be somewhat tailored to remind the reader that there are exceptions

Wooted by:

#14 2016-08-25 23:42:53

Hexagon

Different55 wrote:
Hexagon wrote:

If something violates the Everybody Edits Terms of Service, it also violates forum rules.

The wording there doesn't sound like it overrides; maybe change it to something clearer.

#15 2016-08-25 23:43:52

Different55
Forum Admin

N1KF wrote:
Different55 wrote:
Hexagon wrote:

That language seems rather direct to me. You could add something like "unless otherwise specified", but I'm predicting that that won't happen because most of my criticisms of the rules are considered pedantic.

For once that actually sounds somewhat reasonable but I'd hate to disappoint you by doing it. Also I'm on a phone right now which makes it just a bit harder to edit the rules page.

- ShinsukeIto

#16 2016-08-26 02:38:24

Ratburntro44
Website

If Diff isn't lazy (ha) he could add an option under profile for if explicit content is okay (perhaps also limiting it according to birth date? I don't know what is ideal) and then have actual tags for explicit links or such, implementation ought to be fairly similar to the hide from guests bbcode, besides the actual setting option mostly of it could probably be straight ripped from that.

#17 2016-08-26 02:40:15, last edited by N1KF (2016-08-26 02:40:43)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Ratburntro44 wrote:

(perhaps also limiting it according to birth date? I don't know what is ideal)

Birth dates aren't set, nor do I desire them to.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#18 2016-08-26 03:27:50

hummerz5

Ratburntro's idea is pretty interesting. You could just sum it up as

[explicit]content[/explicit]

... those without the system set see some small "snipped" message and maybe an explanation. Regular users could see either a spoiler or just the content outright.

#19 2016-08-26 06:23:06, last edited by Different55 (2016-08-26 06:23:16)

Different55
Forum Admin

Ratburntro44 wrote:

If Diff isn't lazy (ha) he could add an option under profile for if explicit content is okay (perhaps also limiting it according to birth date? I don't know what is ideal) and then have actual tags for explicit links or such, implementation ought to be fairly similar to the hide from guests bbcode, besides the actual setting option mostly of it could probably be straight ripped from that.

Don't worry, that's not big enough of a task to trigger my laziness.

- ShinsukeIto

#20 2016-08-26 14:24:13

Yandax

hummerz5 wrote:

Ratburntro's idea is pretty interesting. You could just sum it up as

[explicit]content[/explicit]

... those without the system set see some small "snipped" message and maybe an explanation. Regular users could see either a spoiler or just the content outright.

It might have to small messages, because you could abuse this function by putting your whole message in it, whether or not it had swears, then it would stop some/a lot of people from viewing a post that contributes to the topic.

If I'm taking your idea wrong, please say so, THEN laugh it me. Not the other way around.

Pretend I didn't exist until now

All hail me, the king of insensitive jerks

Woot if you hate me

#21 2016-08-26 14:38:10

hummerz5

^ LOL that's true, users who aren't provided with a stomach for the profane might miss out on a rather intense discussion. At the same time, do we currently even have NSFW discussions that someone would miss out on if they couldn't see? Would that be an issue?

#22 2016-08-26 14:42:45, last edited by Koya (2016-08-26 15:51:52)

Koya
Fabulous Member

hummerz5 wrote:

^ LOL that's true, users who aren't provided with a stomach for the profane might miss out on a rather intense discussion. At the same time, do we currently even have NSFW discussions that someone would miss out on if they couldn't see? Would that be an issue?

How about rather than tags a whole thread is marked, so those who wish to not see certain content don't even come across the thread?
They don't know what they're missing.

Also: Explicit tags available in parallel.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#23 2016-08-26 14:42:55

Yandax

hummerz5 wrote:

Possibly. What are the discussions that you have mentioned?

Even I don't enjoy reading profanity, but I still do if the conversation is interesting/important to me.

So it would effect some users, but a pretty small amount, because most of this forums is 13+ and swearing is second nature.

Woot if you hate me

#24 2016-08-26 14:46:20

hummerz5

Koya that seems the most reasonable; insofar the big issues are entire topics that are predisposed to profanity. At the same time, we can't say there won't be an exception post.

Wooted by:

#25 2016-08-26 14:49:29

Yandax

hummerz5 wrote:

Koya that seems the most reasonable; insofar the big issues are entire topics that are predisposed to profanity. At the same time, we can't say there won't be an exception post.

So would there be no need for tags if  the topic is marked, but you could use them in exception posts? Seems like the topic tag could be less work, and that way the topic owner gets to decide whether or not profanity is needed.

Woot if you hate me

Pingohits1472313226620986

Board footer