Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

BEE

Contest Feedback and Solutions

Edit: This thread has been bumped up for feedback for all future contests.

Previous first post:

The current set-up of the contest is a little flawed so we thought that we could try to fix it.

The original post with proposed solutions can be found later on.

The current agreed upon solution was proposed by mustang is as follows

1. Levels will be chosen by a panel of judges, no less than 10 judges made up of mods and past contest winners.

A. Judges would receive a small prize for judging, as an incentive, but not the full prize awarded to first place winners.
B. Voting will not occur amongst members or the public due to how manipulable voting online can be.

2. Contest Criteria should be clear to the contestants.

A.Saying what the judges are looking for (theme relation, minigames, art originality etc) is important.
B.Undetermined whether it would be better to represent this in % or "score out of 10" terms.
C. Have "Automatic disqualification" criteria (e.g. EE smilies, imported art, sprites, minis that are not possible, etc)

3. Have finalists.

A. Its important that people realize how close to winning they got. It can be insulting to put a lot of effort into a level then be equated on the same level as unfinished levels with smilies in them
B. Probably about twice as many finalists as winners, so if there are 5 winning teams, ten would be finalists.

Other options include having smaller contests for novice players. With an energy "max cut off" of 300 or something, or perhaps simply a "cannot have won a previous competition"

To discourage more experienced players from participating, the prizes would be small (under +250 energy) or perhaps a mentoring program could be set up (kinks to work out include determining experienced from novice players)

Last edited by BEE (Nov 28 2011 9:55:29 pm)

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#2 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Re: Contest Feedback and Solutions

Only people with experience can vote for a level.

Like, based on items bought in the shop

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#3 Before February 2015

BEE

Sadly, our solutions can't have to do with needing ingame implementations, because chris wouldnt add them for a million years.

#4 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Yes, it does seem a bit unfair. How about choosing, say, 50 people to judge? Experienced players.

#5 Before February 2015

BEE

I like that, Ill add it, but how do we pick those players. And would they not be allowed to compete then?

#6 Before February 2015

treejoe4

BEE wrote:

I like that, Ill add it, but how do we pick those players. And would they not be allowed to compete then?

You pick trust worthy players who make GOOD levels

#7 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

There wouldn't be a quality that would make them a judge, just off of knowledge.

Or a vote to vote for judges.

They should be able to play. Just because you're a judge doesn't make you more apt to win.

#8 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

BEE wrote:

Sadly, our solutions can't have to do with needing ingame implementations, because chris wouldnt add them for a million years.

Not necessarily, Chris has agreed to help out in some ways with implementing an actual contest system. Whether it's an in-game solution or not remains to be seen, but at least it's not completely of the table.

Also, I approve of this topic. I'll make sure to read this through as much as possible for future contests.

#9 Before February 2015

Calicara

Here's what I think.

I don't agree with public voting, because no matter what people will abuse the system. Even if everyone person is only allowed to vote once, that doesn't mean the voting system will work. There's always bribing, black-mailing, and over course the "well he's my friend and so I don't care if his level sucks I'm voting for it."

The only way this might have worked is if the judges picked what would have been the top 20 levels then used public voting for the top 10.

When you say then same people always win, I agree. It's not fair, but there is alot at stake. The judges can't let people with bad levels win, because it wouldn't be fair to those with good levels. I think though that eventually EE will have so many great artists it will be really hard to pick a winner.

#10 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

Oh, how did I forget this?

*sticky*

#11 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

By the way, this isn't a topic to complain. Suggestions only.

FailGirl101 wrote:

I think though that eventually EE will have so many great artists it will be really hard to pick a winner.

I highly disagree. For every good artist, there will be 10 horrible ones. Unless something changes world-wide, it will always be that way.

Point is, submissions will always be the same: Amazing ones, good ones, and A LOT of bad ones.

#12 Before February 2015

Varrith

Bee, I have one issue with the "Voting". People can make more forum accounts and vote themselves on the other account. Aka cheat, and people WILL do that. Just would need to make accounts, make a level that could, possibly, be considered in the contest, and vote their own.

Last edited by Varrith (Apr 21 2011 5:04:13 pm)

#13 Before February 2015

Bobithan

Failgirl101 wrote:

I don't agree with public voting, because no matter what people will abuse the system. Even if everyone person is only allowed to vote once, that doesn't mean the voting system will work

I thought there was going to be public voting so I was planning that if my team somehow made it to the top 20, I would email all of my contacts saying "vote for me" with a link to where you vote...

Varrith wrote:

Bee, I have one issue with the "Voting". People can make more forum accounts and vote themselves on the other account. Aka cheat, and people WILL do that. Just would need to make accounts, make a level that could, possibly, be considered in the contest, and vote their own

There is such a thing as IP address to prevent that.

And I have a suggestion for future contests:
There should be 3 winners for the Great World, 3 massive winners, 3 wide winners and 3 large winners. I'm suggesting this because even though you were allowed to enter with a large or wide world, there were no large or wide winners.
Future contest theme ideas:

The birthday of Everybody Edits (did it already pass or do we still have time? oh well... we can still do it next year)
Halloween
Minigames. Nothing but minigames. Art has nothing to do with it.
Stairs. Let's see how people can make stair levels original. I would love to see contest entries for this.

Last edited by Bobithan (Apr 21 2011 5:45:12 pm)

aka towwl

#14 Before February 2015

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Bobithan wrote:
Varrith wrote:

Bee, I have one issue with the "Voting". People can make more forum accounts and vote themselves on the other account. Aka cheat, and people WILL do that. Just would need to make accounts, make a level that could, possibly, be considered in the contest, and vote their own

There is such a thing as IP address to prevent that.

There's a such thing as a proxy to counter that.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#15 Before February 2015

BEE

In my ideal situation, the contest would not be "sign up" but rather "judges pick from everyone who wants to submit a level."

1. There would basically be a running thread in a contest forum. People would apply to gain access to the "eligible contest participants" list.Once on this list they are allowed to participate in any contests. Applications would include their max energy in game (would need to be over 225 or something minimal that would mean they have played for at least a week) as well as a sample level of their own or co-op work.

2. The theme would then be announced to the eligibles who could then form teams with other eligibles. (To prevent a mass overload, you would shut down eligibility applications a few days before the contest is   announced)

3. Judges would then be made up of either all eligibles, or just the ones who did not participate this time. They could get one or two votes (depending on whether or not we let them vote for their own level).
Thoughts?
Oh and:

even though you were allowed to enter with a large or wide world, there were no large or wide winners.

No one actually submitted a wide world and I believe TGT was the only submitter for a large one.
Edit2:   Also, I feel like stickies are not good for discussions, especially in this forum where stickies are pretty much ignored. I honestly thought my thread was deleted or moved until I looked in my profile for it.

Last edited by BEE (Apr 21 2011 6:29:48 pm)

#16 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Ok, I just came up with an amazing idea.

Have the contest as is. When it comes down to the judging, they divide all the levels into 2 groups: Basic or Advanced.

There is one winner per group.

This way, newbies aren't trying to compete with pros. Pros will always win the way it is now, making it unfair for non-pros.

#17 Before February 2015

BEE

I would only be okay with that Tako if smiley and sprite art got you autodisqualified.

#18 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

More judges, each gets a set of levels. Bad ones are thrown, top. 20 get shared for all judges to play and go from there.

#19 Before February 2015

supadorf24

BEE wrote:

Also, I feel like stickies are not good for discussions, especially in this forum where stickies are pretty much ignored. I honestly thought my thread was deleted or moved until I looked in my profile for it.

True dat. Stickies are just naturally turn-offs.

#20 Before February 2015

BEE

Added yours drock

#21 Before February 2015

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

I personally thought having a panel of judges was more fair then public voting...because there would always be unfair votes numerous times. Also, I like whoever said that there should be two categories, beggining and advanced, then like a top ten from each group. (5 firsts 5 seconds) and maybe the contestants could enter their levels into the category of their choosing.

Like if there was a begginer team, then they could enter theirs into the beginner category, and hVe a chance at top ten in their category.

If that makes ANY sense

#22 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Pyromaniac wrote:

I personally thought having a panel of judges was more fair then public voting...because there would always be unfair votes numerous times. Also, I like whoever said that there should be two categories, beggining and advanced, then like a top ten from each group. (5 firsts 5 seconds) and maybe the contestants could enter their levels into the category of their choosing.

Like if there was a begginer team, then they could enter theirs into the beginner category, and hVe a chance at top ten in their category.

If that makes ANY sense

It was me who suggested that, and the problem with choosing your own side is that a pro team could enter as a noob and then we'd have the same problem we have now

#23 Before February 2015

Cola1

BEE wrote:

1. Require winning players to have none of their team members for the next contest

If we are having a Halloween Contest in October then F*** YEAH BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING!

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#24 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Cola1 wrote:
BEE wrote:

1. Require winning players to have none of their team members for the next contest

If we are having a Halloween Contest in October then F*** YEAH BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING!

Remember, it doesn't make YOU better, it makes everyone else worse.

#25 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

De-stickied at BEE's request.

Very interesting suggestions thrown around, but if we're gonna make some actual changes we're gonna have to have a very solid system for this that both mods and players can agree on.

I like the discussion you have going though, very enlightening.

BEE142389410967323

Board footer