Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-01-16 15:08:09

Gosha

Re: yo check this out

i just know a simple fact: When there are few block packs, i am easily able to to make worlds. When there are so many as in ee, i get overwhelmed and don't do building at all

Wooted by: (2)

#27 2021-01-16 16:56:28, last edited by 2b55b5g (2021-01-16 16:57:15)

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

sounds like a you problem gosha.

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#28 2021-01-16 23:40:51

Napakeun
Formerly goodsmile

I wish EE kept to its few original blocks to keep it simple and for the reason Gosha mentioned.

And then maybe introduce a new pack that would be available for 1,2 or 3 months and then removed from your account. But in meantime u can go crazy making worlds with that pack.

This never ending cycle of keep adding more and more and more blocks was harming for EE, like a lot.

rip ee 2011 :,)

Wooted by:

#29 2021-01-20 16:05:44

NoNK

I disagree, I think having more blocks was fun. It might have been bad for the average user, but for experts like Lictor or myself, we were able to make very beautiful worlds using these new packs in creative ways. There is no end to the number of crazy monsters lictor can make out of all the silly blocks and spikes in the game.

That being said, invisible portals and invisible blocks are the most harmful thing to the game.

Wooted by: (3)

#30 2021-01-20 17:02:20

Gosha

I am fine with many blocks. The only condition: they must be unique in their own way.
Adding more and more colors to existing packages is a slippery slope, here is an example from Project M
unknown.png

Personally I wouldn't like having so many color variations of a single block

Wooted by:

#31 2021-01-20 17:12:04

MartenM
Website

Gosha wrote:

I am fine with many blocks. The only condition: they must be unique in their own way.
Adding more and more colors to existing packages is a slippery slope, here is an example from Project M
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment … nknown.png

Personally I wouldn't like having so many color variations of a single block

Color picker where are youuu

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#32 2021-01-20 22:41:58

Kentiya
Website

EEU began with the fact that we needed to make EE in HTML5 (for obvious reasons) and that in doing so it would be a great opportunity to refresh the game by fixing all the problems it had that couldn't be fixed without breaking worlds. That meant improving the physics, and recreating the pallete of blocks to remove redundancy and have fewer but more versatile blocks.

And if we were doing a refresh/reboot of the game, it would also be an opportunity to update the graphics. In EE the tiles are 16 pixels, and the game is 500 pixels tall, which is very small on most screens, and only keeps getting smaller with higher resolutions. Ideally the game should fit any size screen, which is what everyone is used to with modern web games. Vector graphics were the obvious choice, though they came at the cost of losing some of the charm the old graphics have.

Keep in mind that EEU is still very much in a work-in-progress state. The physics work but haven't been adjusted to be good, only a few blocks have been added and some of their graphics are just "good enough" and meant to be updated later, and the interface is just the minimum functionality as well as being experimental in the case of the sidebars and chat. Though complaints about the lack of features and such are understandable given that it's been two years in development. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

kentiya-cartoony-120.png
Kentiya / Atikyne — EE & EEU lead artist 2018-2020

Wooted by:

#33 2021-01-21 00:50:24

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Kentiya wrote:

And if we were doing a refresh/reboot of the game, it would also be an opportunity to update the graphics. In EE the tiles are 16 pixels, and the game is 500 pixels tall, which is very small on most screens, and only keeps getting smaller with higher resolutions. Ideally the game should fit any size screen, which is what everyone is used to with modern web games. Vector graphics were the obvious choice, though they came at the cost of losing some of the charm the old graphics have.

If pixel graphics are too small, why not scale up the pixels? EE's fullscreen may have looked ugly, but that's because of the aliasing being used at weird resolutions, causing weird stretching. The inconsistency and lack of crisp detail in EE's pixel art didn't help either. I've considered remaking EE graphics for consistency, with support for dynamic lighting, though like many of my projects it hasn't gone far yet. Dynamic lighting could also benefit higher resolutions which seems to be a goal here.

Though complaints about the lack of features and such are understandable given that it's been two years in development. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

And Everybody Edits was much further ahead in success in two years of development, despite the lack of foresight Chris Benjaminsen had to work off. I'm not saying we can't catch up to EE, but I think the approach being taken has been failing as we're really lagging behind. At this point, the only real hope I have for EEU's development is that new ownership will result in better motivation to help the game.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#34 2021-01-21 01:06:18

LukeM
Website

N1KF wrote:

If pixel graphics are too small, why not scale up the pixels? EE's fullscreen may have looked ugly, but that's because of the aliasing being used at weird resolutions, causing weird stretching. The inconsistency and lack of crisp detail in EE's pixel art didn't help either.

Tbh I doubt you'd be able to fix the stretching problem, pixel art only really looks good scaled up to whole multiples of its original size, which would mean that it probably wouldn't give you enough options for how big it should be. On a 1366x768 screen (which is common on laptops) it would likely be too zoomed out at 1x zoom (around 60% more zoomed out than EE), but too zoomed in at 2x zoom (around 30% more zoomed in than EE).

Wooted by:

#35 2021-01-21 02:41:46

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

NoNK wrote:

invisible portals and invisible blocks are the most harmful thing to the game.

Invisible portals are an S tier block. Invisible blocks and arrows I'd 100% agree with, but invisible portals have so many unique uses.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (4)
mutantdevle1611193306787837

Board footer