Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-29 21:19:25, last edited by Calicara (2015-11-29 21:22:14)

Calicara

Is EE A Kids Game?

In light of the recent dialogue concerning the issues of bans it has been said that EE is a kids game. This justification is used by moderators to ban older players who are disrespectful in a game which is considered to be child friendly. However, though the premise of EE is set up to be a kids game, a fair share of it's player are eighteen and up. Though it wasn't as if adults flocked to this game over night, it is because most of us who are older and long term players; people who had played when we were children, and now are adults.

Most long term players have changed, whether they have become more mature, or raucous. Often we can be inappropriate, though sometimes not meaning to be, as acting this way has become a part of our growing lexicon. We may also be better in some ways in terms of world building, programming, and other EE related activities, as we have had time to learn and improve on our skills. Thus sometimes older players come off as condescending. We also have had time to build and form our own communities, which is why we may come off as inclusive. This often leads to many issues between the older players and the younger players.

So often we see instances of swearing and harassment, none of which may be with volatile intent, but may come off as derogatory to unknowing users. In order to deal with this the staff have tried to cater to both age groups. One way is allowing the community to actively help with the game development through game suggestions and community activities like contests. They have also added a feature to uncensor chat for those who have beta, allowing a wider range of language use for players who with to use it.

However, these activities can again feel very inclusive for new users. 'Newbs' as we may call them, may often make unpopular game suggestion and are thus ignored. Newbs can enter contest, but are often overlooked by the same players who win over and over again. Regular players may feel excluded for not being able to turn off their chat filter. People who do turn off their filter may report players out of context, and what might be a friendly argument could turn into a ban for harassment. There have also been issues before for drawing things in regards to nudes. People have been banned for drawing scantily clad woman, or suggestive human anatomies, though in most other communities outside of EE this would be nothing more than artistic nude.

The staff tries so hard to cater to both age groups, I think they end up coming off as contradictory. EE might be a kids game at heart, but it's community is not. So if the staff wants to make it a kids game than so be it, but then I don't think they should keep catering to the older community. A solely kids game might be something along the lines of Club Penguin. It has a fair strict moderation system, with little community involvement and full developer control. It's hard to be ambiguous when the players aren't making the rules. But so long as the staff continues to allow the dichotomies between younger players and older players there are always going to be issues involving what should and should not be considered a bannable behavior.

Thoughts?

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#2 2015-11-29 21:24:31

BEE

Re: Is EE A Kids Game?

As an adult, I have no issue and never have had an issue with the current or past set up of the rules and enforcement of such.

Just don't be an ****, child or adult, and you won't be banned.

It's that simple.

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

Wooted by: (4)

#3 2015-11-29 21:39:56

Prodigy

Hmm Nou is in it so I guess it isn't //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

h0qIF0q.png

#4 2015-11-29 21:41:29

Creature

Take out the chat from younger (12-) users who don't like seeing swears.

This is a false statement.

#5 2015-11-29 21:44:11

Prodigy

Creature wrote:

Take out the chat from younger (12-) users who don't like seeing swears.

I know some people like that -_- I don't like it ... they get annoying and say that they got to keep word filter on so they could not see the danger in words

I like word filter off :3

h0qIF0q.png

#6 2015-11-29 21:53:42

RavaTroll

I see EE as a 10-20 yo game.

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2015-11-29 22:05:48

AmdS
Website

If I understanded this post correctly, I'm going to post my opininon.

"Above all, be kind and use common sense. We want to keep Everybody Edits a nice place for young and old. Do your best to keep a nice atmosphere in the game. Do not worry about a the staff being unfair; everyone is given a fair warning before being banned; unless you are directly and obviously violating the rules. And remember, everyone is here to have fun!"
-EE Staff 2015

Yes, EE is for kids, not for kids only because we see that EE got most of adult players too and almost of all of them don't know respect some rules. And I agree with you when someone starts playing EE since 2011 everything be changed. Or maybe, the players are more than 11 years and maybe improved skills and minds.

#8 2015-11-29 22:23:37

oranj
EE Homegirl
Website

age isn't an excuse to act douchey...  kids should be punished for disobeying the rules or they'll never learn

f0872edc17bb4a21a24c813c41c4f8b8.png
An orange made of Oranjes

#9 2015-11-29 22:25:34

shadowda

I have the answer. split ee into EE Jr. and EE Sr. one for kids and one for adults.

No. in all seriousness, most of these kids are probably use to hearing such words, or maybe just the kids i'v seen over the past few years . despite ee being a "kids" game i see lots of adults. lets just leave ee as it is and not do anything irrational, like make crazy rules, or split the game.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#10 2015-11-29 23:59:09

Erquerliet

Yes, I agree. This game doesn't contain anything unfriendly for kids, but some of us are playing this game for 4-5 years. That's a lot and it's fair to say most of the players have grown up.

TnhaiGq.png

#11 2015-11-30 00:09:18, last edited by 272 (2015-11-30 00:09:50)

EE is a game for ages 13+... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Despite what people say, Different55 is the best mod.

#12 2015-11-30 00:31:18

Prodigy

272 wrote:

EE is a game for ages 13+... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Most people I know are either 13 or more

h0qIF0q.png

#13 2015-11-30 00:36:50

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

no tl;dr?
kkthxbye

Krosis.gif

#14 2015-11-30 00:54:02

Insanity

make it 18+

ez brah

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by:

#15 2015-11-30 00:54:48

NegaStrife
Formerly ~MeleeTonikZ

Arkonagames wrote:

no tl;dr?
kkthxbye

tl;dr
Is Everybody Edits a kids game?

sig.php?colour=hex8866ee&uname=Alphabet&pp=1&countryrank&darktriangles&onlineindicator=undefined

#16 2015-11-30 01:43:25, last edited by Calicara (2015-11-30 01:43:53)

Calicara

Arkonagames wrote:

no tl;dr?
kkthxbye

~MeleeTonikZ wrote:

Is Everybody Edits a kids game?

If you're not going to contribute to the conversation please don't post.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#17 2015-11-30 01:45:26

Aoitenshi

Due to COPPA EE is at least for 13 years and older.

Younger and they risk being exposed to the dark side of the net.

#18 2015-11-30 02:13:58

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Aoitenshi wrote:

Due to COPPA EE is at least for 13 years and older.

Younger and they risk being exposed to the dark side of the net.

COPPA is a U.S. Federal law and states that you need parental permission to join a website if you're under thirteen, and blah blah privacy policy and don't collect information if people are under 13.
HOWEVER, EE has never been based in the United States -- Chris lives in Denmark (which isn't the US) and Nou lives in the Netherlands (which also isn't in the US). So technically, it doesn't apply to EE.

also 10/10 staff on not having the Terms page be linked on the ee website, and only in the game itself. note to self; ask some staff member why there isn't a privacy policy. also this is outdated slightly

As for the actual topic...
I don't know. I don't think EE's a 'kids game' or an 'adult game'. It appeals to both demographics while still remaining mostly family friendly. There's no real set criteria on what makes a kid's game a kid's game. I think if you really want to make EE 100% appropriate for kids, then ask for ages and remove chat for anyone under 13. Expand quickchat. Maybe do something like Webkinz and have set phrases people can say that are like, selectable. Don't have the game completely separate, though.

some more brainstorming on this specific subject

Honestly, I think the gameplay itself puts it more into the 13+ age range. it's probably a bit difficult for like, really young kids. not really educational like you'd expect from a kids game.

really, it depends on how you define 'kids game'. EE's kind of in a grey area. seriously, everyone's throwing around the phrase "kid's game" without specifying what that even means. to me, it's dumb, simple words, bright colors, and education. and usually not multiplayer, because blah blah user generated content isn't rated by the ESRB.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

#19 2015-11-30 02:52:56

BEE

I teach ten year olds. The fine motor skills required to play EE makes it too difficult to play efficiently at that age level. I'd probably place it in the 12+ range for pick-up playability, meaning the age range is more for teens than kids.

Wooted by:

#20 2015-11-30 02:59:15

Minimania
Moderation Team

Target age range doesn't specify if it's a kid's game or not (although I really wish it did.) I mean, look at Call Of Duty. The oldest COD player recently turned 13, right? Isn't it aimed at 18+ year olds?

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by: (3)

#21 2015-11-30 03:12:41

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

all those people talking about separete ee, making below ages users have limited/non chat, is this so bad if a kid see a word like ''idiot''? ok about the mature content, but it dosen't really makes sense, the staff can always clear/edit they, also who would enter these worlds, they're all sinked to the bottom(actually i saw one with 20 players yesterday ;-;) just make a better supervisioning of the worlds and wrost punishment for mature content drawed, not talking about the chat, if a kid get addicted to a game, whatever game not being necessary a game above their ages, their parents probrably will know if they care about the content they see on the web, it's not everything parent's fault if their childs are seeing content they shouldn't, but the parents should be more attent to this, and all this 13 years thing?  what would you do if most of yours friends got chatbanned because they're below aged? age dosen't mean maturity,
tl;dr: stay as it is

Krosis.gif

#22 2015-11-30 03:33:58

Aoitenshi

BEE wrote:

I teach ten year olds. The fine motor skills required to play EE makes it too difficult to play efficiently at that age level. I'd probably place it in the 12+ range for pick-up playability, meaning the age range is more for teens than kids.

motoric skill vs age doesnt really mix together, even kids can be pro given enough time to train

for instance i used to be a danmaku hardcore in arcades as a 7 year old

#23 2015-11-30 03:47:38

BEE

Aoitenshi wrote:
BEE wrote:

motoric skill vs age doesnt really mix together, even kids can be pro given enough time to train

for instance i used to be a danmaku hardcore in arcades as a 7 year old

That's why I said "pick-up playability". For example, Minecraft is fairly popular among children, despite a few difficult motor skills needed to play it efficiently, but since the game is popular among their friends, they have more incentive to stick to it and play it more to get better at it. This is different than pick-up playability, which is purely "how well could they play it the first time." This, unfortunately, depends widely on the levels active in EE at the time that the user logs in for the first time, hence why I rated it around 12+

#24 2015-11-30 08:48:27

nlmdejonge

> Is EE A Kids Game?

If you mean 'just for kids', then no.
If you mean 'aims to be kids-friendly', then yes.

Other than that, the world isn't perfect; EE isn't perfect; nothing and nobody is perfect.
When people are together, whether old and/or young, there are always some issues/problems that need work.
This is okay. It's an ongoing process, a constant work-in-progress; the community is alive.
That's fine. There's no need to look for a perfect formula to prevent all issues/problems.

Yes, sometimes players may think that bans they got for swearing/harassing/being inappropriate were undeserved.
But if they chose to walk the fine line between what is and isn't kids-friendly behavior, they knew the risks.
It's not difficult to stay on the safe side.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

Wooted by: (2)

#25 2015-11-30 11:11:16

Zumza

People have been banned for drawing scantily clad woman, or suggestive human anatomies

Are there mods / admins that pre<snip> just by seeing a women face?
I don't know how is in other countries but I live in Europe, and Europe has a large and rich cultural heritage and you may see some <snip> statues everywhere. In some rare cases some pigeons may censor some parts by making nests, but were getting off topic.
But after all, there should be a line between art and making inappropriate discussions.

Last edited by the inner consciousness

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

Helvi1450117642566526

Board footer