Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-09 15:46:58, last edited by TOOP (2016-08-09 15:50:09)

TOOP

TOOP's Summer Contest Reviews, Notes, Etc.

The scores do not inherently reflect the final verdict for some levels, just the initial interpretations. The discussion and comparison of ideas between the judges for the top levels gave each judge different insights of the levels that ended up helping decide the top levels for the community vote.

Preliminary Level Scores:
Lots of reading.

Some reoccurring things I generally found in the submissions. Some of these are not bad things, some of them aren't the best. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
-Save the season
-Ice Cream
-It was all a dream [to be fair, this only happened about three times]
-Failure to use invisible portals/blocks in a cohesive manner
-Challenges that lacked leniency
-Lots of genuine effort from the submitted teams

Next Contest:
Looking back on the previous contests, I've already started planning the next contest and how to make it even better, here are some elements I am highly considering [not confirmed]:
-A less strict theme.
-Merge registration and building period, once you get the green light [a cleared level], your team gets added to the list and can start building immediately.
-More time to build.
I'm open to suggestions as well

#2 2016-08-09 15:53:07

Kira

Re: TOOP's Summer Contest Reviews, Notes, Etc.

So Basically you've chosen the top 15 based on points? That's some great judging there.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2016-08-09 16:05:15

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

Thanks for the Constrictive Criticism!

#4 2016-08-09 16:17:17

SmittyW

The point system looks wack. Gameplay and Theme scores are x2 and Story is x/5? Like Norwaygal said maybe get rid of points and decide by comments since that's what generally happens in the end anyway. You could just pick top 15 and sort from there OR have elimination judging where you compare levels in pairs and pick a favorite of the two until 1 remains.

From Toop's Review of "The Burj"

Story:
Score: 2/5
Reasons: The dialog was kind of wacky, it isn't that much of a problem in regards to the score, except there was one character at the end of the level that seemed fairly brusque, maybe because they could be mistaken for a radical Islamic? Other than that the story was fairly average, though the scarily dangerous waterslide helped create some sort of emotional impact when sliding through the level if you emmersed yourself. Also what's with that creepy sun that grins at you errily whenever you fail, with that one odd tooth and beady eyes? Adding to the discomfort of failing with some uncanny-valley facial features I assume.

I laughed

...I've already started planning the next contest and how to make it even better...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Wooted by: (3)

#5 2016-08-09 16:30:28

Luka504

Nice reviews, but the middle structure doesnt have a forcefield, just a large glass ball, and we give you the blue coin so you can go to the party boat thing
(And yeah the final minis could have used more work)

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#6 2016-08-09 17:26:58

AsurcH

Great work! I am really glad all of the judges have posted their reviews and the fact that this contest seemed like a huge improvement.

I would also like to point out in a certain concern about that amongst all three of you, you kind of have some extravagantly opposite ideas here and there. While diversity is more than welcome, these signs of opposite views amongst the judging display a certain lack of unity in scoring ,and thus leads to a lack of credibility.

If you want feedback or suggestions, I have sounded my opinion here. It is just like 7-8 lines. Or if you are too lazy to click a link i will just quote it here

AsurcH wrote:

I agree that these contests are a huge drama dump every 3 months, but it isn't necessarily because of the contest, but because of how rewards are presented. You are designing a game for children and then compete them with each other and basically select a privileged little group and give out the message to all others "You suck" which I believe is just another way to lose more of your audience for this game. Instead, what you could have done is to set up a threshold score limit, and give any level that has passed that threshold a reward. After that point, give out extra rewards if a group has successfully scored more points. After all is done, you can announce who won most points, and people won't even be this mad, because you are inherently taking precautions on 90% of the cause of all these discussions, which is why people think their level has not been rewarded.

Keep up the good work, I hope it will be ever better on the next contest!

#7 2016-08-10 03:56:31, last edited by Norwee (2016-08-10 03:57:26)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

AsurcH wrote:

I would also like to point out in a certain concern about that amongst all three of you, you kind of have some extravagantly opposite ideas here and there. While diversity is more than welcome, these signs of opposite views amongst the judging display a certain lack of unity in scoring ,and thus leads to a lack of credibility.

I disagree. Having more variety in judging will give more attention to levels that might be differing from one individual judge's expectation of a "good level."
If all judges were alike it would create bad contest results. A level may be liked by a big chunk of the userbase, but because all judges have the same opinion they would only give a good score to levels that fit their narrow viewpoint of good level design. Therefore i believe that a melting pot of different judges will be the solution that benefits us the most.

Relevant quote:

Ravatroll wrote:

I was supposed to be judging this contest but I'll be away during the judging, so I thought I could suggest Norwegianboy as a judge because he imo has an interesting and not mainstream taste in level-design, which would give some new perspective to the judging.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#8 2016-08-10 16:52:24

Kirby

why does my level have very few reasons o_o

#9 2016-08-10 18:02:48

iPwner
Website

Toop wrote:

The dialog was kind of wacky, it isn't that much of a problem in regards to the score, except there was one character at the end of the level that seemed fairly brusque, maybe because they could be mistaken for a radical Islamic? Other than that the story was fairly average, though the scarily dangerous waterslide helped create some sort of emotional impact when sliding through the level if you emmersed yourself. Also what's with that creepy sun that grins at you errily whenever you fail, with that one odd tooth and beady eyes? Adding to the discomfort of failing with some uncanny-valley facial features I assume.

I made it so that guys supposed to be merely Arabish! I can only assume your sunrejected buns has never crossed paths with someone of Arabish origin! Get those buns in the sun Hons, they aren't going to "brown" sittin' in your apartment. There is life outside your apartment.
I know it's hard to conceeeeeive~
but there's life outside your apart-ment!~
and you're only gonna see it if you leeeeeeeave.
There is cool shoite to do, but it can't come to you~
And who knows dooh you might even score!~~
There is life outside your apart-ment,
but you GOT... to O-pen THA door.

Just chiding. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

The sign reads: "Whoaaaaaaaa ma'aaaaaaan me and Allah heard that splash all the way here from my flying cah'pet! Allahu arama'a'åta hindu." All this sign I wrote indicates is that this is an Arabish person funnin' on the beach who happens to be friends with Allah! And if you read the signs you'd note that the entire level is an expensive and wasteful production that's actually ran by southwest Scandinavian male wannabes!-- they're simply mimicking arab culture (Note the word "Arabish" :3) and the water-slide is called "The Burj" as a knack to this nod and a tango in my bonnana if you will.

When we look at The Square is just the EPITOME of emotion, rhye? ;0 I WORSHIP BOREDOM! :3 More bore, oh bore me more, oh baby bore me more you ***re!! ;3 Chiding, chiding! But truthfully, I don't think any other level on EE has actually made me feel as LITTLE emotion as those "story" levels. Litrally just WALKING through a boring faketown with a bootleg poptropica "plot"? Many would say "larger than life", but to describe The Square, it's a mind-birthed creation that actually manages to be "BORINGER than life". Litrally the emotions invoked would be akin to running a pencil in a square and retracing the same line again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again like a rainbow horizon stretching OUT of my bukaka INTO the horizon and into a rising sun. A RISING. F***ING. SUN!!!!! ;3 But yeahLol, criticism bedside... good-ish pix beb! :o You got that white puss! s-l64.jpg :3

CHI-DING!!!

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

iPwner1470848568617976

Board footer