Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-30 18:05:24

rgl32

How do you determine difficulty in levels?

How do you tell what difficulty a level is?

Just in general, I'm curious how everyone determines if a level is easy, hard, or anything in between.

Wooted by: (5)

#2 2016-06-30 18:25:54

Gosha

Re: How do you determine difficulty in levels?

Easy - hold something, jump somewhere
Medium - need to think some about ways how to win map, controls more advanced
Hard - fast clicking arrows , need some tries

Bit in general I just feel what difficulty level is

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2016-06-30 18:41:09

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

The difficulty is an abstract thing ._.
A noob will say that ancient ruins is very hard
A pro will say endurance is easy
maxi123 will say both are dumb and not worth wasting the time

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#4 2016-06-30 18:43:39

rgl32

maxi123 wrote:

Which is why I asked YOU, not someone else, anyone can say something is easy or hard, but how or why do you specifically think something is that difficulty?

#5 2016-06-30 18:46:14

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

rgl32 wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

Which is why I asked YOU, not someone else, anyone can say something is easy or hard, but how or why do you specifically think something is that difficulty?

WELL IDK
If it takes 1 try to beat it's basic
If it takes 20 attempts it's hard
If I can't beat it it's extreme

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#6 2016-06-30 18:54:55, last edited by Slabdrill (2016-06-30 18:56:25)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

easy - i can do it in like 50 tries, mini is short
hard - i can do it in like 50 tries, mini is long (or like 300 in a short mini)

suddenly random sig change

#7 2016-06-30 19:24:17

Xfrogman43

If a mini is made by a well-known *insert difficulty type here*, then it's usually that difficulty.
If a mini is made by a new player who doesn't have any experience making anything then it's basic. If the said player knows a little bit then it might be medium. Hardly ever, if never, has a new player made anything "hard."
If there's a level with a bunch of invisible stuff or spikes everywhere, then it's not hard, just annoying to play and I would quit it because I don't want to waste my time on something that requires pixel perfect movement

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#8 2016-06-30 19:44:39

Luka504

Well for me its like this.
Basic - This is pretty dull to be honest. I just go in a direction and jump occasinaly. Lame.
Basic Easy - Now it has spikes. Ooooooooo.....
Easy - If im having a good time with the world its most likely an easy one. But easy doesnt always mean fun. If someone adds hookjumps its easy, but dull.
Easy Medium - Possibly my favorite difficulty to play EE in and enjoy playing it. I wouldnt call myself a noob but i dont like worlds that make me pull my hair out :I.
Medium - It proposes an actual challenge, i like to play these sort of worlds but some minis can be a bit weird.
Medium Hard - This is sort of the the highest difficulty you can give me and that i can still enjoy playing. If i find it hard but still want to do it, its probably Medium Hard.
Hard - Now is when the veins pop up. I might have a different opinion on hard worlds if i didnt play Ex Crew Oddisey as my first real Hard campaign. I still dread playing these sort of worlds though....
Hard Extreme - ;-; i cant beat Minigame #3
Extreme - If i dont even bother to do the first mini, its Extreme, no question asked.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#9 2016-06-30 20:10:41

Prodigy

See how nub I am

h0qIF0q.png

#10 2016-06-30 20:23:54

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

or if we're going campaign difficulty...

basic: honestly i shouldn't even struggle.
basic-easy: between above and below
easy: i might die a few times on each segment, but each segment is short
easy-medium: fun stagecrew slide minis
medium: slightly harder stagecrew slide minis
medium-hard: precision jumping (the nonprecise kind)
hard: precision jumping combined with tricky slide minis
hard-extreme: see above, but harder
extreme: with enough persistence, i can eventually do it. most minis end up in hard-extreme.
extreme+: screw off, starlight/octorage

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by:

#11 2016-07-01 11:39:24

AsurcH

For me, difficulty is totally separate from the amount of tries you are wasting on a minigame. Difficulty, in my opinion is determined by how easy you can figure out what to do. If you can't beat a minigame after a couple of good tries, that doesn't necessarily mean it is hard, but most certainly means it is meant to be designed either that way, or so poorly designed that the world maker doesn't even care anymore. That, of course, is more related to the topic of what rage factor is. So to sum up, maybe I also can provide a useful chart:

Easy: The minigame is straightforward, there aren't so many things to experiment on it.
Medium: The way you do it might be the right way, but you might be missing a slight detail.
Hard: Even though you have jumped about 6 years until now, you are not at all sure on which way to try first in this minigame.

I will be long below ground before i recognize any other meme difficulty settings that everybody edits had put in campaigns. A door is either open or close, also the whole difficulty scale is a scale itself, so either a basic scale for the sake of simplicity, or a level bar kind of thing would be most suitable.

#12 2016-07-01 13:16:06, last edited by Kira (2016-07-01 13:16:36)

Kira

Basic: Mount uonegatscil / Farm (Bee) / Tutorial Levels.
Basic-Easy: Story levels, Minigames that doesn't require thinking from the player.
Easy: Levels by Iraka
Easy - Medium: Minigames that requires thinking from the player. (Crypts of Anubis as an exemple).
Medium: Starting to get Advanced, need to press 2 buttoms at once (Minigames with a lot of arrows).
Medium-Hard: Need a few tries to succeed, most of the time the most enjoyable difficulty. (Ex Crew Odyssey)
Hard: Starting to get really Advanced, minigames are time consuming, (Naos Antediluvian)
Hard Extreme: Levels Like Forgotten Veil, Machine of malice.
Extreme: Even Harder than the previous ones, Endless Pain as an example.

#13 2016-07-01 14:16:19

rgl32

I base difficulty on how much understanding of the game you need to complete whatever challenge is there.

Easy - Basic platforming stuff, don't need to know how to do stuff (automation, hold whatever levels,etc.).
Medium - challenges that are based around simple physics of the game, the simpler illusion levels.
Hard - challenges that take a while to understand how they work, quick changing movement, majority of the FF type levels would be in this difficulty.
Extreme - Complex illusion levels (two, rotcil illusions, etc.), forced to use very obscure or unknowing parts of physics (some glitches, press a button at a specific time,etc.).

#14 2016-07-01 14:22:06

Kirby

Kira wrote:

Basic: Mount uonegatscil / Farm (Bee) / Tutorial Levels.
Basic-Easy: Story levels, Minigames that doesn't require thinking from the player.
Easy: Levels by Iraka
Easy - Medium: Minigames that requires thinking from the player. (Crypts of Anubis as an exemple).
Medium: Starting to get Advanced, need to press 2 buttoms at once (Minigames with a lot of arrows).
Medium-Hard: Need a few tries to succeed, most of the time the most enjoyable difficulty. (Ex Crew Odyssey)
Hard: Starting to get really Advanced, minigames are time consuming, (Naos Antediluvian)
Hard Extreme: Levels Like Forgotten Veil, Machine of malice.
Extreme: Even Harder than the previous ones, Endless Pain as an example.

jump jump jump is quite a bit easier than mount uonsicliacntisoncaencs tbh

rgl32 wrote:

I base difficulty on how much understanding of the game you need to complete whatever challenge is there.

Easy - Basic platforming stuff, don't need to know how to do stuff (automation, hold whatever levels,etc.).
Medium - challenges that are based around simple physics of the game, the simpler illusion levels.
Hard - challenges that take a while to understand how they work, quick changing movement, majority of the FF type levels would be in this difficulty.
Extreme - Complex illusion levels (two, rotcil illusions, etc.), forced to use very obscure or unknowing parts of physics (some glitches, press a button at a specific time,etc.).

yeah thats basically me.

basic is really easy and self explanatory (hildrens farm, that one spring contest level that was tier 1)
easy involves any level of somewhat skill. maybe a timed jump or two.
medium is story levels, things that you need to understand the game and its mechanics to be able to play.

hard is multiple timed jumps, you would have to play the game for a year or two to even understand what to do, let alone do them.

extreme is hard but moreso. even with understanding of the game, you would struggle.

i think puzzle/story levels shouldnt be placed into these categories, but an "other" category. Or campaigns can have 2 different categories, skill and understanding of the game. Story levels like the square would be low for skill but higher for understanding of the game, but roctil illusions would be high for both.

Wooted by:

#15 2016-07-01 15:36:13, last edited by Aoitenshi (2016-07-01 15:42:30)

Aoitenshi

Fairly simple.

Basic: If you can fail, it's not basic. (Tutorial Levels)
Easy: Split second of flawless motion to progress. (Level 1: Overworld)
Medium: Half to couple seconds of flawless motion to progress. (Terminal)
Hard: A couple to several seconds of flawless motion to progress. (EXCrew Ice Level)
Extreme: Several to dozens of seconds of flawless motion to progress. (Spidey's Abode)

#16 2016-07-02 01:57:04

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

i pretty much base it on how easily i'm able to complete it.
basic is stuff like simple jumps,
easy is like holding things down, key combinations,
medium is when i fail a few times/maybe rage a bit,
I think medium-hard (maybe just medium) and up is anything that has any sort of speed control.
hard is "i can maybe do it if i'm lucky and have someone hold my hand the entire time" and
extreme is "i'm not even going to try"

like, i'd consider snow jumping from wintry wonders at least med-hard if not hard but apparently it's just medium so

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#17 2016-07-02 02:17:14

Minimania
Moderation Team

Basic - If I can complete the minigames in a world under the conditions of extreme lag, then it's basic, no questions asked. 200 Lava Minigames is basic.
Easy - Levels that require thinking, but don't require too much action to be taken, are easy. This can include puzzle worlds and story worlds. Iraka's levels are pretty easy (even though they may be long).
Medium - Here we start to see some concepts of hard levels, but the minigames are still able to be beaten by an at least halfway decent player. Lickagoat and Stagecrew are experts at making these kinds of minigames, and as a result, is my favorite minigame maker in all of Everybody Edits. I also consider a level like EX Crew Odyssey a hard level, as it starts to introduce speed control and a few other concepts.
Hard - Okay, **** has gotten real. This has to be something like NC Naos Antediluvian. It will take me a while to practice, but eventually I will be able to speedrun levels like these.
Extreme - Kiraninja's Endless Pain, and worlds that require pixel perfect movement. If you force me to play minigames like these, and there aren't many checkpoints, I'm going to quit.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#18 2016-07-02 16:44:09

Anatoly

Tutorial #1 - extreme

#19 2016-07-02 18:52:19

Xfrogman43

AnatolyEE wrote:

Tutorial #1 - extreme

Nice overused meme

#20 2016-07-02 19:03:16

SmittyW

A level's difficulty is equivalent to the velocity it takes to complete it. In this case, it would be (minis completed/time(s)). If you are greater than or equal to 1 than the difficulty was extremely easy. Closer to 0 means it was hard.

Wooted by:

#21 2016-07-02 21:07:12, last edited by skullz17 (2016-07-02 21:07:58)

skullz17

I think the difficulty of a mini can be measured by looking at  how quickly you have to switch between keys as well as margin of error in terms of timing. If it's one of stagecrew's typical smooth minis, I guess that is considered medium to many people because it involves changing direction and timing jumps. However for me it is easy because the changes in direction are pretty simple as you have quite a bit of time between each one. Also, I have been playing EE long enough to be able to time the jumps in these kinds of minis as the platforms tend to be large enough. But then you can sometimes have some more complex minis where you have to switch keys quickly, usually because a lot of arrows have been used in the mini. I also think that smaller platforms make a mini harder.

To be honest, switching keys and timing jumps are both just timing a key press, so minis in EE are just all about reaction and timing things correctly. In summary, the less time you have to react (ie the gap between each key press), the harder the mini is.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#22 2016-07-03 09:18:40

jbbill

Just this: Everything is easy-medium except fractured fingers which is all extreme

MCUtZoK.png
Made by HG //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile(and avatar)

#23 2016-07-03 09:32:11

Xfrogman43

jbbill wrote:

Just this: Everything is easy-medium except fractured fingers which is all extreme

If you learn to do them, they are medium-hard, just annoying is the "extreme part"

#24 2016-07-03 16:39:49

Anatoly

Xfrogman43 wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

Tutorial #1 - extreme

Nice overused meme

No, I'm serious.

#25 2016-07-03 19:19:42

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

Well I just play it.

If I know what I am supposed to do but takes me 50 tries it is hard.

If I don't know what  I am supposed to do, but still do it is basic.

If I know what to do and do it first try it is easy.

if I know what ti do but it takes me 100s of tries it is FFS!

Michele1468235416612090

Board footer