Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-14 18:27:07, last edited by Kira (2021-01-14 18:31:56)

Kira

yo check this out

https://jiggmin2.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3182

Similarely to EE, pr2 is a multiplayer flash game and they took measures to prevent the game from dying

how are we unable to do that for ee? I don't wanna play that **** EEU, literally no1 likes the game

---

Plugin that lets you play some of their games on the browser:

https://jiggmin2.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3243

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2021-01-14 19:57:07, last edited by Tomahawk (2021-01-14 19:58:43)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Re: yo check this out

It might just be a game file downloader packaged with an older version of Flash Player that didn't get the killswitch. Maybe that could've been done for EE, but it comes with security risks. Also EEU was meant to be ready to replace it. That browser plugin sounds like a WIP port of flash player and doesn't even support multiplayer games yet. Looks like a huge amount of effort.

Ngl you're not someone I'd have expected to have looked for ways to keep EE alive. Personally I'm fine with letting the current EE die a peaceful death of old-age, rather than cloning it in some other game engine so that 100 people can keep playing it.

Also damn our forums are way sexier.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#3 2021-01-14 21:31:46

Gosha

Tomahawk wrote:

ngl can't see how so

Wooted by: (3)

#4 2021-01-14 23:24:01

Kira

Tomahawk wrote:

It might just be a game file downloader packaged with an older version of Flash Player that didn't get the killswitch. Maybe that could've been done for EE, but it comes with security risks. Also EEU was meant to be ready to replace it. That browser plugin sounds like a WIP port of flash player and doesn't even support multiplayer games yet. Looks like a huge amount of effort.

Ngl you're not someone I'd have expected to have looked for ways to keep EE alive. Personally I'm fine with letting the current EE die a peaceful death of old-age, rather than cloning it in some other game engine so that 100 people can keep playing it.

I don't think the community is asking for an entirely new game tbh and we never did
all we wanted was new content and features to begin with and/or just a laggier platform

NOT

an entirely new game (that was xenonetix's SUPER cool idea btw)
So yeah i'd love to play ee again w everyone else.

#5 2021-01-15 00:06:14

Gosha

All i ever wanted is bring back old ee from 2011 era to newer platform and improved everything

i think campaigns and adding too much packages was a mistake

never loved vector graphics from eeu, pixels give soul to ee

#6 2021-01-15 01:46:23

Kira

Gosha wrote:

All i ever wanted is bring back old ee from 2011 era to newer platform and improved everything

i think campaigns and adding too much packages was a mistake

Totally agree with that. I have no **** clue why we spent 2-3 years on a game that literally about no1 finds enjoyable and will ever find as good as the OG everybodyedits

Wooted by:

#7 2021-01-15 03:21:24, last edited by Norwee (2021-01-15 03:23:54)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Kira wrote:

I don't think the community is asking for an entirely new game tbh and we never did
all we wanted was new content and features to begin with and/or just a laggier platform

That probably brings up the one thing i missed about old EE. It used to not be a laggy piece of ****, and i could play much better. But when i played it in later years it got so bad with choppiness and kicking me out because of slow loading times. It was such garbage. And EEU didn't seem to improve that aspect at all when i tested it long time ago.
I think what most EE players would have really wanted is just a fresh reboot with the same game and how it's performance/style was during 2011/2012 with keeping the good features and getting rid of the garbage addons that sucked in later updates. Sure some of the new blocks allowed more complexity in art style, but eventually the block toolbar got so bloated it blocked half the **** screen. It got annoying and almost made it harder to make creative levels. Sometimes less is more and more is just unnecesarry crap.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#8 2021-01-15 04:17:44, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2021-01-15 04:20:04)

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

i don't know if i'm the only one who feels this way, but it feels like people who say they just want "EE but modern" are just really nostalgic about the past. does anyone else feel the same way?

#9 2021-01-15 11:55:16

Gosha

SirJosh wrote:

i don't know if i'm the only one who feels this way, but it feels like people who say they just want "EE but modern" are just really nostalgic about the past. does anyone else feel the same way?

I have no nostalgia, literally. I already sadly forgot what it was like to play ee in 2011-2012

But I recently played those versions by myself and the game was better in creative aspect.

Right now if i join ee i wouldn't be able to build any world because i don't know how to create worlds
But when i joined old ee which those few packages, it was quite easy to create what i want because i didn't have to spend time choosing block packs. I could just *create*

#10 2021-01-15 12:46:39, last edited by 2b55b5g (2021-01-15 12:49:46)

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

Gosha wrote:

i didn't have to spend time choosing block packs. I could just *create*

Gosha wrote:

adding too much packages was a mistake

says the one who created #GivePeopleBlocks

but yea eeu kinda stinky rn
i miss the pixels honestly

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#11 2021-01-15 13:00:46

Gosha

2B55B5G TNG wrote:

says the one who created #GivePeopleBlocks

it was nonsense that people weren't given a chance to try out all content ee has to offer in the last month of the game existence. That's why #GivePeopleBlocks is justified.

What i am saying is that there shouldn't have been so many blocks in the first place
Each block that is going to be added should be very thoughtful.

I dislike the trend ee took in the past several years where admins would add many colors to existing block pack.

This is good:
SkWtDWr.png

This is bad:
A00UugH.png

You might say "oh no! but i want many colors!"
That's why each pack should be thought through. If there is a specific color missing in the game, a new pack should be created to fulfill the gap. Adding all colors of the rainbow (and more) to all packs results in a lot of blocks that aren't that creative.

#12 2021-01-15 13:05:04

Abiqi
Formerly Excoluss

Gotta say I always found the Basic Red quite odd, despite the fact it's one of the original blocks. But yeah I kinda agree with Gosha there..

Not today...

#13 2021-01-15 15:14:23

Kankurou

Kira wrote:

I am looking forward for updated physics in EEU without 1x1 jumps, better portals and no weird bugs with boosts. For some reasons these issues were never fixed in EE (Maybe they couldn't be fixed). Also EEU performance is much better and the game feels much smoother.

Gosha wrote:

Yeah, I will miss pixel graphic. Hopefully EEU will figure out it's own unique style one day :C

#14 2021-01-15 15:18:28

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

basic white beta white brick white do appear as different colors in the minimap though
same as black
not that many people uses those blocks to create levels anyway
but yea i do kinda agree i have a hard time choosing blocks

she/her

#15 2021-01-15 17:13:30

Gosha

i made eejs 3 years ago which is basically ee around 2009-2010 (no multiplayer tho)

check out maybe this will give you some ideas about what eeu should have
https://eejs.sirjosh3917.com/
https://discord.gg/9DPYZyU

(also i know it's bad, it was made 3 years ago when i was learning js, don't judge me)

Wooted by:

#16 2021-01-15 19:53:45, last edited by Kira (2021-01-15 19:54:12)

Kira

Do we still have EE's source code?

If so why can't we just re-release the game under exe and remove gems entirely?

(Note; i'd be willing to donate for the monthly server cost needs)

#17 2021-01-15 20:50:05

Gosha

Kira wrote:

Do we still have EE's source code?

If so why can't we just re-release the game under exe and remove gems entirely?

(Note; i'd be willing to donate for the monthly server cost needs)

I have the source code of the game updated at 5 Jan 2019, but i won't share it or use it without Satanya permission.

EEOffline is open source, EE is not (although i think it would be easy to ask Satanya for it, it's pretty much the same game)
Also server code would be required.

The worst thing is setting up the PlayerIO database and stuff like that, would take a long time.

Even worse: PlayerIO is expensive af. (but I actually think if there will be like 10 players playing it daily it would be free, learn more at https://playerio.com/pricing/), ee's deal of 75$ a month is amazing considering without that discount ee would need to pay around 500$ monthly

A better solution would be making server and client from the ground up without implementing features like shop, campaigns etc
But you know, that would take a lot of time and money and creative power.

You might want to support SirJosh, he is making Smiley Face Game which already has multiplayer and client and guns but he is little burnt out of it

#18 2021-01-16 01:15:45

Gosha

Kankurou wrote:

I am looking forward for updated physics in EEU without 1x1 jumps, better portals and no weird bugs with boosts. For some reasons these issues were never fixed in EE (Maybe they couldn't be fixed).

Theoretically they could've been fixed, but it would result in the majority of existing worlds to be unplayable.

#19 2021-01-16 01:53:50, last edited by N1KF (2021-01-16 02:10:23)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Gosha wrote:
Kankurou wrote:

I am looking forward for updated physics in EEU without 1x1 jumps, better portals and no weird bugs with boosts. For some reasons these issues were never fixed in EE (Maybe they couldn't be fixed).

Theoretically they could've been fixed, but it would result in the majority of existing worlds to be unplayable.

1x1 hook jumps might be an oversight, but they're not a bug that needs to be fixed. Jumping sets a velocity boost that takes effect next tick, even if you've fallen off a solid block. This is perhaps an unintentional example of coyote time, where a platform game is lenient when checking for jumps after you walk off a platform. The real problem with 1x1 jumps is that you have 1% of a second to pull them off, which is way too precise to feel fair to players.

1x1 hook jumps being removed are a missed opportunity. This classic, unfair EE challenge could be made into a fun timing challenge that raises the skill ceiling and be useful to hide secrets in worlds. Overall I think most of EE physics could be polished so that they don't seem nearly as janky, without breaking how they're generally used.

edit: For the point of EE having too many blocks, I'm gonna copy and paste my post from two months ago and you can't stop me

For years now there has been the idea "EE has too much stuff" floating around, and for a long time I agreed. But recently my opinion has changed, and to explain why I'll give a comparison: If an image editor can handle 16,777,216 colors without people complaining, why can't EE handle a few hundred different-looking blocks?

I don't think the problem is that EE is inherently complex, but that EE overly complicates itself. Packages are sorted purely by date created and not theme or design. Boost arrows look like arrows, even though they actually act like speedy gravity dots. Several blocks are made from the same material and used for the same purpose (wood, bricks, metal, sand, plant) yet are split across many different packages with different appearances. There are blocks for very specific things when other blocks would get the same point across (for example, a cement block when we have grey sand blocks). When all of these are lumped together, it creates a mess that could just be fixed by sorting and redesigning the blocks. By carefully merging and splitting packs together the block problem can be solved without removing anything.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#20 2021-01-16 02:15:03

John

N1KF wrote:

stuff

I think EE has too many blocks because I feel a lot of them are redundant and aren't used. I don't think every block needs 10 different shades of colors either. Just my opinion though.

PW?scale=2

Wooted by:

#21 2021-01-16 06:34:43, last edited by Gosha (2021-01-16 06:35:32)

Gosha

N1KF wrote:

For years now there has been the idea "EE has too much stuff" floating around, and for a long time I agreed. But recently my opinion has changed, and to explain why I'll give a comparison: If an image editor can handle 16,777,216 colors without people complaining, why can't EE handle a few hundred different-looking blocks?

I don't think i can explain but in my opinion EE should not be comparable with image editors. Minimaps? Sure! More colors = better pixel art on minimap. But ee is about gameplay and limiting the color palette gives creator better control over the content itself.

Btw just a offtopic side note i thought you all would be interested. Look at this image:

Hidden text

Nice pixel art isn't it? But do you notice anything .. weird about it?
it might take some time to realize that but the whole image is divided by 8x8 chunks of pixels. And each chunk only has 2 colors

Hidden text

Wooted by:

#22 2021-01-16 07:07:55, last edited by Aoitenshi (2021-01-16 07:27:54)

Aoitenshi

Gosha wrote:
N1KF wrote:

I don't think i can explain but in my opinion EE should not be comparable with image editors. Minimaps? Sure! More colors = better pixel art on minimap. But ee is about gameplay and limiting the color palette gives creator better control over the content itself.

Btw just a offtopic side note i thought you all would be interested. Look at this image:

Nice pixel art isn't it? But do you notice anything .. weird about it?
it might take some time to realize that but the whole image is divided by 8x8 chunks of pixels. And each chunk only has 2 colors

Chiming in -- I'd argue that while the limitation of old pixel art gives way to incite creativity, creators can simply copy the lessons of the old pixel art, and then take them beyond their old limitations to create something better.

The reality is that nowadays, modern pixel games are built ontop of what retro pixel games have managed to achieve thanks to their hardware limitation, and bring them beyond that. They didn't spend their creative energy to reinvent the wheel. In modern pixel games that creative energy is shifted onto other things beyond just making pixel arts pretty; such as adding lighting effects or implementing dynamic pixel arts to further enhance an already well made pixel art. That's primarily why nowadays modern pixel art games such as Celeste or Noita still looked beautiful, alive even, despite having potentially 16,777,216 different color pallete plus all special effects to choose from.

Celeste:
gaming_celeste.png?1556125519

Noita:
ss_434b0355830a7b267a8409d6bbd7dd21c6acf7eb.1920x1080.jpg?t=1604678843

#23 2021-01-16 08:12:53, last edited by 2b55b5g (2021-01-16 08:13:09)

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

Limiting colors is bad cuz ultimately the stuff you can created is limited
Plus in-game art is a thing other than minimap

I still think that EE has some unnecessary blocks though

she/her

#24 2021-01-16 12:50:25

skullz17

2B55B5G TNG wrote:

Limiting colors is bad cuz ultimately the stuff you can created is limited
Plus in-game art is a thing other than minimap

I still think that EE has some unnecessary blocks though

^this

Playing EEU to me actually felt more like being back in 2011 with the limited blocks and no ability to make in-game art. EE definitely has a lot of unnecessary blocks, but I'd still take that over 2011 EE. I want my worlds to look good in-game and feel smooth to play through, I do not want the ugly "art first then fit minis into it somehow" style from 2011. That's why I don't like the colours argument either. It's not enough for the colour orange to only exist as a metal block. I want the right colour AND the right texture.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#25 2021-01-16 13:28:43, last edited by Different55 (2021-01-16 13:29:26)

Different55
Forum Admin

Should be a better way to pick blocks then. Maybe pick texture, then pick color instead of having every combination of everything all in your face at once. Like collapsing the block packs but only the ones that are just recolors. Or maybe something else entirely. But a wall of blocks is pretty inaccessible.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

mutantdevle1611193306787837

Board footer