Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

jakery

Broken Dreams - an experiment with coin blocks

I decided to make use of my small room.

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWAHzj0NVya0I

This level is inspired by the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The main character is having his memories erased, so the world physically disintegrates as time goes by. At first the blocks that disappear only allow access to other coins, but later, significant portions of the world start disappearing, making navigation difficult, and making the world look like it's falling apart as you progress.

I only have 40 coin blocks to work with right now, but my vision is to have the entire level disappear when you collect the last coin.

You like?

#2 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Broken Dreams - an experiment with coin blocks

like the idea and it was fun to play.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 Before February 2015

robban39

good idea but to easy

#4 Before February 2015

Wezza

WIN! nice concept, maybe you could make the :l blocks coin doors too?

GL

#5 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Oh shi-

Really, really original. I like the idea.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#6 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

We just got a new game mode!

#7 Before February 2015

jakery

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I do plan to make the whole thing coin blocks when I earn enough blocks to make it possible. Right now I'm using all 40, and I have 500/1000 spent toward my next 10.

#8 Before February 2015

Cyclopsicle

awesome game just saw different55 there 1bigsmile1

#9 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

I came, I left, I logged in, I conquered in less than a minute and a half.

- ShinsukeIto

#10 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Good level

#11 Before February 2015

jakery

Different55 wrote:

I came, I left, I logged in, I conquered in less than a minute and a half.

Yeah, and that was probably including the 30-second chat we exchanged.

It's true... the level will be easy and it will be quick, even when I turn every :l block into a coin block and complete the level. Without unlimited coin blocks, this concept will never carry over to a larger map.

But this level is also turning into an example of my beliefs on level design: Difficulty doesn't matter. What matters is the experience.

Edit:
Also, if you've never seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, my inspiration for this level, I highly recommend it. Incredible movie starring Jim Carey, Kate Winslet, Frodo, and Mary Jane Watson. I'm watching it again on Netflix streaming video right now.

Last edited by jakery (Mar 19 2011 2:38:29 pm)

#12 Before February 2015

Koto

lol, funny you should mention that movie, it's my mom's favorite.   I've seen it about 100 times.   Cool idea, I've thought about something like that before, but never even tried to attempt it.   Good Job.

#13 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Jim Carey was in a serious movie? O:<

Well, if you don't know me very well I love to experiment with other people's ideas. Unfortunately society frowns at that, so I have to get peoples' permission.

So, can I make a level like this? I can put "Idea by jakery" at the bottom if you want.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#14 Before February 2015

jakery

TakoMan02 wrote:

Jim Carey was in a serious movie? O:<

Well, if you don't know me very well I love to experiment with other people's ideas. Unfortunately society frowns at that, so I have to get peoples' permission.

So, can I make a level like this? I can put "Idea by jakery" at the bottom if you want.

Go for it. I'm hoping other people take my idea and expand it.

There are a handful of serious Jim Carey movies, but Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show are the only ones worth seeing.

#15 Before February 2015

BunnySMG

I played the level when you posted it and quite enjoyed it, but I also want to tell you how awesome that sig is.

#16 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

I love how it feels that you've really made an effort to make the design as fluid to play as possible. Works perfectly, good job.

#17 Before February 2015

jakery

Level slightly updated... now uses 60 coin blocks. Construction blocks are the coin blocks I plan   to add when I hit 70.

BunnySMG wrote:

I played the level when you posted it and quite enjoyed it, but I also want to tell you how awesome that sig is.

RPGMaster2000 wrote:

I love how it feels that you've really made an effort to make the design as fluid to play as possible. Works perfectly, good job.

I'm glad you like it.

April 06 update:
Now uses 70 coins, but not significant enough to bump this thread. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Last edited by jakery (Apr 6 2011 8:16:39 am)

#18 Before February 2015

Cola1

That was a fun level!
I can't wait till when the whole level vanishes at the last coin :3

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#19 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Got updated? Time to replay.

- ShinsukeIto

#20 Before February 2015

zhoomy

ownage level

#21 Before February 2015

Shy Guy

Epic level! Can't wait til it's finished!

#22 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

It still amazes me how you did this... perfect combination of art and mini's... original... fun...

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#23 Before February 2015

Koto

Jakery: Once I finish my level: Storage Zone, I think I may use this idea, but in a different form, because I have an idea of how to use it.   I'll give you credit for the inspiration though, k?

#24 Before February 2015

TrappedTime

Wow, this level has gotten a lot of popularity since I first played it. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile great job!
(Btw, epic idea, but maybe not have any normal bricks at all. Get a TON of coin doors and you should be able to make the level)

#25 Before February 2015

jakery

Now using 79 coin bricks and 25 coins.

This level has gotten complex enough that making any changes creates a ripple effect. Any time I add a coin, add a block, or change a number on a block, I have to change the numbers on most of the other blocks, and then retest the level. It's gotten so bad that adding a single coin requires 15 minutes of revision and retesting. (The blue coin represents a yellow coin I want to add, and the three blue coins are a wall I want to add, but then I have to add 1 to all the other blocks or the level breaks)

I need a tool to help plan out level changes. Believe it or not, a spreadsheet with formulas and conditional formatting works really well. Check it out:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key … y=COm2-csH

-I change the "collected" value (AA2) and the entire grid updates to display what the level will look like.
-I change one of the master block numbers on the far right, and all the bigger-number coinblocks update to reflect the change.

(I have to restrict it to View Only; if you want to play around with it, do File->Download As (excel) and then open it in Excel or Google Docs)

---

TrappedTime wrote:

Wow, this level has gotten a lot of popularity since I first played it. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile great job!
(Btw, epic idea, but maybe not have any normal bricks at all. Get a TON of coin doors and you should be able to make the level)

Yeah, that's my plan. I figure 400 bricks should be enough. I have 90 right now. Almost 25% there.

Edit:

KingOfTheOzone wrote:

Jakery: Once I finish my level: Storage Zone, I think I may use this idea, but in a different form, because I have an idea of how to use it.   I'll give you credit for the inspiration though, k?

Fine by me.

Last edited by jakery (Apr 8 2011 12:38:45 pm)

jakery 1423764756196676

Board footer