Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2024-04-30 05:20:17

Kira

Re: Project PixelWalker: EE Multiplayer Remake

Gosha wrote:

also PLEASE do not add a lot of blocks or missing colors to packages.
I have a strong opinion that adding a lot of options in choice of blocks for builds kills creativity at a wider scale and breaks simplicity of the game.
note that i am not saying to not add new blocks at all, but please keep it as simple as possible. and 100% no hex block

? Hex Blocks opens the door to endless creativity, why would we not add that

#27 2024-04-30 07:21:46

Minimania
Moderation Team

Kira wrote:
Gosha wrote:

I have a strong opinion that adding a lot of options in choice of blocks for builds kills creativity at a wider scale and breaks simplicity of the game.
note that i am not saying to not add new blocks at all, but please keep it as simple as possible. and 100% no hex block

having more tools to be creative with obviously makes you less creative

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#28 2024-04-30 10:26:29

Kira

Minimania wrote:
Kira wrote:
Gosha wrote:

That makes no sense

#29 2024-04-30 15:38:25

Minimania
Moderation Team

Kira wrote:
Minimania wrote:
Kira wrote:
Gosha wrote:

That makes no sense

nice okay so im not the only person who thinks so, good to know

21cZxBv.png

Wooted by:

#30 2024-04-30 17:49:31

NoNK

Minimania wrote:
Kira wrote:
Gosha wrote:

if you have seen kira's work you will realize that this does not apply to him

Wooted by: (2)

#31 2024-04-30 19:16:05

John

New update from yesterday that I forgot to post! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Version 0.6.1-alpha Changelog

Additions

• Add the /givecrown and /takecrown command.

• Added player list icons for god mode rights and edit rights.

Fixes

• Only broadcast crown changes when the user is receiving the crown. Fixes reset issue as well.

• Fix normal white background being a foreground block.

PW?scale=2

#32 2024-04-30 20:54:09

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Minimania wrote:

Sort of. With fewer blocks, things are less standardized. Before fire blocks were added, you had to draw fire yourself, and each interpretation will be slightly different.

It also becomes harder to decide which blocks to use, but this can be solved with some self-restraint. Most levels that I've actually completed use a limited selection of blocks, and I do better at sprite work when there are fewer colors to choose from.

With more blocks, certainly people will be more creative in other ways. The "Pretty How Town" campaign world is a pretty good example of using blocks in creative ways.

It's ultimately a trade-off, and I think there is some benefit to preserving the simpler block selection.

IMO the bigger problems are sustainability, and the interface:

Having hundreds of blocks makes it harder to update them to look better and more consistent. Similar concepts, such as various brick tilings are spread across various packages with different art styles. Some blocks are niche, and I think it is better to improve on existing blocks (there are some iffy hue shifts like blue and grey Brick blocks) before adding these.

The blocks are poorly organized in the edit tab. It would be much neater for example, if standard colors were presented vertically, in a grid. Holiday packs are also scattered around. The current menu system was fine when there were like 100 blocks, but looks very messy for EEO.

#33 2024-04-30 21:07:37

MartenM
Website

In order to get maximum creativity all worlds be limited to 25x25!

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

Wooted by: (4)

#34 2024-05-01 06:08:18

Kira

After building a few worlds with HEX blocks/backgrounds/decorations/spikes, vision zones and customizable effects, it really opened a new world for me inside Everybody Edits, which wasn't possible before. After over a decade of building the same thing, over and over again, I often grew tired of making a new world, abandoning it after a few hours of building. Everybody Edits is a sandbox, a 2D one at that, and yes there are an infinite amount of possibilities inside the game, however concept wise most of them have already been done and redone with the same type of blocks and combinations. The fact that we have access to HEX, make it endless and fun to build. Not only the worlds will look better, but the builders are now enticed to making higher quality worlds with less effort and more fun.

I don't see a single argument that goes against the addition of HEX that actually makes sense, but do try to prove me wrong though.

Wooted by:

#35 2024-05-02 03:15:25

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Kira wrote:

The fact that we have access to HEX, make it endless and fun to build. Not only the worlds will look better, but the builders are now enticed to making higher quality worlds with less effort and more fun.

I don't see a single argument that goes against the addition of HEX that actually makes sense, but do try to prove me wrong though.

Some problems with hex blocks in general:

It would likely be heavier on the game on performance, bandwidth, and world download size. If there are hundreds or thousands of unique colored blocks on-screen, that could easily multiply the amount of work to draw the screen after joining a world or entering a portal. Not sure about EE since I can't check it easily, but in EBE open worlds do not have blocks with customizable text or numbers, I suspect to reduce load time and resources.

It's easier to make a block that works well in 10 hues, than 16 million hues. Extreme cases (high or low brightness or saturation) may likely look fairly bad, and certain parts of the colour spectrum will appear to be lit differently because of the human eyes' sensitivity towards certain colours.

Some world owners prefer to work with more limited tools. I make simple levels, and I find it easier to work with a more limited block selection. At a glance, nearly every block in EE can be told apart by an experienced player, and this would be ruined with hex blocks. It's much harder to faithfully recreate a colouring technique by memory, a throwback to old EE, a screenshot or a video, and it's harder to communicate with other players what colours they like in a world.

EE's limited selection makes minimap art more unique to EE. Generic RGB values can be used in any image.

Problems with hex blocks in certain packages:

The Halloween 2011 includes a bloody version of the grey Basic block. It won't match with the hex variant, especially the block highlight in EBE, unless you go the extra step of adding a blood layer on top of a hex-coloured Basic sprite.

EE has a problem with foreground and background blocks blending in too much, and hex blocks only make this problem worse. Just compare red Brick FG to blue Brick BG, or grey Brick FG to white Brick BG. Those problems should be cleared up before they are converted to hex blocks.

Checker backgrounds were butchered in EBE. In EE, Checker backgrounds match perfectly with Dark and Solid. In EBE, it is impossible to match both of the original colours in EE, causing some converted levels to look objectively worse. It also becomes harder to match them up with other Plain backgrounds, as you need to screenshot the game and use an eyedropper tool to confirm what colours actually match the Checker.

I think vision zones are really neat though.

#36 2024-05-02 10:46:33, last edited by MartenM (2024-05-02 10:49:17)

MartenM
Website

N1KF wrote:

EE's limited selection makes minimap art more unique to EE. Generic RGB values can be used in any image.

Minimap art is all nice and all, but I doubt it's the core mechanic that the game should evolve around.

N1KF wrote:

It would likely be heavier on the game on performance, bandwidth, and world download size. If there are hundreds or thousands of unique colored blocks on-screen, that could easily multiply the amount of work to draw the screen after joining a world or entering a portal. Not sure about EE since I can't check it easily, but in EBE open worlds do not have blocks with customizable text or numbers, I suspect to reduce load time and resources.

We have full open world 3D games with a bazillion objects. Heck even Geometry dash has objects that can be different colours and I would consider it a pretty lightweight game. I don't think resources should be an issue here.

N1KF wrote:

Some world owners prefer to work with more limited tools. I make simple levels, and I find it easier to work with a more limited block selection. At a glance, nearly every block in EE can be told apart by an experienced player, and this would be ruined with hex blocks. It's much harder to faithfully recreate a colouring technique by memory, a throwback to old EE, a screenshot or a video, and it's harder to communicate with other players what colours they like in a world.

Nobody is forcing the use of new things. One can just simply use the default blocks that were always available. I don't think every block will or should be become a hex block (or be forced to). But I do think most of the blocks it could be neat for.The comment about bg/fg blocks is valid. However, world builders are aware of this as well. I am pretty sure, that given the right tools, they should be able to make a good distinction between the two in their levels.

Personally, I rather see this game evolve past the nostalgia of EE. Give us something new and exciting instead of the same old formula 15+ years long. As an example, geometry dash could have stayed the same since it's release, but it evolved past its limitations due to new blocks, colours, etc. It's now a much better and unique game due to it.

lm3hgg8.jpg

#37 2024-05-03 05:46:15

Onjit
Website

i would rather see the game start from a relatively basic starting point and then move in a completely different direction

let the devs have fun with it and make something their own, rather than trying to recreate ee or just include literally everything they can think of

i like vision zones, but some of the **** stuff from other modded versions kind of just suck lol - hex blocks included imo

:.|:;

Wooted by: (3)

#38 2024-05-03 11:39:58, last edited by Kira (2024-05-03 11:43:55)

Kira

Onjit wrote:

i would rather see the game start from a relatively basic starting point and then move in a completely different direction

let the devs have fun with it and make something their own, rather than trying to recreate ee or just include literally everything they can think of

i like vision zones, but some of the **** stuff from other modded versions kind of just suck lol - hex blocks included imo

I have a different perspective. While it is true that some of the content in the modded version is clunky, there are certain additions that significantly enhance the gameplay, for instance the addition of specific HEX elements, the ability to customize the percentage of different effects (such as levitation, jump, and speed), triangle backgrounds, and vision blockers/zones all contribute to an improved experience. Mastering the use of these elements not only enhances the player's enjoyment but also benefits the builder. The less-limited building options actually make it more enjoyable to construct, and both the in-game art and gameplay are greatly enhanced as a result.

I'll make a more detailed post later when I have time to showcase the possibilities of those additions.

#39 2024-05-03 11:48:18

Gosha

Kira wrote:

the ability to customize the percentage of different effects (such as levitation, jump, and speed)

I would love to see this as well. Several years ago i thought "naaah physics should be consistent", but now i think it's totally fine, especially since the game is in it's birth.
BUT i would still like to see some consistency like speed increase by 25% 50% 75% 100% etc. It would be real chaos to be able to increase player's speed by just 1%

#40 2024-05-03 15:18:00

John

Version 0.7.0-alpha Changelog

Additions

• Added search bar to the lobby world list.

• Added refresh button to the lobby world list.

• Added a game settings page to the lobby.

• Added the /mute command.

• Added the /? alias for the /help command.

• Added the /teleport command.

Changes

• Edit command: changed "edit rights" to "editing rights" because it sounds more correct.

• Edit & God commands: if the specified rights are the same as existing rights, then the command should fail and not alert the user it's applied to.

• Various performance improvements.

• Server stability improvements.

Fixes

• Fix player list icon not showing for players when joining a world.

PW?scale=2

#41 2024-05-03 19:55:38

Minimania
Moderation Team

NoNK wrote:
Minimania wrote:
Kira wrote:
Gosha wrote:

if you have seen kira's work you will realize that this does not apply to him

I know I didnt make it very obvious, but I was being sarcastic in the post of mine that you quoted here. I don't agree with or like the take that having more blocks makes a builder less creative. Actually, I really hate that take.

21cZxBv.png

#42 2024-05-05 01:48:24, last edited by N1KF (2024-05-05 01:50:29)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

hey guys did you know eggs appear in front of the player. eggs are not supposed to appear in front of the player. thanks for reading.

edit:  i was wrong. eggs actually appear behind the player. eggs are supposed to appear in front of the player. thanks for reading.

#43 2024-05-06 04:08:26, last edited by Kirby (2024-05-06 09:41:41)

Kirby

plz make a setting where if you go fullscreen it doesn't change the amount of blocks you can see/makes it 200% zoom or something because the game is way too zoomed out and fullscreen used to be a good way to fix that

edit: i guess ctrl+ and disabling antialiasing works though its a little jank when you try to exit fullscreen

#44 2024-05-06 08:42:15

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Kirby wrote:

plz make a setting where if you go fullscreen it doesn't change the amount of blocks you can see/makes it 200% zoom or something because the game is way too zoomed out and fullscreen used to be a good way to fix that

This / an option for world owners to disable zooming out entirely in case they want to limit the players field of view

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#45 2024-05-06 11:41:44

MartenM
Website

BuzzerBee wrote:
Kirby wrote:

This / an option for world owners to disable zooming out entirely in case they want to limit the players field of view

I think implementing vision blocks might be a better way to go.
Seems more future proof.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Wooted by:

#46 2024-05-06 22:32:54

John

Version 0.7.1-alpha Changelog

Additions

• Added the /unkick command to allow players to forgive kicked users so they can rejoin immediately.

Changes

• Changed death counter, door and gate textures (Credit: @boba).

• Reworked the usages of the commands to properly reflect if an argument is required or not, and reworked the the descriptions.

• Updated bad words list.

Fixes

• Fixed a bug where player secrets would not be reset.

• Fixed a bug where the block selector would close when receiving edit, if the player already has edit.

• Fixed a bug where world titles would not be filtered in profiles.

• Fixed a bug where messages would end up being delayed if the server could not keep up with sending messages to a player.

PW?scale=2

#47 2024-05-11 03:57:33

John

Updated OP with some videos that I found on YouTube! Also, if you join the discord server you can subscribe to notifications when BALs are online too!

PW?scale=2

Wooted by:

#48 2024-05-18 15:06:11, last edited by John (2024-05-18 15:37:15)

John

Version 0.8.0-alpha Changelog

Additions

• Added command selectors. This currently works with most commands but some commands are excluded.

• Added jungle package.

• Added trophy block.

• Added reset point.

• Added god mode block.

• Added setting for enabling private message notification sound.

Removals

• Removed the /resetall command in favor of /resetplayer @a.

Changes

• Improved descriptions for many commands and command aliases.

Fixes

• Fixed jumping inconsistency causing some hold space functionality to not work properly.

• Fixed switches not having any inspector tool information.

• Fixed inspector information to include block rotation.

• Fixed coins not being reset when placing a new coin on top of a collected coin.

Command Selectors

Command selectors in the game allow you to target specific players based on various criteria. Similar to Minecraft selectors, they start with an '@' symbol followed by a specifier to indicate whether you want to select a single player, a random player, or all players that meet certain conditions.
Syntax
Selectors follow a specific syntax pattern:

• @s: Selects a single player.

• @r: Selects a random player.

• @a: Selects all players.

• [predicate1,predicate2,...]: Optional predicates enclosed in square brackets to filter players based on specific conditions.

Predicates
Predicates are conditions used to filter players. Each predicate consists of a property, a comparison operator, and a value.

• id (int): Player's unique identifier.

• username (string): Player's username.

• x (double): Player's x-coordinate.

• y (double): Player's y-coordinate.

• face (int): Player's face/smiley.

• coins (int): Number of coins the player has.

• blueCoins (int): Number of blue coins the player has.

• deaths (int): Number of deaths the player has.

• flying (bool): Whether the player is flying.

• canEdit (bool): Whether the player can edit.

• canGod (bool): Whether the player has god mode enabled.

• owner (bool): Whether the player is the owner.

• winner (bool): Whether the player has completed the world.

• crown (bool): Whether the player has the crown.

• checkpoint (bool): Whether the player has reached a checkpoint.

• checkpointX (int): X-coordinate of the player's checkpoint (-1 if there's no checkpoint).

• checkpointY (int): Y-coordinate of the player's checkpoint (-1 if there's no checkpoint).

• Predicates support different comparison operators depending on the data type:

• Numeric properties (int, double): Supports =, !=, <, <=, >, >=.

• Booleans (bool) and strings (string): Supports only = and != for comparison.

Examples

• @s[coins>100]: Selects a single player with more than 100 coins.

• @r[deaths>=5]: Selects a random player with 5 or more deaths.

• @a[flying=true,deaths>4]: Selects all players who are flying and have more than 4 deaths.

• @a[flying=true][deaths>4]: Selects all players who are flying or have more than 4 deaths.

PW?scale=2

#49 2024-05-19 22:09:49

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

command blocks when

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#50 2024-05-19 23:20:42

John

TaskManager wrote:

command blocks when

probably never //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

PW?scale=2

John1716157242799310

Board footer