Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-06 00:32:53, last edited by Kira (2016-08-19 21:56:11)

Kira

LOTW (Level Of the Week)

In order to encourage people to make levels and to give some work to the current staff(lol), I've thought about this concept that could be qualified as a "never-ending contest".
LOTW, (Level of the Week) is an idea I took from an old game I played on, and I thought it would be cool to have it inside ee, to add some spices to this sandbox game.

Each weeks, the staff will have to judge (or perhaps a small group qualified to judge) submissions made by the players. The theme will switch every weeks, and the best level creator will be rewarded with a smiley you can onoy get by winning a LOTW. I'm pretty sure this will make the game more interesting, and also the idea of having people endlessly competing for a legendary price can only make the game better.

But this goes even further, judges will also post a small review of each levels submitted to help improving some flaws which is of course benefactory.
I didn't post this in Game Suggestions since It's kind of a huge project.

What do you think about this idea overall?
Why would you want to join this kind of contest?
Are you all right with having your level reviewed?
Do you think it can bring more players to create worlds?

Let me know!

#2 2016-02-06 00:38:41

Creature

Re: LOTW (Level Of the Week)

Won't help much because the level owners will most likely be always the same, happens with every contest.

This is a false statement.

#3 2016-02-06 00:41:26

WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM

there will be the same 10 people always competing against eachother to be on the level of the week because they are popular and no one else will ever get a chance to win.

WM malfuntion VgPb7gb.png

Wooted by:

#4 2016-02-06 00:42:59

Napakeun
Formerly goodsmile

It is a huge project indeed. Probably too soon to have something like this with such low regular players. What game did you got this idea from?

#5 2016-02-06 00:43:22, last edited by Kira (2016-02-06 00:44:23)

Kira

Creature wrote:

Won't help much because the level owners will most likely be always the same, happens with every contest.

You stated a fact, but you don't give an actual solution here. We should let players know about this, I'm pretty sure that most of the "noobs" doesn't even know about the existence of forums.
Even if they are newcomers, it doesn't mean they don't have an actual potential in gameplay making/art making, we should give a chance to everyone and not to the casual 'level owners'.

Napakeun wrote:

It is a huge project indeed. Probably too soon to have something like this with such low regular players. What game did you got this idea from?

The game is called Platform Racing 2.

Wooted by:

#6 2016-02-06 00:44:44

21Twelve
Formerly 222Hockey222

This has been tried multiple times and failed multiple times. Good luck, though.

b5c4b4f1a7.png

Wooted by:

#7 2016-02-06 00:48:36, last edited by Kira (2016-02-06 00:50:08)

Kira

222Hockey222 wrote:

This has been tried multiple times and failed multiple times. Good luck, though.

Most likely because it wasn't an 'official' contest, people tend to devote their time and souls when the contest is official (over 100 teams in halloween contest, same thing for easter one).

EDIT: over 300 teams*

#8 2016-02-06 01:31:56

hummerz5

I think it a good idea to try and get people engaged in the game, but you won't solve a whole lot of things with a weekly contest.

Well, I wouldn't want to join this particular contest because I do not generate EE content/levels. (Loaded question?)

(pass)

Some people argue that we have few players because of some block gap. newcomers see the "veterans" with their tons of items and give up because they can't get these quickly and easily. This would not solve that problem.
I don't expect the contest to bring players. Considering how most users here are 3+ yr veterans: Really, we need another spell of players that just don't quit EE. The persistent type. hmm.

#9 2016-02-06 02:04:46

SmittyW

For a reference click here.

The official staff probably doesn't have time to judge, so you'll need a special group of people to do it. Of course, the incentive is to win a smiley, so unlike giving away gems you still need the staff's cooperation.

Also inb4 people complain about a new smiley a week, I think Kira means there is only one smiley to be won and you can only win it once. This might also mean that after the pro's win, they won't bother participating in any more contests.

I'm wary because this idea seems overwhelming. Either you keep the levels small or divvy up the levels between a lot of judges, which might not be fair because everyone judges differently.

I really want to support this but I just feel that there is possibly a better way of hosting a contest with considerably less work. I don't have any ideas right now but I guess brainstorming is what this topic is for.

Wooted by:

#10 2016-02-06 02:06:45

hummerz5

^Oh, good point. I don't see the admins going for this. They seem to have an intense laissez-faire approach to EE... but that's an opinion

#11 2016-02-06 02:39:26

Pingohits
Banned

so let me get this straight:

you want a weekly contest?

791mAP8.png

#12 2016-02-06 03:14:50

WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM

We should not have this because this will disappoint players if they don't win which will drive more players out of the game. The lands are going to be based on popularity not originality.

WM malfuntion VgPb7gb.png

Wooted by:

#13 2016-02-06 03:27:29

Minimania
Moderation Team

This isn't Platform Racing 2

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

#14 2016-02-06 08:04:24

Sensei1

If staff doesn't have time for judging maybe make it so that everyone can vote for a world? Or maybe people would start making alts to vote themselves...

Anyway, I like the idea of kinda having a contest going all the time, people would get motivated to build worlds!

Wooted by:

#15 2016-02-06 12:34:34, last edited by Kira (2016-02-06 12:35:43)

Kira

minimania wrote:

This isn't Platform Racing 2

http://jiggmin.com/threads/96176-Level- … Week-(PR2) -> Is currently offline.

Sensei1 wrote:

If staff doesn't have time for judging maybe make it so that everyone can vote for a world? Or maybe people would start making alts to vote themselves...

Anyway, I like the idea of kinda having a contest going all the time, people would get motivated to build worlds!

That doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I'm afraid that the votes won't be accurate, people can just unit to vote for someone they like, even though the world isn't good.

SmittyW. wrote:

For a reference click here.

The official staff probably doesn't have time to judge, so you'll need a special group of people to do it. Of course, the incentive is to win a smiley, so unlike giving away gems you still need the staff's cooperation.

Also inb4 people complain about a new smiley a week, I think Kira means there is only one smiley to be won and you can only win it once. This might also mean that after the pro's win, they won't bother participating in any more contests.

I'm wary because this idea seems overwhelming. Either you keep the levels small or divvy up the levels between a lot of judges, which might not be fair because everyone judges differently.

I really want to support this but I just feel that there is possibly a better way of hosting a contest with considerably less work. I don't have any ideas right now but I guess brainstorming is what this topic is for.

I think 100x100 worlds could be fine, I don't want to put too much restrictions for the players since It's more than a creative contest than anything. To be fair, 1 week is way than enough to make a level:
Theme posted on Monday - Start Building
Submissions Closed on Saturday 0:00 GMT+1
Results posted on Sunday in the afternoon.

Even if it takes a lot of time, I feel like you can't do anything if you're not willing to spare some time to it. Hosting a contest like this is indeed, not going to be easy but definitely doable.

WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM wrote:

We should not have this because this will disappoint players if they don't win which will drive more players out of the game. The lands are going to be based on popularity not originality.

Didn't you read the thread thoroughly?

The winner of a LOTW weekly contest is chosen by a group of professionals who are mature enough not to let 'famous' players win this contest just because they're friends.

Pingohits wrote:

so let me get this straight:

you want a weekly contest?

I do.

hummerz5 wrote:

I think it a good idea to try and get people engaged in the game, but you won't solve a whole lot of things with a weekly contest.

Well, I wouldn't want to join this particular contest because I do not generate EE content/levels. (Loaded question?)

(pass)

Some people argue that we have few players because of some block gap. newcomers see the "veterans" with their tons of items and give up because they can't get these quickly and easily. This would not solve that problem.
I don't expect the contest to bring players. Considering how most users here are 3+ yr veterans: Really, we need another spell of players that just don't quit EE. The persistent type. hmm.

That's why there's going to be unlimited items soon.

Like I said before, I'm sure this contest will bring a lot of people to make levels since It's official, also the point of this contest isn't to dissapoint players, but to help them improve in term of level making and giving some kind of goal to the players.

Wooted by:

#16 2016-02-06 13:18:53

Creature

Sensei1 wrote:

Level of the Week: code is 1111

This is a false statement.

#17 2016-02-06 14:16:45

Kira

Expect the contest to have some rules. <

#18 2016-02-06 15:08:10

Pingohits
Banned

are you going to archive the winners of previous weekly contests?

791mAP8.png

#19 2016-02-06 15:43:00

Kira

Pingohits wrote:

are you going to archive the winners of previous weekly contests?

I will make a thread specially with the winners.
I believe I can add levels that stood out aswell.

#20 2016-02-06 17:00:32

Prodigy

I love this idea //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile It would be a nice replacement for the featured levels tab in lobby.

h0qIF0q.png

#21 2016-02-06 17:17:15

Anatoly

sholdnt this be in the level categorty?

#22 2016-02-06 17:18:46

Kira

AnatolyEE wrote:

No this shouldn't be in level categorty, I already explained why tho.

#23 2016-02-06 17:49:52

Anatoly

Kira wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

level category =/= Game Discussion

#24 2016-02-06 17:52:31

Hostage
Banned
Website

AnatolyEE wrote:
Kira wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

there's 1 thing called minimodding but what you're doing is just bad minimodding

35fa6ee9efa7e42687d426ffeba72dbdb9a95cbfb7d221d698ca2146feebab7c.jpg

Wooted by:

#25 2016-02-06 18:40:06

Anatoly

Hostage wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:
Kira wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

there's 1 thing called minimodding but what you're doing is just bad minimodding

better then nothing? Whats minimodding?

SPT1471726364620120

Board footer