Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-05 07:43:36, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-05 08:00:31)

Minisaurus
Banned

Is it true that EE is being sold to a game company?

I heard time ago that the staff was planning to sell EE franchise to a game company that could take care of the game and actually revive the game.

That would be the best thing that could happen to the game, but not sure if those rumors are true, do anyone know anything about this?

#2 2020-11-05 08:44:27

peace

Re: Is it true that EE is being sold to a game company?

that woudl be bad for them because that would mean we have EE and EEU just liek staff doesnt want becuase it splits comunity so less players for thier game aka EEU otherwise thye couldv ejust ported the code all over to somethign non falsh and keep EE alonside EEU themeselves

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#3 2020-11-05 08:47:28

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

I don't think any game company that could turn EE into something worth playing in 2020 would want any part of…gestures broadly at owner and community

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#4 2020-11-05 10:44:56

Gosha

remember

Xenonetix wrote:

With that in mind, I had a dream a few days ago - Someone offered me $294,990 to purchase EE - I accepted. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#5 2020-11-05 11:00:36

AllenCaspe9510
Website

b-but... we don't even what they would do to the game, and who is that game company anyway?

Gosha wrote:

remember

That was... a dream, lol

I Animate Stuff

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

#6 2020-11-05 23:24:53

some woman

AllenCaspe9510 wrote:

b-but... we don't even what they would do to the game, and who is that game company anyway?

Gosha wrote:

remember

That was... a dream, lol

Dream EE is so much better than real EE

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#7 2020-11-05 23:37:41

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I really hope the Everybody Edits franchise isn't being sold to a company...this game has been tossed around like a hot potato and if it gets the wrong owner, the franchise could die with no chance of legally being continued or revived by fans as long as the copyright remains and there isn't a permissive license.

First of all EE's assets (old and new), the EELVL format, and specialized world code (like physics, camera movement, and minimap colors) need a license that allows fans to use these for their own remakes. That way, if things go wrong, we will still be able to create our own backup versions.

Secondly, many of the benefits of having a company work on EE can be done without giving up ownership. There are many indie game publishers, developers, and investors out there. And of course ee has a community with several skilled developers (and me!) who are familiar with programming around this game. The EE Staff seem to be unable to market their own game, so I think an open-source+publisher approach might somehow be the best choice.

#8 2020-11-05 23:44:52, last edited by Cyral (2020-11-05 23:45:30)

Cyral

What company would want to buy the legal mess that has been created by passing the intellectual property through various owners, a couple companies, etc, with no clear agreements I imagine? Not to mention the liabilities with the data breaches

Player Since 2011. I used to make bots and stuff.

#9 2020-11-06 00:17:24

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

N1KF wrote:

so I think an open-source+publisher approach might somehow be the best choice.

I don't think open source is the best option, but I'd 100% take that over selling it to a company. The only value a company would see in the game right now is squeezing every last drop of money out of it. Y'all make memes about Xeno doing that with patreon etc, but a company would do this very intentionally. Even if we were to get the game to a place where it's starting to grow and then sell it to a company to finish it more professionally, that company is just gonna design the game with the sole intention of making money regardless of if what they do is genuinely better for the game. EE should always remain a passion project.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#10 2020-11-06 00:21:08, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-06 00:43:47)

Minisaurus
Banned

mutantdevle wrote:

that company is just gonna design the game with the sole intention of making money regardless of if what they do is genuinely better for the game.

What company exactly and how do you know their intentions?

EE being sold to a company only means better for the game in all aspects.

#11 2020-11-06 00:23:00

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Cyral wrote:

What company would want to buy the legal mess that has been created by passing the intellectual property through various owners, a couple companies, etc, with no clear agreements I imagine? Not to mention the liabilities with the data breaches

We need a lawyer. Oh and we need original graphics for the Grass and Metal blocks so we don't give the lawyer a heart attack.

#12 2020-11-06 00:47:00

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Minisaurus wrote:

What company exactly and how do you know their intentions?
EE being sold to a company only means better for the game in all aspects.

The whole purpose of companies is to make money. This is problematic for video games because it means that features that promote profit are more favourable than features that are genuinely good for the game. The game being developed by people within the community almost guarantees that profit is not the primary motivator and that they genuinely care about the game. If you want to watch an ad whenever you join a world or like having all the new content be focused on encouraging micro transactions rather than encouraging new gameplay, then sure, let’s sell the game to a company. But if that’s what the future of EEU holds then I don’t want it.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#13 2020-11-06 00:54:07, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-06 01:14:11)

Minisaurus
Banned

mutantdevle wrote:

The whole purpose of companies is to make money.

Are you referring to scammers that promises things that they can´t provide?

I do know tons of companies that their purpose is to develop a product that people uses and want in exchange of a revenue.
Microsoft, Google, Walmart, Amazon, Youtube, huge etc.

mutantdevle wrote:

The game being developed by people within the community almost guarantees that profit is not the primary motivator and that they genuinely care about the game

And it almost guarantees that the game won´t grow further for the simple reason a small team can´t grow huge projects as the companies can do.
It is guarantee that a company will provide high quality product efficiently, otherwise they would not get customers.

#14 2020-11-06 01:07:14

LukeM
Website

It depends massively on what company.

For example it’s currently owned by a ‘company’ owned by Xeno, and there are plenty of actual companies which believe in making the best products they can and not just the most profitable, for example many indie games companies.

I guess you’re probably thinking of a publicly traded company when you say it would be terrible, since at that point you usually have a duty to your investors to make as much money as possible.

Wooted by: (3)

#15 2020-11-06 01:12:31

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Wow this topic is going to get the posts per day stat up. This is turning into one of those "Several people are typing..." threads.

I have to wonder how profitable EE could really be in its current state. I think many players would leave if it were squeezed for money, as at least the forum users seem to be pretty purist. Builders Club, Ultimate Fan Smileys for buying merchandise, and even just having ads on the main site all got called out.

Minisaurus wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

The game being developed by people within the community almost guarantees that profit is not the primary motivator and that they genuinely care about the game

And it almost guarantees that the game won´t grow further.

Why do you think that?

With its current direction, yeah, I don't think it will grow much. But if EE is polished, ported, then we take advantage of social media, Steam, streaming, and other platforms, I think it could actually become popular again.

Wooted by: (2)

#16 2020-11-06 12:50:11, last edited by mutantdevle (2020-11-06 12:51:07)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

LukeM wrote:

I guess you’re probably thinking of a publicly traded company when you say it would be terrible

I'm thinking of "what realistic reason would a company have to buy EE?" Indie companies have no intention of branching out and buy other properties. More often than not they have their own ideas that they want to work on a deliver. The only time an indie company would do something like this is if they REALLY like the concept of the game and are willing to risk the financial investment. I just don't see any indie company ever doing that.

Minisaurus wrote:

It is guarantee that a company will provide high quality product efficiently, otherwise they would not get customers.

This is not true at all. What makes the game better and what makes the most money is not the same. Why bother designing and adding a new type of action block when just adding new cosmetic features generates more income? Why have those action blocks be free like is currently planned when having them cost energy encourages impatient people to spend more money? Why bother designing the game to retain players over several years when new players spend more than the veterans do? The game wouldn't be designed to be fun, it would be designed to encourage people to spend. To get customers, they don't need the game to actually be fun - they'd just need to make it look fun. They'd want to retain players long enough to spend money, but not long enough to be able to afford everything with energy.

N1KF wrote:

With its current direction, yeah, I don't think it will grow much. But if EE is polished, ported, then we take advantage of social media, Steam, streaming, and other platforms, I think it could actually become popular again.

It's refreshing to see someone else saying this.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#17 2020-11-06 20:43:45, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-06 21:11:12)

Minisaurus
Banned

mutantdevle wrote:

The game wouldn't be designed to be fun

Games are ALWAYS designed to be fun, if there is a game that is designed to be boring, then it is not a game at all.
L5LgOz5.png
It is safe to say that there is no virtual building game in the whole world that do anything of what you say above. At least no game company do what you say.

Free to play building games get their incomes by making cosmetics and VIP merbership but keeping all the main building-tool features free-way to obtain, always.
It is also safe to say that Free to play building games that want to still be alive would constantly be introducing new building-tools to keep the game refreshing and interesting for their customers.

#18 2020-11-06 21:11:45

icepegasus

Minisaurus wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

The game wouldn't be designed to be fun

Games are ALWAYS designed to be fun, if there is a game that is designed to be boring, then it is not a game at all.

This statement is 100% true.
Whether the people who own it intend for it to be profitable or not is no factor here.
If the goal is profit the game must be fun otherwise noone would want to spend money on it
If the goal is to have the players enjoy like EE/EEU then it must be fun or else nobody would play
In both cases if the game is not fun the goal is not met.

What mutantdevle wrote on the other hand, is also very true. No company would have any motive to buy a game if not to make profit. Whether if it's by adding ads, unlocking certain stuff for money, just some cosmetics, it doesn't matter. In business the motive for buying = making more money

user.php?id=icepegasus

#19 2020-11-06 21:15:31

Minimania
Moderation Team

Minisaurus wrote:

Games are ALWAYS designed to be fun

So you're telling me like half the triple a titles released nowadays are not even games?

Minisaurus wrote:

if there is a game that is designed to be boring

You're presenting a false dichotomy here, by assuming that if a game isn't designed to be fun, then it's designed to be boring. This is simply incorrect; there are plenty of games out there that are designed to make as much money for the company as possible. You have games like every yearly release of Fifa, which all seem like they could've just been DLC packs for an original Fifa game, games like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes which sees plenty of people pooling thousands of dollars in just to be able to play with the newest heroes at the best of their capabilities (I'm not even exaggerating with that figure, by the way, I could pull up sources if needed), the whole situation that Star Wars: Battlefront 2 EA ended up in at its launch, and there are plenty more examples. Can these games be fun if you have all of the features to play around with? Absolutely, yet in all of the examples I mentioned, the company behind the game is spending a lot more time in getting players to purchase microtransactions that they otherwise would need to sink in hundreds or thousands of hours of grinding to experience if they didn't.

Everybody Edits is a free-to-play game. Everything you can purchase with money in EE can either be bought with energy, or is cosmetic and has no real effect on gameplay itself (unless you're looking to build worlds and you're missing a block, which is reasonable.) If another company had control of Everybody Edits, these things could so very easily be taken away. Recall that the Beta and base EE clients used to be separate, and you used to need to pay for chat. If you didn't have Beta during those times, you couldn't even save your worlds, let alone interact with each other. When the free account system was implemented, things changed for the better, because now everyone had access to the EDITing features EVERYBODY in the game should've had to begin with. Things used to be that way, and they very easily could've stayed that way, and perhaps could very easily revert to that way as well under a different company with the wrong motives.

Minisaurus wrote:

Free to play building games get their incomes by making cosmetics but keeping all the main building features free-way to obtain, always.

They could just as easily go the way of the mobile game, and set a huge number of the features in the game to be monetized. Imagine half of all the block packs going up for 100 gems each. Imagine an advertisement playing each time you leave a world. Imagine most of all the energy based items you can purchase in a shop requiring half a million energy to purchase, or every purchase of a block package only giving you a limited use in building, as if every pack were like how coin doors, spawn points, and portals used to be.

The way you proport every free-to-play building game is awesome, yeah, and it's awesome that EE is this way, but don't assume that it can't be changed just because EE is a building game. There are plenty of people who have ill-intentions or couldn't care less, and could very easily ruin it for all of us.

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

Wooted by:

#20 2020-11-06 21:43:47, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-06 22:12:47)

Minisaurus
Banned

Minimania wrote:

So you're telling me like half the triple a titles released nowadays are not even games?

Nope, if those are games, and players find amusement in it, all of those are indeed games.

Minimania wrote:

by assuming that if a game isn't designed to be fun, then it's designed to be boring.

Nope again, I said that if it is designed to be boring, then it is not a game. ALL games are designed to be fun, otherwise, they are not games.

Minimania wrote:

Everything you can purchase with money in EE can either be bought with energy,

Not really.
Gems meant to be the monetization currency for EE.
Pay-to-obtain items:
You need to pay gems for diamond action tool, membership privilegies, golden club action tools and graphics, pateron graphics (The only right choice so far for EE franchise monetization but terribly managed), big spender smiley, frog npc, archieved seasonal graphics (tons of graphics there only available by spending gems).
So far it is a mess, I haven´t spend a single penny in EE in my 11 years playing it. (The only penny I spend was to buy chat years ago, it was a good choice to keep it as a free feature later on tho).
I have a considerable amount of accounts with almost all items from EE by just daily rewards and campaigns, EE monetization system is a complete and unforgettable joke.
EEU is going to try to fix this mistake by making Jewels currency pay to obtain only (stardust would be like gems in EE but less overpowered), there will be no way in-game to obtain Jewels (Probably there will be constests that will reward with jewels tho), this is a good choice as EE failed completely in monetization.

Minimania wrote:

set a huge number of the features in the game to be monetized

Actually if you think about it, you find out that EE wanted to do this too but pathetically failed on that goal, EEU is going to "set a huge number of the features in the game to be monetized" for sure, just wait for it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink
But as I said, whoever who monetize the EE franchise would NEVER make the action tools to be kept behind a pay-wall, no company would do that ever. Action tools will be always free-way to obtain, now and in 100 hundred more years.

Minimania wrote:

Imagine an advertisement playing each time you leave a world.

Then get prepared to when EEU releases on mobile, you will have a ton of joy by watching advertisements in EEU-mobile, I am completely sure about that EEU-mobile gonna get adds, its obvious.

Minimania wrote:

There are plenty of people who have ill-intentions or couldn't care less

I am 100% sure that Xenonetix would NOT AND NEVER sell the game to a random guy who offers a considerable price for it. Xenonetix has a high morale and would only sell it to a trustworthy successor.
So don´t worry about this, as it is 100% sure that anyone who obtain the game ownership will be someone who cares for the EE franchise future.

#21 2020-11-06 21:56:20, last edited by LukeM (2020-11-06 21:58:11)

LukeM
Website

Minimania wrote:

You're presenting a false dichotomy here, by assuming that if a game isn't designed to be fun, then it's designed to be boring. This is simply incorrect; there are plenty of games out there that are designed to make as much money for the company as possible. You have games like every yearly release of Fifa, which all seem like they could've just been DLC packs for an original Fifa game, games like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes which sees plenty of people pooling thousands of dollars in just to be able to play with the newest heroes at the best of their capabilities (I'm not even exaggerating with that figure, by the way, I could pull up sources if needed), the whole situation that Star Wars: Battlefront 2 EA ended up in at its launch, and there are plenty more examples. Can these games be fun if you have all of the features to play around with? Absolutely, yet in all of the examples I mentioned, the company behind the game is spending a lot more time in getting players to purchase microtransactions that they otherwise would need to sink in hundreds or thousands of hours of grinding to experience if they didn't.

I think you're forgetting that a game needs players to make money, it would be a terrible idea to make a game that isn't designed to be fun. Even if you wanted the most money possible, for a game to make money it needs players, and to get players it needs to be enjoyable. You can complain about half the triple-A games prioritising money too much, but you can't say that they're not designed to be fun.

Also:

Minimania wrote:

If another company had control of Everybody Edits, these things could so very easily be taken away. Recall that the Beta and base EE clients used to be separate, and you used to need to pay for chat. If you didn't have Beta during those times, you couldn't even save your worlds, let alone interact with each other. When the free account system was implemented, things changed for the better, because now everyone had access to the EDITing features EVERYBODY in the game should've had to begin with. Things used to be that way, and they very easily could've stayed that way, and perhaps could very easily revert to that way as well under a different company with the wrong motives.

They have been reverted to this way, you currently need to get through a paywall to even play EEU lol.

More seriously, the original beta for EE was just that, a beta, it was never intended for (and would be bad for both enjoyment and profit for) the features you got to be in beta forever, it was just while they were unstable and still being developed.

#22 2020-11-06 23:14:34

Minimania
Moderation Team

Minisaurus wrote:

no company would do that ever.

If EE actually did get sold Id wager money against this

Minisaurus wrote:

I am 100% sure that Xenonetix would NOT AND NEVER sell the game to a random guy who offers a considerable price for it.

I already know Xeno wouldn't do that, that wasn't the point at all

LukeM wrote:

I think you're forgetting that a game needs players to make money, it would be a terrible idea to make a game that isn't designed to be fun.

You are once again assuming that games designed with monetization in mind first aren't also designed to be fun, something Minisaurus expressed knowledge of existing in his post prior to yours.

Minisaurus wrote:

Minimania wrote:

Nope, if those are games, and players find amusement in it, all of those are indeed games.

See? If players find amusement in them, then they're indeed games, according to Mini. That does not at all mean they weren't designed with monetization in mind first.

LukeM wrote:

Even if you wanted the most money possible, for a game to make money it needs players, and to get players it needs to be enjoyable. You can complain about half the triple-A games prioritising money too much, but you can't say that they're not designed to be fun.

I never said they weren't.

LukeM wrote:

They have been reverted to this way, you currently need to get through a paywall to even play EEU lol.

EEU is a closed beta, of course you need to get through a paywall to play it. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

LukeM wrote:

More seriously, the original beta for EE was just that, a beta, it was never intended for (and would be bad for both enjoyment and profit for) the features you got to be in beta forever, it was just while they were unstable and still being developed.

That's right, it was a beta. It could've very easily been a membership, and all of those features could've been paid exclusives. Easily. Beta made a lot of money for the features it promised back then; it probably could've done the same thing under the guise of a premium membership. There are plenty of people who bought Builder's Club, for example (though the features given by BC werent the same)

21cZxBv.png

Wooted by:

#23 2020-11-06 23:27:53, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-06 23:39:48)

Minisaurus
Banned

Minimania wrote:
Minisaurus wrote:

no company would do that ever.

If EE actually did get sold Id wager money against this

If the game is sold, then I would wager money in favor of my statement, as I am confident that no game company would do that to the EE franchise.

If the game is NOT sold, then I would not wager any money. I would definetively lose lol.

#24 2020-11-06 23:39:35, last edited by Minimania (2020-11-06 23:41:22)

Minimania
Moderation Team

Minisaurus wrote:

If the game is sold, then I would wager money in favor of my statement, as I am confident that no game company would do that to the EE franchise.

EE is gonna die in a month, so whatever. My points are more relevant when we're talking about EEU. The game is still in its infant stages, and there haven't been any monetization systems put in place yet, besides Xeno converting gems and stuff over from EE

21cZxBv.png

#25 2020-11-06 23:42:05, last edited by Minisaurus (2020-11-06 23:43:25)

Minisaurus
Banned

Minimania wrote:

EEU

Me too, I mostly refer to EEU than EE. The EE page has been turned time ago.
But it is a franchise so I count all games and the content related to EE as a franchise.

chzandham1605853089785975

Board footer