Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Do you want more colors?

I like the limiting aspects of EE, art-wise. Contrary to popular belief, the more colors we have access to, the less creative we have to be to use them. Imagine if we had every possible color; art could become too realistic and you'd always have the perfect color. I think we shouldn't add too many more different colored bricks to EE for this reason. The only colors I think we need are lighter shades of gray (not #FFFFFF white because we could mix those bricks up with players on the minimap), a redder red (not the pink and orange we're currently stuck with), and a dark blue (lighter than the blue key).
I'm not against having more colors; I just don't think EE should have too many colors. Working with a limited choice of colors calls for creativity while working with every color calls for patience.
Maybe this is just me. What do you guys think?

#2 Before February 2015

Varrith

Re: Do you want more colors?

I agree, we could use a couple more colors, like the colors for a yellow key door and key, but too many will ruin art.

#3 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

The most annoying thing I can think of is the dark blue, for there is none.

I cannot tell you how many times I needed a dark blue...

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#4 Before February 2015

supadorf24

TakoMan02 wrote:

The most annoying thing I can think of is the dark blue, for there is none.

I cannot tell you how many times I needed a dark blue...

The darkest shade of blue we have currently (besides the blue key) is the blue gate/door, which is pretty bright. It gets really annoying at times.

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Apr 21 2011 10:58:59 pm)

#5 Before February 2015

Pike270

I think that there are a decent amount of colors but what I REALLY want bricks that have color on screen and on the minimap yet can be passed through. That way we wouldn't have to use distracting gates and worry about places where one could get trapped via keys.   Also to complement the intangible blocks, colored gravity would be nice so that skies could be seamlessly blue.

Most useful colors would be intangible cyan, cyan arrows, intangible yellow.
If i think of more I'll update this post.

Last edited by Pike270 (Apr 21 2011 10:59:14 pm)

#6 Before February 2015

Varrith

Come to think, your right, Pike, your pretty much talking about decorations that show up on minimap. Those would be so useful.

#7 Before February 2015

MIHB

Dark colors for shading.   A real red.   A bunch of other colors.

Of course, adding a sophisticated color palette would take away from the lavish attention paid to stairs.

#8 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Pike270 wrote:

I think that there are a decent amount of colors but what I REALLY want bricks that have color on screen and on the minimap yet can be passed through. That way we wouldn't have to use distracting gates and worry about places where one could get trapped via keys.   Also to complement the intangible blocks, colored gravity would be nice so that skies could be seamlessly blue.

Most useful colors would be intangible cyan, cyan arrows, intangible yellow.
If i think of more I'll update this post.

Colored gravity would he extremely helpful. I've always thought that you should be able to apply grav-arrows and coins to something else, rather than using them as a bricks. For instance, you could he able to apply a grav-arrow to a coin, and then apply the arrow-coin combo to a gate.

#9 Before February 2015

Pike270

Varrith wrote:

Come to think, your right, Pike, your pretty much talking about decorations that show up on minimap. Those would be so useful.

Well I wouldn't want decorations to appear on the minimap. It would look very ugly on the playscreen if someone spammed like 500 Xmas trees to get a certain kind of green.

My idea would be regular looking blocks just darker so that they seem like they are in the background that are intangible to the player.

Anyone mind photoshopping an EE block to use as a visual example to help express what I'm saying?

Last edited by Pike270 (Apr 21 2011 11:10:25 pm)

#10 Before February 2015

bobofawesome

I think more colours would be nice but to many will end up making people confused and forget what colours they are on the map.

#11 Before February 2015

DK Levels

Yes , I agree, we shouldn't have anymore colours, only ones I do want though are A real red, cause the one we got atm except for red brick, really looks like pink to me.
And a few really dark colours between key colours and others, not too much of them though, just dark blue, dark pink/red , dark green.

#12 Before February 2015

Nou

I also like the limitations. It separates the creative from the stairsmakers. I thought about "transparent blocks" (that show up on the minimap but you can pass through) but I don't think that would be good. This is also a limitation; it forces you to balance between art and challenges, which takes skill and therefore once again separates the creative from the stairsmakers.

No u.

#13 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Nou wrote:

I also like the limitations. It separates the creative from the stairsmakers. I thought about "transparent blocks" (that show up on the minimap but you can pass through) but I don't think that would be good. This is also a limitation; it forces you to balance between art and challenges, which takes skill and therefore once again separates the creative from the stairsmakers.

Right, I've considered background bricks as well, but then I realized that suddenly minis wouldn't be hard to implement in a landscape, and although this would make creating levels easier, it would also get rid of the fun challenge of trying to fit your minis in your landscape as is.

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Apr 22 2011 6:55:02 am)

#14 Before February 2015

rdococ

A few colors can be sorted out already with a dithering method. I use a dithering method ALL the time in my art, well not ALL the time.

#15 Before February 2015

Muftwin

yeah we really need dark blue it should be dark blue bricks

in one of my levels im using light blue bricks and it rlly just doesnt look how i want it

Last edited by Muftwin (Apr 22 2011 8:43:55 am)

#16 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

I think we need a few new colors, but not many and definitely not a color selection dialogue.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#17 Before February 2015

EE_Scythe

I could do wonders with a Redder Red... Hmm...

#18 Before February 2015

Echo!

A Real Red would be awesssome..

800px-Red_flag.svg.png

^ Oh look, Red

#19 Before February 2015

supadorf24

I don't think we need a red that bright. How about this? Even the metal yellow we have now isn't a perfect #FFFF00. The only colors that we have like that are the players on the minimap.

#20 Before February 2015

Laecinth

I can stand red, but the regular yellow is literally lime-colored. I know there is the face block which is yellow, but using alot of that doesn't look good on screen. That, and that yellow which is actually lime seems to be one of the least popular blocks in the game.

#21 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Mostly Needed:Plain white,Darkblue,Orange,RED RED! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

supadorf24142386514096292

Board footer