Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-16 15:53:34

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

What do you want from an EE-style game?

It seems like a lot of people are still sticking around the forums and discord servers, seemingly waiting for EE! or currently playing EEO, or just to browse and see what's up.

I'm curious about the people waiting for EE! or anyone who's interested in a new EE-like game. What would you want it to look like?

Do you want:

• An exact or near-exact replica of Old Everybody Edits

• A "new" Everybody Edits, coded from the ground up with better performance and graphics

• A spiritual successor; a similar multiplayer platformer, but not necessarily the same as EE

• Something else entirely

At this point, would anything satisfy you? Why not stick with Minecraft, Super Mario Maker, etc?

If you were to create the game, what would it look like?

ok bye

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#2 2023-02-16 15:55:53

Re: What do you want from an EE-style game?

I'll be honest, I just wanna do minimap art. Can barely do a hookjump

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2023-02-16 16:15:49

dcomet

A huge part of the original Everybody Edits was its feeling of community, that people can join a world and collaborate together on an overall picture. Minis, free-edit worlds, boss worlds; whether you were playing them or making them it was inclusive in that sense. To compound with this, the best periods of EE also had a very strong player-developer relationship. Not many games can replicate this effectively, which I suppose is why I'm still here.

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#4 2023-02-16 18:22:32

NoNK

eeook8 but multiplayer and the bug where curved blocks crash the game removed

Wooted by:

#5 2023-02-16 18:38:17

Oliwer22

At some points i just want to see an official EE game with a new engine...

#6 2023-02-16 20:09:11

Joeyjoey65

worst 2

#7 2023-02-16 20:17:16

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

My childhood back.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#8 2023-02-16 20:27:44

Snowester

EEO but online

#9 2023-02-16 20:45:43, last edited by Core (2023-02-16 20:48:19)

Core

EE but not coded in a **** language, bonus points for anti-exploit and staff who don't pick favourites. I want the 1k+ active community back, the old days where people enjoyed the game for the people and active communication, not the new days where development servers get locked up and the forums are riddled with bait.

kekW inb4 jaded doomer mentality or whatever, don't care, play my fresh balls eelvl

edit: add guns https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL

Professional EE dumbarse, formerly known as Theorywork. Know me? Say hi!

Oubliette 2023 2024!

#10 2023-02-17 00:17:01

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

EE without any usernames or chat with more than 1k players was glorious.

#11 2023-02-17 03:49:39, last edited by Andymakeer (2023-02-17 03:53:01)

Andymakeer

Out of the many sandbox games there is out there, EE is one of the few that rewards player experience, effort, time investment and persistence into elements that improves creativity and are not purely numerical.

Think about Minecraft and Mario Maker, everything comes unlocked right on or are extremely easy to unlock.
The same occurs on other map-making games like Terraria and GTA V.

On EE otherwise, most stuff (including legacy content) was rewardable by the player effort, such as energy, magic, campaigns and contests.
Being and old player or a player that passes a lot of in game time actually rewards you for that, allowing you to add more mechanics or better visuals to your maps.

Wasnt it good to feel like you are one of 1% of playerbase that had the opal magic block?
Or the 5% of players that had the postman smile?
Or you could build an incredible map because you bought 500 placeable portals while most players had about 10?
Or how that little grass detail of the 2011 spring pack made your map visuals feel much better?

For me, thats why i kept logging to EE until its last day, to spend energy believing that the most content I had, the better maps I could make.
Other sandbox games pretty much kill that sensation right on the start.

F

#12 2023-02-17 08:54:33

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

You actually LIKED the limited portals thing? o_O

Wooted by: (2)

#13 2023-02-17 14:51:13

Gosha

Andymakeer wrote:

Out of the many sandbox games there is out there, EE is one of the few that rewards player experience, effort, time investment and persistence into elements that improves creativity and are not purely numerical.

Think about Minecraft and Mario Maker, everything comes unlocked right on or are extremely easy to unlock.
The same occurs on other map-making games like Terraria and GTA V.

On EE otherwise, most stuff (including legacy content) was rewardable by the player effort, such as energy, magic, campaigns and contests.
Being and old player or a player that passes a lot of in game time actually rewards you for that, allowing you to add more mechanics or better visuals to your maps.

Wasnt it good to feel like you are one of 1% of playerbase that had the opal magic block?
Or the 5% of players that had the postman smile?
Or you could build an incredible map because you bought 500 placeable portals while most players had about 10?
Or how that little grass detail of the 2011 spring pack made your map visuals feel much better?

For me, thats why i kept logging to EE until its last day, to spend energy believing that the most content I had, the better maps I could make.
Other sandbox games pretty much kill that sensation right on the start.

i think you are somehow describing addiction to power and status

#14 2023-02-17 15:39:08, last edited by MartenM (2023-02-17 15:39:32)

MartenM
Website

Andymakeer wrote:

Limiting the creativity of that player while he/she might have much better ideas.
There should be things to unlock, but I don't think it should limit a player's creativity.

I hope EE! makes it either easy to unlock blocks (heck, it makes sure people are not overwhelmed maybe?) but not in a way where you need to spend years actively playing.
Reward people for playing (with cosmetics or something else), but don't punish them for not playing as much as you.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#15 2023-02-17 16:57:21

NoNK

Nah magic blocks were AIDS 100%

#16 2023-02-17 23:41:26

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

the old magic coins system was awesome

i always felt such a rush when i got a magic coin

and when it announced in the chat and everyone got to celebrate with you

it’d be cool to have that in the new game, purely for cosmetics or something

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#17 2023-02-18 03:08:07, last edited by Null (2023-02-18 03:12:05)

Null
Website

There's this one level in the Winter? campaign which is so easy but makes such great use of the physics and mechanics, and I would show it to people anytime I wanted to show why I loved the game so much back then. The new EE universe thing was alright but of course starting from the ground up with a new physics system (and a relatively dead community) was kinda disheartening
(edit: it was Slipslide Ride in the Tunnel Rats campaign!)

The only thing that fills the old EE niche for me, seeing all the creative games and mechanics people invent, is Super Mario Maker, and i don't even like it. not that i game much, so i wouldn't know what else fits

The great thing about EE was the natural explosion into popularity it had, emerging on Reddit and 4chan etc. Created such an vibrant, even fairly long lasting community. Even by the death of flash I'd love to go on and see what amazing (or charmingly amateur) creatives were doing. Marketing is a hellscape, if only we could contrive such a revival :<

[only logs in here when drunk]
EE Pics
______

Wooted by:

#18 2023-02-18 22:20:25

Supah (Snow)

Personally, I just like goofing off with other people. Some of my favorite levels to play were the ones where the the code or editing permissions were given as soon as you joined. Specifically, I loved the ‘hotel’ levels where everyone made their own personalized room.

Stuff like that is what I’d like to see in any new EE-style game.

LIFE IS PAIN. I HATE

#19 2023-02-20 07:47:00

Yu

I liked how it blended social aspects with creativity

#20 2023-02-20 13:40:28, last edited by Aoitenshi (2023-02-20 13:45:17)

Aoitenshi

As was with the Flipnote community, EE was a community of creators, not just players. This is the game where creators share each other what they got to each other, and play each other's creations and enjoy each other's efforts. Although there were popularity contests and internal fights with other cliques of the community, this community as a whole felt like a big assortment of multi-way interactions. It wasn't limited to one-way interaction like youtube content creator to watchers, or two-way interactions like players to dev. EE was a community of multi-way interactions where anyone can be the creators and anyone can be the players.

It's that type of community that hasn't been replicated yet with other sandbox games like Minecraft or Terraria.

#21 2023-07-28 13:41:25, last edited by 272 (2023-07-30 10:47:28)

Yo what's up it's me again. I was doing my check in on the game ofc as usual and saw this thread and felt like replying... Because honestly, I've been thinking about this question for quite some time.

I think personally, what I would really want out of an "EE Style Game" is probably a lot farther away from EE what most people here are considering. To me, the actual "fun bits" of EE basically consisted of these core parts:
1. The ability for players to easily and seamlessly create content, play other's content, and find and interact with many other players.
2. The sandbox environment which allowed many ways to play the game
3. The ability to extend the game to make new ways to play (such as the bot protocol in ee's case)

I think you could change just about anything else about the game: the platforming mechanics, the graphics, the available blocks. You could probably get away with even just a chat room with a synced ms paint on the side, and it'd have about the same effect. As long as you kept those three core features I think it would achieve what EE was able to. That being said, there are unfortunately very few games I can think of that meet all three of those criteria. Take Minecraft for example. It has the sandbox environment, and it has the ability to extend the game through mods. However, while it does have the capability of making worlds and interacting with other players on them, it unfortunately isn't anywhere near as easy, accessible, or seamless as EverybodyEdits ever was.

Obviously though, that's not exactly a good comparison, so I'll add a couple more requirements to my "EE-style" game:
4. The game should be a side-scrolling platformer, and ideally would be in a pixel art style.
5. The game should offer some kind of new capabilities not possible in old EE

I think to have an EE-Style of game work, you can't just have a re-released EE with new graphics and extra blocks. We need a new game with new ideas that shares the same fundamental values of EE.
So I guess that's what I would really want in not just an "EE-Styled Game", but an "EE spiritual successor."

Despite what people say, Different55 is the best mod.

#22 2023-08-02 06:38:46

NoNK

272 one time like 10 years ago you gave me your password and then tried to get me banned for hacking your account

Wooted by: (4)

#23 2023-08-02 09:34:25

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Least vindictive EE user.

#24 2023-08-03 20:50:30

NoNK

im not vindictive im just saying it happened, modern ee is like a retirement home where we were soldiers on the opposite side of the war but now we dont care anymore and hang out all day //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#25 2023-08-04 19:47:09, last edited by 272 (2023-08-04 20:02:29)

NoNK wrote:

272 one time like 10 years ago you gave me your password and then tried to get me banned for hacking your account

lol yeah. Those were good years.

Also I'm not sure exactly but I was probably around 11-14 years old or something around that time period. Just wanted to say that I apologizing for my poor behavior as a strange child growing up on everybody edits. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Despite what people say, Different55 is the best mod.

NoNK1691468666797896

Board footer