Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-17 19:17:57

Nou

[Update] 17 February - New campaign, items from beta, items to classic

Quick update:

We've released a new campaign with the Hard difficulty: Looks Can Deceive. The title already suggests the theme //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink As usual, it will be in beta for a week.  We have now run out of staff-made campaigns and we will start using the community-suggested campaigns from this section. As mentioned with the previous update, we'll start releasing campaigns more frequently.

We've also removed Double Jump, Ice, and the Clown smiley from beta, which means they are now available to purchase for everyone!

Furthermore, we have fixed a lot of shop descriptions to make them more consistent and to remove typos.

Lastly, we have moved the following items to Classic:

• Earmuffs smiley
• Hooded smiley
• Winter Hat smiley
• Sunburned smiley
• Summergirl smiley
• Elf smiley
• New Year 2015 decorations

No u.

#2 2016-02-17 19:22:18

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: [Update] 17 February - New campaign, items from beta, items to classic

thank you average god of nou

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#3 2016-02-17 19:40:19

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

tfw i have to update the wiki
again

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2016-02-17 19:51:33, last edited by Napakeun (2016-02-17 20:14:57)

Napakeun
Formerly goodsmile

I'm surprised this isn't in campaign: Looks Can Deceive (by EDJ)

Wooted by:

#5 2016-02-17 20:39:17, last edited by zioxei (2016-02-17 20:47:42)

zioxei

Napakeun wrote:

I'm surprised this isn't in campaign: Looks Can Deceive (by EDJ)

Sarcasm? There are only minis, cmon, they wouldn't add simple minis to a campaign.

EDIT: UGH, I saw the campaign, nvm ;_;

user.php?id=zioxei
user.php?id=thanksmom
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#6 2016-02-17 22:27:26

Prodigy

DAMN! I keep missing out on all these update (Which do make the game a bit more laggier)

Good Game Admin Nou

h0qIF0q.png

#7 2016-02-18 07:17:28

CommanderKitten

This is the best campaign yet. Good job to you and whoever helped choose the levels.

#8 2016-02-19 01:23:40, last edited by Abelysk (2016-02-19 01:24:59)

Abelysk

Ok. First off, the Campaigns are harder than "hard". I think they should be "very hard". Especially the level "Two". But they don't quite fit the "Extreme" category. Perhaps you could make a difficulty called "Intense" or "Very Hard"?
The levels start off hard but Rotcil and Two are very hard imo.

#9 2016-02-19 01:54:43

Kira

Kefka wrote:

Ok. First off, the Campaigns are harder than "hard". I think they should be "very hard". Especially the level "Two". But they don't quite fit the "Extreme" category. Perhaps you could make a difficulty called "Intense" or "Very Hard"?

The issue with illusions aren't the challenges itself, but the knowledge of physics. Quite honestly this campaign would be Medium for me since I've already won all of those worlds and thus, I was able to speedrun most of those (Except for Two).
I'm sure that with some help, this campaign is just a walk in the park.

#10 2016-02-19 04:40:56

Xfrogman43

Kira wrote:
Kefka wrote:

The issue with illusions aren't the challenges itself, but the knowledge of physics. Quite honestly this campaign would be Medium for me since I've already won all of those worlds and thus, I was able to speedrun most of those (Except for Two).

Obviously if you've played these worlds before it's going to be easier. You need to be thinking of a new player's perspective. For me, not playing these levels, it was kind of hard, but knowing how some things work I can still beat it easily.
New players will find it very difficult to do even the first world

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#11 2016-02-19 16:37:33

OINX

Hidden text

got stuck in 2nd tier
the relog put me over a closed green door, so it made it even worse. I would need someone to activate both doors now

(  ° ,(oo)° ) oink oink

Wooted by:

#12 2016-02-19 17:28:46

nlmdejonge

OINX wrote:

got stuck in 2nd tier

I checked the level, but I see you're no longer in-game.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

#13 2016-02-19 23:05:24

skullz17

Xfrogman43 wrote:
Kira wrote:
Kefka wrote:

Obviously if you've played these worlds before it's going to be easier. You need to be thinking of a new player's perspective. For me, not playing these levels, it was kind of hard, but knowing how some things work I can still beat it easily.
New players will find it very difficult to do even the first world

New players will find it very difficult to do the first tier of any Hard campaign, I'd imagine.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#14 2016-02-20 00:13:51

Luka504

I decided to try out some of he campaign levels myself (even though im non-beta)
It doesn't seem TOO bad (though i didnt have the morale to try to make it far)

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#15 2016-02-25 14:52:04, last edited by Zoey2070 (2016-02-25 21:38:04)

nlmdejonge

CommanderKitten wrote:

This is the best campaign yet. Good job to you and whoever helped choose the levels.

I disagree.
The first level is already terrible, I didn't even feel like finishing it.
They found a way to combine arrow BS with mazes, it's almost impressive how bad it is.
So disappointing too, because "Looks Can Deceive" sounded so promising.
But no, nothing clever, just a struggle through arrow poop.
Sheesh, I hope the next campaign will be about minigames and stairs, I would be so happy.

#16 2016-02-25 19:05:40

Falk

The truth has been spoken. Every new concept in a game goes around the same, in this case promising names get used on worlds that are not worth it.

And no offense, I do respect the old levels, but are all EX worlds automatically great because they are built by EX? Well, no.
The first level is bad.

Maybe when all EX worlds will be in campaigns there will be other worlds used.

Worlds like this should have been there to play, well, it's not done, but that kind of puzzles.
Not 'here, this is chaos, good luck'.

#17 2016-02-25 19:16:19

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I think you should consider that making a level out of a trolled world is a creative concept, and I believe the staff are trying to put variety into their campaigns. While I am playing it right now and do agree it kind of is a pain to get through, it fits the campaign well and is a concept I have not seen much of.

Wooted by:

#18 2016-02-26 05:54:56

CommanderKitten

nlmdejonge wrote:
CommanderKitten wrote:

I disagree.
They found a way to combine arrow BS with mazes, it's almost impressive how bad it is.
Sheesh, I hope the next campaign will be about minigames and stairs, I would be so happy.

I said "Best Campaign yet" not "omg this campaign is perfect". It obviously isn't (far from it, imo), but at least it's a step in the right direction without all the levels being 5 year old broken maps with terrible gameplay

#19 2016-02-26 11:25:20, last edited by Kira (2016-02-26 12:32:05)

Kira

nlmdejonge wrote:
CommanderKitten wrote:

I disagree.

"Arrow poop, Arrow poop", I feel like seeing this word everyday but right now, the only thing you do is whining without giving an actual solution to the matter.
As much as I would like to agree with you Nlmdejonge, I don't share the same opinion.
ExCrew Trolled Minigames is known to be an unique concept, whether on art side or minigames side, it fits perfectly the theme and quite honestly, It's not that bad, is it? There's a lot of innovative concepts in that map such as the last puzzle minigame, searching the exit of a large maze..
Don't get me wrong, I never said this map was perfect, and obviously It's not going to be perfect since It's almost a 5 years old map, people are starting to get influenced by the new generation type of minigames (Smooth minigame or w/e you call it). There's a lot of worlds that could have fit this campaign perfectly considering there's a lot of variety in it ('Trolled Minigames', Thinking outside the box minigames', Choosing between 2 minigames and only 1 is correct, a whole map of illusions...).

Campaign levels are here to satisfy everyone and not only you.

Wooted by:

#20 2016-02-27 00:14:43

nlmdejonge

Kira wrote:

Campaign levels are here to satisfy everyone and not only you.

I don't think campaign levels should (need to) satisfy everyone. Campaigns can have themes related to gameplay and each campaign will attract its own players and have its own fans. Variation is thus a good thing. Some players like the Fractured Fingers campaign, other players don't. To each their own. The idea of adding a campaign with levels that contain illusions is great. Where it goes wrong, in my opinion, is: a) when campaign themes are based on minimap or in-game art, and b) when levels seem out of place, either their tiers or the campaigns they are in.

As for a)
"Tutorials" and "Puzzle Pack 1" are good campaign names. You get what is being advertised.
"Fractured Fingers" is a bit more vague, but once you start playing it you quickly get what they mean.
"Colorful" is problematic. "Wintery Wonders" and "Ancient Ruins" are similarly problematic names.
"Minigames", "Stairs", "Precision Jumping", "Endless Coin Hunt", these are good campaign names.
If campaign names are based on minimap or in-game art, what happens is this: the handful of players - the staff - who have the power to pick campaign levels will pick levels they personally think are good, that they enjoy playing. This is when I started complaining about all the "arrow path" minis in campaigns.

As for b)
"Looks Can Deceive" is a good campaign name. As a player I expect levels with illusions, clever minis, I'll have to think about how to proceed, it looks like I need to do one thing but I really need to do something else. Things like that. Now, that first level in this campaign. If you look at its minimap, that's a bad omen. The reason is that it looks like a trolled level, but... looks can deceive. So, you see, the question is now, was this just picked because of the minimap and in-game art, or does the level itself also contain clever illusions and interesting gameplay. And remember, this is the very first level of the campaign. All other levels are locked (within the campaign) until you as a player finish this level. The level is a struggle, especially from about the halfway mark. I saw players quit left and right even before I reached that point. By the way, this has nothing to do with the 'hard' difficulty. It's just a struggle, it's not fun to play, there's barely anything clever in it, even when you know what to do you have to do sections over and over just to pass arrows that try to push you away from your goal. And it never ends. The very first level of the campaign.

One of my favorite kind of levels, where looks can deceive. The campaign disappoints me. I'm not one of the best EE players, but I'm fairly skilled. All those poor players who are less skilled than I am, they see a new campaign and the first level... it's like someone just slams an iron bar in their faces. While they are playing someone is sitting next to them, holding up a middle finger. Your tier 1 suggestion made more sense. (It has a bad section where you have to go below two vertical bars, but that's fixable.)

One of the reasons this all happens is because there is basically no dialog between the staff and the players when it comes to campaigns. I get that they want to surprise us with a new campaign, but it would've been a lot more pleasant if they would have talked with us about their plans. It would not have been difficult for them to ask us suggestions for an illusions campaign. We could've shared levels, given feedback on levels listed, talked about which tiers the levels could be in, and so on. Then we might have had a proper campaign in the end.

Kira wrote:

[...], the only thing you do is whining without giving an actual solution to the matter.

This is not true at all. I've given suggestions to improve lots of things, over and over, on all kinds of boards here. Really, many, many suggestions, going in all kinds of different directions. From changing the entire Campaign Suggestions board (link) to specific campaign ideas (link) to assembling a campaign team (link) to endless/year campaign(s) (link) to urging the staff to make different choices (link), and so on.

Often it doesn't matter if I have solutions or not. Do you remember that, five years ago, I had a website where players could submit, tag, search for and vote on EE levels (link)? You don't. Nobody does. See, just having something (an idea, or otherwise) is not enough.

To end with a positive note, Nou wrote: "[W]e will start using the community-suggested campaigns [and] we'll start releasing campaigns more frequently." Yay, this is good news.

By the way, EE is still one of the best games ever. I'm really curious to see how it'll do on Steam. One day.

#21 2016-02-27 01:58:35

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

nlmdejonge wrote:

I don't think campaign levels should (need to) satisfy everyone. Campaigns can have themes related to gameplay and each campaign will attract its own players and have its own fans. Variation is thus a good thing. Some players like the Fractured Fingers campaign, other players don't. To each their own. The idea of adding a campaign with levels that contain illusions is great. Where it goes wrong, in my opinion, is: a) when campaign themes are based on minimap or in-game art, and b) when levels seem out of place, either their tiers or the campaigns they are in.

preach. i haven't really thought too hard about LCD nor really played much but afaik there's not any huge illusions? what comes to mind when i hear "looks can deceive" i imagine that confusing feeling that comes from backgrounds that look like blocks and vice-versa

"Wintery Wonders" [is a] similarly problematic names.

sry bb ;-;

altho can you please clarify on what makes a good name vs a bad one?

One of the reasons this all happens is because there is basically no dialog between the staff and the players when it comes to campaigns. I get that they want to surprise us with a new campaign, but it would've been a lot more pleasant if they would have talked with us about their plans. It would not have been difficult for them to ask us suggestions for an illusions campaign. We could've shared levels, given feedback on levels listed, talked about which tiers the levels could be in, and so on. Then we might have had a proper campaign in the end.

To end with a positive note, Nou wrote: "[W]e will start using the community-suggested campaigns [and] we'll start releasing campaigns more frequently." Yay, this is good news.

for as much as you complain (give legitimate critique) about campaigns, i haven't seen you actually give a suggestion tho

but ye i kinda agree, several of the campaigns are actually kinda awful

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#22 2016-02-27 03:11:11

nlmdejonge

Zoey2070 wrote:

I understand that, during the winter period, it's appealing to present players with a campaign themed around the cold season. The "Wintery Wonders" campaign does this with minimaps and in-game art that features, among other things, snow. The problem with this campaign name is that you could literally put any level you can think of in the campaign, so long as it has a wintery atmosphere. A puzzle level, a stairs level, a level that will fracture your fingers, anything you want. It's a theme based on minimaps and in-game art. Since only very few players have the power to pick levels that will actually be in the campaigns, the gameplay will have the 'hidden' theme that it's being enjoyed by those few players. And, for example, Master1 and I have very different options about what is "BS", "the wrong kind of hard", "learnable", "hoping to get lucky", and so on. This is why campaign names such as "Wintery Wonders" may unintentionally increase the number of levels with similar mini-mechanics, and decrease gameplay variation. Therefore I would say "Wintery Wonders" is a problematic campaign name.

Zoey2070 wrote:

i haven't seen you actually give a suggestion tho

I've made suggestions as to which levels may be suitable to become part of certain campaigns. The reason I haven't posted a complete campaign is because I believe that's not a good way to assemble campaigns. In my opinion that's actually a bad way to come up with campaigns. I'll give two examples of what I think is a better way to go about creating campaigns.

Example 1. Double/multi jumping, for example, is a suitable candidate to have its own campaign. This suggestion could come from me. It's the first step, a gameplay-based theme. I then create a thread with my idea about a double/multi jumping campaign. This thread can be complemented by people who know about or have created such levels. If at some point there are more than a handful of levels related to the theme, we can discuss which levels really match the theme and are of good enough quality to be included in the campaign. Then we decide which tiers the levels could be in. All these steps can be taken by different people. If I don't know of any good double/multi jumping level, that doesn't matter; I already contributed by coming up with that campaign idea.

Example 2. Precision jumping is a very particular skill. Jump exactly to the edge of a spike-filled area, to prepare for another tricky jump. Some players hate this type of levels, but that's irrelevant. It is a suitable candidate to have its own campaign. Someone creates the thread, people supplement it with levels, if there are enough suggestions we look at/vote about the quality and enjoyment of the levels, make a selection, put them in order.

It's not a good idea to have one person - or just a few, like the staff - come up with an entire campaign. Also, there's no reason to work like that. Why would you work like that. This is why I named my thread on the Campaign Suggestions board "Partial Sets, Need Input". It's a collaboration, a group effort. I'm not joking when I write that there could be a Stairs campaign. That I'm not a big fan of them is irrelevant. It should also be irrelevant if the staff doesn't like them. Stairs are a very distinct type of level. This means I should be able to open a thread where I suggest a Stairs campaign, even if I have not a single level to put in it. Maybe a month from now someone will. One day, someone might run into a suitable level for the campaign when looking through the levels in the lobby. And, who knows, a year from now we may actually have enough levels to create a Stairs campaign. This is great, diversity. Just like players are a diverse group of people, who all have their own kind of levels that they like and dislike. The players who like stairs levels will be super happy to see a stairs related campaign, this is their chance to shine and they'll have a ton of fun fighting their way to the trophy.

So, I don't think the "Campaign submission guidelines" are what we need, and I also don't think one "Single Level Suggestions" thread is what we need. If by "actually give a suggestion" you mean give all the details about a full campaign, including the exact levels and their tiers: that's correct, I have not. That way of assembling a campaign doesn't make any sense to me.

#23 2016-02-27 03:53:13

Insanity

nlmdejonge wrote:
Zoey2070 wrote:

I understand that, during the winter period, it's appealing to present players with a campaign themed around the cold season. The "Wintery Wonders" campaign does this with minimaps and in-game art that features, among other things, snow. The problem with this campaign name is that you could literally put any level you can think of in the campaign, so long as it has a wintery atmosphere. A puzzle level, a stairs level, a level that will fracture your fingers, anything you want. It's a theme based on minimaps and in-game art. Since only very few players have the power to pick levels that will actually be in the campaigns, the gameplay will have the 'hidden' theme that it's being enjoyed by those few players. And, for example, Master1 and I have very different options about what is "BS", "the wrong kind of hard", "learnable", "hoping to get lucky", and so on. This is why campaign names such as "Wintery Wonders" may unintentionally increase the number of levels with similar mini-mechanics, and decrease gameplay variation. Therefore I would say "Wintery Wonders" is a problematic campaign name.

Zoey2070 wrote:

i haven't seen you actually give a suggestion tho

I've made suggestions as to which levels may be suitable to become part of certain campaigns. The reason I haven't posted a complete campaign is because I believe that's not a good way to assemble campaigns. In my opinion that's actually a bad way to come up with campaigns. I'll give two examples of what I think is a better way to go about creating campaigns.

Example 1. Double/multi jumping, for example, is a suitable candidate to have its own campaign. This suggestion could come from me. It's the first step, a gameplay-based theme. I then create a thread with my idea about a double/multi jumping campaign. This thread can be complemented by people who know about or have created such levels. If at some point there are more than a handful of levels related to the theme, we can discuss which levels really match the theme and are of good enough quality to be included in the campaign. Then we decide which tiers the levels could be in. All these steps can be taken by different people. If I don't know of any good double/multi jumping level, that doesn't matter; I already contributed by coming up with that campaign idea.

Example 2. Precision jumping is a very particular skill. Jump exactly to the edge of a spike-filled area, to prepare for another tricky jump. Some players hate this type of levels, but that's irrelevant. It is a suitable candidate to have its own campaign. Someone creates the thread, people supplement it with levels, if there are enough suggestions we look at/vote about the quality and enjoyment of the levels, make a selection, put them in order.

It's not a good idea to have one person - or just a few, like the staff - come up with an entire campaign. Also, there's no reason to work like that. Why would you work like that. This is why I named my thread on the Campaign Suggestions board "Partial Sets, Need Input". It's a collaboration, a group effort. I'm not joking when I write that there could be a Stairs campaign. That I'm not a big fan of them is irrelevant. It should also be irrelevant if the staff doesn't like them. Stairs are a very distinct type of level. This means I should be able to open a thread where I suggest a Stairs campaign, even if I have not a single level to put in it. Maybe a month from now someone will. One day, someone might run into a suitable level for the campaign when looking through the levels in the lobby. And, who knows, a year from now we may actually have enough levels to create a Stairs campaign. This is great, diversity. Just like players are a diverse group of people, who all have their own kind of levels that they like and dislike. The players who like stairs levels will be super happy to see a stairs related campaign, this is their chance to shine and they'll have a ton of fun fighting their way to the trophy.

So, I don't think the "Campaign submission guidelines" are what we need, and I also don't think one "Single Level Suggestions" thread is what we need. If by "actually give a suggestion" you mean give all the details about a full campaign, including the exact levels and their tiers: that's correct, I have not. That way of assembling a campaign doesn't make any sense to me.

dude campaigns are fine stop being a nub

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#24 2016-02-27 04:11:30

RavaTroll

EX Crew Illusion should have been the first level instead of trolled minis which - if it was innovative back then - is kind of a messy level nowadays.

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by: (6)

#25 2016-03-12 00:26:46

nlmdejonge

Decided to finish tier 1. Got all 75 coins, took me about 75 minutes (win pics).
I still dislike it, but I guess calling the level "terrible" was a bit over the top.

Falk1457788679588013

Board footer