Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

supadorf24

EE is not new-user-friendly.

This is what I posted in the topic, "EE on Armor Games!", but I felt it was deserving of its own topic, since the other topic was mostly about Armor Games, I guess.

ultrasuperdude wrote:

It's rating is 5.9/10 [on Armor Games]     D:

Well, it's not hard to see why.

The first level most people will play is the tutorial level, which is a major turnoff right off the bat. At first glance, the game looks like a below par, disorganized platformer. Furthermore, the tutorial features very poor level design, even including a trap that forces players to quit.

If I were a new player, I would quit after playing the tutorial and rate EE poorly.

Now, if I did decide to keep playing, despite the terrible taste of the tutorial still lingering in my mouth, the next level I would play would be at the top of the lobby, which would inevitably be some noob level.

At this point, I would, without a doubt, quit, and give EE a horrible rating.

---

No offense, but it was a mistake to have Chris make the tutorial level instead of a more experienced level builder. The tutorial, if anything, has made the game worse, as I've explained previously. We need a much better tutorial if we don't want to turn players away.

Also, perhaps we could showcase a few high-quality (but easy) levels such as MG Crew Dreamscape for new players to try out. This would give new players a much better sense of what EE has to offer.

---

I honestly don't blame the Armor Games users for rating EE so poorly. We just need some quality control.

---

Discuss, my children.

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Jul 11 2011 10:09:55 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

EDJ

Re: EE is not new-user-friendly.

There should be a tutorial contest as 0716 proposed.
This is also more fitting to the game's name.

I don't have a AG account so I looked at the FB comments and those were all very positive.
And why would the majority of EE differ from the majority from AG? I mean the age would be quite similiar then why not the same preferences?
Easy mini's and such.

#3 Before February 2015

supadorf24

For a tutorial contest, Chris would need to give us signs.

My guess as to why FB users might have been more positive than AG users is because (this is just my guess) players that found EE on Facebook had already been playing the game. AG users may have never played before, and gotten the new-user treatment I was talking about in the OP, thus rating it poorly.

EDIT: Lol, I just realized this had 55 views and 1 reply. Too much reading for people, I guess. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Jul 12 2011 8:48:37 am)

#4 Before February 2015

Supadorf24 wrote:

EDIT: Lol, I just realized this had 55 views and 1 reply. Too much reading for people, I guess. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I think it's because most of 'em don't have a forum acccount.

And i 100% agree with the topic.

#5 Before February 2015

rob1nfly

Methinks the AG community is almost as bad as IGN's so not a surprize.

#6 Before February 2015

Oturan

And i 100% agree with the topic.

Same here, and we should have a tutorial contest. Since if that level was the first one I saw, I might not have continued playing the game.

#7 Before February 2015

Toby

Can't be assed to rewrite this :3

[14:57:02] Toby: a lot of people think the tutorial makes the game look dull
- snip -
[14:58:07] Toby: to be honest, I think in this day, eveyone knows/expects arrows to move and space to jump
[14:58:17] Toby: apart from that you learn about gravity arrows and coin doors
[14:58:24] Toby: the usage of which is evident just from the icons :3
- snip -
[15:03:12] Toby: I like the concept of a tutorial level but I think at the moment it's misrepresentative and boring
[15:03:21] Toby: It doesn't even tell you that all levels are made by people until you get to the end, and when you do, it's not easy to know which rooms you can and can't edit
[15:03:36] Toby: so the edit part at the end of the tutorial almost seems random when you then join a room and find it uneditable

I'll see if we're allowed to edit the tutorial level (we already CAN, I just wanna see if it's allowed ^w^) and, if so, see what we can do :3

#8 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

^ ^.^ YES! DO IT! It sucks as it is right now.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#9 Before February 2015

BillyP

Toby wrote:

Can't be assed to rewrite this :3

[14:57:02] Toby: a lot of people think the tutorial makes the game look dull
- snip -
[14:58:07] Toby: to be honest, I think in this day, eveyone knows/expects arrows to move and space to jump
[14:58:17] Toby: apart from that you learn about gravity arrows and coin doors
[14:58:24] Toby: the usage of which is evident just from the icons :3
- snip -
[15:03:12] Toby: I like the concept of a tutorial level but I think at the moment it's misrepresentative and boring
[15:03:21] Toby: It doesn't even tell you that all levels are made by people until you get to the end, and when you do, it's not easy to know which rooms you can and can't edit
[15:03:36] Toby: so the edit part at the end of the tutorial almost seems random when you then join a room and find it uneditable

I'll see if we're allowed to edit the tutorial level (we already CAN, I just wanna see if it's allowed ^w^) and, if so, see what we can do :3

That :3 sounds ^w^ good :3 to ^w^ me :3

#10 Before February 2015

EE_Scythe

I made a Tutorial World re-make if any one would like to see it, Not on my* Comp at the moment; But I'll post the link soon. It's a regular Jumping Platformer, Nothing Fancy, based off of the Original TutorialWorld I saw on Chris's Pro. That one didn't look too bad. I also Included some other Nub-Practice such as the Key Door, Secret Blocks, and Dot Trails that I didn't see in Chris's Tutorial.

Last edited by EE_Scythe (Jul 12 2011 12:21:22 pm)

#11 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Here was my idea for a tutorial: http://beta.everybodyedits.com/games/BWvtGvo6ZYa0I (Beta-only)

Of course, this world is without signs, and would make a lot more sense if I could add text. It starts out with a basic introduction to all the blocks and their properties, then a basic (and painfully easy) platforming level, then the crown and an option to restart.

Ditch the "edit areas". It gives players the wrong idea since they exist nowhere but in the current tutorial.

#12 Before February 2015

EE_Scythe

#13 Before February 2015

correiajoao

I agree with you Supadorf24.
If Chris like to have more players, play the game I think is a good ideia he change his tutorial map!

supadorf24142387396487468

Board footer